Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Halonut24

New Game Idea

Do you like spaceships? Do you like sci-fi shows and games like Halo, Star Wars, Star Trek, etc..?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like spaceships? Do you like sci-fi shows and games like Halo, Star Wars, Star Trek, etc..?

• Yes and Yes!
    • Sure, a little. What are you getting at?
    • I like spaceships, but that sci-fi stuff sucks. I like my own stuff.
    • Nope.
  2. 2. If you answered yes to the above: Do you want to play a game with the super-cool and unique spaceships from those shows and games?

• Yeah, that sounds pretty cool.
    • I guess. Never really though about it.
    • Nah. I like arguing with other nerds on various forums about which show/game has the best spaceships.
    • [For those who answered "No" in the first question] Bacon.
  3. 3. AFTER reading my description and idea for the game, do you think that it would make a viable game?

• Yes
    • No
    • Dunno

8 comments in this topic

[WOSV]
Members
324 posts
2,063 battles

So this is something that's floated around in my head for awhile, but I thought I'd share it with you guys.

World of Starships. An epic crossover from various sci-fi shows and games in the familiar XP-driven tier system that are standard in WG titles. 

Basics

There would be 3 major factions at the start: Star Wars, Star Trek, and Halo. Each would have their sub-factions present in their own respective universes.

Like so:

Spoiler

newgameidea1.thumb.png.67339e800a6b47da7c97c2b40e03ec93.png

In text form: Star Wars -> Galactic Empire/Rebellion/Galactic Republic/Confederacy of Independent Systems(CIS)

Star Trek -> United Federation of Planets/Klingon Empire/Romulan Empire/Romulan Republic

Halo --------> United Nations Space Command(UNSC)/Covenant

Each faction would have it's Tier I-X, and each have their own classes. For ship classes, there would be:

Spoiler
  • Corvette/Frigate
    • SW: Correllian Corvette
    • ST: Miranda Class
    • Halo: Charon Class
  • Destroyer
    • SW: ?
    • ST: (Any number of Destroyer class vessels. Star Trek Online a good place to find such ships)
    • Halo: Midlothian Class/CVP Class
  • Criuser
    • SW: Interdictor Class
    • ST: Constitution Class
    • Halo: Halcyon Class/ CCS Class
  • Capital Ship
    • SW: Star Destroyer (Victory II)
    • ST: Galaxy Class
    • Halo: Covenant Assault Carrier

*Capital Ships would function in a similar manner to WoWS Battleships, meant to absorb damage and be able to deal it back, but with a sacrifice of speed and maneuverability.

**Note all ships listed are just hypothetical examples I threw together. If anyone knows of any ships that would better suit these classes

Progression and in-game economy would go much like any WG title. Earn XP in battle, use XP to research modules and other ships, buy with silver/credits. Use special currency (Gold) to purchase special items or Premium Ships.

The Nitty-Gritty (HELP WANTED)

Where the nitty-gritty begins is balancing and fleshing out the Tech Trees. This would take a lot of time, and probably more people than just myself, which is why I'm going to kinda leave it as an open book. If anyone would care to give their input, I would gladly welcome it. I plan on giving addendums once I have given sufficient time to flesh things out. I'm sure anyone with knowledge of these factions are sure to have a basic idea of how the Tech Tree would be structured.

Yeah, sorry for the let-down there.

ADDENDUM 1: 04/05/2018 0906 HRS (MST)

Faction roles/specialties.

Star Wars: SW ships will play as brawlers. Not very adept at ranged combat, but are strong in the armor department. Their Turbolasers will work as close-range shredders. Actually, come to think of it, they wouldn't play much different than KMS BB in WoWS.

+Shield Defense against energy-based weapons (Phasers, Turbolasers)

Partial Shield defense against Covenant Plasma Weapons

-Shields weak against large, kinetic weapons (UNSC MAC guns)

As for each sub-faction:

• Empire: Overall slower, but much tougher than the others. Capital Ships like the Victory II will encapsulate this ideology. Generally slower and kind of sluggish, but will easilly hold their own in a knife fight. [ Offense 3/4, Defense 4/4, Speed 1/4, Small Craft 2/4 ]
  • Rebellion: The Rebels will play in a more hit-and-run fashion. More adept at speed and burst damage. Superior Fighter/Bomber loadouts. [ Offense 2/4, Defense 2/4, Speed 4/4, Small Craft 4/4 ]
  • Republic: The Republic will play similar to the Empire, but will still have better speed benifits than the Empire. [ Offense 2/4, Defense 3/4, Speed 2/4, Small Craft 3/4 ] 
  • CIS: The CIS will be the big hitters of the SW factions. Superior Ship v. Ship armaments, but relatively poor defenses. [ Offense 4/4, Defense 1/4, Speed 3/4, Small Craft 1/4 ]

Star Trek: ST will have to rely on better technology to win fights, as opposed to raw firepower. Think Electronic Warfare. Ships targeted by ST vessels can suffer from numerous system failures, from engines to guns, to shields. (Note; pre-Halo 4 UNSC vessels have no shields, and thus will not be affected by shield reduction from ST ships).

+Superior Tech. Able to cripple more powerful ships for teammates, or for themselves.

-Relatively Weak weapons.

As for each sub-faction:

• Federation: The Federation will probably be the most balanced. Good weapons, good defenses, good tech.[ Offense 2/3, Defense 2/3, Speed 2/3, Tech 2/3 ]
  • Klingon: The Klingons will be the biggest dealers of damage in the ST factions. Superior offensive armament, and with a cloaking ability for certain Birds of Prey, and even the ability to fire in cloak in very specific models.[ Offense 3/3, Defense 1/3, Speed 3/3, Tech 1/3)
  • Romulan: The Romulans will be the best technologically. Firepower-wise, the 1/3 is kind of misleading. It is still on-par with the Federation, but not quite up to their level. The Romulan Cloaking technology is universal, alowing even the largest vessels to seemingly disappear. However, they have no offensive capability in cloak, and need to de-cloak to fire their weapons. Best strategy would be to ambush targets of similar size, or set up cloaked wolfpacks to ambush bigger prey.[ Offense 1/3, Defense 3/3, Speed 1/3, Tech 3/3 ]

Halo: The contrast between the UNSC and Covenant ships is quite large, but they all have a similar specialty: ranged combat. 

+Very powerful ranged weapons

+Good speed for both factions

-UNSC ships lack shields.

-Each faction exclusively uses either Kinetic or Plasma. No in-between.

Sub-factions:

• UNSC: The UNSC will, for most of their line, be almost completely devoid of any form of energy shielding, and rely solely on their Titanium-A hull plating for defense. Weaponry-wise, it is almost exclusively Kinetic. Point-defense autocannons, Archer Missiles, and Nuclear missiles/mines serve as many forms of secondary armament. The main armament is a MAC gun, capable of very large ammounts of Alpha damage, but shields will negate a lot of the damage it can do. Combining and timing a missile strike with a MAC salvo has proved to be effective at breaking shields and still allowing more damage from the MAC round in the Human-Covenant War in Halo lore. UNSC ships are more relegated to Shoot n' Scoot tactics, firing MAC salvos from long range, then using their good speed ratings to run away, avoiding incoming damage.[ Offense (Shielded) 1/2 (Non-shielded) 2/2, Defense 1/2, Speed 2/2 ]
  • Covenant: The Covenant play a lot more like SW vessels, and will not be uncommon to see Covenant Cruisers going toe-to-toe with other SW capital ships and getting away with it. Their heavy plasma weapons are devastating against unshielded targets (like UNSC ships but lack the penetrating power), but can still do damage against shields. A special that the Covenant possess is an Energy Projector, a charge-up weapon not unlike the UNSC MAC guns. It is a massive beam of focused plasma that can reach out much further than their standard Plasma weapons, but will drain the ship of almost all of it's energy in the process, leaving it largely unable to use it's offensive capablities until it can re-charge it's weapons.[ Offense (Shielded) 2/2 (Non-shielded) 1/2, Defense 2/2, Speed 1/2 ]

Edited by Halonut24
  • Cool 1

[SYJ]
[SYJ]
Members
917 posts
2,119 battles

Not sure if the staff will get their panties in a bunch, but there is a game called EVE online, which is almost exactly what you described, and similar to the space battles we have here in WoWS, except 3D. The game is so complicated though. Take wows, add the complicating facts like AP fuse times and HE penetration, and you still have a far simpler game than EVE.  However, its free and totally worth checking out! (Free to play players suffer quite a bit compared to the pay to play players though...)

Sorry for derailing the thread... The idea of a WG starship game is a good one though. Much like EVE, but centered around just combat, XP, and leveling up just like Wg titles. The fun thing would be if tiers 1-10 all fought in the same game. The Capital ship couldn't lock onto corvettes because of its huge guns, and corvettes couldn't do much other than pepper the big guys. Also similar to eve you could have ships of different types (electronic support, attack, defense tank, etc) as well as many weapon types (missiles, lasers, projectiles, etc)

• Cool 1

[WOSV]
Members
324 posts
2,063 battles
1 minute ago, IWantedOption1 said:

Not sure if the staff will get their panties in a bunch, but there is a game called EVE online, which is almost exactly what you described, and similar to the space battles we have here in WoWS, except 3D. The game is so complicated though. Take wows, add the complicating facts like AP fuse times and HE penetration, and you still have a far simpler game than EVE.  However, its free and totally worth checking out! (Free to play players suffer quite a bit compared to the pay to play players though...)

Sorry for derailing the thread... The idea of a WG starship game is a good one though. Much like EVE, but centered around just combat, XP, and leveling up just like Wg titles. The fun thing would be if tiers 1-10 all fought in the same game. The Capital ship couldn't lock onto corvettes because of its huge guns, and corvettes couldn't do much other than pepper the big guys. Also similar to eve you could have ships of different types (electronic support, attack, defense tank, etc) as well as many weapon types (missiles, lasers, projectiles, etc)

I heard a lot about EVE. Stuff about Alliances or something or other. I might try looking into it.

[SYJ]
[SYJ]
Members
917 posts
2,119 battles
5 minutes ago, Halonut24 said:

I heard a lot about EVE. Stuff about Alliances or something or other. I might try looking into it.

Youtube and the wiki are your friend. There is no goal or end. Its like open world, but in space. I personally like WoWS better. If you mess up in eve, your ship is gone for good. In WoWS its waiting back in port for you.

[SOUP]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,313 posts
30 minutes ago, Halonut24 said:

An epic crossover from various sci-fi shows and games

Good luck with the copyrighting and legal shenanigans

[AXANR]
Members
3,354 posts
16,514 battles
2 hours ago, Chobittsu said:

Good luck with the copyrighting and legal shenanigans

This. It would be difficult, but not unheard of, to get the IP holders (CBS/Paramount for Star Trek, Disney/Lucasfilm for Star Wars, and Microsoft for Halo (they kept the rights when Bungie split off)) to agree to a crossover game. But they would likely only agree if proposed by a proven, AAA-level game publisher like EA, and even if your proposal was so good that they said yes to a random dude, it would cost so much for all the licensing fees, and the game development given it'd have to be polished enough to be approved by the IP holders, that it would take a major company to finance it. I doubt even Wargaming has the ability and capital to swing that. 

And you'd run into some major balancing issues between the games anyway...Halo's never been a space combat game, so you could probably fudge a lot of the UNSC ship parameters to balance them, but balancing Star Wars factions and Trek factions against each other would be a nightmare. 

[SOUP]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,313 posts
26 minutes ago, poeticmotion said:

This. It would be difficult, but not unheard of, to get the IP holders (CBS/Paramount for Star Trek, Disney/Lucasfilm for Star Wars, and Microsoft for Halo (they kept the rights when Bungie split off)) to agree to a crossover game. But they would likely only agree if proposed by a proven, AAA-level game publisher like EA, and even if your proposal was so good that they said yes to a random dude, it would cost so much for all the licensing fees, and the game development given it'd have to be polished enough to be approved by the IP holders, that it would take a major company to finance it. I doubt even Wargaming has the ability and capital to swing that. 

And you'd run into some major balancing issues between the games anyway...Halo's never been a space combat game, so you could probably fudge a lot of the UNSC ship parameters to balance them, but balancing Star Wars factions and Trek factions against each other would be a nightmare. 

Plus theres the huge difference in combat styles. Take Mass Effect for example, one of the guys in the background mentions use of a mass-driver weapon. This would be fine and dandy against Star Wars ships that seem to, on a capital ship level, not have the shielding to defend against physical objects (which is why Kylo Ren was able to fly his TIE right into the Raddus' hanger in Last Jedi). I've always said that you don't need to be a Jedi doing a tech-skimming run on the Death Star to kill it, just a near-light speed ram. And The Last Jedi wasn't even the first to consider this tactic, Yang Wen-Li used it decades ago:

And I've always said that the best way to kill a Jedi is to shoot at them with a bullet-based weapon. Bullet hits the blade, melts into ball of white-hot metal, hits Jedi for massive damage. Even if it mostly vapourizes coming out the other side, there'll still be fragments, and if you've ever been hit by splattering boiling water, you know how much it hurts...   Point is, most sci-fis have a weakness another can exploit.

So right away, Mass Effect ships have the advantage over Star Wars ships. Then you start to pile on the other franchises; Babylon 5, Stargate, Halo...
Hell, let's throw Space Battleship Yamato in there too, where later on their main-line ships had weaponry that could blast holes in whole planets

There's also the problem where most of the main sci-fi franchises aren't even consistent with their own canon, the Borg are an excellent example of this. Look at the differences between the Borg of early TNG and of the last episode of Voyager.

1,542 posts
26 battles

This is a cool idea, I love the idea of warships in space! It's a nifty idea. If you want your sci-fi fix though, I have heard good things about EVE online too! 

Sign in to follow this