You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.

40 comments in this topic

[TBOW]
Members
182 posts
1,555 battles

ok so im pretty sure its the same for every tree but once you get to tier 5 it starts to take a while to get to tier 6. I rarely play anything other than American battleships so im stuck on the new york, which is slow, not manuverable and a shot gun shooter. why is it that I cant get into a nice tier 5 or even tier 4 match and am stuck against tier 7s with bismarcks and colrados when I cant broadside them, chase them, turn well or even see them. i think its alittle unfair when 18 out of my last 20 matches were against tier 7s. how am I supposed to get the new mexico

Members
567 posts

Keep the faith and grind as best you can it is tough but your disappointment won't end till you reach Tier 7. I am so sorry you have to go through he ll to get to heaven. 

• Cool 2

[TSG4B]
[TSG4B]
Members
1,710 posts
9,402 battles

I think for the OP, is to SLOW down on the progress ..... because the OP only had a hand full of battles in t4 and t5, and small number of battle in lower tier in cruiser t2-t4

I think the OP should stay at t5, grind as much, and start to learn and dig deep into game mechanics before whining about the MM.

More advice:

if you are bottom tier game, try to shoot dd/cruiser, as they tend to get to you first, they are fast/speedy/easy target. You can still do significant damage to higher tier bb provided you survive that long. So then again, this come back to learn the game mechanic and dig deep. Don't go to t6 too fast

• Cool 1
  • Bad 2

Members
5,579 posts
3,952 battles

A lot of people want matchmaking changed so you only see one tier in either direction. I think it would make the game a lot more enjoyable too.

Edited by RichelieuKaiNi
  • Cool 6

[O_O]
Members
4,333 posts
9,274 battles

Tier 5 does get the shaft.  In my last 136 games in a tier 5 ship, I was playing against tier 6's and/or 7's in 92 of them, or 68%.  Since tier 4 is protected, advancing to tier 5 can be a harsh kick in the...guts.

However, the grind to tier 6 really isn't that long.  And, the MM isn't as harsh once you get to tier 6 (31% bottom tier, in my experience).

When playing tier 5 against tier 7, be more cautious.  If you rush to the front lines in a tier 5, you WILL be focused on and you WILL be sunk quickly.  Playing as a bottom tier ship requires you to hide behind islands or smoke as much as possible, so you won't be seen but can still deliver hits.

Tier 5 can be frustrating, but it can also teach you some valuable lessons that will pay off in higher tiers.  Good luck!

Edited by desmo_2
  • Cool 4

[O_O]
Members
4,333 posts
9,274 battles
3 minutes ago, RichelieuKaiNi said:

A lot of people want matchmaking changed so you only see one tier in either direction. I think it would make the game a lot more enjoyable too.

I think it would make game play more bland.  I don't want to play -2 tiers every game, but I do enjoy the challenge now and then.  In my last 935 games playing tier 5-8 ships, I was bottom tier in 328 of them, or 35%.  I am fine with that.

• Cool 1

Members
4,441 posts
6,134 battles

Tier 4 is fair.  Tier 5 can be HELL if you you are a tier 5 ship.  Hell. Burning eternal HELL. Tier 5 is weird. U see tier 6-7 ships....most unfair tier I ever played. BUT....if you can do good and avoid death it can be cool.....IMO.  IMO. Which taint worth a huge batch. :Smile_teethhappy:

[WOLF2]
Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles

Welcome to this portion of the game.

giphy.gif

• Funny 6

Members
1,232 posts
20,582 battles

NY is a decent BB and it' rifles are awesome, same ones as on NM, which is a beast.

Colorado is really tanky too, but those 16" rifles area bit more floaty than the 14".

To be honest with myself; though, I may have to say that the Frenchie BB's are slightly better....maybe.

[NG-NL]
Members
4,952 posts
8,094 battles
1 hour ago, embeddeddear97 said:

ok so im pretty sure its the same for every tree but once you get to tier 5 it starts to take a while to get to tier 6. I rarely play anything other than American battleships so im stuck on the new york, which is slow, not manuverable and a shot gun shooter. why is it that I cant get into a nice tier 5 or even tier 4 match and am stuck against tier 7s with bismarcks and colrados when I cant broadside them, chase them, turn well or even see them. i think its alittle unfair when 18 out of my last 20 matches were against tier 7s. how am I supposed to get the new mexico

Feel free to add me in-game. Still got a few T5 and T6 ships in port, and the grind to T6 is more bearable when playing with a veteran.

Members
1,114 posts
3,141 battles

American battleships aren't that great until tier 8 IMO. You're just kinda stuck with what you have, keep your chin up and keep playing matches. You'll get there. 

[AAA]
Members
391 posts
5,123 battles

The awesome part of being up tiered is as I understand it more profitable at least xp wise to damage/sink higher tier ships. 

Im at t8 on a lot of lines and I’m up against t9-10 all the time but I rack up xp.

learn to play the ship. I liked the NY. Solid early bb. Punishes cls. If you are up against a high tier bb switch to HE and light the up. Learn how to angle. 

If you think the NY is slow wait until you get the NM which seems like nothing could be slower until you get to Colorado. Better learn to sail slowly 

• Cool 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,706 posts
11,320 battles

You earn more xp for shooting ships at a higher tier than yourself, so when you get a bottom tier match.. just think of it as a chance to earn more XP and get to the next ship faster.  Also, it should be noted that the New Mexico and Colorado are also slow bathtub battleships, so if you want a faster line you might wanna try IJN BBs.

[DYING]
Members
21 posts
7,372 battles
4 hours ago, embeddeddear97 said:

...im stuck on the new york...and am stuck against tier 7s with bismarcks...

1477352791471.png

• Funny 1

Members
3,628 posts
13,419 battles
4 hours ago, RichelieuKaiNi said:

I wonder how many new players found WoWs to be unenjoyable after hitting tier 5 and uninstalled because of the +2 -2 MM wall. We'd probably have a lot more players if it wasn't for that.

• Cool 3

[SF-E]
Beta Testers
941 posts
4,055 battles
5 hours ago, embeddeddear97 said:

maybe this will help? @UrPeaceKeeper

Edited by outwardpanicjoe

[STW-M]
Supertester
1,453 posts
5,488 battles
4 hours ago, outwardpanicjoe said:

maybe this will help? @UrPeaceKeeper

Thanks for posting it!  Hopefully it helps, but it is understandably a little dated.  New York's frequent uptiering to T7 makes it kind of a bear to play.  Keep your nose to the grind stone though, the New Mexico is totally worth it!  Good map positioning here will help in the future with other USN BB's so the grind is 100% worth it!  One thing to remember is that New York's bow is overmatched by 14" guns and above, so it's better to angle slightly than it is to be totally bow on unless the ship shooting at you is far enough away you think dispersion might ruin the shot!

[4HIM]
Members
1,700 posts
3,864 battles

A slow BB isn't a huge problem when facing T4 and T5 ships.  When against T7's, it's a pain.  The T7's are faster, better armored, and generally have better range.  But just keep grinding if US BB's is what you want.  I stopped at the New Mex because I was just tired of the slow BB's, and once you have the New Mex, it's an even longer grind to get the Colorado, yet another slow BB.  Understand the North Carolina is better becaue it gets out of that same 21 knot tugboat mode.  I just couldn't stand playing any more of those slowpokes. 

Members
242 posts
608 battles
10 hours ago, embeddeddear97 said:

Oh I definitely feel your pain, friend. I am on the New Mexico and I honestly can only play about one game a day because I have zero fun in this ship. Hope the Colorado is a breath of fresh air, but I'm scared I won't enjoy the line until I hit the North Carolina...

Good thing I am having a blast in the Cleveland right now. I have always struggled to not suck in cruisers, but the Cleveland (and hopefully the entire upcoming US CL line) seems to be my soulmate Cruiser :fish_cute_2:

Beta Testers
1,157 posts
7,844 battles

Tier 5 and Tier 8 are the two worst tiers for high percentage of bottom tier games, and also the difference in capability between the bottom and top tier ships at that level is significant.  Just got to grind through it, temper your aggressiveness when bottom tier, and try to learn lessons as you take your lumps.

Edited by Spooooooooooooooooooooon

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,017 posts
11,538 battles

I'd honestly drop back to T4 and practice more.  T5 is quite brutal.

[BBP]
Members
333 posts
3,971 battles
10 hours ago, cometguy said:

Welcome to this portion of the game.

giphy.gif

It happens again at Tier 8.

[TBOW]
Members
182 posts
1,555 battles
10 hours ago, Reymu said:

Feel free to add me in-game. Still got a few T5 and T6 ships in port, and the grind to T6 is more bearable when playing with a veteran.

sure thing

[KSC]
Members
39 posts
14,577 battles

My recommendation is to use this time to expand your play to another ship class.  Grind a game or three in the NY, then drop down and play a few games in a lower tier DD or CA.  

Players who heavily weight their games to one class miss out on a lot IMO.  At the very least, playing other classes helps you learn their strengths and weaknesses much better, which then translates to better performance in your preferred ships.  In the OP's case, this might help make the game more fun as he'll have a few games in T3-4 MM in between T5 MM games.

• Cool 1

[WOLF5]
Members
1,140 posts
8,303 battles

OK, so I like the New York (and the Texas) even given the constant uptiering of tier 5.  A few thoughts.

1) Adjust expectations...and exceed them.  Being in a tier 7 match is sort of a bad news/good news situation.  The bad news is obvious: you are no longer the big kid on the block, as you may have been in the Wyoming, and tier 7 ships can do nasty things.  But the good news is this.  If you are a low-tier battleship in a typical five battleship match, frankly, not a whole lot is expected of you.  If you can deliver anything, anything at all, you have now officially "exceeded expectations," as the parlance goes.  If you can deliver more than your opposing T5 BB - and chances are, he or she feels just like you do about the match - even better.

2) Tag along.  A tier 7 battleship usually beats a tier 5 battleship, but a tier 7 and a tier 5 beat an opposing tier 7 almost every time.  Feel free to sail along with one of your bigger teammates and contribute to his/her power, rather than trying to be a power center yourself.  Doing this will also help you get used to the newer and bigger maps.  Of course, sometimes all of your high-tier comrades will make bad choices - playing too passively, lemming training, etc.  You can't win them all.  Except in some limited, usually late game circumstances, you shouldn't be expected to lead the charge - just try to recognize a good charge when it is happening and be part of it.

3) Don't always swing for the fences.  It sounds like you have learned to shoot for citadels.  Great.  You can still do that on cruisers when the opportunity presents.  But don't feel you need to aim waterline against higher tier battleships in all but the most golden of opportunities.  Shooting for the upper belt, superstructure, or center of mass can often get you 6-7K with some consistency; that may be better, if less spectacular, than going for the home run (although you can citadel T7s - Nagato, for instance, can be particularly vulnerable).  Although the current HE battleship meta is stupid, if you have nothing to shoot at but an angled Colorado or Gneisenau, feel free to load the HE.

Edited by Lillehuntrix
  • Cool 1