You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
thunderball2

Does upper tier US cruisers NOT having torpedoes affect how often you play them?

37 comments in this topic

[O_O]
Members
4,333 posts
9,279 battles

No.  It's neat for high-tier cruisers to have torps.  But, realistically, I haven't landed many hits with them (except one Ibuki game when I dropped two spreads of torps into a distant smoke screen and SCORED! 1 kill, two additional hits on separate ships).  I have no idea how effective they were for area denial, as there is no way to measure such a thing.

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
1,312 posts
9,404 battles

No, it's more a case of "How many lines am I working on?"

• Cool 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,711 posts
11,332 battles

Not really, the torps were never good enough to be anything more than a last resort weapon anyways.

[B2P]
Members
498 posts
13,229 battles

Yes, especially in clan battles.  Where you might get cornered and consider a torp run to take out your attacker, in a US CA you're only other option is to ram.  Other than that, not really.

*Edit* Misread the OP, thought he was asking if it affected HOW you play them, not how HOW OFTEN

Answer, no, I still play them just as often.  They have their own strengths.

Edited by DreadRaybo

Beta Testers
1,291 posts
3,583 battles

I guess it just depends on the situation mainly one has to be side by side with battleships most of the time when playing anything after tier 5 in that line.

[HINON]
Supertester
18,932 posts
12,454 battles

Nope.

[STW-D]
Supertester, Supertest Coordinator
1,646 posts
5,015 battles

Nope.  I find the US cruisers to be perfectly capable ships without torpedoes.  Enjoyable to play in fact.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,380 posts
10,163 battles

It actually is a turn off for me and while I still play them it isn't as much as other lines with them like German and British.

[GUYS]
Alpha Tester
2,700 posts
3,265 battles

Not at all. I just prefer sailing Zao more than my DM. I do consistently better in Zao and the torps rarely come into it (but when they do....WOOHOOO!)

[AAA]
Members
395 posts
5,167 battles

No. 

I forget other cl/a have them. Last resort weapon on cl/a.

in the DM I don’t have time to play with torps. To busy getting rounds down range

Members
842 posts

Only the British and IJN cruisers really have useful torpedoes past Tier 5 anyway.

The 6km of the German, and the 4km of the Russian are practically useless, because you almost never can survive getting close enough to use them.  The German torps are mostly useful as a THREAT - that forces opponents to try to stay out of their range. You don't actually get to use them much at all.

Russian CA torps are usable solely in ambushes. And that happens extremely rarely.

And even British torps, while quite usable, aren't too much of a threat against anything not a very wounded opponent. 

IJN torps of course, ARE very much a deadly threat.

But, NO, I don't miss something that I rarely get to use in most other lines.  If I feel like I want to torp in a cruiser, I take my IJN ships out. 

[WAG]
Members
25 posts
2,666 battles

i grew up plaing the cleveland and the pepsicola, so it does not matter at all to me, in fact it deters me of making suisidal runs i would otherwise do in shups like the lagalisoniegre

[NAV]
Beta Testers
81 posts
2,584 battles

No, their lack of torps doesn't mean I play them less often. However it does have a large effect on how I'd play it, and how other people act around you.

Very often in a US cruiser you'll find enemy BBs yolo charging you constantly.
Even if "you don't get kills" with cruiser torps, there are a lot of situations where you'll see BBs hesitate going after you, because there is the threat that they'll lose 70%-100% of their health. And if they don't hesitate. Often enough you can punish them even with the only 4-6km torps of the RU and GE cruisers.

[DOG]
Members
381 posts
5,583 battles

It used to.  But after running up the German line, I figured out you really don't hit much with cruiser torpedoes anyway.  At least most of the time.

Caveat to that is the game I had yesterday in Omaha.  It was that map where area C is between a land mass on the map edge and two big long islands running parrallel to the land mass on the other side of the cap.  There is a gap between the islands, and, having had decent luck running this gap before, I decided to try it.  So I came into C via the channel and hit my hydro just before clearing it, since I could see it was being capped.  I detected 2 cruisers just sitting there, parked like it was Lovers' Lane, thinking the island was protecting them.  By the time they spotted me I was 2-3 km away and launched all my starboard torpedoes.  I killed one with the torps and damaged the other to the point that I could finish him with a couple of salvos from my guns.  

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,608 posts
14,017 battles

The only USN Cruiser I play is Des Moines.  She has auto loading 203mm guns with SHS shells, radar, hydro, AA, cap contesting ability.  The other USN Cruisers don't have that.  There's no point to most of them.

On 4/5/2018 at 2:44 AM, EAnybody said:

Only the British and IJN cruisers really have useful torpedoes past Tier 5 anyway.

The 6km of the German, and the 4km of the Russian are practically useless, because you almost never can survive getting close enough to use them.  The German torps are mostly useful as a THREAT - that forces opponents to try to stay out of their range. You don't actually get to use them much at all.

Russian CA torps are usable solely in ambushes. And that happens extremely rarely.

And even British torps, while quite usable, aren't too much of a threat against anything not a very wounded opponent. 

IJN torps of course, ARE very much a deadly threat.

But, NO, I don't miss something that I rarely get to use in most other lines.  If I feel like I want to torp in a cruiser, I take my IJN ships out. 

Those 6km torpedoes on German Cruisers are useful because of that range.  Most especially when German Cruisers are at their best:  Prowling around islands with the Best Hydro in the game, with good guns, and useful torpedo arcs with useful ranges.  Hindenburg in particular, when she gets into that short range fight, is dangerous as f--k.  People only talk about her long range prowess, but in short ranged fighting, she is deadly.  Troll armor for short range, great guns, massive torpedo armament for that kind of fight.  A Hindenburg can fight around islands, get the drop on even a BB, and instantly put them down.  The armor is so good, the torpedo power so deadly, that BBs simply give up when you catch them.

You try a torpedo run on someone with Minotaur, Neptune, you're going to get citadeled to hell and back to port.  Hindenburg will take the punches to the face, smile, then drop tons of torps into you.  German Cruisers are packed with torpedoes.

The power of torpedoes on a Cruiser cannot be overstated.  They keep people honest if they want to go after you.  I will happily push my BB to run down a torpedo-less USN Cruiser because I'll just simply tank their damage and overpower them with big guns.  But a Cruiser with torps?  They give me pause.

IJN Cruiser torpedoes are useful.  IJN Cruisers are actually at their best when they have to kite.  When on the retreat, they can drop torpedoes as they go.  Hell, they eventually have the range where they can kite, drop torps as they retreat, and still be concealed.

USN Cruisers do none of this.  They don't have the same short ranged weapon to put someone instantly down, DM has the closest with her powerful auto-loading guns.  All damage they do is reliant on guns, and sometimes that's not a good or even best option for a Cruiser.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

[SMI-1]
[SMI-1]
Members
272 posts
8,398 battles

Does make a difference in my tier 10 Hindy & Mino, those torps do coming in handy for CB's, that's about the only place I can see they have a advantage.

Thanks,

Sere_Pj

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,423 posts
3,367 battles

No not really. I don't torp that often with my Nurnberg (hence why I went C hull) and torping opportunities just go down the higher in tier I get. I don't even think I've ever used my Roon's torps yet. Granted, those are both German cruisers, but the point still stands. Honestly the thing keeping me out of my US cruisers right now is... Well, the Pensacola. Sure sweetie I'll get that last 60k XP done before the split happens so we can get a free Baltimore, I just need to work on the Nagato some. And the Roon. And the Queen Elizabeth. And the La Galissonniere. And oh man have you SEEN what the Leander can do? That thing is AMAZING! Although I will admit, I do prefer Pensacola to my Myoko as of right now.

Edit: Although one thing I will say is that, when on the receiving end of one, lack of torps is the reason behind the ONLY situation in which you will hear someone say "Oh thank god, it's only a Cleveland".

Members
179 posts
2,563 battles

Sort of...

US cruisers have a host of issues that make them lackluster, and while cruiser torpedoes are only useful as last-ditch weapons, the lack of them on US navy cruisers is just another mark against them. The situations where cruiser torpedoes are useful are relatively rare, but they can still happen... and the US navy cruisers simply lack this option. But that's not my main frustration with them. The absurd, arching shells makes them less effective against DD's, and they suffer the same "made of wet paper" problem of nearly all cruisers in the game - if anything looks at them funny, they lose 1/3 their hitpoints. It ceases to be fun after a while. They just have nothing going for them except "great AAA," which is only useful if a CV shows up, and is completely passive - you don't have fun while using your AAA in game, even if it is effective. In, short, they have proven to be weak, fragile targets and horribly disappointing.

Edited by old_radagast

Members
671 posts
2,201 battles

I found Torps to very useful to deter bum-rushing by BBs when you're in a defensive position playing mid tier German cruisers.  I ran in to more than a few situations grinding the NoLa or Pensacola where a BB would rush my defensive position without fear where, if I was even in a Nurnberg, there would be no way they'd do that without getting getting 6 torps in return.

[DRACS]
Members
3,350 posts

Not at all. In the case of the heavies, their amazing AP makes up for it.

My issue with them is how ridiculously fragile they are while not having the smoke and great heals the RN cruisers do. Des Moines is a DPM monster, but it absolutely depends on remaining concealed behind islands to succeed. A spotted DM is a soon to be dead DM. And I imagine the Worcester will be the same.

If she had the 30mm upper belt like Zao does, she'd be much more comfortable to play in matches with loads of 16 inch guns as she could go sharply angled forward and shell ships with her forward guns only like Moskva does.

[ARRGG]
Members
4,674 posts
7,503 battles
On 4/4/2018 at 2:48 PM, thunderball2 said:

Does upper tier US cruisers NOT having torpedoes affect how often you play them?

For me without Torps makes them less exciting to play, couple that with a Russian bias .. no other way to explain it ...and do not play much high tier in them