Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
_Dracarys

regarding maximizing gain from the USN cruiser split

17 comments in this topic

[TNG]
Members
813 posts
6,173 battles

Some community contributors have suggested that we should buy every USN cruiser that will be part of the split to maximize our gains. I am not sure if it's true.

Let say I buy the tier 7 cruiser (pensacola) for 1 million credits (hypothetical number).

After the split, I will get the tier 6 pensacola, the new tier 7 cruiser.

I then sell both ships: new tier 7 will be around 500k credits. tier 6 will be definitely less than 500k credits. In total i get less than 1 million I invested. 

Am I correct in this assumption? 

• Bad 1

[WOLFB]
Members
2,586 posts
4,956 battles

I don’t think people buy the ships to make money. I think they do it for camouflage. So buy the permanent camo on one ship and get it on the new one. It’s like 2 camos for 1.

[ASHIP]
Members
582 posts
5,212 battles

I actually have a question in this regard: I'm planning on maximizing the number of port slots I gain out of this. If I buy every ship in the line, will I get a new port slot for each, or should I only buy every second ship in the line?

[UDEAD]
[UDEAD]
Beta Testers
1,024 posts
10,186 battles

Can you guys not start new threads on this and just use the search function instead?  This split has been covered many, many times already including some youtube videos,  why should people have to re-inform those that can't just type "USN CRUISER SPLIT" into the forum search tab?

On top of everything else, WG will kindly explain the EXACT process and rewards for owned ships, about a week before the patch drops.  I wouldn't do anything but grind the US cruiser line at this point, save buying ships for the WG approved notice.

• Cool 3
  • Boring 1

[STW-D]
Supertester, Supertest Coordinator
1,646 posts
5,009 battles

What about just buying the ships so you could actually play them?  The USCA/L line is rather good.  it's not excellent in specific ways that other lines are i suppose, generalists in some ways, but man they are still pretty good ships.  AA is good.  Kiting ability is great.  Firing over islands, check.  Radar - in abundance.  You might actually find that you like to play them if you gave them half a chance.

• Cool 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,711 posts
11,331 battles

Before the release, WG will make official announcements and make it all very clear. I wouldn't over think it till then. I have all the USN cruiser in port (with a premium camo on the Cleveland) but that isn't to say its the best way to maximize the gains.

Beta Testers
1,291 posts
3,583 battles

Well you get the value of the higher tiered ones as well  like New Orleans and Baltimore at least that's how it went last time for Russian destroyers

Members
63 posts
7,832 battles

You’re not going to make money, but you will save money by not having to buy the replacement ship. Think of it as a BOGO deal.

[TSG4B]
[TSG4B]
Members
1,713 posts
9,452 battles

Dear players who are too lazy to use the search function,

Please use the mouse click function and kindly click on the link

OR

OR

Wait, BUT I don't like reading, my reading comprehension skills is out of the window. That OK, no need to whine, kindly use mouse click function and click on this link; its video

2 hours ago, _Dracarys said:

Let say I buy the tier 7 cruiser (pensacola)

1 hour ago, BiggieD61 said:

Can you guys not start new threads on this

you do realize that not every one happy on earth, right? right? right?

• Funny 1

Alpha Tester
3,476 posts
1,521 battles

I keep getting hung up on if I should unlock the Pensacola or not.  I mean it take 70 kp on the Cleveland to unlock the Pensacola but I am going to get the Pensacola for free after the split anyway so if I wanted to work toward the Tier 9 light cruiser wouldn't I be better off just saying the 70k XP and using it to unlock the Tier 9 Light cruiser?   I guess I am wondering if I miss out on anything with the Cleveland by not at least unlocking the Pensacola?  

[SALTY]
Members
116 posts
4,214 battles
6 minutes ago, Midnitewolf said:

I keep getting hung up on if I should unlock the Pensacola or not.  I mean it take 70 kp on the Cleveland to unlock the Pensacola but I am going to get the Pensacola for free after the split anyway so if I wanted to work toward the Tier 9 light cruiser wouldn't I be better off just saying the 70k XP and using it to unlock the Tier 9 Light cruiser?   I guess I am wondering if I miss out on anything with the Cleveland by not at least unlocking the Pensacola?  

If you own a ship and it moves, you are generally awarded both ships. If you already own (not just researched) both ships in both slots, you are given the credit value of the ships AND you get both ships, which is why line splits are very valuable in terms of making credits. You can then double dip by selling ships you don't like or intend to play, but the new US cruisers should be in a better place overall.

To maximize your gain you need to own the US cruisers from 6 to 9. Cleveland, Pensacola, New Orleans, Baltimore. I highly recommend grinding out those ships before the patch drops. 

Edited by harikari25

[WOLF1]
Members
1,984 posts

quick question about camo, new orleans has camo, after split, baltimore will be the t8 will it have permanent camo too?

[PROJX]
Members
967 posts
15,468 battles
2 hours ago, senseNOTmade said:

I actually have a question in this regard: I'm planning on maximizing the number of port slots I gain out of this. If I buy every ship in the line, will I get a new port slot for each, or should I only buy every second ship in the line?

If the policy is the same as the past, you don’t net a new port slot unless an existing ship moves - you get the moved ship and the ship which now occupies the tier formerly occupied by the moved ship.   This is the scenario where you can get a free port slot if you sell either the moved ship or the compensation ship.  If you have all the USN Cruisers in the current line, when the spit occurs, you would get silver value for the overlapping ships affected by the move, but no extra port slots.  If you want the extra slots, having every other ship will fill out the new CA line (the new CL line will have the moved Cleveland if you had this ship) & by selling the unwanted ships, you’ll get the free ports.

Edited by hangglide42
  • Cool 1

[PROJX]
Members
967 posts
15,468 battles
3 hours ago, _Dracarys said:

Some community contributors have suggested that we should buy every USN cruiser that will be part of the split to maximize our gains. I am not sure if it's true.

Let say I buy the tier 7 cruiser (pensacola) for 1 million credits (hypothetical number).

After the split, I will get the tier 6 pensacola, the new tier 7 cruiser.

I then sell both ships: new tier 7 will be around 500k credits. tier 6 will be definitely less than 500k credits. In total i get less than 1 million I invested. 

Am I correct in this assumption? 

Hey Dracarys! - the answer to your question depends on what you consider the definition of "gains" in your question to be. 

Before you act on any of this, I would caution you wait until the official announcement happens which should outline the split effects in full detail.

If WG does what it's done for the most recent Russian DD line split (this is a key IF), here's what should happen:

WOWS Enjoyment - When Lines Split...

WG has a very Player-friendly policy when a Tech Tree Line splits.  Players are generously compensated new ships depending on what ships they have in port at the time of the split.  This article explains the mechanics of what happens as of the 1st 2 line splits that occurred and what is anticipated for the 2018 USN Cruiser Line split in specific detail.  If you want to know what ships to have in your port to net some free ships w/o the grind, this post is for you. (This post will be kept current re: WG Policy as to what happens.)

If it's cash equivalent by selling everything after the split, you generally won't make a profit if you had to buy a new ship to take advantage of the split since you only sell a ship for 1/2 the purchase price - as your example shows (i.e. you'd get 500K back + probably something around 330K for the T6 in your specifc hypothetical).  If you already owned the Pensacola and this was a sunk cost, you would earn the silver w/o the upfront 1M outlay in your example making this possibly more compelling for you.

Why folks are suggesting that having all the ships affected maximizes gains are that overlaps between ships you currently have at a tier and a ship that will be moved into the slot will result in silver compensation due to the overlap. If you didn't have a ship in the slot that a ship was moved into, the compensation of the new ship occupying the former slot is a free ship & free slot.  There is also a mechanic for duplicating any premium cammo you may have bought for the existing affected ships which results in you receiving a second Premium cammo (something in the 3-5K doubloon range as far as value goes - I haven't purchased Premium perma cammos so take those numbers w/ a grain of salt).

In my case, my definition of the desired gains is to have the new CA line filled out as cheaply as possible (everything is currently unlocked in the old line, but I didn't keep the Pensacola & New Orleans & currently have only the Cleveland & Baltimore of the ships affected by the USN split).   As a result, I plan to buy back the Pensacola (hopefully on a sale at 30% off prior to the actual split). This will have the following effect:

• Get Buffalo (since the Baltimore is being downtiered)
  • Baltimore -> T8 (new CA line)
  • Get New Orleans (since the Pensacola is being downtiered)
  • Pensacola -> T6 (new CA line)
  • Cleveland -> T8 (new CL line)
  • The overlap between the Pensacola & Cleveland should result in some compensation in the form of silver (due to the overlap of the Pensacola (new tier) and Cleveland (old tier))

In my case, I fill 2 gaps in the CA line at T9 & T7 (i.e. get 2 ships+ports) for a fractional price of a Pensacola

Good luck w/ whatever you decide!  o7

Edited by hangglide42
  • Cool 1

Members
567 posts

I have been reading all the links to this Split I don't have any USN Cruisers, If I tried {I won't} I could get to the Cleveland fast one day maybe two.

I am waiting on the Free Ships and Credits to entice me to come back to play.  I am Lazy

[TNG]
Members
813 posts
6,173 battles
23 hours ago, hangglide42 said:

If it's cash equivalent by selling everything after the split, you generally won't make a profit if you had to buy a new ship to take advantage of the split since you only sell a ship for 1/2 the purchase price - as your example shows (i.e. you'd get 500K back + probably something around 330K for the T6 in your specifc hypothetical).  If you already owned the Pensacola and this was a sunk cost, you would earn the silver w/o the upfront 1M outlay in your example making this possibly more compelling for you.

Thanks so much! thi is the answer i was looking for!

=)

• Cool 1

[PROJX]
Members
967 posts
15,468 battles
9 minutes ago, _Dracarys said:

Thanks so much! thi is the answer i was looking for!

=)

The one caveat to the answer I gave is if you had a sale on the USN Cruisers prior to the split.   If you picked up a ship during the sale (in your example a Pensacola for $700K since.a T7 is 30% off during a sale), the split occurred, then you sold both ships for 50% back in silver while NOT in a discounted sale period - you would make a small silver profit in your example of maybe $130K.

Edited by hangglide42

Sign in to follow this