You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

A tale of two cruisers.

13 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
5,709 posts
3,894 battles

Cruiser #1 - Emerald.  Tier V, UK.

Bonuses - smoke, spotter aircraft (not at the same time); ridiculous numbers of torpedoes for her tier, firing off both sides; heal ability.

Downsides - fragile as hell, outranged by almost everything; no high-explosive shells from main armament.

Cruiser #2 - Omaha. Tier V, US.

Bonuses - HE, which is actually pretty good.

Downsides - somewhat fragile, but still seems tougher than Emerald. Fewer torpedoes, with slightly shorter range. No spotter a/c, only fighter. No smoke and no heal.

Disclosures:

Ground the Emerald a long time ago in relative terms (October) and I have since ground multiple lines up multiple tiers and unlocked two French battleships in that quest. So differences in player experience could account for the conclusions that follow.

Outcomes:

The Emerald grind seemed to go forever; I think it might even have been a couple of months, because it was just such a disheartening ship to be in. The only thing that made me pick myself up and do it rather than switching lines was the quest for the Vampire - she was one of only two eligible ships I had (the other was the Danae), and by the time it was all over I'd worked up enough XP and free XP to trade up to the Leander. Recommendation: DO NOT make the RN cruisers your first line. She's worth the grind because she teaches good lessons, but you really do need to be experienced. I still play her from time to time to see if I can make her work, but I would never seriously want to grind her again.  Smoke has its advantages but also its downsides - if your spotting (and your backup) disappears, so do your targets and your damage opportunities.

The Omaha (which I just got done finishing over Easter) took me two DAYS (albeit with a premium account and some enriching camos), and if I had to grind her all over again I would (and I will, if I want the Dallas when it comes out). She was fun. The US cruiser line is IMO a good one for beginners. The ability to set fires and do ongoing damage to ships that otherwise outgun you is a MASSIVE morale booster, even if some of my games ended quickly and ingloriously. The key, I found, is to stick with friendly battleships. Further experimentation in this vein with the Emerald is required.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[NOOOB]
Members
1,436 posts
12,030 battles

Battle of the “Which Cruiser  is less crappy?”, two of my least favorite ships in the game.  Nothing like being in one of these two cruisers and being tiered up into a tier 7 battle

[XBRTC]
Members
1,197 posts
7,135 battles

I like Omaha (and Murmansk and Marblehead and even Phoenix), but somewhat fragile?

I lolpenned one through the bow yesterday... with another cruiser. That's more than somewhat fragile.

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,257 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Cruiser #1 - Emerald.  Tier V, UK.

Bonuses - smoke, spotter aircraft (not at the same time); ridiculous numbers of torpedoes for her tier, firing off both sides; heal ability.

Downsides - fragile as hell, outranged by almost everything; no high-explosive shells from main armament.

Cruiser #2 - Omaha. Tier V, US.

Bonuses - HE, which is actually pretty good.

Downsides - somewhat fragile, but still seems tougher than Emerald. Fewer torpedoes, with slightly shorter range. No spotter a/c, only fighter. No smoke and no heal.

Disclosures:

Ground the Emerald a long time ago in relative terms (October) and I have since ground multiple lines up multiple tiers and unlocked two French battleships in that quest. So differences in player experience could account for the conclusions that follow.

Outcomes:

The Emerald grind seemed to go forever; I think it might even have been a couple of months, because it was just such a disheartening ship to be in. The only thing that made me pick myself up and do it rather than switching lines was the quest for the Vampire - she was one of only two eligible ships I had (the other was the Danae), and by the time it was all over I'd worked up enough XP and free XP to trade up to the Leander. Recommendation: DO NOT make the RN cruisers your first line. She's worth the grind because she teaches good lessons, but you really do need to be experienced. I still play her from time to time to see if I can make her work, but I would never seriously want to grind her again.  Smoke has its advantages but also its downsides - if your spotting (and your backup) disappears, so do your targets and your damage opportunities.

The Omaha (which I just got done finishing over Easter) took me two DAYS (albeit with a premium account and some enriching camos), and if I had to grind her all over again I would (and I will, if I want the Dallas when it comes out). She was fun. The US cruiser line is IMO a good one for beginners. The ability to set fires and do ongoing damage to ships that otherwise outgun you is a MASSIVE morale booster, even if some of my games ended quickly and ingloriously. The key, I found, is to stick with friendly battleships. Further experimentation in this vein with the Emerald is required.

Chthulhu, don't be afraid of using AP in the Omaha when you get good shots on broadside cruisers and sometimes BBs.  The Omaha's AP is actually quite solid.  It's not just an HE spammer.

[SF-3]
Members
1,428 posts
7,870 battles

Now tell me, how would you feel if you ground out KM, IJN, RU, RN, French cruisers, then went back to the Omaha, sweet jesus that thing is so out dated not even funny. Also, lets not forget the constant T5 up tiering thanks to protected MM.

[ARGSY]
Members
5,709 posts
3,894 battles
1 hour ago, Kevs02Accord said:

how would you feel if you ground out KM, IJN, RU, RN, French cruisers, then went back to the Omaha

I can't speak for the French, Germans, Japanese and Russians, but my comment that the Omaha was a fun ship is made in the context of having ground out the British as high as Tier VIII.

@Crucis I cheerfully admit that I pounded through the Omaha grind in an obscene hurry because I had a unique conjunction of premium time, playing opportunity and bonus camouflages, and I wanted to be absolutely sure of having the Cleveland in port before the Line Split could happen. Ordinarily I would not have proceeded as quickly. My primary issue was judging the right time and range to switch ammo types, and I frequently found myself making the wrong choices or dealing with rapidly angling targets or SUDDENLY A DESTROYER APPEARS; THIS WAS NOT PART OF THE PLAN! It was easier to stick with HE and be able to get consistent damage on targets of all types at all angles and sometimes get a useful bonus fire. OR two, or even three...

Plus the complete lack of HE in the British cruisers means I tend to over-use it a bit in other types "because I finally can". :Smile_teethhappy: But I kept the Omaha, and I will be making a far slower and more deliberate climb toward the Dallas, so perhaps for a few games I will leave her in AP mode and see what happens.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,257 battles
6 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I can't speak for the French, Germans, Japanese and Russians, but my comment that the Omaha was a fun ship is made in the context of having ground out the British as high as Tier VIII.

@Crucis I cheerfully admit that I pounded through the Omaha grind in an obscene hurry because I had a unique conjunction of premium time, playing opportunity and bonus camouflages, and I wanted to be absolutely sure of having the Cleveland in port before the Line Split could happen. Ordinarily I would not have proceeded as quickly. My primary issue was judging the right time and range to switch ammo types, and I frequently found myself making the wrong choices or dealing with rapidly angling targets or SUDDENLY A DESTROYER APPEARS; THIS WAS NOT PART OF THE PLAN! It was easier to stick with HE and be able to get consistent damage on targets of all types at all angles and sometimes get a useful bonus fire. OR two, or even three...

Plus the complete lack of HE in the British cruisers means I tend to over-use it a bit in other types "because I finally can". :Smile_teethhappy: But I kept the Omaha, and I will be making a far slower and more deliberate climb toward the Dallas, so perhaps for a few games I will leave her in AP mode and see what happens.

I'm not sure that I'd go THAT far.  That sounds rather painful to me.  :Smile_teethhappy:

I'm just saying that the Omaha is a cruiser that gets good value from being willing to switch ammo types on short notice, which given her quick reload time is very easy.

[PSP]
Members
1,332 posts
7,286 battles

Cruisers are by far the most frustrating line to play no matter what the tier. Unless you like hiding behind islands it's a never ending deletion by getting citadeled by BBs. Not as fast as DDs, no smoke generally speaking, no stealth, no heal, easy victims of a lucky shot. For every good cruiser game I've had there were 2 or 3 bad ones. T4 cruisers are still fun, but facing T7 ships in T5 cruisers is very not fun. Same for T6 vs T8. As a BB main I love seeing a cruiser in the open..time my shot and it's a high chance of a citadel. 

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,651 posts
9,964 battles

Laid down dates:

• Omaha - 1918
  • Emerald - 1918
  • Furutaka - 1922 (major refit 1937)
  • Konigsberg - 1926
  • Emile Bertin - 1931
  • Kirov - 1935

Unsurprisingly the worst performing ships are little modernized designs with their origins in WWI - without application of most of the 'lessons learned' from that conflict.

When T5 was the old-model Furutaka (6x1) and Omaha there was a chance for ships like Emerald, introducing the hilariously more modern Konigsberg, Kirov and then Bertin was just fatal.

[ARGSY]
Members
5,709 posts
3,894 battles
13 minutes ago, mofton said:

the old-model Furutaka (6x1)

I believe that old model still exists in the A hull of the current version. I should hope so - with 8-inch guns she is very close to what a Hawkins-class RN heavy cruiser must be like to play.

My experience of French cruisers is that they have broad sides that are easy to put shells into and easy to do a lot of damage; I don't mind facing them in my Emerald at all. OF course when the smoke fades and the chips are down, their return fire is no fun - but the French cruisers have a very modern gun layout from a very early stage.

[SF-3]
Members
1,428 posts
7,870 battles
2 hours ago, mofton said:

Laid down dates:

• Omaha - 1918
  • Emerald - 1918
  • Furutaka - 1922 (major refit 1937)
  • Konigsberg - 1926
  • Emile Bertin - 1931
  • Kirov - 1935

Unsurprisingly the worst performing ships are little modernized designs with their origins in WWI - without application of most of the 'lessons learned' from that conflict.

When T5 was the old-model Furutaka (6x1) and Omaha there was a chance for ships like Emerald, introducing the hilariously more modern Konigsberg, Kirov and then Bertin was just fatal.

This is the feeling I get when playing those ships, old out dated, outmoded. 

Members
2,274 posts
7,307 battles
2 hours ago, KalishniKat said:

Cruisers are by far the most frustrating line to play no matter what the tier. Unless you like hiding behind islands it's a never ending deletion by getting citadeled by BBs. 

Hard to play? Sure. Frustrating? Definitely no. 

Ending deletion? WASD like Crazy and angle the ship and you are fine.

[NETSI]
Members
68 posts
7,585 battles

Playing the Emerald taught me to stop facing directly bow on to BBs, but instead show a bit of angle when I know I cannot avoid a full salvo. 

Came up with a fun simple MS paint diagram to show what I mean and why I think it's more effective, even if it seems slightly counter intuitive to purposely show a bit more of your side and potentially eat more rounds.
It takes only about two full citadels through the bow and maybe a few regular or overpens to completely kill it from full health. whereas eating a few regular and overpens will probably still leave the ship at around half health or more.

image.thumb.png.f51e314df6d093be86049c46023189eb.png