You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Desmios

Enough with the radar B.S.

869 comments in this topic

Members
537 posts
2,753 battles

My yugumo has already been hit super hard, getting spotted thru island is killing me (literally).

its stupid.

• Cool 10
  • Funny 3
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 16
  • Angry 2

[ARGSY]
Members
1,267 posts
8,679 battles

It's time for three new sub-forums.

1. MM is broken/fix MM

2. CV complaints

3. Radar has to go/radar is ruining the game

• Cool 6
  • Funny 3

[SF-A]
Members
2,848 posts
5,548 battles

Then get a div buddy and spread the pain. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

Besides, DD + radar cruiser is a great combo.

Members
1,690 posts
7,230 battles
6 minutes ago, Desmios said:

My yugumo has already been hit super hard, getting spotted thru island is killing me (literally).

its stupid.

If radar did not work through islands, all the high end cruisers that have paper armor and vulnerable citadels would not be able to use it without getting blown up.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[NWNG]
[NWNG]
Members
1,903 posts
3,292 battles

The only counter to radar, is to play smarter... Or use radar to counter-radar, that works too.

• Cool 3
  • Funny 1
  • Bad 1

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,291 battles
22 minutes ago, Ramsalot said:

If radar did not work through islands, all the high end cruisers that have paper armor and vulnerable citadels would not be able to use it without getting blown up.

So what.  Radar working through islands has nothing to do with the relative squishiness of cruisers.  It's just a flawed implementation of radar because the devs didn't want to take the time and effort to do it right.

• Cool 10
  • Bad 3

[SALTY]
Members
116 posts
4,210 battles
30 minutes ago, Desmios said:

its stupid.

You are responsible for keeping track of all radar cruisers and hydro DDs. Nobody's fault but your own if you run into one. 

• Cool 10
  • Bad 2

Members
537 posts
2,753 battles
2 minutes ago, Crucis said:

So what.  Radar working through islands has nothing to do with the relative squishiness of cruisers.  It's just a flawed implementation of radar because the devs didn't want to take the time and effort to do it right.

we haveth a winner

• Bad 1

[NWNG]
[NWNG]
Members
1,903 posts
3,292 battles
2 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Radar in real life, is also unable to see through a smokescreen, due to the density of the smoke... did the developers screw up there too?

Purpose of radar in this game: see regardless of line of sight, at further distances than hydro.

• Cool 2
  • Bad 3

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,291 battles
19 hours ago, Desmios said:

its stupid.

Play smarter.

I hate that radar can see through islands.  And hope that at some point that the devs will fix this nonsense.

But until that time, the solution is to play smarter.  Be aware of every ship that has radar.  I personally have 2 groups of radar ships in my mind.  Group one is comprised of the ships that usually mount radar, like the Indianapolis, Atlanta, Belfast, Missouri, and the high tier USN CAs and Russian CAs.  Then group B is comprised of the high tier RN CLs and PA DDs that might have radar, but at the expense of smoke, which is usually why it's relatively rare to see them mounting radar.  I tend to pay most attention to the ships in group A and their locations when I'm playing a DD.  I try to be aware if they're on the other side of the map or my side, or if they're unspotted as yet.  And then I make my decisions accordingly.

Edited by Crucis
  • Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,291 battles
4 minutes ago, Counter_Gambit said:

Radar in real life, is also unable to see through a smokescreen, due to the density of the smoke... did the developers screw up there too?

Purpose of radar in this game: see regardless of line of sight, at further distances than hydro.

Really?  Radar can't see through smoke screens IRL?  Never heard that one.  Is this only WW2 era radar or all radar?

Regardless, I think that it's wrong to allow hydro and radar to see through islands.  I can deal with it seeing through smoke because, even if IRL it couldn't (which I've never heard), most people would think that it could.  And I don't see why there shouldn't be at least a little risk involved in using radar.  It's baloney for a cruiser to be able to hide behind an island and get to use his radar with impunity.

• Cool 2

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
4,938 posts
6,440 battles
38 minutes ago, Desmios said:

its stupid.

5oEAR5H.gif

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Bad 1

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,291 battles
10 minutes ago, harikari25 said:

You are responsible for keeping track of all radar cruisers and hydro DDs. Nobody's fault but your own if you run into one. 

harikari, this is a little unfair.  I agree with knowing which ships probably do and possibly could mount radar (and hydro for DDs).  But if a radar cruiser has not been spotted, it's not the DD player's fault for not knowing where he is.  IMO, his responsibility is only to be aware that the radar cruiser's location is unknown and to factor that into his decision making.  You can't blame people for not knowing the unknowable.

• Cool 2
  • Bad 2

[TWFT2]
Beta Testers
260 posts
3,911 battles

I agree it's time we had enough of the radar threads.Too bad this is just another one of those.

Members
901 posts
4,218 battles
34 minutes ago, Ramsalot said:

So you admit that all radar cruisers are pretty much useless without radar or if there are no dds in a match? Right...

On another note, when there are so many radar threads, it tells you something. No one cares about regular radar use, it is the through land ability of it that is the issue and all cruisers abuse it. I do not  remember when was the last time I have seen radar cruiser not camping behind island beside a cap.

Edited by Vaitmana
  • Cool 1

[-VT3-]
Members
1,607 posts
3,346 battles

If you're getting spotted behind an island, then how are you getting shot?  Shouldn't you be in cover?

I mean, yes, there's a chance that some ship out on your flank could get shots into you while his buddy lights you up, but that would mean that A: they know the radar is coming, B: have their guns pointed that way, and C: already had a general idea of where you'd be anyway.  If you're in that situation, you're probably camping in a smoke cloud, waiting for it to end, so you can face your inevitable demise anyway.

Nine times out of ten, though?  If you've been radared through a rock, you're probably in a position that's protected from your immediate threat, (namely on the other side of the rock,) and therefore just have to stay where you are until the offending radar goes back onto cooldown.

[SYN]
Members
4,525 posts
11,433 battles
19 minutes ago, Counter_Gambit said:

Radar in real life, is also unable to see through a smokescreen, due to the density of the smoke...

:cap_book:

You might want to check up on that one, methinks...

• Cool 3

[INTEL]
Members
747 posts
7,868 battles
6 minutes ago, Vaitmana said:

On another note, when there are so many radar threads, it tells you something. 

It tells me there's too many whiners in the world.

Radar isnt an issue.  Snowflakes and inactive brain cells are.

Honestly I see more radar ships guarding the map border than anything else. Im becoming convinced most players in radar ships are the same BB players that cant find the WASD keys.

I'm currently on a 3-12 run in Sims. I've been radared maybe twice.  Otoh, I've seen the absolute worst BB and radar cruiser play I can remember.

• Cool 7
  • Bad 3

[-VT3-]
Members
1,607 posts
3,346 battles
2 minutes ago, Kuckoo said:

:cap_book:

You might want to check up on that one, methinks...

Indeed.  Not only can radar see through smoke, but it's been used in this exact context; a cruiser engaging a destroyer.

The battle between HMS Glowworm and the Admiral Hipper

Excerpt: "She turned into her own smoke, attempting to hide and then escape. However, the German cruiser had radar assisted weapons, which were unaffected by the smoke. When she reemerged, the massive ship was almost on top of her."

Sound familiar?  XD

• Cool 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,711 posts
11,331 battles

Maybe just learn radar ranges and pay attention to the minimap... or just cry about it on the forums...

• Cool 1

[TBW]
Members
6,328 posts
11,883 battles
1 hour ago, CLUCH_CARGO said:

Aj3gWAC.gif

Sage advice, a beer and a couple of shots helps too. After that radar doesn't bother you as much.

• Cool 4
  • Funny 1

[NWNG]
[NWNG]
Members
1,903 posts
3,292 battles
1 hour ago, Crucis said:

Really?  Radar can't see through smoke screens IRL?  Never heard that one.  Is this only WW2 era radar or all radar?

yeah, chaff would often times be utilized along side smokescreens. though having dug deeper, it wasn't as widely used as I thought it originally was. In fact the use of chaff (window for you British folks) was suppressed until 1943 in United Kingdom.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,780 posts
14,841 battles
2 hours ago, Ramsalot said:

First, this is totally nonsense and, second, even if it were true, how would that be a bad thing?

2 hours ago, Crucis said:

Radar working through islands has nothing to do with the relative squishiness of cruisers.  It's just a flawed implementation of radar because the devs didn't want to take the time and effort to do it right.

If you listen very carefully, you can hear the echos from Leningrad where they're saying "WE already have your money, so who cares?!?!" 

2 hours ago, Counter_Gambit said:

This statement is complete and total nonsense without a shred of truth; smoke does not stop radar. Ask anyone who has ever operated a KH-11.

2 hours ago, Crucis said:

NO radar gets stopped by smoke, total fabrication and completely wrong.

1 hour ago, DerKrampus said:

If you're getting spotted behind an island, then how are you getting shot? 

You are getting shot by the radar cruisers team mates who are NOT behind the island and were waiting for the radar cruiser to light you up.

14 minutes ago, Counter_Gambit said:

yeah, chaff would often times be utilized along side smokescreens.

PLEASE explain to me how a SHIP would use chaff! How, exactly, would it be deployed?