You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
AkiyamaSaneyuki_2017

Enable some CAs to manually target air with main guns?

40 comments in this topic

Members
363 posts
2,175 battles

Some CAs also have AA capable main guns. Let's integrate that into the game.  Let's have 5km+ AA element in gameplay.

LOL@ all CV players if that became a reality.

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,631 posts
14,017 battles

That already exists.  DP guns can target air threats already.  If you're talking about FPS view type gameplay, AA will get worse.  People already have trouble hitting a stationary Battleship at 10km, much less a fast flying plane

[SALT]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
3,660 posts
2,671 battles
10 minutes ago, Kapitan_Wuff said:

CAs with AA capable guns already count as AA. 

Not all of them actually

The IJN 155mm and 203mm's which were used to engage aircraft don't count as AA guns, nor do the Des Moines 8'' guns which were capable as well and drills were conducted to engage aircraft with them.

[-BSS-]
Members
484 posts
2,923 battles
13 minutes ago, Azumazi said:

Not all of them actually

The IJN 155mm and 203mm's which were used to engage aircraft don't count as AA guns, nor do the Des Moines 8'' guns which were capable as well and drills were conducted to engage aircraft with them.

Musashi’s guns were capable of shooting at aircraft as well (and they tried), and even had specific ammunition for such occasions.

Edited by GabeTheDespot

[SALT]
3,660 posts
2,671 battles
1 minute ago, GabeTheDespot said:

Musashi’s guns were capable of shooting at aircraft as well (and they tried), and even had specific ammunition for such occasions.

Yes, but I avoided the BB's in general since overall they have avoided that entirely in the game. If they added that in the Yamato, Musashi, Iowa, and Montana would have to get added AA as yes, the Iowa had a table for using the main guns for AA including a proximity fuse setting for the HC shells for land airburst as well as against aircraft.

[WOLF2]
Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles
13 hours ago, AkiyamaSaneyuki_2017 said:

Some CAs also have AA capable main guns. Let's integrate that into the game.  Let's have 5km+ AA element in gameplay.

LOL@ all CV players if that became a reality.

Ok. Toroedo bombers port and starboard side, dive bombers directly ahead. Enjoy getting that mouse pointed 3 directions at once.

Members
2,068 posts
3,898 battles
28 minutes ago, AkiyamaSaneyuki_2017 said:

Atlanta was actually made for AA purposes.

And Atlanta has God-level AA at T7. 7.2km for the 5"/38 AA bubble.

[PNG]
Supertester
5,657 posts
6,455 battles

From what I can tell, while USN 8" could be made AAC using MT fuses set to a certain time, they were never dedicated to doing so, whereas other calibers received the VT fuses required to properly combat aircraft. I'm not even sure the calculations were even available in the auto loading spec to make it a proper DP gun for use against aircraft, even if the rounds were, simply because of the low maximum elevation, and, by that time, lack of necessity for large caliber fire vs high volume of small caliber fire.

Beta Testers
1,158 posts
5,287 battles

It is odd because I seem to remember reading that most ships carried a special flechette type of round for their main guns to help with AA defense.

[NUWES]
Members
1,641 posts
5,490 battles
9 hours ago, Bril01 said:

It is odd because I seem to remember reading that most ships carried a special flechette type of round for their main guns to help with AA defense.

A few nations tried this. The devs don't model it because it didn't work irl and it doesn't add anything to the game. The Japanese made special beehive rounds for this purpose (sort of like a giant shotgun). Not only didn't they work, the blast from BB main guns deafens, blinds and injures the exposed AA gunners. 

[TF-64]
Members
364 posts
12,593 battles

Someone posted a document where they tested VT fused shells on the Des Moines but as I understand it, it was only tested. They never cut the gun housings to elevate higher and none ever carried the shells afterwards. The IJN beehive shells never were documented as even damaging much less shooting down an aircraft. The 6" DP used by the US was actually rendered impractical by the jet age as I understand as well. The speed and altitude of jets made them difficult to properly aim against. That's probably why only the 6" mains from a few select ships have them in game. Never heard of the Iowa having an AA setup for the mains but that doesn't mean they didn't. 

Members
1,604 posts
3,573 battles

That's a big ol' nope.  AA is already the height of bipolar with it either being virtually useless or way too much and WG can't seem to find a good middle ground that works as a deterrent that doesn't either melt the planes off limited hangars or gentle tickles the planes as they go overhead.  And as it stands even ships with mediocre AA can be built up to destroy full flights of planes if they spec and gear for it.  Meanwhile things with good AA become no fly zones and while I am sure that sounds good to some of you,  making certain ships completely unassailable by an entire class of ships is unfun and extremely poor design.  On the flipside of that,  having ships that are completely unable to shoot down or defend themselves against planes that can put upwards of twelve torpedoes DIRECTLY into their sides is ALSO unfun and extremely poor design.  Plane launched torepdoes don't get any stronger of course and having a turnaround time of three minutes mean that at least they have a limited number of strikes to put out but its still frustrating to do everything right but still get caught in a well dropped manual or cross drop.

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,631 posts
14,017 battles
On 4/3/2018 at 6:02 PM, Azumazi said:

Yes, but I avoided the BB's in general since overall they have avoided that entirely in the game. If they added that in the Yamato, Musashi, Iowa, and Montana would have to get added AA as yes, the Iowa had a table for using the main guns for AA including a proximity fuse setting for the HC shells for land airburst as well as against aircraft.

Speaking of Proximity Fuse, that's not even implemented for USN 127mm AA guns in WoWS.

[NGA-B]
Members
1,213 posts
7,650 battles
On ‎4‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 8:45 PM, Azumazi said:

Not all of them actually

I'll take this opportunity to point out, to the best of my knowledge, no airborne aircraft was ever shot down by the San Shiki shells and they were regarded by US airmen as a joke. In fact, firing the main battery was more likely to disrupt the aim of the dedicated AA guns. And I'd wager the same would apply to the DM's guns.

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Members
2,765 posts
1,320 battles
18 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Speaking of Proximity Fuse, that's not even implemented for USN 127mm AA guns in WoWS.

And that's nuts.  The RN and USN should have VT modeled.  Maybe the French, if Free French time and ship(s).  Germans? No. Russians? I don't think we shared VT with them.  Japanese?  Hell no.  Not to mention newer ships having director-controlled 5" *and* 40mm.

Edited by mavfin87

[SALT]
3,660 posts
2,671 battles
2 hours ago, JediMasterDraco said:

I'll take this opportunity to point out, to the best of my knowledge, no airborne aircraft was ever shot down by the San Shiki shells and they were regarded by US airmen as a joke. In fact, firing the main battery was more likely to disrupt the aim of the dedicated AA guns. And I'd wager the same would apply to the DM's guns.

The Type 91 HE which was a common HE round had a nose fuse with a timed and impact fuse including a setting tray for the 8'' and 155mm guns long before the development of the さんしき Type 3 shells.

That being said, the Sanshiki Type 3's were pretty much a failure. The standard 155mm HE rounds in airburst however had a 35m kill zone and the 203's a 44m kill zone. There issue was short range tracking and rate of fire, not the feasibility of the weapons and the Des Moines never reported any issues of it disrupting the secondary 5'' gun systems considering it's range on aerial targets was some 8000 yards further.

Beta Testers
560 posts
3,457 battles

Real life effectiveness has never stopped WG from implementing AA guns before *cough* HMS Hood *cough* Rocket AA *cough*

Members
1,130 posts
6,721 battles

I do wish the DP guns(perhaps not the main battery) actually fired on your screen at aircraft.  It would be pretty neat seeing all of those DP guns on BBs and CAs firing away.  It would be a massive step up from just killing planes without any noise or visuals. 

[SALT]
3,660 posts
2,671 battles
1 hour ago, Frederick_The_Great said:

I do wish the DP guns(perhaps not the main battery) actually fired on your screen at aircraft.  It would be pretty neat seeing all of those DP guns on BBs and CAs firing away.  It would be a massive step up from just killing planes without any noise or visuals. 

Probably my favorite part of Battlestations Pacific was watching those AA guns going off on ships.

Members
1,130 posts
6,721 battles
1 hour ago, Azumazi said:

Probably my favorite part of Battlestations Pacific was watching those AA guns going off on ships.

i really enjoy the atmosphere in WoWs with all of the AA guns going of with ships doing hard maneuvers to dodge the bombs and what not.  Sometimes when i die, i just sit there and watch the planes fly around.  It would be more impressive and fun to watch with the extra guns firing. 

[SALT]
3,660 posts
2,671 battles
41 minutes ago, Frederick_The_Great said:

i really enjoy the atmosphere in WoWs with all of the AA guns going of with ships doing hard maneuvers to dodge the bombs and what not.  Sometimes when i die, i just sit there and watch the planes fly around.  It would be more impressive and fun to watch with the extra guns firing. 

This would be fun to see in game.