You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Iron_Salvo921

Edinburgh, good or bad?

50 comments in this topic

[--1--]
Members
153 posts
2,475 battles

I recently got Edinburgh and all tho there are some downfalls to the ship, I really like it. Im wondering if it's just because i'm good with those type of cruisers (fast, light guns, bad armour, etc.) or if it over all is a good ship

[TBW]
Members
6,323 posts
11,883 battles

Edinburgh and I did not get along so well, she was a long grind.

[SIDE]
Members
1,204 posts
8,657 battles

I liked my playthrough in it; if you enjoy it also, then that's what counts. It's a definite improvement over the previous ship and the keep getting better. I really liked the Neptune and kept it after getting Minotaur. Minotaur is a blast, although I have very few games in it after recently researching it. Keep plugging away, there are no unfun, or boring ships mid through top tier.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,710 posts
11,324 battles

Meh, after the Fiji (which is great) the Edin feels like a downgrade, but I wouldn't go as far as to say she is bad.

• Cool 2

[O_O]
Members
4,333 posts
9,274 battles

My W/R has been the same from Fiji to Edinburgh, my average XP has stayed the same, and my damage has gone up a little.  I still have a few dozen games to go in Edinburgh, though.  Now that she is fully upgraded I expect my stats with her to improve a bit.

So, yeah, I think Edinburgh resembles Fiji, and is therefore ---- a gud bote.

[WOLF5]
Members
256 posts

Edi was a blast for past ranked,,,very good ship,, perhaps not as enjoyable as the Fiji,,but that`s mainly due to the constant up-tier   into 9-10  games...

[SOUS]
[SOUS]
Members
289 posts

Edinburgh is a good ship, but I'm not sure if it's level of improvement over the Fiji keeps pace with the increase in tier difficulty. Grinding through the Edinburgh was not a bad experience but, for some reason, it didn't seem as fun as either the Fiji or the Neptune (both of which I kept while selling the Edi).

[SALT]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
3,660 posts
2,671 battles

To add in to what Desmo said, she is a good boat. The main reason why I think people get side tracked on personal issues with it is that the Fiji generally is at top tier or at most tier 8's while the Edin see's tier 10's often. You also have Fiji which is quite agile vs Edin which has a larger turn circle and that puts you off trying to dodge fire if you're forced to egress out of a location. It just takes more planning ahead of time with the Edin over the Fiji.

[EREKT]
Members
755 posts
5,761 battles
4 minutes ago, Chief_Runamuck said:

Edinburgh is a good ship, but I'm not sure if it's level of improvement over the Fiji keeps pace with the increase in tier difficulty. Grinding through the Edinburgh was not a bad experience but, for some reason, it didn't seem as fun as either the Fiji or the Neptune (both of which I kept while selling the Edi).

me too

[SF-A]
Members
2,848 posts
5,548 battles

I liked it. Sticking with DDs is key.

1) BBs expect that smoke to have a DD, and will show broadside.

2) Capturing points and bullying enemy DDs with hydro is profitable and boosts WR

3) Your allies can smoke you, keeping you invisible for almost the entire match

A cool trick you can do to a North Carolina (and probably others, but I remember this vividly) is to shoot their broadside bow from ~8km out. You can get a solid 2-3 8k salvos in before they realize what's happening. Big target too.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
577 posts
4,543 battles

Tbh the Edin is great in its own right.

You have an option of smoke and radar, you may scoff but once you understand the Edin, you can get into positions with cover from islands and use that radar well.

The upgrades torps are at 10km and it still has some great detection and speed.

The biggest issue is that you will find players that know how to counter RN CLs in smoke. For example using a spotter plane to aim into your location. The biggest tip is to always move in smoke, and like the Fiji have an escape planned if someone comes into your smoke detection range or you are being rushed.

[NZS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
368 posts
8,962 battles

I always preferred Fiji to her due to the tier advantages of playing at 7 instead of 8 but Edinburgh was never a really negative experience for me.  The improved heal and access to the concealment upgrade almost made me keep her but I decided to use my captain for Minotaur and ended up scrapping her.  I must admit I enjoyed her much more than Neptune.   

[WOLF9]
Members
244 posts
3,727 battles

I enjoyed the Edin; my W/R, avg dmg and avg XP were all significant improvements over Fiji over a similar number of games.  I may go back and rebuy Fiji at some point and give it another go as I think I could have done better in it.  I have not so far enjoyed my time in Neptune, she is much less agile than Edin and has a large raised citadel that is a magnet for shells of all caliber.  But overall I would say that absolutely yes, Edin is a good bote.  I played her the more conservative way with smoke rather than radar, and ran premium consumables as much as possible.  YMMV.

[INTEL]
Beta Testers
1,577 posts
3,901 battles

Just unlocked her last night.  In a break with my usual procedure, I did not send Fiji's captain to reserves, demount Fiji's modules and sell her.  (I probably should have kept Shchors, too, but oh well, I can buy her back later.)

Looking for advice on whether to move up my Fiji captain, and slot her with a new one, or leave my Fiji captain in place, and slot Edinburgh with a new one.  If you have an opinion on the matter, please share it!  TIA.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,374 posts
10,157 battles
On 4/3/2018 at 8:35 PM, Kapitan_Wuff said:

Meh, after the Fiji (which is great) the Edin feels like a downgrade, but I wouldn't go as far as to say she is bad.

Same for me. Love Fiji and regularly play it. Edinburgh was ok but haven't touched it since getting Neptune and then Minotaur. It just didn't seem to be as good as Fiji and was just mediocre for some reason? I liked Neptune better and love Minotaur.

[PVE]
Members
5,311 posts
17,764 battles
On 4/3/2018 at 6:57 PM, Iron_Salvo921 said:

I recently got Edinburgh and all tho there are some downfalls to the ship, I really like it. Im wondering if it's just because i'm good with those type of cruisers (fast, light guns, bad armour, etc.) or if it over all is a good ship

I don't particularly like the Eddy. I enjoyed the Leander and Fiji, both great ships and keepers for sure. I also like the much maligned Emerald and have recently brought her back to my port. Not sure what it is about the Edinburgh that I have so much difficulty with her. It may just be matchmaking but she really seems to be much worse ship than Fiji. It may just be that I don't click with her, hard to know honestly. I played her until I got all her upgrades and now don't bother with her. I have zero interest going any further up the tech tree due to the high tier economy but will keep her around for those times I need a tier 8 cruiser. BTW my experience is playing her in co-op so may not be applicable to those of you playing PvP. 

Edited by Taylor3006

[WOLFB]
Members
149 posts
5,293 battles
On 4/3/2018 at 6:57 PM, Iron_Salvo921 said:

Eddy will always have a place in my dock. She's one of my favorites, and my go-to ship in T8 Ranked. This is one I'll never sell.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,374 posts
10,157 battles
On 5/9/2018 at 7:40 PM, Taylor3006 said:

I don't particularly like the Eddy. I enjoyed the Leander and Fiji, both great ships and keepers for sure. I also like the much maligned Emerald and have recently brought her back to my port. Not sure what it is about the Edinburgh that I have so much difficulty with her. It may just be matchmaking but she really seems to be much worse ship than Fiji. It may just be that I don't click with her, hard to know honestly. I played her until I got all her upgrades and now don't bother with her. I have zero interest going any further up the tech tree due to the high tier economy but will keep her around for those times I need a tier 8 cruiser. BTW my experience is playing her in co-op so may not be applicable to those of you playing PvP. 

I know you stay mid tiers mostly but man you need to get yourself a Minotaur. Throw the perma camo on and it makes tons of credits in Co-op and is so much fun.Neptune is good and fun too but T9 is brutal economically in Co-op. Once you get to T10 though with that perma camo it pays really well.

Also, I repurchased Emerald not too long back too and am playing it again. Lot of fun.

[R-R-R]
Members
969 posts
6,420 battles

The ship reminds me a bit of New Orleans.

She is definitely not a bad ship with her great concealment + RN super heal. However, just like NO, she lacks the firepower to capitalize on the chance to punish enemy ships.

I still mostly enjoyed my grind through her as a big advantage she has over NO is to have torpedoes. So you are not completely helpless when being rushed by enemy ships.

Members
842 posts
41 minutes ago, Exciton8964 said:

The ship reminds me a bit of New Orleans.

She is definitely not a bad ship with her great concealment + RN super heal. However, just like NO, she lacks the firepower to capitalize on the chance to punish enemy ships.

I still mostly enjoyed my grind through her as a big advantage she has over NO is to have torpedoes. So you are not completely helpless when being rushed by enemy ships.

She's a LIGHT CRUISER.  Of course she doesn't have the massive Alpha strike capability that big Heavy Cruisers have.

That said, she will absolutely shred DDs better than any other ship in it's tier, and has little problem with taking down cruisers, even heavily angled ones - you just aim for the superstructure, and pump out 6+ pens per salvo. That's 8k per salvo or so.

Being a CL, she can't fight BBs. At best, her limited torp capability is there to keep BBs from charging her smoke, but that's about it.  Frankly, the only T8 cruiser that can easily handle being rushed by a BB or CA is a Hipper/Eugen - their combo of armor, heavy guns, and good torps means rushing it a bad idea. But a Chappy can't take a rush (horrid maneuverability, terrible armor, same light guns as Edinburgh, with extremely short torps), a NOLA can't (no torps and poor ROF), the Mogami can't (bad gun angles and turret rotation, virtually no armor, awful torp angles), and the Charles Martel can't (poor ROF, aenimic torps).  If you're in a cruiser and getting rushed by anything other than a DD, you're in a world of hurt. 

But as far as lacking firepower? Only the 155mm Mogami has better DPM at T8, and unless you're aiming right at the belt armor for a CA, her guns have no problem penning any other part of a cruiser.  The 152mm on the Edinburgh shreds BB superstructure, and is quite good against BB bow/stern armor if not angled too much (or if you get plunging fire on them, which happens starting about 10km or so). 

The only real issue with her guns is that there's no HE for that long-range HE spam mode, and thus, her DPM out past 12km is pretty anemic. 

So, yes, the Edinburgh generally doesn't have the big alpha of "4 citadels, BOOM DEAD" capability against BBs or CAs.  That's not lacking firepower; especially since that kind of shot doesn't come along very often, and cruisers of any sort get their damage in as DPM at distance. The Edinburgh (alongside the 155mm Mogami) are really the only cruisers with reliable single-salvo kill capability against DDs.

Edited by EAnybody

Members
321 posts
4,553 battles

I like the Eddy because it forces me out of my comfort zone.  I have a play style that lends it self to heavy cruisers and BB's.  The Eddy needs to be played with a bit more patience, smoke, torps, and island usage.  All at once that's a bit of a learning event for me.

j5V01xY.gif