You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
darkdill

If Concealment Expert were reworked, what would you want it to change to?

12 comments in this topic

Members
25 posts
2,476 battles

Concealment Expert crowds out all other level 4 options for skills, and messes a lot with balance by making ships stealthier than they should be. Heck, there are some cases where a Battleship ends up of comparable stealth to a Cruiser, or in some cases is even stealthier.

Now, hypothetically speaking, imagine that WG decided to rework Concealment Expert to provide a different effect instead of reducing your detectability radius. What effect would you have CE do instead?

I personally would change CE so that it reduces the duration of increased detectability after you fire a shell, with greater effectiveness on Destroyers and low effectiveness on Battleships. This means that you can do hit-and-run more easily, but need to rely more on terrain to get close undetected. This would accompany baseline adjustments to some ships' detectability stats; for instance, JP DD's would get a buff to their baseline detectability stats so they can still stealth-torp, but French BB's would stay at their current detectability since they're not supposed to be stealthy.

Alternatively, if we were to keep it as "reduces your detectability range by X%", I'd change it so that it reduces by 10% for all ship types, not by differing amounts per ship type. This would leave Destroyers unaffected, but would nerf the effectiveness of the skill on Battleships and Carriers (which aren't really meant for stealth). I'd also adjust the baseline detectability of specific Cruisers so they would not be nerfed by such a change (except for Russian Cruisers because they're not meant for stealth).

Edited by darkdill
  • Cool 1

[SIDE]
Members
1,204 posts
8,657 battles

Hmmm, I think leave it alone or if a change is warranted, which I don't really feel it is, then move it into a new 5 point cost line. This, of course, would require a re-work of the entire line, probable free capt. xp change for us from WG etc. I don't feel it would be popular at all from the players perspective or WG's.

[TBW]
Members
6,328 posts
11,884 battles

I would make target acquisition so that it gains 10% back on a ships concealment.

Members
2,209 posts
4,051 battles
1 hour ago, darkdill said:

Concealment Expert crowds out all other level 4 options for skills, and messes a lot with balance by making ships stealthier than they should be. Heck, there are some cases where a Battleship ends up of comparable stealth to a Cruiser, or in some cases is even stealthier.

Now, hypothetically speaking, imagine that WG decided to rework Concealment Expert to provide a different effect instead of reducing your detectability radius. What effect would you have CE do instead?

I personally would change CE so that it reduces the duration of increased detectability after you fire a shell, with greater effectiveness on Destroyers and low effectiveness on Battleships. This means that you can do hit-and-run more easily, but need to rely more on terrain to get close undetected. This would accompany baseline adjustments to some ships' detectability stats; for instance, JP DD's would get a buff to their baseline detectability stats so they can still stealth-torp, but French BB's would stay at their current detectability since they're not supposed to be stealthy.

Alternatively, if we were to keep it as "reduces your detectability range by X%", I'd change it so that it reduces by 10% for all ship types, not by differing amounts per ship type. This would leave Destroyers unaffected, but would nerf the effectiveness of the skill on Battleships and Carriers (which aren't really meant for stealth). I'd also adjust the baseline detectability of specific Cruisers so they would not be nerfed by such a change (except for Russian Cruisers because they're not meant for stealth).

I was thinking something like your reduced detection time after firing.

[OO7]
Alpha Tester
6,697 posts
3,459 battles

I'd change it so that Cruisers and DDs stay the same and it doesn't affect BBs or CVs.

Members
25 posts
2,476 battles
5 hours ago, Madwolf05 said:

I'd change it so that Cruisers and DDs stay the same and it doesn't affect BBs or CVs.

I'd still let it affect BB's and CV's; I'd just make it less worthwhile on them.

Members
126 posts
303 battles

Increases dispersion of enemy shells with a scale similar to that currently in place, ie. destroyers benefit most, Followed by cruisers, battleships, and finally carriers. This would stack with other modifiers such as Camo and aiming modules, and affect the ability of an enemy ship to hit a target, not see one. For what it’s worth, this might be (very slightly) more representative of the historical inaccuracy that naval gunnery suffered through the mid-twentieth century.

[SIDE]
Members
714 posts
3,136 battles

Honestly they should be reworked as the 2nd part of the Camo upgrade, the increased enemy dispersion when targeting your ship. The  Invisible ships are stupid at best and should be only reserved when hiding behind islands / smoke, but it should be really hard to actually be accurate and shoot a DD.

Edited by Merlox

[BWC]
Beta Testers
1,311 posts
5,573 battles

The problem is that to be worthwhile as a 4-point skill, it has to have pretty noticeable effects.  If it were to affect dispersion, it would have to make BB fire almost impossible against the target, which would tick off the BB crowd.  If it were to increase bomber drop zones, it would have to increase it to the point that dropping on a DD would miss every time, which would tick off the CV crowd.  If it were to decrease the duration of gunfire bloom, then it would have to allow BBs to fire and disappear before effective return fire could be done, which would tick off cruiser captains.  If it were to decrease the distance a target was rendered, it would have to allow BBs and CVs to be unseen at 10 km or so, which would tick off the DD captains.

All in all, as the name is 'Concealment Expert', I think it should remain as it is.  It serves a proper role and is good for game balance as it benefits all types of ships that it is useful on, and if anything, the effect could be increased for Cruisers and Destroyers.  Otherwise, best to keep it as-is or, as has been suggested in other threads, give it to all captains by default and reduce the maximum number of skill points per captain to 15.

[WOLFB]
Members
1,658 posts
8,039 battles

The only thing I would change is removing the possibility for BB to use the skill. Even the should be changed with another module like...reducing effect of fire ? I don't know but a BB shouldn't care about concealment and more about survivability, angling, tanking and dealing damage. 

Members
2,274 posts
7,330 battles
3 hours ago, AlcatrazNC said:

The only thing I would change is removing the possibility for BB to use the skill. Even the should be changed with another module like...reducing effect of fire ? I don't know but a BB shouldn't care about concealment and more about survivability, angling, tanking and dealing damage. 

Concealment is survivability. If the enemy cant see you, he cant shoot at you.