Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu

How do I increase my average EXP gain? Is average EXP a very good indicator of performance?

11 comments in this topic

Members
2,117 posts
4,727 battles

So I was just checking my WT profile, and I've noticed that I do above average damage and have solid K/D ratios in most of the battleships I've played. However, my average EXP earnings are quite low across the board. How do I get it up? And, does it matter very much as an indicator of skill?

[BBP]
Members
333 posts
3,961 battles

Besides the obvious of damaging enemy ships....

• Get premium time...this boosts XP gains.
  • Get cap and defended ribbons.
  • Kill DDs  (XP comes in percentage of a ship's HP.  If you happen to one shot kill a DD with nearly full health that's a nice XP boost).  
  • Shoot down planes.

[STW-D]
Supertester, Supertest Coordinator
1,645 posts
4,985 battles

Premium is the biggest boost you can get for simple raw XP, but if you are more concerned with "doing well" then the biggest single tip i have is to stay alive longer.  There are other tips for doing more damage and aiming better and all sorts of stuff but none of that matters if you're dead.

Learn to stay alive.  The longer you're alive, the more damage you'll do, the more ships you'll sink, the more caps you'll get, the more planes you'll shoot down.  Overall you'll have a better chance of affecting the outcome of the battle if you're not growing coral on the seafloor.  With this, comes higher XP.  

The hard part is staying alive AND staying in battle.  Anyone can run away, but can you stay alive and be dealing damage too?  Learn to kite, learn to anticipate shots so you can turn to mitigate their damage, learn to turn between reloads to minimize the potential of a citadel when you're showing a broadside.  Watch the minimap prodigiously and react to changing conditions such as an enemy fleet bearing down on you or incoming planes.  Watch for nearby unspotted DDs and anticipate torpedoes - turn before they even get to you to have them miss entirely or at least face them bow on.  Watch your spotted icon and ranges for the same reason - if you're spotted but don't know by what, you're probably going to be dodging fish in 30 seconds.  Since you're in a BB sub forum, learn to bow-tank.  Learn to manage your fires.  Learn to deal with RNCLs who can only shoot AP.  Learn to hit DDs with your guns.  Learn how to support your ships, and how to recognize when you have support (and importantly when you do not).  Learn to change direction constantly to throw off people's aim.

Learn to stay alive longer, and everything else will get better.  At the very least you'll have a chance to improve your aim, damage, torpedo spam, ninja capping or whatever else you want to improve.  You can do nothing if you're dead.

[TSG4B]
[TSG4B]
Members
1,708 posts
9,381 battles

I think the OP should stop progressing further up tier, and slowly starting from tier5. From there, OP should grind through all the game mechanics, with enough battle under his belt, OP should learn how to devastating strike or obtain more citadel hits per game, learn to hunt dd in his cruiser because of "game mechanic", learn to survive longer by learn how to time your repair consumable and heal so that you can gain the max of each and HOW to do it, learn to NOT shoot and go silence when needed. There are so much other little that need to be carefully calculated.

It pitiful to see the OP stat playing his Fuso earning him 915 XP, Fuso is where you should earn 2k minimum with all the raw damage output (I remembered in the previous CC event, I was the last one survived in the Fuso, and even so, it took the whole team focus fire and cross torp and torping from the island corner and came out first in the lost battle).

So, start low, learn a lot then progress further.

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,543 posts
13,992 battles

Survive - If you're a BB and die early, you were pretty darn worthless for your team.  It's a balancing act for all ships.  You have to be careful so you don't put yourself into a bad focus fire situation and die quickly.  But you also must be close enough to the fighting where your gunnery, presence is a danger to the enemy team, close enough where you can get reliable hits.  A BB that keeps surviving to keep shooting, doing damage is valuable.  The BB that YOLOs to get focus fired like entering a cap in the middle of the map and die before 5 minutes is up is a waste of a roster spot.

Play the objectives - Win more that way.

Shoot at Destroyers - The XP gains you get from damaging ships, % is considered.  A good salvo smashing into a Destroyer is a great way to get good XP gains.  It is how my BB can have mediocre Damage Average yet I am still the XP Leader or among Top 3 XP Leader for the team.  Smashing Destroyers also helps towards, "Play the objectives" because any harm you do to enemy DDs, makes the job of your friendly DDs so much easier.  The team that loses their Destroyers first tend to have a tougher, uphill battle to win.  Unless something is so juicy like a stationary broadside Cruiser, Battleship, going for DDs is much more important.

It is how my Division Mates, who may get something like 160k damage and decent XP gains from Damage Farming off Battleships, while I easily surpass them with my 60k BB damage effort, leading the team in XP score.  Because I was smashing Destroyers.

What do you think is more important towards the win?  Taking 50k off 2 Battleships?  Or doing 15k off of Destroyers?  The latter is a bigger deal, and will help your team towards the win than farming damage off Big Floating Heavily Armored Battleships that are purpose built for taking that punishment.  1 BB Penetration and an Overpen or two is devastating to a Destroyer.  They can't take that punishment, and I've seen enough Montanas 1-shot DDs without Detonating them.  When a BB smashes a DD like that, that is a big statement in a match, and that is 1 less DD for your friendly DDs to contest caps with. When the DDs know they got gun support from their team, they can get bolder and their job gets easier.  If your DDs get an easier time in the caps, then your team will have a much better chance winning. 

Support your Friendly DDs.  Hit the Enemy DDs.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[NGA-A]
[NGA-A]
Supertester
173 posts
5,133 battles

If you are talking stats displayed on website such as warships today, or wows numbers those sites take your base exp without modifiers. To increase this, you want to take more objectives (and hold them) and do damage (specifically take a good % of hp off a ship).

If you are worried about exp gained period, the posts above do just fine explaining :)

Edited by EpicLeveler

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
2,220 posts
8,385 battles

If you are looking at average XP on Warships.today, that figure includes premium time bonuses. So if you don't run premium time, you are already at a "disadvantage" (and I quote because as such the number is basically worthless). Otherwise, what everyone else says applies.

Edited by pikohan

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,543 posts
13,992 battles
24 minutes ago, pikohan said:

If you are looking at average XP on Warships.today, that figure includes premium time bonuses. So if you don't run premium time, you are already at a "disadvantage" (and I quote because as such the number is basically worthless). Otherwise, what everyone else says applies.

Even the XPs tracked at WoWS own site include XPs gained from bonus.  At launch it used to only care about BaseXPs, but it changed not long after launch.  I guess they wanted players to feel better about themselves.

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,543 posts
13,992 battles
59 minutes ago, Zionas said:

So how would you guys rate my overall performance in BBs, and as a player?

Without seeing actual matches, overall I'd say you're even.  You have BBs you clearly struggle with, some you do with, even one that many hate (Colorado).

As for IJN BB issues, a common mistake I see with newer players of that line is an eagerness to brawl.  These ships are not meant for that.  Intermediate and long ranged combat is their specialty.  Use their speed to attain desired engagement ranges as well as maintain them.  For most of the game, IJN BBs are markedly faster than USN ones, as well as better ranged performance.  USN catches up at Tier VIII+, especially IX-X.  IJN, like USN BBs, have actual citadels to protect.  They don't have the thickest belts, either.  Though many are faster than same tiered USN equivalents, their ability to turn is worse than the USN counterparts.  Their turret traverse tends to be below average, with Yamato / Musashi being the worst.  These 3 factors make brawling in an IJN BB a dangerous gamble.  Keep the fighting at arm's length and you'll be fine.  When I played Scharnhorst a lot more, I laughed when a Nagato was sailing to me, looking to brawl and knife fight.  Don't be one of those idiots.

IJN BBs have the tightest dispersion in the game among Battleships.  Leverage that.

Sign in to follow this