You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Stauffenberg44

Republique or Montana

25 comments in this topic

Members
3,553 posts
6,867 battles

I usually don't ask questions like this as I research each ship and go with my instincts. But I would like to know what you would do... I have enough exp and free exp and credits to get either... what would you do and why?

[HINON]
Supertester
18,916 posts
12,446 battles

I find Republique a lot more fun to drive than Montana.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,373 posts
10,151 battles

This is a hard one for me actually. If you asked me this before the French BB's came out and it was should I get Montana or X BB the answer would be Montana. However, man I just love Republique and it has sort of dethroned Montana as my favorite T10 BB (have them all). I guess it would come down to playstyle really.

Montana would be better if you prefer to hang a bit further back and you have good aim as it's guns are just crazy accurate, you get 12, and they hit very hard. It has excellent armor when angled but is still prone to citadels if you get caught broadside despite the lowering of them. Now you just take 1-3 and you can maybe live vs taking 6+ and going poof LOL. Good speed, god like AA, and when built for stealth it can be very sneaky. It is a very strong BB.

Republique is better if you push up more and like to get close and nasty. It has amazing secondary guns, very good AA (not quite Montana good but man it is close), the guns hit like a run away freight train (but only 8 - accuracy is good but not as good as US BB's) AND with MBM3 have a 21 second reload, and it has very good armor for close in fighting. 

I probably like Republique better as I pretty much only play Co-op so that means a lot of close up fighting and brawling which the ship absolutely excels at. If I played PVP where the meta is more range fighting I would probably take Montana.

Not sure this helps but FWIW. Both are excellent BB's.

Edited by AdmiralThunder
  • Cool 2

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,594 posts
14,011 battles

Both are very good BBs but for very different reasons.  IMO, Montana edges out Republique for broader use.

Montana

+ Magnificent balance of Main Battery power, volume of fire, accuracy, range, gun handling, rate of fire.  16"/50 x12 is a big deal and is useful at all typical engagement ranges.  The 12 guns are a great luxury to get hits.

+ Magnificent AA that is easy to buff without sacrificing Main Battery performance.  This is a USN BB Line perk, no other BB line can do this.  Why?  Because APRM2 is a 11% dispersion buff for Tier IX-X USN BBs.  AAGM2 to buff AA sits in a completely different upgrade slot.  Other BB Lines, if they want better Main Battery dispersion need ASM1, but doing that prevents the use of SBM2 or AAGM2.  Taking the likes of SBM2 or AAGM2 means no ASM1.  Only USN BBs have this unique ability for Tier IX-X.

- Like Yamato, has to worry about protecting her citadel.  Yamato can also LOLPEN and Citadel Montana through the bow.

- USN BB Secondaries are terrible up and down the tiers.  Montana's volume of fire, accuracy of her secondaries are actually pretty good in a true Secondary Spec, but the failure is range.  It's very mediocre.

Republique

+ Tough protection scheme against large caliber guns, especially as the range gets closer.  Pretty tough to citadel her.

+ Great AA

+ Great Secondaries, long range than even GK.

+ Fast shooting Main Battery.  With MBM3 it goes to 21.1 seconds.  With Adrenaline Rush going, it drops to about 18 seconds.  That is fast!

+ The above characteristics make Republique a dangerous Brawler.  Similar to yet very different from GK.

+/- Great AA and Secondaries, possibilities are great if specced for them, but slotting AAGM2 / SBM2 means no ASM1 to help out with Republique's troublesome accuracy.

- Mediocre reliability at range.  Dispersion isn't terrible, but 4-8 gun salvos leaves plenty of room for shells to scatter and you coming with little, to any hits, damage.  Republique in a Ranged BB Gun Duel against Yamato, Montana, Conqueror is a losing prospect.  Republique needs to get close the same way GK does.

- French & RN BBs share 1 thing in protection schemes.  They're coated in flimsy 32mm armor and thus, very prone to medium and small caliber shells doing consistent damage on them.  IMO, it's not BB shells that are the greatest danger to Republique.  It's DD and Cruiser gunfire.

Republique is a very fun ship, especially if you like to brawl.  But IMO, the ranged meta is a concern for her, and Cruiser / DD Gunfire is deadly against her.  Montana's gunnery is ALWAYS good, always relevant, regardless of range, and it's easier to bag hits with her than with Republique.  It is also very easy to incorporate very powerful AA on Montana and not even affect her Main Battery performance, something no other BB at Tier X can say.  Conqueror, Republique, GK, even Yamato can have great or even fabulous AA, but adopting an AA Build means no ASM1 to improve Main Battery dispersion.

When I play a High Tier Cruiser, there are 3 BBs that I fear for their gunnery:  Yamato, Iowa / Missouri, Montana.  They have the accuracy, range, power to hit even Cruisers at range and be dangerous to them.  Of those BBs, Montana is the one with 12 godd*mn guns, and that is scary for a Cruiser.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

[UEFN]
Members
386 posts
11,570 battles

When the test server open up next time try them both and see which one fit your play style more.  You may or may not like either one of them.   The AA from Montana looks good on paper but i think it's overrated, my fully AA spec montana got nailed hard by both tier 9 and 10 CV all the time, taking massive damages.

• Cool 1

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,594 posts
14,011 battles
7 minutes ago, Xcalib3r said:

When the test server open up next time try them both and see which one fit your play style more.  You may or may not like either one of them.   The AA from Montana looks good on paper but i think it's overrated, my fully AA spec montana got nailed hard by both tier 9 and 10 CV all the time, taking massive damages.

Don't sail alone in a CV match.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,373 posts
10,151 battles
7 minutes ago, Xcalib3r said:

Have you taken a lot of HE damage prior? That takes a toll on your AA guns. Montana's AA is brutal on planes when you have all of it available.

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,594 posts
14,011 battles
5 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

Have you taken a lot of HE damage prior? That takes a toll on your AA guns. Montana's AA is brutal on planes when you have all of it available.

Montana's modules hold up just fine.  Conqueror is the only thing that really strips modules away, and she is the least played Tier X BB.

In 2 weeks:

Montana 43.9k matches

Yamato 39.6k

GK 30.8k

Conqueror 15k

Republique 5k (New ship still)

Missouri 73k (for the lolz of this list)

[UEFN]
Members
386 posts
11,570 battles
On 4/4/2018 at 6:43 PM, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Don't sail alone in a CV match.

has nothing to do with sailing alone, majority of the player would be busy running away from CV, with the mentality that you don't have to outrun the bear as long as you outran the next guy!  LOL

[UEFN]
Members
386 posts
11,570 battles

sometime, but even in the beginning of the match, when CV sent 2 squadron of bombers along with 2 to 3 squadron of torps,  one wave of attack like that usually wiped out at least half the HP.

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,594 posts
14,011 battles
42 minutes ago, Xcalib3r said:

sometime, but even in the beginning of the match, when CV sent 2 squadron of bombers along with 2 to 3 squadron of torps,  one wave of attack like that usually wiped out at least half the HP.

For that to happen to a Montana:

1.  No AA Spec.

2.  You're sailing alone.

Unless you got Defensive Fire, the best way AA works is in layers, or mutual assistance.  I don't fear CVs in my Montana, Iowa / Missouri, Alabama / North Carolina.  But I don't sail alone and put myself out on a silver platter.  If you lose half your HP in Montana at the start of the match, you are doing too many things wrong.

[UEFN]
Members
386 posts
11,570 battles
2 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

For that to happen to a Montana:

1.  No AA Spec.

2.  You're sailing alone.

Unless you got Defensive Fire, the best way AA works is in layers, or mutual assistance.  I don't fear CVs in my Montana, Iowa / Missouri, Alabama / North Carolina.  But I don't sail alone and put myself out on a silver platter.  If you lose half your HP in Montana at the start of the match, you are doing too many things wrong.

Full AA spec'ed

Not alone, supporting CA/CL and DD close to the cap, enemy CV sent scouting planes spotted our DD and CA/CL, DD hide in smoke, then came the torp and bomber squadrons, other than US or British CA/CL most other cruisers would flee, Montana got chewed up.   

Had this happened too many times to count, Montana Full AA spec'ed is over-rated. 

Edited by Xcalib3r

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,594 posts
14,011 battles

Personally I welcome CVs with my Montana.  I don't know how you can possibly get nuked like that if you are positioned right and AA specced in her.  I chew planes apart with her.

[UEFN]
Members
386 posts
11,570 battles

Most of the time i would take huge amount of damages, weren't instant delete or anything like that, but enough to discourage me to continue to stay too close to the cap to support DD and CA/CL, with half the HP gone i've often resorted to more conservative game play afterward.    I just don't have as much confidence in the Montana AA than i have with DM and Hindenburg, in those two cruisers i've often established no-fly zone easily.

[RCN]
Members
2 posts
4,693 battles

They are both great BBs but I'll give a little edge to the République.

Members
3,553 posts
6,867 battles
On 4/3/2018 at 6:50 PM, AdmiralThunder said:

Republique is better if you push up more and like to get close and nasty.

That's what I want. I ended up getting the Montana for now as I had the exp and credits to cover everything. Republique next.

I've had some great battles in the Montana (around 10 so far total):

Spoiler

5ace1007c9045_MontanaKraken.thumb.jpg.634e79778d8a0607bd9152735b76db2b.jpg

5ace1027938fb_Montana1.jpg.6ef1afd15260002e278262d85be7528e.jpg

5ace103dd3085_Montana2.jpg.0e41a1eb4566635a95d2a3d0abeb3853.jpg

Edited by Stauffenberg44

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,373 posts
10,151 battles
2 minutes ago, Stauffenberg44 said:

That's what I want. I ended up getting the Montana for now as I had the exp and credits to cover everything. Republique next.

Montana is a great BB and you will love it. AA is amazing and the guns are really accurate and hit hard.

Enjoy it and congratulations. :Smile_honoring:

Members
3,553 posts
6,867 battles
1 minute ago, AdmiralThunder said:

Montana is a great BB and you will love it. AA is amazing and the guns are really accurate and hit hard.

Enjoy it and congratulations. :Smile_honoring:

Thanks much. I just added a few of my battles in her. SO far so good.

[UDEAD]
Beta Testers
28 posts
7,321 battles

Both are really enjoyable, the Montana is very flexible to run.  The Republique is great if you want to dictate the pace and be aggressive. The fast reload mixed with great secondaries will let you get up in the face of the other team.  I love them both but the Republique is my current favorite.

[SOUP]
[SOUP]
Members
37 posts

I am late to this party.... but i prefer the République because i am an aggressive battleship player. it have beautiful secondarys, the reload is great, it is fast, the only real weaknesses are the fact it only has 2 main turrets and poor bow/stern/deck/citadel deck armour. be very careful of plunging fire and avoid AP bombs at all costs! cruisers with a arch to their shots can citadel the République, and it is quite flammable.

Really fun ship though, many call it weak, but those who know how to play it well can be deadly. My advice: play aggressively, but DO NOT go solo, it is best if you are accompanied by at least 1 other ship, even just moving with your team will do.

[RKN]
Beta Testers
938 posts
8,748 battles

I own Montana and played Republic in her Paris guise last month and definitely like Montana more. 12 guns dramatically increase your hit percentage and damage consistency. Republic’s has tremendous secondary range, but secondary builds aren’t that useful at higher tiers. It was good advice to try them out in the next pub test; I advise waiting until the just before end of the sale before  buying one to see if a new test becomes available. You have until the 14th.

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,594 posts
14,011 battles
3 hours ago, SavageTactical said:

I own Montana and played Republic in her Paris guise last month and definitely like Montana more. 12 guns dramatically increase your hit percentage and damage consistency. Republic’s has tremendous secondary range, but secondary builds aren’t that useful at higher tiers. It was good advice to try them out in the next pub test; I advise waiting until the just before end of the sale before  buying one to see if a new test becomes available. You have until the 14th.

In the very peculiar confines of Clan Battles, Montana was the "Go To" Tier X Battleship.

https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/common/steamed-clans/

Montana is very well rounded and the guns are a major part of that.  The guns strike the perfect balance in terms of reload, range, power, accuracy, and of course, volume of fire per salvo.

There were 2 things I did not like with Republique.

1.  8 guns is still unforgiving, especially as the range grows longer.

2.  Covered in 32mm plate like RN BBs.  This means that small and medium caliber guns penetrate reliably.  Personally, with RN & French BBs, it's not so much opposing BBs that scare me, it's that the 32mm plating all over the ships make them prone to getting DPM'd badly by Cruisers and such.

Republique is still a great BB but those issues need to be planned around.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway