You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Wydespread_panic

Torpedo Reload Booster Should I feel bad using it?

17 comments in this topic

Members
11 posts
2,372 battles

Well I was in match last night where I was using my Kagero loaded without smoke but with the Torpedo Reload Booster instead. I haven't been using it long but i seem to be getting the hang of it.

During this particular match I was wreaking havoc on the enemy and ended up with a Kraken but that's not why I'm posting this.

It has to do with one of the opposing players I killed. I was in a one on one with another DD in a cap zone. He got close enough to detect me and started hitting me with his guns. I began evading his shell fire, and if you know the Kagero you know that it's turrets take forever to turn and can't keep up with the ships turning, so i knew I could not evade and out gun him.

He started to head straight for me, so I launched a full spread of torps hit the reload button and and waited to see if he would dodge my first volley, which he did. However, he put himself in perfect position to be hit by my next volley so I launched and watched as he was clobbered by my spread. Good on me right?

Well, the other player instantly gets on chat and starts flaming me for using the reload booster. Says I'm a hack and [edited] etc. the usual salt but he just won't let it go. On and on he's ranting so I begin to wonder is there something I'm missing about the reload booster? I'm relatively new to the game just over 1000 battles so what's the deal, was this guy a poor sport or is there some kind of understanding that using the reload booster is bad form?

I'm guessing the former not the latter but was wondering none the less.

• Funny 2

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
6,062 posts
9,188 battles

No you give up a lot to get it. No reason to feel bad. It has a high skill cap to use a DD with no smoke well.

[O7]
Supertester, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
10,662 posts
7,555 battles

Dont worry about it, he was just a poor sport. TRB is great fun especially since the IJN DDs are mostly torpedo based so anything that increases your ability to torpedo is a good choice.

If you like the Kag you are going to love the Yug which is the same thing except you can put on 12 km torpedoes which is just enough to torp from beyond radar ranges of the longest radars so you get a little extra flexibility.

[AFW-]
Members
248 posts
9,705 battles

you obviously surprised him since he forgot you had the option. He was probably feeling pretty smug about himself for avoiding the 1st volley when the 2nd hit him. 

[KNTAI]
Members
173 posts
4,743 battles

The TRB path is a high risk high reward one - you won't be able to provide cover for your teammates, but you can definitely inflict catastrophic damage to those who don't expect you to be carrying that consumable. That and smoke is generally less effective at higher tiers due to the abundance of radars.

As for that angry opponent you sunk...from the way you described them, I'm sure they're going to blow a cap or two regardless of what killed them.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Beta Testers
1,816 posts
10,727 battles

"If you know your enemies and know yourself, you will not be put at risk even in a hundred battles." - The Art of War

Members
11 posts
2,372 battles
2 minutes ago, Cruiser_ChoukaiKaiNi said:

The TRB path is a high risk high reward one - you won't be able to provide cover for your teammates, but you can definitely inflict catastrophic damage to those who don't expect you to be carrying that consumable. That and smoke is generally less effective at higher tiers due to the abundance of radars.

As for that angry opponent you sunk...from the way you described them, I'm sure they're going to blow a cap or two regardless of what killed them.

Thanks for the feedback, it was just the one player that got bent the others in fairness didn't say a thing but his vehemency made me wonder.

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Members
2,765 posts
1,320 battles
2 minutes ago, Wydespread_panic said:

Thanks for the feedback, it was just the one player that got bent the others in fairness didn't say a thing but his vehemency made me wonder.

Nah, he was just pissed that you weren't the easy meat he expected once he dodged the first set of torps.

[-S-R-]
Members
317 posts
7,103 battles

Agree with everyone here.  Dude just thought he had you til you popped him with the TRB.  As others said, bad on him to forget that.  Also Yug with TRB is epic.

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

For everything you gave up to get it I say "NO don't feel bad or guilty" This is coming from a CA/BB player. If it makes you a better player never ever feel Bad about it. 

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,150 posts
8,766 battles

It is a tool given to you by the game, make the best use of it that you can. I don't think fire should be a weapon in the game and only a side effect that does very little damage most of the time but that doesn't stop me form lighting people up with HE.

[SEOP]
Members
1,286 posts
38 minutes ago, Wydespread_panic said:

Well, the other player instantly gets on chat and starts flaming me for using the reload booster. Says I'm a hack and [edited] etc. the usual salt but he just won't let it go. On and on he's ranting so I begin to wonder is there something I'm missing about the reload booster? I'm relatively new to the game just over 1000 battles so what's the deal, was this guy a poor sport or is there some kind of understanding that using the reload booster is bad form?

yum yum -- salty tears.  You sacrifice a lot by giving up smoke in the Kagero -- or any other DD for that matter (well maybe not the super-Khab).  I don't have any sympathy for the dead guy.  

Beta Testers
1,143 posts
3,273 battles

Just remember, it's called "Wall of Skill" because it Takes Skill to overcome it. 

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,283 battles

I have no problem with the TRB.  I use it on  some IJN DDs.  But I've taken it off my HSF Harekaze (for now) because I've found that I'm more effective when using the 100mm gun hull using smoke on occasion.  It's useful to have smoke for all the various and known reasons, even if they're the selfish ones.  On the 100mm gun hull, the Harekaze is actually quite a nicely balanced DD with competitive guns and useful torpedoes.  I literally just got out of a game with my Harekaze where I did 143k damage (100k of which was with torpedoes) and 5 kills, 2 of which were BBs with torps and 3 were DDs I killed with guns.  The 100mm gunned Harekaze is one nice IJN DD that's great if you have an Akizuki captain to put in her.  But if I was playing either of the other hulls, I'd probably use TRB and no smoke and play it as more of a pure torp boat.

Come to think of it, my best (or at least most memorable) TRB game was with my Shiratsuyu. I saw at the start that there was this 3 ship division of 2 atlantas and a Belfast, and it concerned me.  This was on the  Estuary map, and I'd gone very far east.  I noticed that this div went into that eastern cap and smoked up, but I was within torp range, so I fired my first two spreads, then hit the TRB and fired my next 2 spreads.  Then a few seconds later.  boom-boom-boom-boom, etc. and all three of those CLs in the smoke were dead in a tiny handful of seconds!  Absolutely freaking hilarious!!!  Too bad there wasn't a triple strike award, because I'd have won it right then and there! :Smile_hiding:

But the really amazing part was that they didn't say a word in ALL chat!  

Edited by Crucis

Members
1,779 posts
17,360 battles
1 hour ago, Wydespread_panic said:

I was in a one on one with another DD in a cap zone

Pushing a cap w/out smoke & prevailing...+1 to you for that alone (&...based on the situation...a funny 1 at that). As for any casualties...if they weren't aware enough to realize there was a Kagero on the opposing team that not only wasn't smoking as soon as they were detected but was giving enough broadside to release a 2nd set of torps...me thinks there situational awareness is a bit lacking.