You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Vangm94

My Aircraft Carrier Tactics & Notes (mostly Ryujo)

31 comments in this topic

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,879 battles

My tactics are mostly developed for Ryujo so it can be harder to use on other aircraft carriers. My proof is in my videos.

Aircraft carriers take a lot of time to learn and play. These are my tactics that help me make use of everything that an aircraft carrier can do and should do but most won't do. Speed and patience is everything and hopefully these tactics can help you.

• World of Warships 7 Basic Tips
  • Communication
    • Do your best to say everything you do
    • If someone ask for AA support, reply with anything
    • If they hate you, they will hate you. Do your best to not dwell on it
  • Scout
    • Find the enemy with your dive bombers
    • You can choose to attack them but do not have your dive bombers rearm
    • Find the weakest spot you can find
    • Your eyes are the team's eyes
  • Move
    • While your dive bombers scout, set your ship's way points according to what they find and where your team goes
    • Any movement is better than no movement
  • Defend
    • Defend yourself until you know or expect where the enemy fighters and bombers will be
    • Defend your torpedo bombers to the best of your ability
    • Defend the fleet to the best of your ability
    • Do not let your fighters die carelessly
  • Shadow
    • After your dive bombers find or attack the enemy, have them stay in a safe range from AA and keep them spotted
    • If enemy fighters attack, lead them as far as possible so that your torpedo bombers are safe
  • Attack
    • Attack the weakest spot as fast as you can
    • Once the enemy fleet is able to stay spotted without use of your dive bombers, attack with everything you got
  • Recover
    • Faster your ship moves, faster you recover, faster you rearm, faster you attack
  • Cap
    • Faster you clear an area, faster it is safe, faster you cap
  • Fight
    • If you are spotted by an enemy within concealment range, you are already dead
    • There is no use running from something you can't run from, whether that is enemy speed or gun range
    • You have secondary guns, make use of them
    • Most players won't expect a aircraft carrier to fight back
    • You are the decoy, most ships will almost always shoot a CV when they see it, those seconds or minutes you live is extra time for your team to potentially fight back
    • Miracles can happen, I have 26 total secondary kills with Ryujo
  • Other
    • I get my good days and my bad days

Ryujo Skills & Upgrades

Spoiler
  • Ryujo Captain Skills
    • Aircraft Servicing Expert
      • Must have
    • Dog-fighting Expert
      • Not needed but I had nothing else to add
    • Torpedo Acceleration
      • Speed matters the most
    • Expert Rear Gunner
      • It helps however little it does
    • Last Stand
      • With how I play, my ship cannot and must not stop moving
    • Emergency Takeoff 
      • I don't recommend this skill to many players only because if you are on fire, you already screwed up
      • Difference with me is that I will fight in close quarters combat with my secondary guns
    • Advanced Firing Training
      • This is how I fight
      • Ryujo's AA can be surprising
    • Concealment Expert
      • Ryujo is dangerous when you can't see her
      • When you are see, it means they are just that close to you that you have to fight
  • Ryujo Upgrades
    • Air Groups Modification 1
      • Make use of what little she has
    • Propulsion Modification 1
      • If her engine stops, she is dead
    • Flight Control Modification 1
      • Making use of her plane rearming time
    • Steering Gears Modification 2
      • She is a bit slow but she maneuver relatively well

Edited by Vangm94
  • Cool 3

[WOLF2]
Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles

Looks good. But one point I disagree on is defending yourself until enemy bombers are spotted. I prefer to move with the fleet, and have fighters in position to intercept bombers on the way to the fleet. If the bombers take to long to appear, then I circle them back to be near the CV, which should still be close to the fleet. That way, if they're not trying to snipe, you're in position to protect others, and if they are trying to snipe, then you can still get back with plenty of time, and got some free scouting/torpedo screening in.

• Cool 1

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,879 battles
5 minutes ago, cometguy said:

Looks good. But one point I disagree on is defending yourself until enemy bombers are spotted. I prefer to move with the fleet, and have fighters in position to intercept bombers on the way to the fleet. If the bombers take to long to appear, then I circle them back to be near the CV, which should still be close to the fleet. That way, if they're not trying to snipe, you're in position to protect others, and if they are trying to snipe, then you can still get back with plenty of time, and got some free scouting/torpedo screening in.

It's mostly just my formatting that makes it a bit confusing. The main reason I say "Defend Yourself" is because when I fight IJN, I always expect a CV Sniper. So I will defend myself for as long as possible depending on the enemy intel. Example:

• My fleet is full west and I am behind them and currently defending myself. If I see no enemy planes at all for a few minutes, I will have my fighters go full east to make sure he is not coming that way. Well... at least I would try to.

My bullets are a trickle-down effect. If the first one seems safe, next bullet, next bullet, etc.

Edited by Vangm94

[WOLF2]
Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles
1 minute ago, Vangm94 said:

It's mostly just my formatting that makes it a bit confusing. The main reason I say "Defend Yourself" is because when I fight IJN, I always expect a CV Sniper. So I will defend myself for as long as possible depending on the enemy intel. Example:

• My fleet is full west and I am behind them and currently defending myself. If I see no enemy planes at all for a few minutes, I will have my fighters go full east to make sure he is not coming that way. Well... at least I would try to.

Ahh, gotcha. So we were saying the same thing.

Edited by cometguy

[-BSS-]
Members
484 posts
2,923 battles

Seems like solid tactics, the only problem being straining yourself. When you spread your priorities too thin, at some point, none of them come through. When you are running low on fighters, stop scouting with them. If you can do all those things, by all means, I will appreciate all the help I can get. Once you have run out of a capacity to do something (attacking, fighter cover, scouting, etc), please let us know. Letting us know fighters won’t be coming will give us even more reasons to group up. Saying you can’t attack, and we will attack targets you spot. Thanks for the tips on communication, I should do so more often, and take the initiative. 

[STP]
[STP]
Beta Testers
2,022 posts
11,121 battles

Nice tips.

One point in defend himself, sometimes i use my bombers to first scout the border lines to find any fail snipe trying. But most of time is more about see how much takes to enemy planes show up, if pass some time and you dont see any enemy plane he probabily is trying snipe you.

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,879 battles
1 minute ago, GabeTheDespot said:

Seems like solid tactics, the only problem being straining yourself. When you spread your priorities too thin, at some point, none of them come through. When you are running low on fighters, stop scouting with them. If you can do all those things, by all means, I will appreciate all the help I can get. Once you have run out of a capacity to do something (attacking, fighter cover, scouting, etc), please let us know. Letting us know fighters won’t be coming will give us even more reasons to group up. Saying you can’t attack, and we will attack targets you spot. Thanks for the tips on communication, I should do so more often, and take the initiative. 

Most of the battle is initiative. More so, I take the initiative if my team won't. That is not too related on tactics but more on my personal ability. The main thing with the priorities is that it is the Dive Bombers that do the scouting. The fighters have a more important job of defending my ship and my torpedo bombers. The dive bombers are meant to be decoys too whether for Defensive AA or enemy fighters. Just remember, if a little Ryujo with sheet metal armor can do it, so can any ship!

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,879 battles

I will add my CO Skills and Ryujo Upgrades later.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,326 posts
9,387 battles

When I'm in a CV, I always scout first.

When I'm not in a CV, my team's CV rarely scouts and we get wiped out rather quickly from lack of anything to shoot at.  And when we do spot something, it doesn't stay spotted long enough for the guns to get on target.

I recall one 'Team' battle in an Independence where I actually had to fight an experienced operator for 'Spotting Rights' over the caps.  Send the bombers back - we are jousting the whole battle away with fighters right here.  Our two Clevelands, and their one became rather important fixtures.  I ended up sacrificing all of my planes, but by then my team had taken the lead and held it.

Edited by AVR_Project
  • Cool 1

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,879 battles

Updated with my skills and upgrades.

• Ryujo Captain Skills
      • Must have
    • Torpedo Acceleration
      • Speed matters the most
    • Expert Rear Gunner
    • Last Stand
    • Emergency Takeoff 
      • I don't recommend this skill to many players only because if you are on fire, you already screwed up
      • Difference with me is that I will fight in close quarters combat with my secondary guns
      • This is how I fight
    • Concealment Expert
      • When you are see, it means they are just that close to you that you have to fight
  • Ryujo Upgrades

[-BSS-]
Members
484 posts
2,923 battles
1 hour ago, Vangm94 said:

Updated with my skills and upgrades.

• Ryujo Captain Skills
      • Must have
    • Torpedo Acceleration
      • Speed matters the most
    • Expert Rear Gunner
    • Last Stand
    • Emergency Takeoff 
      • This is how I fight
    • Concealment Expert
  • Ryujo Upgrades

I think that torpedo servicing expert is much more appealing than expert rear gunner. The extra fast torpedo bomber rearm allows me to be 1km or 2 farther and still get my planes out as quickly (or more for USN CVs). 

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,326 posts
9,387 battles

The serious deficit in carriers are the FOUR (4) signals allowed.

Which 4 signals?

For competitive (non grinding) play: 

November Echo Setteseven (10% AA and tail-gunner),

Victor Lima (+1% fire and +4% Flooding chance),

Juliet Whiskey Unaone (+15% Flooding),

and Juliet Charlie (not Fun and Engaging)

If I'm grinding, I sub in the XP flags.

I've never had my CV detonated, nor have I ever seen one detonated.  Am I wasting my flags?

I AM WASTING MY FLAGS.

Edited by AVR_Project

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,879 battles
1 hour ago, AVR_Project said:

The serious deficit in carriers are the FOUR (4) signals allowed.

Which 4 signals?

For competitive (non grinding) play: 

November Echo Setteseven (10% AA and tail-gunner),

Victor Lima (+1% fire and +4% Flooding chance),

Juliet Whiskey Unaone (+15% Flooding),

and Juliet Charlie (not Fun and Engaging)

If I'm grinding, I sub in the XP flags.

I've never had my CV detonated, nor have I ever seen one detonated.  Am I wasting my flags?

I AM WASTING MY FLAGS.

More signals is helpful but I am fine with four because the other eight will probably be wasted. Personally I tend to use signals relating to xp and credits but I will use any signal that seems useful. 

[STP]
[STP]
Beta Testers
2,022 posts
11,121 battles
1 hour ago, AVR_Project said:

Yes, cvs cant detonate by mechanics.

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,879 battles

Forgot to added in Dogfighting Expert Skill

[TF03]
Members
739 posts
2,690 battles
14 hours ago, Vangm94 said:

Communication

• If someone ask for AA support, reply with anything

more off a side note then a problem with it, if people ask i go help if i can or let them know reason why i cant i.e fighter reloading on ammo, but theres the other end to how the players ask for AA support some ask for it if they spot a incoming atk thats great i might off missed it but thanks to them i can try and fight them off, others scream it non stop in msg saying it 10 times in a row or they dont think that you just cant cause off a ship and it's AA i.e cleveland thats right in front off them and will just eat my planes.

i've had ships ive asked to help with AA while i take out there's  just for them to sail off and then shout for AA help not to long after and it really makes you question if you should help them since they were happy not to help you.

for that point to work its best it has to work on both ends CV and ships, i've lost count the amount off times ive told people to look at the mini map or above them before they ask for AA support as my fighters could already be there

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,326 posts
9,387 battles

Asking for AA support when I'm not a CV...

Usually when I see my CV operator has their head up their aft...   And enemy torpedo bombers are heading for me...  and they pass right by floating friendly fighters...

WAKE UP !!!

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,879 battles
2 hours ago, AVR_Project said:

Asking for AA support when I'm not a CV...

Usually when I see my CV operator has their head up their aft...   And enemy torpedo bombers are heading for me...  and they pass right by floating friendly fighters...

WAKE UP !!!

Ask and give a location. That is what would help a CV the best. I will always reply with something, if I am busy, I will say it. Example:

• Good
    • "Need AA Support in C6" or "Scout here (clicks on the map)"
  • Bad
    • "Need AA Need AA Need AA" like... where are you?
  • Myself in almost every Ryujo battle
    • DBs scouting
    • CV heading... C side
    • D side needs more support
    • Engaging soon
      • The usual response to this is "CV, what are you doing!!!"
      • I told them what I was doing
      • By this time, it is more foolish to turn around from a BB when you are 7.5km away since I won't outrun him or his gun range anytime soon.
      • Do a U-Turn, go broadside, dead VS bow forward, lower your profile as much as you can towards his guns

Members
821 posts
3,887 battles
On 4/3/2018 at 6:09 PM, GabeTheDespot said:

I think that torpedo servicing expert is much more appealing than expert rear gunner. The extra fast torpedo bomber rearm allows me to be 1km or 2 farther and still get my planes out as quickly (or more for USN CVs). 

Second this notion, to  take a secondary buff(AFT) instead of TSE in a CARRIER is just plain wrong advice to be giving to anyone. Might work for the OP, (anything can work in a Rhyjo, LOL)   but nobody should be doing that in a CV.   Maybe a Graf ZEP guy might find it of use. But IJN , who  their TB"S are their main strike elements ? no way. And in CV warfare? no way.  In US CV's ? Still stay with TSE , as they have good TB's , though maybe ETO in higher Tiers might be good now given how they have (twisted with a small metal spiral inclined plane) US CV's so well.

Edited by Strachwitz666

[TBOW]
Members
1,176 posts
10,410 battles
2 hours ago, Strachwitz666 said:

Second this notion, to  take a secondary buff(AFT) instead of TSE in a CARRIER is just plain wrong advice to be giving to anyone. Might work for the OP, (anything can work in a Rhyjo, LOL)   but nobody should be doing that in a CV.   Maybe a Graf ZEP guy might find it of use. But IJN , who  their TB"S are their main strike elements ? no way. And in CV warfare? no way.  In US CV's ? Still stay with TSE , as they have good TB's , though maybe ETO in higher Tiers might be good now given how they have (twisted with a small metal spiral inclined plane) US CV's so well.

I think it depends on your play style, if you are some one who is moving with the fleet, guess what you could get seen by spotting aircraft or the enemy CV.  I want my AA as potent as possible to fend him off.  

Members
821 posts
3,887 battles
7 hours ago, gcangel82 said:

I think it depends on your play style, if you are some one who is moving with the fleet, guess what you could get seen by spotting aircraft or the enemy CV.  I want my AA as potent as possible to fend him off.  

IDK, If you're forward moving with fleet by default you will be seen by enemy aircraft, but you also have other ship AA to help . A CV by itself? Below Tier 8 I can say with certainty you are just about never going to fend off an Aerial attack with AA (at least not if I am doing it) only solution is to dodge bombs and torps, which is not too hard.  All you need is to avoid enough to not be sunk. I usually am  happy if somebody sends a snipe because I know they won't sink me about IDK 90%+ of the time and they have just wasted half the battle doing so flying to me and back.

But the real kicker here , is he does this with Rhyjo (sp) and it has a detection radius of 10km (which is super low like most IJN , CV's ) so to be spotted in them up by being up  close , means a lot of guns firing at you , or if you are out by yourself with a 9-10 km spotting radius being spotted there usually means torps are in the water or about to be, and "where be that DD?will answer itself shortly when he starts shooting, with no real need to get inside the measly 4-5KM CV secondary range. 

You'recheating yourself by trying to AA- secondary spec a CV ,  other ships handle that far better if you are in a group, and by yourself it wont help much at all IMO, (below T8- I have no experience of T8+CV's higher , but I still would not think so there because enemy fleet gun fire should plain murder a CV up close,, and planes usually wont going into a "murderball"  inthose instance so better CV AA goes for naught in those cases)

DANG , here I am in  a CV topic, I don't play them anymore in protest because of the US AS nerf, and I shouldn't even be giving any post count on WG game CV topics as well .  I did like to play them and was plain killer with US CV's and fairly good with Rhyjo (57%random).  Oh well.  

Edited by Strachwitz666

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,879 battles
On 4/19/2018 at 8:07 PM, Strachwitz666 said:

IDK, If you're forward moving with fleet by default you will be seen by enemy aircraft, but you also have other ship AA to help . A CV by itself? Below Tier 8 I can say with certainty you are just about never going to fend off an Aerial attack with AA (at least not if I am doing it) only solution is to dodge bombs and torps, which is not too hard.  All you need is to avoid enough to not be sunk. I usually am  happy if somebody sends a snipe because I know they won't sink me about IDK 90%+ of the time and they have just wasted half the battle doing so flying to me and back.

But the real kicker here , is he does this with Rhyjo (sp) and it has a detection radius of 10km (which is super low like most IJN , CV's ) so to be spotted in them up by being up  close , means a lot of guns firing at you , or if you are out by yourself with a 9-10 km spotting radius being spotted there usually means torps are in the water or about to be, and "where be that DD?will answer itself shortly when he starts shooting, with no real need to get inside the measly 4-5KM CV secondary range. 

You'recheating yourself by trying to AA- secondary spec a CV ,  other ships handle that far better if you are in a group, and by yourself it wont help much at all IMO, (below T8- I have no experience of T8+CV's higher , but I still would not think so there because enemy fleet gun fire should plain murder a CV up close,, and planes usually wont going into a "murderball"  inthose instance so better CV AA goes for naught in those cases)

DANG , here I am in  a CV topic, I don't play them anymore in protest because of the US AS nerf, and I shouldn't even be giving any post count on WG game CV topics as well .  I did like to play them and was plain killer with US CV's and fairly good with Rhyjo (57%random).  Oh well.  

It's similar to the main reason why I don't recommend Emergency Takeoff for many players, if you stay in the back and not get attacked it does nothing. TAE is a great skill but I can live without it. For me, everything about Ryujo says "General Purpose" and she is not primarily a Torpedo Boat even though they are my main attackers. She has good speed, good concealment, decent secondaries, decent anti-air, and a lot of planes. There was little reason to include TAE because of these attributes along with her fast rearming time. I make up for TAE with being as close as possible to launch and recover my Torpedo Bombers in addition to having my Dive Bombers find and decoy the enemy Fighters so that I do not lose many of of Torpedo Bombers.

I also think you are making an issue with the wrong thing here, I am probably the only Aircraft Carrier who uses Last Stand because I am willing to fight. If I stop, I am dead. If I turn, I am dead.

[BOTES]
Members
1,895 posts
6,607 battles

I don't recommend SGM1 on any low tier CV because you're making the assumption that a CV will not stagger his planes during a nuke attempt. BoS and DCSM2 are far more important. A smart player will secure a flood or fire(s) and then wait like a vulture. If you repair, that's permanent DoT and you're dead. If you're smart, you wait out the damage, but you absolutely need BoS, DCSM2 and related signal flags to survive for that long.

Edited by awildseaking

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,879 battles
14 minutes ago, awildseaking said:

I don't recommend SGM1 on any low tier CV because you're making the assumption that a CV will not stagger his planes during a nuke attempt. BoS and DCSM2 are far more important. A smart player will secure a flood or fire(s) and then wait like a vulture. If you repair, that's permanent DoT and you're dead. If you're smart, you wait out the damage, but you absolutely need BoS, DCSM2 and related signal flags to survive for that long.

Interesting and I get what you mean. My counter to this is that you protect yourself depending on your enemy (mostly other Ryujo's) so I don't have too much need for BoS and DCSM2. This is because I am protected by my Fighters and I am always on the move anyway so I can attempt to dodge those attacks. BoS and DCSM2 becomes needless when two CV Players snipe you. Still, I do find that interesting. Keep moving fast and make use of Ryujo's maneuverability and her size to not got too much damage from air strikes.

Edited by Vangm94