You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Gneisenau013

Tactical Tip Tuesday

36 comments in this topic

[WGA]
Administrator, Developers
805 posts
5,794 battles

DZ3dxLlVQAAho0-.jpg

Have you ever encountered this situation?

Often times when I play DDs, my goals are to secure the objective, provide intelligence, and spotting for the big guns of my fleet.

I was in my Kidd in a Tier X game with higher tiered DDs. I ventured too far out and ran into multiple DDs also trying to secure the objective. Both a Fletcher and YueYang had me spotted as I entered the cap circle and both started to train their guns on me. 

What should I have done? What would you do in a similar situation?

Sometimes the best course of action is to hold your fire, disengage, use your concealment, and live to fight another day!

Thank you to @Hyf1re for sharing this!

#anchorsaweigh

https://twitter.com/WorldofWarships/status/981184785958793217

• Cool 4

[NEUTR]
Members
2,207 posts
6,051 battles

A match lasts for 20 minutes. There is a time for bravery, but not in the first three minutes of the match.

• Cool 1

[5BS]
Members
4,528 posts
7 minutes ago, NeutralState said:

A match lasts for 20 minutes. There is a time for bravery, but not in the first three minutes of the match.

I don't agree; those who dare, win.

[JKSDF]
[JKSDF]
Members
1,601 posts
2,491 battles
Just now, _RC1138 said:

But even if you dare, getting sunk early because you thought you could take on a Benson, Loyang and one of the Z Destroyers isn’t worth the bravery.

• Cool 1

[NGA-A]
[NGA-A]
Supertester, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
1,264 posts
3,365 battles

Sometimes it is better to wait to see where the red ships are before you rush into a cap, especially alone.

[LHG]
Members
1,618 posts
4,887 battles
2 minutes ago, _RC1138 said:

Or those who dare die quickly and gruesomely as the rest of the team goes to hide behind some island. :Smile_facepalm:

Edited by BB3_Oregon_Steel
  • Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,213 posts
8,798 battles
14 minutes ago, NeutralState said:

7 minutes ago, _RC1138 said:

Daring at the wrong time leads to losses. If you look over the people with sub 45% win rates over a minimum of 1000 matches the one thing they have in common is a low survival rate almost always combined with low damage output.

[5BS]
Members
4,528 posts
1 minute ago, BrushWolf said:

Daring at the wrong time leads to losses. If you look over the people with sub 45% win rates over a minimum of 1000 matches the one thing they have in common is a low survival rate almost always combined with low damage output.

And I have the complete opposite. Always attack, always dare. 90% of enemies run when pushed and that last 20% is where you have to use superior gunnery skill.

[GWG]
[GWG]
15,213 posts
8,798 battles
1 minute ago, _RC1138 said:

And I have the complete opposite. Always attack, always dare. 90% of enemies run when pushed and that last 20% is where you have to use superior gunnery skill.

I said low win rate and your stats, yes you have them blocked but what is still there show that you are not a low win rate player and that you dare at the right time.

Members
841 posts
4,880 battles

In the example given, being spotted by a Fletcher and Yueyang, running isn't likely possible. If that YueYang took radar, you're only hope is to charge them both. If you can make them run, or better yet get close enough for a torp strike - you'll have much better odds of surviving. If you try to run, that Yueyang will simply light you with radar and then both DDs will blow you out of the water while you try in vain to get out of range, all without firing back?

Better to charge and try to take out that Yueyang with torps.

[WDS]
Members
348 posts
6,896 battles
9 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

Daring at the wrong time leads to losses. If you look over the people with sub 45% win rates over a minimum of 1000 matches the one thing they have in common is a low survival rate almost always combined with low damage output

I agree that's me in a nut shell . I'm working on my survival rate , but I still end up dying way too much and too early .

[GWG]
[GWG]
15,213 posts
8,798 battles
5 minutes ago, FleetAdmiral_Assassin said:

In the example given, being spotted by a Fletcher and Yueyang, running isn't likely possible. If that YueYang took radar, you're only hope is to charge them both. If you can make them run, or better yet get close enough for a torp strike - you'll have much better odds of surviving. If you try to run, that Yueyang will simply light you with radar and then both DDs will blow you out of the water while you try in vain to get out of range, all without firing back?

Better to charge and try to take out that Yueyang with torps.

The example given is daring too soon. Unless they are divisioned together the Yueyang is unlikely to take radar over smoke.

Members
17,819 posts
5,087 battles
32 minutes ago, _RC1138 said:

If you're as well-trained as the boys from Hereford maybe.....:Smile_teethhappy:

I don't really disagree though. The problem is, there's a difference between daring and suicidal. If your ability to read situations is subpar, you'll think you're the firmer, when you're actually the latter.

Edited by Skpstr
  • Cool 1

Members
841 posts
4,880 battles
3 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

The example given is daring too soon. Unless they are divisioned together the Yueyang is unlikely to take radar over smoke.

I've yet to see a Yueyang in-game that didn't take radar.

[CUTER]
Members
678 posts
18,607 battles
34 minutes ago, Gneisenau013 said:

I was in my Kidd in a Tier X game with higher tiered DDs. I ventured too far out and ran into multiple DDs also trying to secure the objective. Both a Fletcher and YueYang had me spotted as I entered the cap circle and both started to train their guns on me. 

What should I have done? What would you do in a similar situation?

Your own words betray the problem.  You ventured "too far out" and ran into "multiple DDs".  In a tier X game.  

As a tier viii you have to be situationally aware that you are the underdawg in almost every engagement in a tier x match.  Therefore, prior to battle make note of the enemy DDs, their types, and of course recognize radar threats, even potential ones such as the British.  

As tier Xs they WILL push and bully the cap.  Your job is to make them overextend and punish.  Let their own strength work against them.

However, you obviously were well past this point when you saw the enemy DDs.  Therefore, hit the breaks, pop the smoke, turn away from the threat, use your guns on the closest target that is easiest for you to remain angled against and shoot back.  Use heal.  If targets are still detected, evicerate them while remaining angled to torps.  If they are not detected hold your fire until you are "dark" and launch torps on last known path of approach by enemy DDs.  Then when gun bloom has ended, extricate yourself because the Fletcher will be putting torps into your smoke. 

Live to fight another day and learn from the experience.

[GWG]
[GWG]
15,213 posts
8,798 battles
Just now, FleetAdmiral_Assassin said:

I have seen lots of Yueyang's put up smoke. Radar is likely the best choice for top level players but for more average players the smoke is probably the better choice.

[CUTER]
Members
678 posts
18,607 battles
5 minutes ago, FleetAdmiral_Assassin said:

I play smoke Yue...

[WOLF2]
Members
867 posts
7,019 battles

@Gneisenau013.   Kind of fun to put it in the forums.    How about pushing the idea up to the developers?

They've got a TIPS tab on the match loading page.   Unfortunately, those tips border on stupidity.    In game, we see TIPS like:

"Battleships turn slowly.  Be sure to check your clearance around islands"

"Battleships have the largest guns, and can cause lots of damage when the target is hit"

"Destroyers are fast and have torpedoes"

I like the tips from seasoned players idea - how about putting those in the game?

Edited by DiddleDum
  • Cool 4
  • Funny 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
2,224 posts
8,423 battles
3 minutes ago, DiddleDum said:

@Gneisenau013.   Kind of fun to put it in the forums.    How about pushing the idea up to the developers?

They've got a TIPS tab on the match loading page.   Unfortunately, those tips border on stupidity.    In game, we see TIPS like:

"Battleships turn slowly.  Be sure to check your clearance around islands"

"Battleships have the largest guns, and can cause lots of damage when the target is hit"

"Destroyers are fast and have torpedoes"

I like the tips from seasoned players idea - how about putting those in the game?

This seems a surprisingly good idea! 

+1

[5BS]
Members
4,528 posts
46 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

Funny, and insulting, way to make that "point."

At any rate, even just consider it logically: We play in a *fixed* area, as in, the space we have is the space we have, you cannot run away. If you at the start of the match give up 75% of the physical SPACE of the match, and this has nothing to do with Caps, pretend they don't exist, just the 75% of the 'drivable' surface of the map, that means you are limiting yourself to 25% of the map. That means you fall back from the main 'line' to heal up, be you a High tier cruiser or BB, you only have maybe 15% of the map to actually fall back on since that other 10% they can still spot and set you aflame. Whereas the enemy can fall back that same 10%, and still maintain *65%* of the map.

*AND* that area you hold, that 25%, may not be exactly a straight line. It may be separated, or in a corner, or favoring a side area. You're giving them freedom of movement, and thus, control, of the engagement. And you can bow tank and angle to your hearts content, if you have enemies on two 90 degree angles of you, *1* of them is getting a citadel on you.

If you dare to push, hard, in the start of a match, you maintain control of the map, and thus dictate the terms of the engagement. Basic. Tactics.

Edited by Gneisenau013
Non-constructive/personal insult
  • Cool 1

[WOLFD]
[WOLFD]
Members
344 posts
3,704 battles

Nice tip op. I'll be sure to keep accessing tip Tuesday's as often as I remember. +1

[WOLFD]
[WOLFD]
Members
344 posts
3,704 battles

?

Edited by InventedThought
oops

[TBW]
Members
6,350 posts
11,894 battles
1 hour ago, Submarine_Albacore said:

But even if you dare, getting sunk early because you thought you could take on a Benson, Loyang and one of the Z Destroyers isn’t worth the bravery.

It is if you take 2 of those 3 down with you.

[-BRS-]
Members
877 posts
7,315 battles
1 hour ago, BB3_Oregon_Steel said:

Or those who dare die quickly and gruesomely as the rest of the team goes to hide behind some island. :Smile_facepalm:

There's a difference between yoloing and calculated aggression... Winning lol.