You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Admiral_Thrawn_1

Standardization of Deep Water Torps ships needed

23 comments in this topic

[RKLES]
Members
7,111 posts
8,758 battles

Got thinking as Wargaming continues to add Deep Water Torpedo equipped ships that we may need to standardize their target profiles a little. For example Pan Asian DW Torps don’t hurt DDs, but can damage / sink CAs, CVs, and BBs. Meanwhile the new Asahiho DD only Targets BB and CVs. Which I guess is ok, we might need to have Pan Asian DW Torps be changed to match these new ones by also not targeting CAs. Otherwise this is going to get quite confusing for a lot of players, let’s face it, many  players are still confused about why they can’t shoot others DDs with DW Torps lol.

Not to mention bug reporting / solving bugs will be nightmare with 2 types if DW Torps it will be hard to pinpoint if the Torps get bugged.

• Cool 1

[WOLFB]
Beta Testers
1,446 posts
6,480 battles

She'll be right m8. Bug gets reported and suddenly DWT's are  hitting all ships. Bug rectified :Smile_teethhappy:

[WOLFB]
Members
1,668 posts
8,052 battles

People already have issue with reading. Sometime you see Khaba launching torps against a BB 15km away or Gnesenau trying to torps DD 10km away. Even when it is explicitely said that DWT cannot hit DD, some player still launch them and cry when the torps pass under the DD. 

Well I don't really mind if WG decide to implement this condition to Pan Asia DD, it would be a buff to my cruiser :cap_haloween:

[RKLES]
Members
7,111 posts
8,758 battles

The main problem with 2 types of Deep Water Torps will be CAs knowing if they need to dodge or not since now some DW can hurt them and some will not.

[HINON]
Supertester
18,965 posts
12,479 battles

Part of me finds it typical that OPs suggestion is at the same time a significant nerf to a whole line.

• Cool 2
  • Bad 1

[RKLES]
Members
7,111 posts
8,758 battles
19 minutes ago, Lert said:

Part of me finds it typical that OPs suggestion is at the same time a significant nerf to a whole line.

Ok then give Asashio ability to hit CAs if you want lol. It was Wargaming’s idea to do the ultimate nerf to Pan Asian line by giving them DW Torps that can’t hurt other DDs in the first place. Was not my idea make Pan Asia weaker than other DDs.

• Cool 1

[SPF]
[SPF]
Members
91 posts
9,183 battles
18 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

It was Wargaming’s idea to do the ultimate nerf to Pan Asian line by giving them DW Torps that can’t hurt other DDs in the first place. Was not my idea make Pan Asia weaker than other DDs.

DWT are not a nerf for the pan-asians. they just require a different playstyle and if used correctly can be even more devastating than regular torps. if you think pan asians are weaker than the other DDs, then you probably have not seen what the T6-T10 are capable of doing with their guns.

[RKLES]
Members
7,111 posts
8,758 battles
7 minutes ago, _Kaiser_Sose_ said:

DWT are not a nerf for the pan-asians. they just require a different playstyle and if used correctly can be even more devastating than regular torps. if you think pan asians are weaker than the other DDs, then you probably have not seen what the T6-T10 are capable of doing with their guns.

I have seen them vs other Gunboat DDs like USN, KM, or second line IJN. And when you get mixed up in a DD brawl with guns firing, smoke being spread, and Torps launched... Guess who catches a Torp and who does not? Seen this happen more times than I can count.

I may just be a little too Ranked minded about DDs, but some of those same brawls happen in Randoms as well. Another difference is may not  get yelled at for using a DW Torp DD in Randoms, but Ranked your team will often be quite angry if you take a Pan Asian into Ranked, simply because you can’t clear a smoked DD with your DW Torps. 

Edited by Admiral_Thrawn_1

[ARGSY]
Members
5,825 posts
3,974 battles
57 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Ranked your team will often be quite angry if you take a Pan Asian into Ranked, simply because you can’t clear a smoked DD with your DW Torps.

Agreed, but then again, this seems to be why the Lo Yang exists. For the pay-to-play crowd, it's to be the answer to all your Pan-Asian problems.

[PROJX]
Members
967 posts
15,492 battles
3 hours ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Got thinking as Wargaming continues to add Deep Water Torpedo equipped ships that we may need to standardize their target profiles a little. For example Pan Asian DW Torps don’t hurt DDs, but can damage / sink CAs, CVs, and BBs. Meanwhile the new Asahiho DD only Targets BB and CVs. Which I guess is ok, we might need to have Pan Asian DW Torps be changed to match these new ones by also not targeting CAs. Otherwise this is going to get quite confusing for a lot of players, let’s face it, many  players are still confused about why they can’t shoot others DDs with DW Torps lol.

Not to mention bug reporting / solving bugs will be nightmare with 2 types if DW Torps it will be hard to pinpoint if the Torps get bugged.

Interesting issue that you raise - will it be a tactical issue being unable to differentiate the 2 DWT types?

Unless the Asashio DWT proliferates to many ships, I hadn’t been too concerned by this in that there is only 1 ship type that is affected by this - Cruisers.  I always check the lineups at the start of battle to determine DD threat among other things so the main scenario would be if there were a PA & Asashio on the enemy team & I were playing a cruiser, I would just have to treat any DWT threat as if they were PA (the DWTs are so late in detection that were mainly talking about preventative maneuver vs reactionary maneuver).

Bug reporting, as you point out, would be somewhat problematic if there were no way of differentiating the 2 DWT flavors.

Edited by hangglide42

[LUCK]
Members
1,276 posts
19,091 battles

IMO if you drive the ship, know its capabilities. As for the DWT issue, when spotted, an exclamation point above each torp could appear if it can damage your ship. Simple.

EDIT: I've seen so few of them I can't recall right now if this already occurs. Ignore if it does.

Edited by Wye_So_Serious

Members
17,814 posts
5,087 battles
3 hours ago, AlcatrazNC said:

Even when it is explicitely said that DWT cannot hit DD, some player still launch them and cry when the torps pass under the DD. 

I don't play my T4 a lot. I think every game so far, I've launched torps at a DD and it takes a few seconds for me to think, "oh yeah...." :Smile_teethhappy:

[BLUMR]
Members
2,048 posts
6,976 battles
4 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

I don't play my T4 a lot. I think every game so far, I've launched torps at a DD and it takes a few seconds for me to think, "oh yeah...." :Smile_teethhappy:

Ive had div m8's from my clan yell at me what the [edited] i was doing for launching torps in their path to hit enemys behind them. Then they realize that they are DWT when they sail harmlessly past their ship xD

• Funny 2

Members
5,574 posts
7,121 battles
4 hours ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

You're kidding, right?

Who cares if you don't know if those torps heading your way can actually hit you?

That's like half the fun of crapping your pants only to find out you're in the clear. :Smile_teethhappy:

Edited by Wulfgarn
  • Cool 2

[SIM]
Members
2,443 posts
4,080 battles

I agree that DWTs should be standardized, and that multiple versions of the weapon will simply cause confusion and degrade the quality of the game. The Pan-Asian line got DWTs right, and there was no reason to mess with them on Asashio.

[SW]
Beta Testers
1,886 posts
8,176 battles

You keep sailing a DD that has deep water torps, I will keep sinking them with my IJN and American torps.

[O7]
Supertester, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
10,668 posts
7,570 battles

Maybe we should remove overmatch to, it must be pretty confusing trying to remember which ships can punch right through your bow and which can’t. 

[SYN]
[SYN]
Beta Testers
1,822 posts
10,755 battles

I love (and pray on) the misconception that PA DDs are weak because they have DWT. Maybe it's because people with such belief haven't met higher tier PA DDs? From T7 on, PA DDs are among the highest DDs, if not outright the highest, with WR, DMG, survival rate, etc.

Hsienyang is the only meh boat in the group but still holds up well against the competition.

Yes, keep stop shooting and showing me your broadside trying to torp me, just because you have "better" torps, while I put a few salvos of US 5" shells into your belly. You are also welcome to torp into my mile long smoke. Good luck guessing where I am in the smoke, if I am still in it at all.

Edited by chewonit
  • Cool 1

Beta Testers
354 posts
8,409 battles

OR maybe just dodge the torps regardless of who or what shot them. I know using WASD hacks is forbidden for most people but moving your ships not just in straight lines usually helps. Also, how hard is it to look at their team and see they have THE ONE SHIP that has torps that only target BB's and CV's? Also, you can enable ship names on your MINIMAP to further identify what ship, if spotted, is launching torps on you. Just feels like the OP doesn't want to have to use his brain or any muscles other than W to his ship in full speed and his LMB to tunnel vision fire till he gets 1 shot by a BB. 

• Bad 1

[TBW]
Members
6,350 posts
11,894 battles

Deep water torps were originally not going to be able to hit the light cruisers, they figured that would be too confusing. I suppose there will be yet another type of torp indicator. Maybe WG can make a different verbal warnig fo them too. "Deep water torps inbound" "Very deep water torps inbound"

[RKLES]
Members
7,111 posts
8,758 battles
8 hours ago, Sillypuddi said:

OR maybe just dodge the torps regardless of who or what shot them. I know using WASD hacks is forbidden for most people but moving your ships not just in straight lines usually helps. Also, how hard is it to look at their team and see they have THE ONE SHIP that has torps that only target BB's and CV's? Also, you can enable ship names on your MINIMAP to further identify what ship, if spotted, is launching torps on you. Just feels like the OP doesn't want to have to use his brain or any muscles other than W to his ship in full speed and his LMB to tunnel vision fire till he gets 1 shot by a BB. 

Lol actually I like using my brain which is why I only play games that require a lot of thought. I dodge Torps regardless unless I am in a brawl using my DD vs Pan Asian then I just smile since the Pan Asian are only half armed compared to my DDs.

Reason I created this thread is I do not want to explain the differences to players a thousand times in battles. Or having to listen to players in chat raging about their DW Torps being “broken” because one of their DW Torps kills Cruisers and the new ones can’t...

As far as ship names already know, you don’t enter battle let alone get into attack range without my knowing what ships  are in battle or incoming. 

[SEOP]
Members
1,286 posts

I'm not much on torpedo lore.  Is there a historical precedent for deep water torps...or is this something WG made-up?

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Members
2,765 posts
1,320 battles
33 minutes ago, Dr_Dirt said:

I'm not much on torpedo lore.  Is there a historical precedent for deep water torps...or is this something WG made-up?

Well, real torpedoes in WWII had a depth setting.  Usually 10 feet would hit DDs and bigger, but wouldn't damage a bigger ship as badly, so those might be set to 12 or 14 feet.  But if set to 12 or 14 feet, there's a good chance a well-aimed torpedo would go right under and past a DD, for example.