You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
ReddNekk

Tier 10 DD advice

12 comments in this topic

Members
3,654 posts
13,535 battles

I found the groove with DDs a short while ago and I'm having a ball driving 'em. I'm interested in getting a tier 10 DD, preferably one that's a decent mix of gunboat and torpedo boat. Gearing and Z-52 look pretty good. Any suggestions/advice/hints?  :cap_book:

• Cool 1

[KNMSU]
Members
1,530 posts
818 battles

Mix, then Z-52 or Gearing. Gearing has those floaty USN shell arc, but great rof and good torps. Z-52 had flatter arcs and good AP (for a DD) Also has fantastic german hdro. Torp reload is under a minute with AR and >25% HP. I'm slowly working toward Z-52, but i'm not a dd main at all.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,783 posts
14,864 battles

For me, Z-52 is a more enjoyable ship to play, and more effective. Please don't forget this is an opinion only, and that I am no Unicum DD player.

Members
606 posts
5,429 battles

Z-52 is a tricky one, you can "trap" enemy DDs with your smoke+hydro combo, you have excellent torpedo reload (68s i think) and your AP can deal massive amount of dmg if you shoot broadside target. However, the HE are just trash and your gun RoF is very weak, so you need really plan ahead and don't engage gunfight unless you have smoke and hydro ready. Also your torpedo range is only 10.5KM which means russian radar can spot you on your torp run, and if you are not carefull enough, even USN T10 radar can that too, also german DDs take a huge amount of dmg from AP,  so that can ruin your day quite easilly too.

Gearing is like easy mode compared to Z-52, Gearing has the gun RoF advantage and torpedo range to avoid being detected by radar, also the concealment on torpedoes is excellent, it can (and should) equip DFAA for AA cover. The only disadvantages are torpedo reload (around 2 minutes) and that it takes a lot of dmg from AP (same as Z-52).  

Spoiler

The best high tier DD is Fletcher anyway :-D

So it is really your pick, you either take trap DD that can spam torp like nothing else, or a DD that can out-DPM any DD that is not called khabarovsk.

Members
1,030 posts
95 battles
15 minutes ago, nothere01 said:

also german DDs take a huge amount of dmg from AP,  so that can ruin your day quite easilly too

I used to think that as well, but when I tested it on various dds using Atlanta, Scharn and Bismarck, I didn't get any higher AP pen on Germans. Angled DD often gets a full pen damage, regardless of nation, broadside DDs overpen with most AP, except Atlanta's 127mm and even then there's no significant difference between Germans and other nations. Try and test it for yourself, there's really no major difference.

• Bad 1

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,271 posts
3 hours ago, nothere01 said:

Z-52 is a tricky one, you can "trap" enemy DDs with your smoke+hydro combo, you have excellent torpedo reload (68s i think) and your AP can deal massive amount of dmg if you shoot broadside target. However, the HE are just trash and your gun RoF is very weak, so you need really plan ahead and don't engage gunfight unless you have smoke and hydro ready. Also your torpedo range is only 10.5KM which means russian radar can spot you on your torp run, and if you are not carefull enough, even USN T10 radar can that too, also german DDs take a huge amount of dmg from AP,  so that can ruin your day quite easilly too.

Gearing is like easy mode compared to Z-52, Gearing has the gun RoF advantage and torpedo range to avoid being detected by radar, also the concealment on torpedoes is excellent, it can (and should) equip DFAA for AA cover. The only disadvantages are torpedo reload (around 2 minutes) and that it takes a lot of dmg from AP (same as Z-52).  

Reveal hidden contents

The best high tier DD is Fletcher anyway :-D

So it is really your pick, you either take trap DD that can spam torp like nothing else, or a DD that can out-DPM any DD that is not called khabarovsk.

Don't have the Z, have the Gearing, find the Khab very interesting. 

The Gearing reload times can be lowered using a cmdr skill for faster reload. You can also boost her torp speed. The torps have a very long range, so the boost is sort of fun as they go pretty dang fast. 

If you've played IJN dds then go with the Gearing... under 6km detection when setup properly, some of the best smoke in the match too.. always try to deploy it when you're "on the boost" as you string it out a much longer distance without thinning it out. :cap_haloween:

I've asked in the past... and it seems to hold true today... you do not want to get into a gunfight with a Khab when you're in a Gearing. If the driver's any good, he'll hand you your stern in no time. But she doesn't have the stealth of a Gearing nor a Gearing's torps. So play your strengths. 

When in a Gearing the Z is defeatable as long as you remember the Z's strengths and go at her weak areas. I think you stand a better chance of surviving an up close gunfight against a Z than a Khab, fer sure.... so it seems it really depends where you are now and where you wanna be...

The Z's line has some kinda of tough ships climbing up the ladder. The USN or IJN have "reasonably" decent ships the whole climb. I'm weird, so I like the Udaloi... One day though, I'll finish the grind to the Shima.

Cause you know, Shima. 

• Bad 1

Members
606 posts
5,429 battles
6 hours ago, geser98 said:

I used to think that as well, but when I tested it on various dds using Atlanta, Scharn and Bismarck, I didn't get any higher AP pen on Germans. Angled DD often gets a full pen damage, regardless of nation, broadside DDs overpen with most AP, except Atlanta's 127mm and even then there's no significant difference between Germans and other nations. Try and test it for yourself, there's really no major difference.

2 hours ago, Herr_Reitz said:

Don't have the Z, have the Gearing, find the Khab very interesting. 

The Gearing reload times can be lowered using a cmdr skill for faster reload. You can also boost her torp speed. The torps have a very long range, so the boost is sort of fun as they go pretty dang fast. 

If you've played IJN dds then go with the Gearing... under 6km detection when setup properly, some of the best smoke in the match too.. always try to deploy it when you're "on the boost" as you string it out a much longer distance without thinning it out. :cap_haloween:

I've asked in the past... and it seems to hold true today... you do not want to get into a gunfight with a Khab when you're in a Gearing. If the driver's any good, he'll hand you your stern in no time. But she doesn't have the stealth of a Gearing nor a Gearing's torps. So play your strengths. 

When in a Gearing the Z is defeatable as long as you remember the Z's strengths and go at her weak areas. I think you stand a better chance of surviving an up close gunfight against a Z than a Khab, fer sure.... so it seems it really depends where you are now and where you wanna be...

The Z's line has some kinda of tough ships climbing up the ladder. The USN or IJN have "reasonably" decent ships the whole climb. I'm weird, so I like the Udaloi... One day though, I'll finish the grind to the Shima.

Cause you know, Shima. 

May i ask why are you replying to me with such trivial info? I am not OP and i didn't ask about any opinion. Although i give you one point, forgot about the smoke. 

• Funny 1

Members
1,030 posts
95 battles
8 hours ago, nothere01 said:

May i ask why are you replying to me with such trivial info?

Sorry, matey! I thought this was a discussion. You made a point and I thought it was not entirely correct. Maybe if you don't want your discussion points challenged by random passer-by you should stick to blogging rather than forum discussions.

• Cool 1

Members
1,513 posts
7,988 battles

Hey

My top advice:  Play your own game; especially when a team call's B/C and you get 3/4 of the way to C and you have NO support, you find the 2 cruisers and a BB all left and went to A/B area.  I got pushed out of C but managed to recap C, and by the time I got back to B, all but 3 of us were dead, managed only 1 kill and a couple fo defends.  The enemy carrier then did his job and kept me spotted, took massive damage, took out my propulsion twice back to back, even with smoke.  Then died.  Don't count on your team for nothing!  I was in my new Z-23.  

Members
3,654 posts
13,535 battles

Thanks folks! I cant make up my mind so I'll just work up both USN and KM DD lines. It should be fun! :Smile_great: