24 comments in this topic

Members
2,117 posts
4,727 battles

SO far I've played an extremely large number of battles in her, 32 to be exact. I like her, HE spamming is really fun but AP is quite a let down unless I get in close. It's hard to citadel battleships unless it's a Tier 5 New York, Texas, Iron Duke or Kongo. The HE is the bread and butter of this ship, and the main type of ammunition I rely on. It struggles when up-tiered and targeted early in the match. Durability is a cross between USN and IJN, more IJN but sometimes surprisingly USN. Not very maneuverable, more IJN level than the USN Standards. She's really doing well according to Warships Today and I'm still struggling to get my stats up, especially in terms of average damage and my EXP gain is really low across the board (not just in the KGV). Any tips on how to play her better and get my stats up?

What I've also noticed is she seems to have much less utility in terms of being a game changer than the other Tier 7 battleships. She doesn't have Nagato and Colorado's AP shells, she doesn't have the brawling capabilities and turtleback of the Germans (is brawling still a thing in the current meta?), she has smaller caliber guns than Nelson (Nelson's also not much of a game changer either), and she doesn't have the ridiculous 16-gun broadside of Lyon. I often don't get first place in a match in the KGV, even when I've done like 70k+ damage. Do you guys have the same experience as well?

Overall she's a fine ship and I hope to play more of her. She's one of the few ships I've gotten a Confederate in.

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,257 battles

At least what worked for me was to treat her more like an HE spamming cruiser.  A really nasty as all hell cruiser.  You don't really want to brawl with her unless the situation is extremely favorable, because her AP is lackluster.  And brawling with HE is a very, very bad idea because you lack the alpha damage.  With the KGV you need to give your HE's fires time to work their magic.  It doesn't hurt to spread your volleys around and try to get multiple targets on fire, but pay attention to which ships you've set on fire to see if they're used a DC party to put out the fires.  Then HE spam the heck out them to get a fire or 2 or 3 that stick for a good long time.

Don't be afraid to use AP if you find yourself engaging a lot of cruisers, but be aware that it may not be all that special.  You can get cits with it on cruisers, so it is worth using in the right situation.

If you find yourself bottom tier, keep up your HE spamming.  Now, I'm going to say something that may be controversial, but if you happen to find yourself in a good position to use terrain to remain unspotted while spamming away it's not a bad idea, particularly if you have higher tier BBs out in front of you.  But don't fall in love with such a position.  It's nice to be able to get off a  few volleys unspotted, but if the action is moving away from you and your team is pushing forward, push with them.  You can still remain behind the front line of BBs in the longish mid range, but stay with them and keep up your HE spamming and always be aware of who has used a DC party, because they're ready to receive the KGV's gift of fire!

Also, because you're using HE most of the time, never be afraid to blast away at DDs, because your HE will absolutely wreck them if you have good aim.

@Zionas I absolutely LOVED my KGV and my time grinding her.  The thing can be a beast, if you don't mind the HE spamming play style.  Personally, I don't like the RN's BB HE spamming meta  and prefer the more traditional BB's slinging AP meta, but I'm used to playing it in cruisers so it was easy enough for me to play in RN BBs. But I still enjoyed the KGV because I was able to be very successful playing her.

• Cool 1

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,780 posts
14,775 battles

What amazes me is how different two ships of the same class play; KGV and Duke of York. To me, they play much more uniquely than Bismark and Tirpitz or Iowa and Missouri.

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,423 posts
3,367 battles

Interesting, from everything I've been reading it looks like KGV may just be the BB for me. I like the Gneisenau and Scharnhorst for their speed, secondaries, and torps; but find that I tend to get overconfident and in over my head with them. A fast firing and mobile ship like KGV, more like a very large cruiser than a slimmed down Tirpitz, might be just my speed if I can learn to hang back a bit and follow the fight rather than charging into it.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,780 posts
14,775 battles
23 minutes ago, Zionas said:

How does Duke of York play differently from KGV?

The Dork of York has a slower base rate of fire; a better base range for her main batteries; better AA; better top speed but worse rudder shift time. To quote the Wiki ...

"The major differences between Duke of York and King George V come in the form of anti-aircraft firepower and consumables. Duke of York features a greatly enhanced AA suite; 65 and 32 DPS on her two long range batteries, 235 on her mid-range, and 189 on her short range (in comparison to KGV’s 65, 145, and 74 on her long, mid, and short range, respectively). With the proper commander skills and upgrades, her AA can be very powerful. The raw DPS comes at the cost of a short AA range on all of her mounts. Because she is a large and easy target, significant amounts of her AA will also be lost throughout the course of a battle as she absorbs damage from enemy high explosive shells. Additionally, Duke of York has access to the Hydro-Acoustic Search (While active, detects all enemy ships and torpedoes within the specified radius, regardless of obstacles (such as smoke screens or islands).) consumable, making her more resistant to torpedo attacks."

"Overall, Duke of York is essentially a King George V that sacrifices main battery reload and additional Repair Party (While active, restores a fixed percentage of a ship's hit points each second.) consumables for increased anti-aircraft firepower, Hydro-Acoustic Search (While active, detects all enemy ships and torpedoes within the specified radius, regardless of obstacles (such as smoke screens or islands).), and premium bonuses.

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
Members
7,083 posts
8,720 battles
56 minutes ago, Zionas said:

Duke of York has enhanced short range AA, a little better Concealment, and getting Hydro. Has helped me get 55-60%+ WR in Duke of York. Duke of York does get 1 less Repair Party Consumable though, but if you carry Premium Consumables and Superintendent Skill you don’t usually miss not having the extra one.

They say the reload is slightly worse on Duke of York compared to King George V, but have not really noticed that much. I do suspect the AP on Duke of York might possibly be better than King George V, but might just be in my experience. And finally since Duke of York is a premium ship it does make more XP and credits per battle than the regular tech tree version the King Gorge V.

If you want more info consult the Duke or York Review by @LittleWhiteMouse

• Cool 1

[PROJX]
Members
967 posts
15,405 battles
5 hours ago, Zionas said:

The DoY’s hydro allows you to play more aggressively around DD torpedo threats & her AA can make her a better “roamer” than KGV, to Umikami’s point.

Edited by hangglide42

[RKLES]
Members
7,083 posts
8,720 battles
3 hours ago, Zionas said:

Will DOY be available again?

Always a possibility, but doubt it will be free like last time, will likely cost cash or Doubloons next time it appears.

Members
932 posts
5,673 battles
14 hours ago, Umikami said:

The Dork of York has a slower base rate of fire; a better base range for her main batteries; better AA; better top speed but worse rudder shift time.

The Duke of York doesn't really have a "base" state, because it, being a premium ship, has all of the KGV's equivalent modules already installed. So, comparing them both in their final module-installed conditions (because that is the only equal condition both ships can have):

Duke of York has approximately 20% slower rate of fire,

Duke of York has one less heal,

Duke of York has a 2.5-second slower rudder shift

KGV has spotter/fighter aircraft, DoY has none (meaning if you fit a spotter plane, the KGV can, when the spotter is flying, access main battery range the DoY can't)

DoY gets sonar...so sonar for torpedobeats, but slower rudder shift?? "Ummm, gee, thanks, WG?"

DoY has better AA, but in reality, that better AA is short-range, so, does it really benefit you that much?

14 hours ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

And finally since Duke of York is a premium ship it does make more XP and credits per battle than the regular tech tree version the King Gorge V.

Does it really, though? if the 20% reduced firing rate costs you damage done in comparison to KGV, then you're not really getting all of the premium ship benefit. Right now,  na.warships today shows the DoY behind the KGV in average XP. Doesn't account for Permacamo though? You can buy the permacamo for the KGV, which has the same multipliers as the DoY camo.

I did a cost comparison of buying the DoY vs. skipping the QE and buying KGV for posting in another thread a while back, for a DoY buyer who bought it to avoid the QE grind, among other reasons. Didn't post it then because, well, because I was being merciful in the debate in other thread.

It includes all of the holiday discounts that were in force at the time of the DoY purchase window. So today, the numbers would shift. It also specifically includes the cost of skipping the QE. Without skipping the QE, I guess that cost would have dropped 1800-2000 doubloons. That write-up is in bold:

"Now, DoY base package (ship and port slot) was $44.29

"The day the DoY was made available, there was a bonus doubloons sale going on. $44.29 would have netted you 11,402 doubloons.

"From Dec 26 to Jan 2nd Wows was running, a 75% discount on port slots; one would cost 75 doubloons. Also, they had a 35:1 special on Free XP conversion going on at the same time. They also had a doubloons-to-credit sale (2200 credits per doubloon) at the same time. (You can STILL look all this up.)

"So, how far toward a KGV would $44.29 have gotten you? Let's see:

Port slot                                                                                                                                              75 doubloons
8,830,000 credit cost of KGV and all its upgrades (you're in a clan, this presumes 
your clan gets you the 10% ship cost discount, but not on modules)                                 4014 doubloons
XP Conversion to Free XP sufficient to research KGV, all of its modules,
the Queen Elizabeth and its B Hull (necessary to skip it)                                                     5458 doubloons

"And that's it. Fully upgraded KGV and fully skipped QE tip the scales at                          9547 doubloons

"So, how far to the KGV would $44.29 get you, I asked? Answer: All the way. Fully upgraded. Fully skipping the ship you dread, and at less outlay.

"That's 1855 doubloons in your pocket, or about $7.20  not spent.

"There is perma-camo to consider in the deal as well. I looked at your stats and noticed you have/had an Iron Duke, and have played it. If you had, or fought for at that time, a net of a mere 5075 XP in it, that would have been enough XP to have reduced your XP conversion cost to skip the QE, and have the full 2000 doubloons left to have the KGV suited up all spiffy in perma camo."

End previous write-up.

The other negative about any premium ship is that the extra XP it may earn gets you nowhere in the line grind, unless you pay to convert.

I like my premium ships and would deny no one the right to like theirs, but unless a given premium does some specific thing better/different/compelling than it's tech tree counterpart, without some serious drawback, then I have to question whether it is worth money or not. For me, the increased reload time of the DoY violates my deal-breaker criteria.

Edited by MannyD_of_The_Sea

Members
626 posts
1,630 battles
On 4/3/2018 at 8:26 AM, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Always a possibility, but doubt it will be free like last time, will likely cost cash or Doubloons next time it appears.

It cost cash last time, you just had the option of completing missions for it. 

[RKLES]
Members
7,083 posts
8,720 battles
5 minutes ago, Aristotle83 said:

It cost cash last time, you just had the option of completing missions for it. 

True, but as is the case with many event ships. It’s the next time the ship is made available that the option for getting it for free goes away.

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,257 battles
On ‎4‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 2:55 AM, Umikami said:

What amazes me is how different two ships of the same class play; KGV and Duke of York. To me, they play much more uniquely than Bismark and Tirpitz or Iowa and Missouri.

Honestly, Umikami, I don't see that much difference between the KGV and DoY, in spite of those little differences.  To me, their play style is effective the same.  Stay at range, HE spam the heck out of the enemy, start fires, start more fires as the enemy puts them out with a DC party, rinse and repeat as necessary until you burn the enemy to the waterline.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,780 posts
14,775 battles
12 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Honestly, Umikami, I don't see that much difference between the KGV and DoY, in spite of those little differences.  To me, their play style is effective the same.  Stay at range, HE spam the heck out of the enemy, start fires, start more fires as the enemy puts them out with a DC party, rinse and repeat as necessary until you burn the enemy to the waterline.

I don't see the difference as much playing as I do playing against; KGVs are (IMHO) much tougher than their Duke-ish cousins. Of course, that may just be that the players who Captain KGVs have more, or better, experience due to grinding up to their ships where I think perhaps many DoY Captains won their ships through in-game missions and they are the first RN BBs they have played.

The AA makes a significant difference, but of course not in every match. Some matches have no CVs, some that do will not attack the DoYs, and all that do attack may not be effective. The Wiki itself says, and I quote: "Overall, Duke of York is essentially a King George V that sacrifices main battery reload and additional Repair Party (While active, restores a fixed percentage of a ship's hit points each second.) consumables for increased anti-aircraft firepower, Hydro-Acoustic Search (While active, detects all enemy ships and torpedoes within the specified radius, regardless of obstacles (such as smoke screens or islands).), and premium bonuses."

Given a choice, I would opt for the reload and repair, personal preference.

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,257 battles
6 minutes ago, Umikami said:

I don't see the difference as much playing as I do playing against; KGVs are (IMHO) much tougher than their Duke-ish cousins. Of course, that may just be that the players who Captain KGVs have more, or better, experience due to grinding up to their ships where I think perhaps many DoY Captains won their ships through in-game missions and they are the first RN BBs they have played.

The AA makes a significant difference, but of course not in every match. Some matches have no CVs, some that do will not attack the DoYs, and all that do attack may not be effective. The Wiki itself says, and I quote: "Overall, Duke of York is essentially a King George V that sacrifices main battery reload and additional Repair Party (While active, restores a fixed percentage of a ship's hit points each second.) consumables for increased anti-aircraft firepower, Hydro-Acoustic Search (While active, detects all enemy ships and torpedoes within the specified radius, regardless of obstacles (such as smoke screens or islands).), and premium bonuses."

Given a choice, I would opt for the reload and repair, personal preference.

Like I said, I didn't say that there weren't minor differences.  That doesn't change the fact that the play style is the same.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,780 posts
14,775 battles
2 minutes ago, Crucis said:

That doesn't change the fact that the play style is the same.

And honestly, playing against them, the playstyles I encounter are very different between the two ships; Go Figure?

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,257 battles
3 minutes ago, Umikami said:

And honestly, playing against them, the playstyles I encounter are very different between the two ships; Go Figure?

They've always seemed exactly the same to me.   RN BB?  Check.  HE spamming from mid to longer range?  Check.  Burning the crap out their enemies?  Check.  Reasonably quick and nimble for a battleship?  Check.   Seems like the same play style to me.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,780 posts
14,775 battles
2 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Seems like the same play style to me.

I find DoY players to be more timid (as a rule), less willing to take any fire, and perfectly willing to snipe from max range; again, just my experiences, where KGVs, again as a general rule, stay more with the group (or pack, or herd, however you want to put it), accept the increased fire that comes with mid-range brawling to get the kills and or damage, and generally more willing to trade damage for results. I see more DoYs semi-alone in the back of maps where usually, KGVs are grouped up with other BBs. Like I said before, I put it down to how the ships were acquired; one by effort rewarded and one as a prize without the experience any player will get through grinding a line.

Similarly, when Bismarks were given out as prizes, I noticed a difference in how they were played (for a while, it has since evened out some) when compared to Tirpitz. Even though Tirp is a premium, and requires no grind to acquire, the experience of the players involved clearly shows through.

[HSD]
Members
279 posts
9,399 battles

KGV:

Distance fighter, abuse that concealment value, know when to fade out and lose aggro, brawling is not a specialty but with a submerged citadel don't be afraid to wade in when necessary (saturating the enemy with targets to overwhelm them, provide another angle of threat, etc).

Know your overmatch values. What thickness of armour can your AP punch through (it's not very good for her tier but she can still do it to certain ships).

AP, still quite feasible against Cruisers if they aren't heavily angled and workable against BBs with adjusted aiming. I find far more consistency aiming for upper belt pens over waterline pens, I will readily say that the increased consistency does come at the cost top end potential. But again this comes down to knowing values and the ship you are shooting, close enough and you will punch through at the waterline.

Otherwise yes HE, HE is viable, just don't forget you have AP, one of the things I like about RN BBs is that they actually gain good leverage out of both ammo types and truly excel when you can leverage both in tandem, I enjoy the engagement of having to think about what my next salvo should be and having to think X number of salvos ahead and try to predict. Unlike other BB lines where it is; AP, AP, AP, AP, AP, AP, AP, AP, AP, AP, AP, AP, AP

Another thing I have found that greatly improves my play experience is taking the Expert Loader skill, being as I find RN BB ammo selection far more dynamic I find this skill to be paying significant dividends if I sense an opening coming while I have 1 type of ammo loaded and the impending opening calls for the other type.

Members
1,502 posts
7,911 battles

Hey

I found for me; I really don't care all that much for the KGV.   I find that the AP does not seem to perform consistently and there is something wrong about a BB, slinging HE all the time, it would NEVER have happened in real life (yes I realize it's only an arcade game and not a simulator).  The turrets are slow, although fast for a RN BB, the AA is fair, armor is decent, speed is decent but overall, I would much prefer the Scharnhorst or Gneisenau, the French Lyon is more fun, even my Hood gives it a run for the money, at least for my style of play.  I'm still on the fence about continuing up the RN BB line at this point since they just don't push the right buttons; shame because I was so looking forward to them in game.  I would like to see maybe some premiums come out like:  Royal Sovereign Class, Renown Class, Vanguard would be a good T7 perhaps a T8 since it was an improvement over the KGV. 

Pete 

[BANT]
Beta Testers
120 posts
4,387 battles

My problem with KGV is that it's armoured like a cruiser. Not only does it suffer from IFHE spam, but the armour is also so thin all over the ship that 15" and 16" armed battleships can hit you for full pen damage essentially at will, no matter whether you're angled, kiting, anything. It just can't take a hit, at all, which is really bad on a battleship that relies entirely on HE DoT. I've had 12" armed Cesare's punch 20k damage out of it per salvo despite angling, which is not good.

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,543 posts
13,992 battles

KGV has Tech Tree RN BB Armor Piercing shells.  They have very quick to set off fuses.  This lets them get fewer overpens against, say Cruisers, but against Battleship armored belts, they become less reliable.

Try this with your RN BB AP agaisnt Battleship threats.  Go for non-belt strikes, i.e. upper hull / lower superstructure.  Especially against some BBs with massive superstructures.  Aim at the base.  You won't get citadel hits, but you'll rack up more hits as shells hit upper hull, lower superstructure, and the quick fuses of RN BB AP gets you more pens.