Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Happy668

How does Steering Gears mod2 and mod3 addup?

12 comments in this topic

[WOLF1]
Members
1,984 posts

say the turning time is 10 secs, add mod2 drops to 8 secs, if add mod3, will it go to 8*0.6=4.8 secs? or 10-2-4=4 secs?

[NEUTR]
Members
2,207 posts
6,024 battles

Yes, but there are better options. You also lose a lot of speed when turning, mind you.

[-K-]
Supertester
3,085 posts
6,818 battles

It works the same was as detection bonuses, ROF bonuses, range bonuses, etc.  Add the bonuses and then multiply by the base value.  60% bonus for Mod 3 + the 20% bonus of mod 2 = 80% bonus.  Multiply .8 x 10 and your bonus is 8.  Subtract the bonus from the base and you get a rudder shift of 2 seconds.

Remember though, that no matter how fast your rudder shifts, your turning radius remains the same.  Rudder shift makes the boat change directions faster.  It does not change the time or distance required to actually change directions.

Edited by Pope_Shizzle
  • Cool 1

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts
1 hour ago, Pope_Shizzle said:

It works the same was as detection bonuses, ROF bonuses, range bonuses, etc.  Add the bonuses and then multiply by the base value.  60% bonus for Mod 3 + the 20% bonus of mod 2 = 80% bonus.  Multiply .8 x 10 and your bonus is 8.  Subtract the bonus from the base and you get a rudder shift of 2 seconds.

Remember though, that no matter how fast your rudder shifts, your turning radius remains the same.  Rudder shift makes the boat change directions faster.  It does not change the time or distance required to actually change directions.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^this

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,780 posts
14,769 battles

Things I got out of this post ...

1 hour ago, Pope_Shizzle said:

Remember though, that no matter how fast your rudder shifts, your turning radius remains the same.

Thank You, @Pope_Shizzle

1 hour ago, NeutralState said:

You also lose a lot of speed when turning, mind you.

Thank You @NeutralState

Unfortunately, those who do NOT turn end up eating Torpedus for dinner. RNGeezus loves WASD!

[WOLFB]
Beta Testers
1,446 posts
6,317 battles
2 hours ago, NeutralState said:

Yes, but there are better options. You also lose a lot of speed when turning, mind you.

You don't install these mods to turn around faster. You install em too change direction quicker. DD like rudder shifts in some cruisers is awesome :Smile_glasses: 

[WOLF6]
Members
174 posts
2,055 battles
9 hours ago, Pope_Shizzle said:

Sorry Pope, I know you have a lot of experience in this game, but that's not how bonuses stack.  Order of operations is important.  You can't add the bonuses first, and then multiply.  You have to apply the first bonus, and then apply the next bonus to the value obtained after the first calculation.

For this example of a rudder shift of 10', SGM2 will bring it down to 8 seconds, and SGM3 is a 60% improvement on 8 seconds, which is 4.8 seconds.

Maybe chalk that one up to posting late at night?

Members
17,657 posts
5,082 battles
10 hours ago, Pope_Shizzle said:

Rudder shift makes the boat change directions faster.  It does not change the time or distance required to actually change directions.

Then how does it make the boat change direction faster? :Smile_teethhappy:

I know what you mean though.

I like using it because my crews seem to really like shore leave, and that quicker rudder has often meant the difference between a miss or a scrape, and a beaching lol.

[WOLF1]
Members
1,984 posts
7 hours ago, Crusin_Custard said:

You don't install these mods to turn around faster. You install em too change direction quicker. DD like rudder shifts in some cruisers is awesome :Smile_glasses: 

yup, in fact this is an interesting question, we actually would want another data from WG, how many degrees per second the ship can change direction, i know it may be calculated from turning circles and speed (reduced), but we don't know the exact reduced speed when turning do we? this is more important data than turning radius since this is what you need how fast you can hide your broadside and avoid getting hit

[WOLF1]
Members
1,984 posts

actually from what i understand, rudder shift is NOT how fast your ship can change direction, but rather how fast your ship will BEGIN changing direction, the delay

[WOLFB]
Beta Testers
1,446 posts
6,317 battles
16 hours ago, Happy668 said:

BEGIN changing direction, the delay

Increases Rudder response, and in doing,  your ship starts altering course sooner . So yes, you are correct. New Orleans
benefited the most from using the two rudder mods, when eye was grinding in her. Being able to fade out enough too bring
guns to bear on target, then fade in again, before target can get a shell or eight into your side is a big bonus for a cruiser.

It allowed myself to comfortably go on the, aggressive  offensive, during a battle with her. :Smile_glasses: 

Edited by Crusin_Custard

Sign in to follow this