You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Battlecruiser_NewZealand

Cobi WWII Aircraft and Tanks

12 comments in this topic

Members
3,360 posts
3,915 battles

So... I've been big into Lego since I was a little kid. And I've been a pretty staunch believer all the way that Lego produces the best brick (IE, they have the most sound quality control, better conceptual set design, colors, instructions, etc.). I was, even from an early age, loathe to "taint" my collection with off-brand bricks (and I still am).

However, I recently - pretty much on a whim - purchased a Cobi Heinkel HE 111 and... wow. I mean, look, it's got about 90% of the QC as Lego, the instructions flat-out suck, there's much less internal playability, and the minifigs are stupidly awkward. But for about $60, I am now staring at a near-model-quality brick-built bomber with natural looking camouflage, functioning bomb bay, fully retracting landing gear, and a friggin' 2-foot wingspan. It's astounding how big this thing is - I don't know why, but I completely underestimated the scale when I ordered it.

65Xh1TX.jpg

Anyway, I know I am not the only Lego fan here, and if you've glanced at these things and gone "ehhhhhh," I'm here to say: go for it. It was definitely a cool 2 hours spent. 

Here's their website (there are tanks, too).

Edited by Battlecruiser_NewZealand
  • Cool 2

[VVV]
[VVV]
Members
681 posts
10,323 battles

My only issue is how damn expensive some of the modern lego kits are though I am interested in that Zero kit 

Members
3,360 posts
3,915 battles
3 minutes ago, yamato6945 said:

My only issue is how damn expensive some of the modern lego kits are though I am interested in that Zero kit 

These are pricey, but they're less than Lego - I mean, this thing was $60, and I'm going to say, based on its size (and not part count - it used a lot fewer smaller pieces than a Lego set of its bulk would utilize), this would easily be a $120ish release by Lego (if, you know, Lego did military [which they never will, despite embracing violent themes like The Avengers, Batman, etc. *shrug*. It's weird what people rationalize when it comes to mortality vs. dough]). 

Edited by Battlecruiser_NewZealand

Members
3,360 posts
3,915 battles
Just now, Submarine_Albacore said:

Why do the pilots remind me of pop team epic?

The pilots are a complete **** show - but the good news is, I believe the cockpit is roomy enough for two Lego minifigs.

[VVV]
[VVV]
Members
681 posts
10,323 battles
2 minutes ago, Battlecruiser_NewZealand said:

These are pricey, but they're less than Lego - I mean, this thing was $60, and I'm going to say, based on it's size (and not part count - it used a lot fewer smaller pieces than a Lego set of its bulk would utilize), this would easily be a $120ish release by Lego (if, you know, Lego did military [which they never will, despite embracing violent themes like The Avengers, Batman, etc. *shrug*. It's weird what people rationalize when it comes to mortality vs. dough]). 

Good to know I might get the Zero kit once payday rolls around if do I'll post some images. 

Members
3,360 posts
3,915 battles
Just now, yamato6945 said:

Good to know I might get the Zero kit once payday rolls around if do I'll post some images. 

There are two zeros, just FYI (my dad totally overlooked the brown one, too, when he bought his). 

Members
974 posts
1,871 battles

lego should really come out with a WWII line of sets. the grownups would get them because of the history and the kiddies would get them because "Ohh tank that look so cool". there is no down sides to this Idea and they would make some decent money from it

P.S. before you say that they can't because of the swastika they can always replace it with the Iron Cross and if people complain about that then they are just stupid( the Iron Cross has been used as a military symbol in germany before germany even existed)

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,780 posts
14,815 battles
1 hour ago, Battlecruiser_NewZealand said:

and a friggin' 2-foot wingspan.

Had no idea the models were that large.

[SOUP]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,306 posts

All they have is a Somua....   i cri.

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,423 posts
3,367 battles
11 minutes ago, Chobittsu said:

All they have is a Somua....   i cri.

Well they've got a Lorraine 40t in the WoT section. So that's... Well, something I guess?

1,542 posts
26 battles
On 03/04/2018 at 4:05 AM, Battlecruiser_NewZealand said:

So... I've been big into Lego since I was a little kid. And I've been a pretty staunch believer all the way that Lego produces the best brick (IE, they have the most sound quality control, better conceptual set design, colors, instructions, etc.). I was, even from an early age, loathe to "taint" my collection with off-brand bricks (and I still am).

However, I recently - pretty much on a whim - purchased a Cobi Heinkel HE 111 and... wow. I mean, look, it's got about 90% of the QC as Lego, the instructions flat-out suck, there's much less internal playability, and the minifigs are stupidly awkward. But for about $60, I am now staring at a near-model-quality brick-built bomber with natural looking camouflage, functioning bomb bay, fully retracting landing gear, and a friggin' 2-foot wingspan. It's astounding how big this thing is - I don't know why, but I completely underestimated the scale when I ordered it.

65Xh1TX.jpg

Anyway, I know I am not the only Lego fan here, and if you've glanced at these things and gone "ehhhhhh," I'm here to say: go for it. It was definitely a cool 2 hours spent. 

Here's their website (there are tanks, too).

<3 I love these! I was always bothered by the fact that lego didn't do really anything in the way of military stuff so these will definitely be something I'll look into come payday!