You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
legozer

Tenryu is the best.

20 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
1,267 posts
8,704 battles

It is: the Tenryu is the best. It's a nearly perfect cruiser. Great ROF and DPM at its tier, very respectable range, good torpedoes, a great balance of speed, maneuverability and concealment; the prototypical balanced cruiser.

IMHO it is a better seal-clubber at T3 than the Bogeyman Bogatyr.

I believe that the Tenryu is quite likely the best cruiser at its tier. Emile Bertin, Shchshchors and Henri could all argue, but I'm leaning to Tenryu.

• Cool 4

[TF16B]
Members
8,065 posts
17,029 battles

Methinks the OP has yet to meet many competent St Louis sealclubbers... err... drivers, or they’d not think Bogatyr was the boogiman...

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,783 posts
14,864 battles
12 minutes ago, ChevyFox said:

I will take my Karlburg any day over those two :p lol

I think you mean Kolberg, the German tier 3 cruiser, and not Karlsruhe, the tier 4 German cruiser.

[CK5]
Members
781 posts
6,246 battles

I agree with the OP, the Tenryu is the best.  A good Tenryu driver would never let a St. Louis get the advantage in the first place.  

[KNMSU]
Members
1,479 posts
818 battles

I just love her Kancolle design. That's why I keep her around.

[TF16B]
Members
8,065 posts
17,029 battles
15 minutes ago, PrairiePlayer said:

I agree with the OP, the Tenryu is the best.  A good Tenryu driver would never let a St. Louis get the advantage in the first place.  

A good St Louis driver never lets such prey know they are even there until it’s too late to matter.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet

[NDA]
Supertester, Alpha Tester
5,473 posts
4,055 battles

Agreed. She's a fun cruiser at tier three. The Kuma's pretty good at tier four too.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
1,323 posts
14,695 battles
2 hours ago, legozer said:

It is: the Tenryu is the best. It's a nearly perfect cruiser. Great ROF and DPM at its tier, very respectable range, good torpedoes, a great balance of speed, maneuverability and concealment; the prototypical balanced cruiser.

IMHO it is a better seal-clubber at T3 than the Bogeyman Bogatyr.

I believe that the Tenryu is quite likely the best cruiser at its tier. Emile Bertin, Shchshchors and Henri could all argue, but I'm leaning to Tenryu.

Then you'll love Kuma.  I enjoyed that line. 

[ARGSY]
Members
1,267 posts
8,704 battles

St. Louis?? LOL please!

Look, St. Louis is a blast, no question, but it's a lazy l'il tank, bristling with ridiculous casements. It's a target, and it can never be anything but. It's slow, has poor concealment, and doesn't reward considered play in the way that her IJN counterpart does. St. Louis is a bull in a china shop; a pretend BB; a marauding barbarian. 

Tenryu, though, is elegant. No target circles...she's a stealthy, slippery killer-in-the-night. The model for the eventual perfection of the Zao.

AT HER TIER, Tenryu is the epitome of balance. She needs no gimmicks, no niche. She is just perfect for what she is; the very essence of Japanese aesthetic.

Yeah, I'm gonna love this line. What the hell took me so long?

[ARGSY]
Members
1,267 posts
8,704 battles
1 hour ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Methinks the OP has yet to meet many competent St Louis sealclubbers... err... drivers, or they’d not think Bogatyr was the boogiman...

Bogatyr is an OP ship at its tier when specc'd and handled the right way.

[TF16B]
Members
8,065 posts
17,029 battles
1 hour ago, legozer said:

Bogatyr is an OP ship at its tier when specc'd and handled the right way.

Something I don’t disagree with, but Bogatyr is not St Louis.

Why does everyone always seem to presume ‘X’ ship is going to play the game the way they think? Terrible concealment? I sneak up on things all the time in St Louis. Pretend battleship? Pretty much; can I take that as a compliment?

The St Louis may be a marauding barbarian; but that barbarian is armed with a battle axe that will make them regret their life choices if they’re stupid or arrogant enough to play it’s game.

Same thing with something like a South Carolina. Tenryu once thought I wasn’t anything but just another dumb battleship. He got close in order to not miss, and I blew him away from full health with a face full of citadels.

Why don’t I ask this; if your cap is being swarmed by destroyers; or you’re a battleship in the same situation; what would you rather have there to defend the cap or help? A St Louis? Or a Tenryu?

BOTH ships are deadly in their own way, but I’ll stick with St Louis.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet

[ARGSY]
Members
1,267 posts
8,704 battles

You just replied to an argument about Bogatyr being OP with a big ol' rant that compared St. Louis to Tenryu in a cap full of DDs. Thanks!

• Cool 1

[CK5]
Members
781 posts
6,246 battles
10 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

A good St Louis driver never lets such prey know they are even there until it’s too late to matter.

The St. Louis' stock detection range is 10.98km.  The Tenryu's is 8.28km.  

[TF16B]
Members
8,065 posts
17,029 battles
2 hours ago, PrairiePlayer said:

The St. Louis' stock detection range is 10.98km.  The Tenryu's is 8.28km.  

And that has what bearing on a fight exactly?

Yet again; a seeming presumption that any fight is going to occur in open water.

My North Carolina's detection as set up is 14.1k, my Gnisenau's 15.7k.

I got within 7k of a full health North Carolina on Neighbors in a Gneisenau, without being spotted, using nothing more than one of those dinky islands north of the north Standard cap; and proceeded to murder him at point blank range.

With the exception of Polar, and even then only until mid-game when the fight closes; any map a St Louis sees has enough cover to allow the ship to easily get within effective range of a Tenryu, or anything else for that matter.

Additionally; game fights don't occur in a vacuum. Go right ahead; kite that pood dumb St Louis... In the meantime some destroyer will be taking your cap; or it or another cruiser, (another Tenryu being the ultimate justice,) will be lining up torps or gunfire, or a battleship who know how to shoot will be lining the Tenryu up for a devstrike.

10 hours ago, legozer said:

You just replied to an argument about Bogatyr being OP with a big ol' rant that compared St. Louis to Tenryu in a cap full of DDs. Thanks!

Again, which I didn't disagree with.

The rest is a continuation from earlier. Bogatyr would be just as useful as St Louis in the same situation.

[WAIFU]
[WAIFU]
Members
4 posts
4,437 battles

In a game with Tenryuu verses St Louis, I'd bet on the Tenryuu.  She has much more flexibility and options than St Louis, and can dictate the terms or engagement with her concealment and torpedoes.

Source: Plays/Is Tenryuu.

Edit: Tenryuu's flaws are that she is really easy to citadel, and has far less guns than most of her contemporaries.

Edited by TenryuuKaiNi

[KNMSU]
Members
1,479 posts
818 battles

Tenryuu is love. Tenryuu is life. Tenryuu is waifu.

• Cool 1