You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
coletrain_commander

Observation of kills (and who's bagging them)

39 comments in this topic

Members
161 posts
1,304 battles

Hello!

I've noticed since I started to play T6 and T7 ships that every time I get sunk it's by a player with one of those fancy elite emblems (literally I've kept track over the past 50 battles and only once has it been someone with a regular patch).

I know that earning these emblems requires a T8 ship or higher play and other requirements SO...does this suggest that there are very few non-veteran / non-elite players around at mid levels? Or is the skill gap is just so great between these players and everyone else that most of the kills are bagged by the veterans?

Edited by coletrain_commander

[CUTIE]
Beta Testers
4,264 posts
7,719 battles

I'm guilty of going back to lower tiers sometimes when I'm just not in the mood to deal with the higher tier meta. I know lots of other people who are accomplished top tier players doing so for relaxation too.

As for the question itself, that skill gap also exists at top tiers, there are players at T10 who you sometimes wonder how they got there. That skill gap between players is a feature of the game, not exclusive to any tiers. Better players will most likely win more engagements, and often seem like they're bagging more kills and contributing more, these badges require some effort to get and are relatively new, so most players who got them early are people with consistently good battles... though overtime less dedicated players will also have them as many of them just require time, like the national ones for example.

Edited by Woofship
  • Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
493 posts
4,066 battles

I think it's that most people don't bother going for them, I haven't bothered trying yet.

• Cool 1

[INTEL]
Members
8,406 posts
25,228 battles
8 minutes ago, MasterDiggs said:

I think it's that most people don't bother going for them, I haven't bothered trying yet.

This.

Members
3,406 posts
6,067 battles

Any number of veteran players also do new lines of ships or countries and have to go back to lower tiers.  When I do - I try and start out later and try and shoot less.  At times I forget I am at lower tiers however I do try and make sure we win if I can.  Not to mention - unless one has a premium ship at a higher tier, veteran players NEED top go back to the mid-tiers juts to make enough silver to play the high tier.   Especially true for any player who does not have a premium account.

The biggest skill a veteran has.... knowing how to aim.

Edited by CylonRed

Members
161 posts
1,304 battles
10 minutes ago, MasterDiggs said:

I don't understand. I'm saying that most of the time I'm killed by a player who DOES have one of these emblems 

[PVE]
Members
493 posts
4,066 battles
5 minutes ago, coletrain_commander said:

I don't understand. I'm saying that most of the time I'm killed by a player who DOES have one of these emblems 

You also asked if there were fewer veteran players at mid tiers, I think it is not that but that not many veteran players go for the ranks.  I think that veteran players are playing those tiers without playing to earn the emblems.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
1,320 posts
14,658 battles
9 minutes ago, coletrain_commander said:

My guess is you are doing anything juicy.  One of the other things veterans do is hold fire until they see the right target.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
573 posts
4,522 battles

For myself its grinding up lines i haven't done. Currently pan asia DDs and KM cruisers.

So yes you do see veterans there plus its a great way to earn credits with premium ship's, thank you payfast!

Members
161 posts
1,304 battles
11 minutes ago, MasterDiggs said:

You also asked if there were fewer veteran players at mid tiers, I think it is not that but that not many veteran players go for the ranks.  I think that veteran players are playing those tiers without playing to earn the emblems.

I actually asked if there were few non-veteran players at mid tier. That would be one reason why it seems like most of the time I'll killed by someone with an elite emblem

[SWOB]
[SWOB]
Alpha Tester
1,143 posts
6,479 battles

I think it's a bit of everything.  They're not that far of a reach for a player who is fairly experienced at T10, but they do require a certain sustained level of play over 100 games that means for most folks it'll take a bit more than casual play.  Thus, if you see people with them at lower tiers there's a reasonably good chance they're a better than average player with a good bit of high level play under their belts.

Even for the emblems that you can earn with the T9 and T8 ships, you are more likely to get them if you're playing tier 10 ships simply because there is more damage to be dealt at T10, so it's somewhat less likely that somebody's going to get them while they are still grinding up the tech trees.

That all adds up to the fact that the folks who have them right now in the game are likely to be fairly experienced players with a minimum level of ability even if it's just the ability to do damage before they die.  In my experience there's a pretty big difference between somebody who has played 500 games and 1000 games, let alone the 3000 to 5000 games that I imagine most people who have a few hundred high damage T10 matches under their belt will have played.  Warships is definitely a game where there is a substantial learning curve that doesn't really stop at least until you have several thousand games played.  I've got about 5000 games since release and maybe a thousand in alpha and beta and I know that I'm still improving as a player as I become more familiar with new ships and develop better situational and map awareness now that I'm not really worried about any of the basic game mechanics.

Lots of experienced players, even those who have unlocked everything already, play lower tiers because they have a favourite ship or a premium that they can earn good credits in, or even just to help a friend out who's grinding a new ship.

• Cool 2

[TF16B]
Members
8,038 posts
16,968 battles
1 hour ago, MasterDiggs said:

Have a slew of them. Haven’t bothered to do one yet.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,780 posts
14,796 battles

There are two good reasons to play lower tiers; less expensive so it's easier to farm credits, and there are fewer skilled players at lower tiers so it is easier to farm XP also.

[PROJX]
Members
967 posts
15,422 battles
2 hours ago, coletrain_commander said:

Hello!

I've noticed since I started to play T6 and T7 ships that every time I get sunk it's by a player with one of those fancy elite emblems (literally I've kept track over the past 50 battles and only once has it been someone with a regular patch).

I know that earning these emblems requires a T8 ship or higher play and other requirements SO...does this suggest that there are very few non-veteran / non-elite players around at mid levels? Or is the skill gap is just so great between these players and everyone else that most of the kills are bagged by the veterans?

I'm not sure if there's a direct correlation w/ those using the Emblems vs. those using patches and whether the emblems necessarily indicate "seal clubbing" or something of that significance.

I personally don't "try" for any of the emblems, other that just my normal gameplay trying to help my team win.   Some who are concerned w/ their stats may be "trying" for the score threshold emblems (the 4 sets for each ship type that require certain score thresholds) - personally, I don't pay attention to the scoring ones.  The result is I do have some of the scoring emblems and the other type that grouped nation defined for quantity thresholds (i.e. 15, 25,50,100 top 3s).  I chose to use the top 3 emblem and scoring ones interchageably mainly because (to my eye), they look a bit better than the badges and the top 3s just indicate to other players that I may not be a bad person to have on your team.

Also, I tend to play the mid-tiers based on the following criteria (most of my credit/FXP/Captains XP farming is done w/ T8/9 ships like the Musahi/Missouri/Kutuzov/Tirpitz):

• If a clanmate wants to division at these tiers
  • I'm grinding thru (i.e. like the most recent French BBs)
  • I just enjoy a certain ship (e.g. Lyon, Scharn/Gneis, Blyskawica, Myoko, Leningrad)
  • Certain missions requiring specific tasks (e.g. number of torp hits since torp reloads are faster at lower tiers, shooting down planes is easier if I just play a T5 CV like the Bogue).
  • Making use of a daily win bonus to increase XP/FXP/Captains XP farming
  • Want a different gameplay style than that at T8-10, which many players complain are too static.

My general point is that there may be nothing insidious about seeing a emblem pop up if you happen to get sunk - there are a lot of reasons why players enjoy playing mid-tiers.

Missions

Edited by hangglide42

[-GPS-]
Members
2,516 posts
24,548 battles

A lot of players I know have some emblems but don’t display them because they don’t want to call attention to themselves. 

I do check my progress and may adjust ship choice to get to a threshold of 15 or 25 battles or an average damage number. I didn’t start out  trying for any of them but do now when I get close. 

As for playing lower Tiers, there are lots of reasons. A losing streak at Tier 10 might drive me into the Gremyaschy or one of the Kamikaze clones. I’m still learning CV and like playing a Hosho. Sometimes I just want to tear things up in my Izyaslav with a 19-point captain. And Tier 7 is a sweet spot for MatchMaking and earning commander XP, etc. 

[NEUTR]
Members
2,207 posts
6,028 battles

a 1 hp ship can do full damage, a 1 hp DD can sink any ship with torps. So kill are only important when it is to finish off an enemy as fast as possible.

Members
5,577 posts
3,946 battles

I don't think you have to be particularly skilled to have some of those emblems.

Members
841 posts
4,880 battles

In addition to what others have already said, there are a LOT of veteran players that prefer to seal club. It makes them feel superior to sink those that are still learning the game, and is one way they get those pretty purple sigs they crave without actually having the skill to fight other veteran players.

Members
2,117 posts
4,727 battles

And then you also have average players like me. On a scoreboard you'd often find me below the above average / veteran players, but above almost everyone else, assuming I had a decent or good match in a ship I'm familiar with.

Edited by Zionas

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,034 posts
12,514 battles

To answer your main question, mid-tiers tend to be a mix of both experienced and new players. Even players who own all the Tier X ships sometimes play mid-tier ships because they want a change of pace, or want to play a premium they bought at those tiers. Unlike a lot of other games, players aren't expected to just stick to max tier once they reach it in WoWS.

As to why it tends to be emblem players that sink you, it makes sense that a more experienced player is likely to take advantage of the opportunity to get you than a novice.

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,423 posts
3,367 battles

The thing that baffles the heck out of my is why I keep getting killed by people with destroyer emblems that are driving battleships.

Members
3,406 posts
6,067 battles
5 hours ago, RichelieuKaiNi said:

I don't think you have to be particularly skilled to have some of those emblems.

Very true - I am a very average and I got lot sof patches/emblems by just playing - no trying needed to get many of them.

Members
17,686 posts
5,084 battles
9 hours ago, MasterDiggs said:

Yup, when I get one, I get one.

Members
17,686 posts
5,084 battles
6 hours ago, RichelieuKaiNi said:

No, but at this point, you'll need to have done some fairly focussed playing, or played a whole lot of games to meet that particular requirement, which I think all the emblems have.