Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Gene_Inari

Why is Defense of Naval Station Newport so difficult?

26 comments in this topic

[AR]
Members
219 posts
5,509 battles

All this mission is sitting on a defense line behind island cover and shooting ships that sail at you in a straight line. Couldn't be any more straightforward, yet my only success at this mission this week worth mentioning is this: 

f29ed2f200.jpg

And even then, I think it was only 3 or 4 stars.

I've been trying for days on my La Galissonniere to just burn my daily boost on it and grind the research needed, but even with 100k+ damage, everyone dies and fails the mission at the third wave. 

Edited by Gene_Inari

[KWA]
Members
299 posts
4,167 battles

If you team doesn't know how to focus fire it's super easy for the DDs to sneak into the circle and then you'll deal with a bunch of ships that just suddenly spawn.

[WFSDL]
Members
610 posts
8,290 battles

Everyone usually rushes forward and gets dead, rather than defending together as they should. Frustrating, haven't played it for a while because of that.

• Cool 1

[BOATC]
Members
297 posts
7,127 battles

There’s also a tendency to sail to a useless spot on the map, and you will never get back in time.

[HINON]
Members
8,836 posts

Often players bring terrible ships then Yolo and die.  Run to pointless positions then get the next wave to spawn on them and die.  Bring a cv and hide in the farthest rear of the base and don't know how to use manual attacks. Bring bbs and sit at max range in the base so the cruisers take focus fire and die etc etc. I can usually pull a win out but how many stars is hard to say with random teams unless I'm in the ryujo then I can almost always get at least 4 stars when solo.

Edited by RipNuN2

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
1,312 posts
9,404 battles

The quality of play in operations has fallen lately. Used to be while Naval Station Newport was the hardest operation, I would frequently see the Allied carrier, and would normally get 4 or 5 stars. Complete failures were rare.

Lately, I've seen the Tenryu or Yubari get into the base a couple times, I dread what Ultimate Frontier is going to look like with this bunch.

[WORX]
Members
1,642 posts
12,695 battles

This was/still is the most difficult operation of all. This is where an all Cleveland/Fast shooting/fast moving BB  fleet is recommended in order to pass the Operation with some success. If you dont have that type of fleet then its easy to get overwhelmed. Its easy for a BB to be out of position. Its easy to not get the 2 CVs requirement because defense is important too. This is one operation I love, the action is intense and for the whole 20 min, your defending from start to finish non stop. Because of

• So many Variety of ships in tier 6 in every class/type.

Sometimes, those other ships make the operation harder then it all ready is.... I wish WG would do more operation that is nonstop 20 min endurance shoot'em up type operation Like the Defense of the naval station Newport. Its fun, Cheers Guys :cap_rambo:

[INTEL]
Members
6,627 posts
25,306 battles

It is the most difficult but if the team works well it shouldn't be. Alas therein lies the problem. Potatoes abound.

They do not listen  to experienced players, they yolo and die, on top of many  bringing the wrong ships. They should know better by now.

[TF16B]
Members
8,063 posts
16,998 battles
42 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

Bring a cv and hide in the farthest rear of the base and don't know how to use manual attacks.

NEVER. NOT IN A MILLION YEARS.

I always rushed up with my Ryujo tighter than a tick on a bloodhound against that center island in the mid/outer defense line. I don’t know how many times I’ve dodged torps of destroyers rounding that island; killed said destroyers by air strike or secondaries, and been the last man standing in both wins and loses. I’ve even finished off that Izumo with secondary fire and a ram.

For exactly those reasons I can’t stand playing it any more... Not enough players seemed to understand they needed to kill the destroyers and other small ships, so I could go out and soften up or sink the big boys. So many times the right things didn’t die, the second carrier spawned, and it was just a massacre after that.

[WOLF8]
[WOLF8]
Members
2,175 posts
3,096 battles

Only thing that's needed is good aim and willingness to focus fire. You can venture out a bit from the defense circle, if you can manage to come back quickly in one piece. I've done it few times, to get clearer and easier shots on rushing bot DD's, though each time somebody would always call me out to come back, lol (and I do right away, so please don't worry... I'm not suicidal).

I personally believe that the ship type shouldn't impact the outcome too much, as long as the player behind it has good aim and good sense. I've gotten plenty of five stars in the past, so I know it's doable with at least decent players within the team.

Then again, that was a while ago. It seems like things are a little different these days.

[TF16B]
Members
8,063 posts
16,998 battles

In one respect it’s easier... WG used to have a Myoko and Hipper (Yorick?) appear to chase the Lex reinforcement; now it’s just an Aoba and Nurnburg.

[INTEL]
Members
8,430 posts
25,296 battles

This op requires discipline and good coordination. It requires players to bring the right ships, high volume of fire with good fire chance like Cle, Buddy, and De Grasse. It requires constant anticipation and repositioning.

Its a tough op and really good. Random teams dont do so well, too many players dont listen or bring the wrong ships. The " real men don't take advice" problem is cancerous in WOWs but it is especially pernicious in this op.

It also seems that the bots have become tougher. I play ops regularly with a group of skilled and experienced players and we have all noticed this.

[PVE]
Members
161 posts
4,983 battles
49 minutes ago, RagingxMarmoset said:

I just got a win with zero stars; didn't even know that was possible. Wave after wave after wave of torpedoes.

Had one of those yesterday. Most of the team cuddled up to the repair ships.

[1IF]
Members
69 posts
2,559 battles

I've played the operation twice, and only to get the 10 point capt.  The first time, the team pulled off a one star win and I couldn't hit the broadside of a barn with the Fuso.  The next game, I take Cleveland, had a monster game in her and the team pulled off a 5 star victory.  The NM and Dunk on our team did a good job of focus firing, and the cruisers (more Clevelands and a De Grasse) and CV were really good at taking down the DDs.  And this was without anyone in divisions.  I guess I got lucky with that team.

[WOLF5]
Members
272 posts
5,094 battles

It is mostly because players are used to rushing forward to secure a kill on bots, and when they do that, they suddenly find themselves facing new spawns and get focused down.

As the OP said, stay behind island cover and use the batteries as meat shields then focus fire best as you can. 

I have found that most groups do really well in the first wave, then lose it when the 2nd spawn and everyone got out of position from rushing the last ship of the 1st wave.  And if they managed the 2nd wave, some ships will pull back to repair, leaving fewer ships to hold back the bots and those will eventually get overran.

One thing I have found to help, is to spec IFHE for my captains driving cruisers.  They produce very good results when killing DDs.

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

Defending is something Most don't do. I went in and had to constantly remind all to stay and defend let the enemy come to our focus fire. Some get it most don't.

Members
1,030 posts
95 battles

The operation is much easier when as an additional task you need to rescue allied CV, it gets really hard to 5-star it when you need to sink "large aircraft carrier". With spawn of allied carrier everything is easy - see what side first enemy attack will come from and it will spawn on the opposite side. So you just bring something like a Cleveland or a single decent BB there and all is well.

On the other hand, when killing enemy carrier is the task, it is during the final attack. So you need to sneak behind the enemy lines and sink the carrier and the problem is that by this stage DDs are usually long dead and if you push towards carrier with too much of your remaining force, you leave the base for the taking. A good CV on your team can sink the carrier, but this will cost them most of their planes and you will lose extremely valuable help against enemy push.  So when I see this task being announced, I know that 5 stars is almost not an option.

Just as usual a Cleveland or a Leander are the best ships for this task IMO. Last night we had 3 Clevelands on the team and getting 5 stars was just too easy (as with any mission when you have 3 Clevelands). During the final push, once allied carrier has been saved from enemy cruisers it's a good idea for all to retreat to repair circles and just sit there getting repaired while still dealing damage.

Members
279 posts
724 battles

Players that go out more than a few km from the base line die.  It gets logarithmically harder after that.

General strategy: BBs just inside perimeter at 1/2 speed.  Cruisers just outside the perimeter shooting DDs.  DDs using cruisers as shields and intercepting any leakers or BBs that are last ship in a wave with torps.

[WOLF5]
Members
272 posts
5,094 battles

I am going to have to start working on the British Cruiser line soon so that once the US cruiser line split happens and I no longer have the Cleveland for T6 ops, I will at least have the Leander.

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,423 posts
3,367 battles

I'll admit that my main problem is going too far out to meet the initial cruiser/destroyer waves, then having to rush back to the repair ship and take my guns out of the fight for a bit. That said as long as your team can actually coordinate well (bring a division!) you'll be fine, you should be able to get at least a three star easily enough.

[5BS]
Members
4,494 posts
9 hours ago, Gene_Inari said:

All this mission is sitting on a defense line behind island cover and shooting ships that sail at you in a straight line. Couldn't be any more straightforward, yet my only success at this mission this week worth mentioning is this: 

Because that is exactly the way you are *not* supposed to play it. You cannot defend something from behind it. I rarely have an issue in that Operation and that's because I push back. If you let them get close, they will always sneak through in the first phase, and if you fall too far back for the second phase, they'll get a lucky hit on the base and deny you 5 stars. Push them and you win every time. Plus, most of the ships just plow ahead bow on, and unless you are in a BB (and then you have RoF issues) you cannot do much damage from INFRONT of them.

• Cool 2

[SALT]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
3,660 posts
2,671 battles

95% of the fail teams I see on this operation refuse to push out from the green zone to engage the targets before they push in and coordinate.

All of my 5 stars on this operation was with us pushing out and going round robin mopping up the spawns. It's so easy knowing where they will be based on the first spawn and to rotate across the map. The biggest issue is that a lot of people going into them want to sit some where and just shoot and half of the time they can't even hit the targets. I've had to carry 8 matches today with a buddy because most of them were falling back by the 2nd wave to the repair ships forcing us to do all the heavy lifting.

It's honestly sad because it's actually one of the easiest operations if you move as a team and clean up the targets in a fast rotation; because, if you go as a group the damaged vessels can rotate out and fall back for the final wave as you go back across the zone cleaning house.

Members
17,784 posts
5,084 battles
11 hours ago, SgtBeltfed said:

The quality of play in operations has fallen lately. Used to be while Naval Station Newport was the hardest operation, I would frequently see the Allied carrier, and would normally get 4 or 5 stars. Complete failures were rare.

Lately, I've seen the Tenryu or Yubari get into the base a couple times, I dread what Ultimate Frontier is going to look like with this bunch.

UF isn't bad. You can carry a big sack of potatoes with a secondary-specced Gneisenau, as long as there's no DD or CV flavoured ones.

Be prepared to travel all over the map though lol.

[SF-3]
Members
1,442 posts
7,901 battles

Haven't played OPs in a while. I always found having a decent CV was incredibly important.

Sign in to follow this