You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
GetRekt_X9

Essex vs. Midway

Upgrade or not?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. To upgrade to the Midway, or not to.

16 comments in this topic

[R-F]
Members
17 posts
5,415 battles

So I'm pretty close to upgrading to the Midway, although I'm having concerns on whether or not its worth it. With the T8 Torpedo bombers I think it could be problematic seeing more T10 ships then I do already. Other opinions?

On a side note, does anyone know how T10 cv queue is?

[SF-A]
Members
2,847 posts
5,547 battles

Do it. At the very least it becomes elite, and you can convert XP on it down the line. At best you might find a new favorite ship.

Ultimately (waaaaaay down the road) I think they'll split USN CVs since there are so many of them. You would be best prepared in that situation by having all of them, but don't hold your breath.

[STW-D]
Members
1,853 posts
5,651 battles

Do it. You got all the way up to tier 9, and at least at this stage, I'm still hearing good things about the Midway. It couldn't hurt having another tier 10 ship as well as having an elite Essex.

I'm only onto Essex right now, and honestly the queue times vary greatly. Sometimes it's as short as 30 seconds; other times it can go into 5+ minutes. I personally exit queue after the 3 minute mark in order to avoid those 4-ship matches. Beware of cancer divisions, however: they can come in the most unsuspecting forms. A few days ago I encountered an AA-spec Fletcher in my Essex who was divisioned with a Taihou and a Montana. The Fletcher ended up shooting down 42 of my planes, compared to the Taihou's 27. It's hard competing when a good 2/3 of the battlefield is a no-go zone for planes.

Granted, WG is once again hitting Midway with a nerf. It honestly infuriates me how one slightly overperforming USN CV gets hit with several nerfs consecutively while tier 7-9 all get ignored despite the IJN stomping at those tiers.

Although, I suppose that's part of the satisfaction of playing USN CVs. I must admit, I take great pleasure in stomping supposedly superior IJN CVs in USN CVs. The greatest pleasure was back when Kaga was first released; my balanced loadout Ranger feasted on those tier 6 planes.

[BABC]
Members
52 posts
On 4/2/2018 at 7:16 PM, Avenge_December_7 said:

Granted, WG is once again hitting Midway with a nerf. It honestly infuriates me how one slightly overperforming USN CV gets hit with several nerfs consecutively while tier 7-9 all get ignored despite the IJN stomping at those tiers.

Slightly outperforming? How about overwhelmingly outperforming. Ignoring the NA server stats by virtue of there being more terrible CV players flocking to the USN line, if we look at the RU servers, for the past two weeks, Midway has consistently outdamaged the Hakuryu by a margin of 20-30k, and has a win rate of close to 57% versus 48%. Assuming competency is more evenly distributes between the two lines over there because of lack of national preference outside of gameplay reasons, of course they're going to nerf Midway given these numbers.

• Bad 3

[TF03]
Members
739 posts
2,690 battles
7 hours ago, yaluen said:
On 03/04/2018 at 12:16 PM, Avenge_December_7 said:

Slightly outperforming? How about overwhelmingly outperforming. Ignoring the NA server stats by virtue of there being more terrible CV players flocking to the USN line, if we look at the RU servers, for the past two weeks, Midway has consistently outdamaged the Hakuryu by a margin of 20-30k, and has a win rate of close to 57% versus 48%. Assuming competency is more evenly distributes between the two lines over there because of lack of national preference outside of gameplay reasons, of course they're going to nerf Midway given these numbers.

and yet like  Avenge_December_7  said US CV up to midway get screwed over, anyone thats played CV or even knows about it knows thats the case but WG wont change it. but first CV US get that outperforms the IJN gets nerfed to hell to try and make it fair, there even getting rid off clear sky because people that play hakuryu bitched that they couldn't get it vs a midway but dont worry about the rest off the tiers and the new achievement there swapping it with got to keep the hakuryu players happy and pretty much make it any lower tiers wont be able to get it.

Thats the problem there quick to jump on the midway and nerf it but wont touch the rest, how about giving lex another fighter squad to make fair and balance it and im sure if you checked the stats you will find what we are saying to be right the IJN outperforms the US line from 6 till you get the midway 

[TF03]
Members
739 posts
2,690 battles
On 03/04/2018 at 8:36 AM, GetRekt_X9 said:

So I'm pretty close to upgrading to the Midway, although I'm having concerns on whether or not its worth it. With the T8 Torpedo bombers I think it could be problematic seeing more T10 ships then I do already. Other opinions?

to answer you question i would still get it, theres so many unanswered questions about the nerf that we are not getting answers to like the plane tier lvls, i think it was flamu it was one off the well known CV players on one off there youtube videos even said that was a concern for them, the hanger size was to make up for the lower tier planes now there planning to drop it to 96 will they change the lvl off tier around for the plane most off all the T8 TB to balance the nerf.

least having it from what ive heard it should still go ok, it will just be the TB that might be a problem, plus when the re work happens you all ready have the midway ready to go

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,581 posts
14,010 battles

Midway.

Tier IX fighters at best.

Tier VIII torp bombers at best.

Tier X dive bombers.  For now.

Losing a large chunk of hangar capacity soon.

Meanwhile Hakuryu has full Tier X plane assortment and Midway goes down to her hangar capacity.  Hell, Tier IX Essex will soon have just as much airplanes as Tier X Midway.

You sure you want Midway?

[TF03]
Members
739 posts
2,690 battles
25 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Tier IX fighters at best.

Tier VIII torp bombers at best.

Tier X dive bombers.  For now.

Losing a large chunk of hangar capacity soon.

Meanwhile Hakuryu has full Tier X plane assortment and Midway goes down to her hangar capacity.  Hell, Tier IX Essex will soon have just as much airplanes as Tier X Midway.

You sure you want Midway?

i thought hakuryu had full tier X but wasnt sure without checking, thats the major question everyones asking at the moment and WG not giving any answers is with the nerf to the hanger are they going to change the tier off the planes back. they lowed the tiers of planes cause off the hanger size so you would think taking 40 planes away they would up the tiers again but this is WG, you could get away with the tier 9 fighters being that you have more planes to a squad and more ammo but the tier 8 TB need to be out back up to 10.

if they dont change the tiers off  the planes the midway has pretty much become a tier 9 CV. but i would still get it so when the rework happens you have it and ready to go 

[STW-D]
Members
1,853 posts
5,651 battles
12 hours ago, yaluen said:

If you really wish to play the server game...

EU:

5acbddef3e4e6_ScreenShot2018-04-09at2_39_29PM.thumb.jpg.b2e66fd53c9e9d1501339c1526b80c13.jpg

SEA: 

5acbde0e48fb0_ScreenShot2018-04-09at2_40_26PM.thumb.jpg.a701ecac4354e2998a9cf9a623a79a66.jpg

Edited by Avenge_December_7

[TF03]
Members
739 posts
2,690 battles
2 hours ago, Avenge_December_7 said:

If you really wish to play the server game...

from what i've heard, read and been told they based the nerf on the RU server and stats alone and none off the other servers, looking at the EU and SEA the stats there show no reason to nerf the midway hanger but this is WG. question is if they dont change the tier off the planes on the midway to balance the nerf and keep them as they are and hakuryu WR go's up and midway falls and the hakuryu starts to outdamage the midway to the point as the reason for this nerf i.e 10%+ difference in WR and 30k in dmg what will WG do then to try and fix it.

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,581 posts
14,010 battles
On 4/9/2018 at 11:47 AM, ausanimal said:

i thought hakuryu had full tier X but wasnt sure without checking, thats the major question everyones asking at the moment and WG not giving any answers is with the nerf to the hanger are they going to change the tier off the planes back. they lowed the tiers of planes cause off the hanger size so you would think taking 40 planes away they would up the tiers again but this is WG, you could get away with the tier 9 fighters being that you have more planes to a squad and more ammo but the tier 8 TB need to be out back up to 10.

if they dont change the tiers off  the planes the midway has pretty much become a tier 9 CV. but i would still get it so when the rework happens you have it and ready to go 

Hakuryu has full Tier X planes.  Not only will Midway be reduced to lower hangar capacity, she'll still have lower tier planes.

Members
1,604 posts
3,573 battles
On 4/9/2018 at 5:06 AM, yaluen said:

How about you go check out the OTHER THREE SERVERS before mouthing off?  And not taking the Wargaming method of balance route and just looking at one?  Oh,  thats right, the other three servers don't fit your narrative.  Got it.

Now on the OTHER THREE SERVERS,  there's a few percentage between the ships.  This up and coming nerf is just going to flip things back over to where they were before,  with the Hak being the clear winner and the Midway just getting stomped.  Again.

• Cool 1

[TF03]
Members
739 posts
2,690 battles
18 minutes ago, Palladia said:

How about you go check out the OTHER THREE SERVERS before mouthing off?  And not taking the Wargaming method of balance route and just looking at one?  Oh,  thats right, the other three servers don't fit your narrative.  Got it.

Now on the OTHER THREE SERVERS,  there's a few percentage between the ships.  This up and coming nerf is just going to flip things back over to where they were before,  with the Hak being the clear winner and the Midway just getting stomped.  Again.

yep spot on even i looked  at the stats when someone posted them on this post showing SEA and EU both those show the midway didn't need the nerf, maybe the RU server Hakuryu players just suck at playing that CV, didnt you know WG has a massive picture off Hakuryu with the words " i love  you Hakuryu" at the bottem.

i agree with what you say about this nerf to its hanger, unless they change the TB to a higher tier or give them better speed midway is about to get screwed into the ground big time,  yet if you say anything about nerfing Hakuryu nope all the IJN CV players and Hakuryu lovers come out and try and defend Hakuryu getting a nerf. By bringing up [edited] stats and number and leaving out the parts that proves how bad the midway is about to get screwed like someone did on another post showed the stats for dmg, hp, number off planes and total dmg but left out the speed off the tier 8 TB till i called them on it, they then claim US CV has better CV then IJN CV at tier 4 and 5 yer as if those lvl really count but they wont say anything about tiers 7, 8 and 9.

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,581 posts
14,010 battles

The hits to Midway just keep on coming.  Only this time, it's coming twice in one patch.

Hakuryu Strike Spec will now be better able to contest the skies against Midway.  A STRIKE SPEC CV WILL MORE EASILY DEAL WITH MIDWAY IN THE SKIES.

This comes on top of the hangar capacity of Midway still getting nerfed.

Members
400 posts
2,441 battles
On 4/2/2018 at 5:36 PM, GetRekt_X9 said:

doesn't matter the yare about to nerf the midway so.. yeah

[R-F1]
Beta Testers
1,844 posts
6,743 battles

essex has been my premier port queen for almost 3 years now.  midway would be nice to have, but im not enough of a masochist to want to finish the grind.  wg hates cvs, and particularly hates usn cvs... sucks, but screw that; when they intentionally make it as painful as possible to play the class why would anyone want to play it?  really pathetic part is that they acknowledge that the cv population is getting smaller and smaller every month and in a few months there won't be enough cv players to support mirror matchmaking above t5, and they're scratching their heads completely clueless as to why that is.

Edited by Shadeylark