You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ipara

Game penalties

37 comments in this topic

Members
19 posts
1,622 battles

First of all I'm sure this has been brought up once or twice, but I need to bring it up as I seem to almost always be pink in the game on a daily basis... Once in a blue moon my shells will hit a allied ship and sink it, but 99.9% of the time it's caused by my "own" team getting in the way of my torpedoes causing there ship to sink and with me becoming pink!

First of all your told about the torpedoes and if you chose to ignore the warnings then that's "your" fault, not mine. At least that's the way I feel about it. Granted most of us let loose a batch of torpedoes once we're within a fair range and we have a possibility of catching a enemy ship by surprise, but again the game warns you about torpedoes. I've seen bots/players charge into the path of torpedoes numerous times, and yes some of them will change course to avoid them, but other times they get themselves blown up instead.

I personally think if it happens to be a bot, that there should be no penalty what so ever for ANY damage, however caused,  to the player that caused it. Shells I can understand, but torpedoes have a mind of there own and do not care who they damage... Thoughts?

• Boring 1
  • Bad 9

[H-W-C]
Members
1,258 posts
3,306 battles

You can't trust your teammates to watch your torpedoes, what if they had to pick between your torpedoes and broadsiding an enemy battleship? If your torpedoes can hit an ally and it's not an absolute emergency, don't launch them. Simple.

• Cool 2

Members
1,232 posts
20,582 battles

This crap again?  Your torps your responsibility.  Like rule number 4 in handling firearms - you're responsible for the torp from the moment it's fired until it stops moving.  Deal with it or don't shoot torps.

• Cool 3

Members
19 posts
1,622 battles

Very true Warpath_33; however, as you know, DD's are nothing more then torpedo boats with a a couple of guns attached. Your main weapon is your torpedoes and none of us launch them with allies around, at least I don't, but the problems come AFTER there launched. If we were to wait until we were real close before we ever launched them then most of the time we would be blown out of the water before firing a single torpedo...

• Bad 2

Members
19 posts
1,622 battles

Sorry I don't quite get it either... I know!!! Don't ever use torpedoes... Problem solved!!!

[TSG4B]
[TSG4B]
Members
1,710 posts
9,402 battles

wash your pink status in Co-Op, easy fix.

while doing so, may I suggest you check this competition out and enter, you may win some really nice price as @AdmiralThunder suggested.

This also go for everyone else who would like to enter the competition, pretty nice price

Edited by ObiwankzKenobi

[H-W-C]
Members
1,258 posts
3,306 battles
2 minutes ago, Ipara said:

Very true Warpath_33; however, as you know, DD's are nothing more then torpedo boats with a a couple of guns attached. Your main weapon is your torpedoes and none of us launch them with allies around, at least I don't, but the problems come AFTER there launched. If we were to wait until we were real close before we ever launched them then most of the time we would be blown out of the water before firing a single torpedo...

You don't have to rush to point blank before launching, you only have to be closer than the guys you might hit.

AABEDbg.png

Just take a peek around you and glance at the minimap before you launch.

[BIAS]
Members
3,004 posts
8,978 battles
7 minutes ago, Ipara said:

DD's need to play in front of the cruisers and Battleships, so most of the time there shouldn't be a friendly ship between you and the enemy. If there is, DON'T LAUNCH them until it is safe to do so. You decided you want to be melodramatic and say that the only way you can avoid being pink is to not use torpedoes. Sorry, not buying it. There are thousands of players who play dd's day in and day out and don't kill friendlies while still performing at a high level.

It might be safe when you launch them, but what if that ship all of a sudden has to dodge enemy torpedoes and the only option he has (because of your poor decision to launch behind him) is eating enemy otrps or friendly torps???

Once again: DO NOT LAUNCH TORPS FROM BEHIND FRIENDLIES. If you continue to do so, don't come crying on the forums about how its unfair.

• Cool 1

Members
19 posts
1,622 battles

True, except it's usually the other DD's that's the issue... Especially when there's four or five of you in one area... And yes you ALL know what I mean... I'm NOT talking about firing through your own ships... By the way I've been blown out of the water from friendly torpedoes, and NO I didn't swing in front of the torpedoes, nor am I complaining per say... I honestly think that I sank bot ships most of the time. Bots seem to ignore torpedoes, just my thought... 

Beta Testers
405 posts
4,755 battles
14 minutes ago, Ipara said:

Sorry I don't quite get it either... I know!!! Don't ever use torpedoes... Problem solved!!!

Right.  Two things here.  One, being passive-aggressive to people that are actually trying to help you is actually counter productive should you actually wish to improve your play.  And two, what the hell is up with the font?  I had to put on my other glasses.

[H-W-C]
Members
1,258 posts
3,306 battles
7 minutes ago, Ipara said:

True, except it's usually the other DD's that's the issue... Especially when there's four or five of you in one area... And yes you ALL know what I mean... I'm NOT talking about firing through your own ships... By the way I've been blown out of the water from friendly torpedoes, and NO I didn't swing in front of the torpedoes, nor am I complaining per say... I honestly think that I sank bot ships most of the time. Bots seem to ignore torpedoes, just my thought... 

Bots completely ignore torpedoes unless you launch them while targeting them, then they move  just enough to dodge them. To easily tell a bot from a regular player, a bot has colons around its name, like :Jellicoe: or :Scheer:

You trust bots even less than your own teammates when launching torpedoes.

Edited by warpath_33

[BIAS]
Members
3,004 posts
8,978 battles
8 minutes ago, Ipara said:

No dd can outrun another dd's torps in its tier spread that I am aware of. So you have to be launching from behind your friendly dd's where they are liable to get hit by them, if you keep hitting them.

Beta Testers
405 posts
4,755 battles
2 minutes ago, Ipara said:

I know exactly what you mean, playing a DD can be very frustrating.  However, at the end of the day, you and you alone are responsible for every shot, every torpedo, and every turn your ship makes.  Sadly it is because of player abuse that we have the penalty system as it exists now.  Back in Beta, there were seemingly endless numbers of players who would queue up for matches just to torpedo or gun down teammates.  WG finally listened to the constant complaining and added the automated penalty system, it's not the best solution, but it's far better than the alterative.

[5D]
Members
2,208 posts
13,930 battles

Wow, OP is a real gem...not sure if short bus is more applicable than snowflake here.

If you can't fire your torps without hitting teammates that's on you. Expecting others to react to an indicator while they may be engaged in battle is selfish and immature.

I have a feeling he'll be banned soon enough since this apparently occurs frequently.

[WOLF6]
Members
1,774 posts
4,798 battles

OP, only person that can prevent team damage is the one that pulls the trigger. If there’s a ship down range that can theoretically get in front of your ordnance, then you don’t shoot. If you do, then you get the consequences. 

We’ve heard this story dozens of times. Your take is neither new or unique. You shoot and hit a friendly, it is all on you. 

[CB-77]
Members
167 posts
1,387 battles

There's lots of cowardly DD Commanders hiding behind their teams advancing cruiser line while letting loose their torps with no situational awareness whatsoever. Ya it's not all you pinkies, but I've been seeing it happen more and more.

Members
17,726 posts
5,084 battles
23 minutes ago, Thornir said:

If there’s a ship down range that can theoretically get in front of your ordnance, then you don’t shoot. If you do, then you get the consequences. 

Agree 100%. Never say never, there will be times when risky torps can pay off big. However, if it goes south on you, man up and take your pinkness.

• Cool 1

Members
17,726 posts
5,084 battles
6 minutes ago, Praxz said:

There's lots of cowardly DD Commanders hiding behind their teams advancing cruiser line while letting loose their torps with no situational awareness whatsoever. Ya it's not all you pinkies, but I've been seeing it happen more and more.

Best is when friendlies are the only ships within torp range lol.

• Cool 1

Members
30 posts
9,407 battles

The thing about torping with a friendly around, is you have to be aware not just of what they're doing at at the time, but what options they have and what decisions they're going to have to make about the time your torps get there.  It might look like to you like they turned around just to get in front of your torps, but if they had to make that decision to avoid dying, then that's not on them.  Also it seems like when I have to dodge friendly torps it's more often from a (IJN) cruiser than a DD. 

Edited by RedshirtedEnsign

[WOLF6]
Members
1,774 posts
4,798 battles
1 minute ago, RedshirtedEnsign said:

When I have to dodge white torps it's more often from a (IJN) cruiser more than a DD.  The thing about torping with a friendly around, is you have to be aware not just of what they're doing at at the time, but what options they have and what decisions they're going to have to make about the time your torps come around.  It might look like to you like they turned around just to get in front of your torps, but if they had to make that decision to avoid dying, then that's not on them.

It’s never on them, mate. 

[WOLF6]
Members
1,774 posts
4,798 battles
1 hour ago, Skpstr said:

Best is when friendlies are the only ships within torp range lol.

Yep and then you say, “wth are you shooting at?!” 

...crickets...rustling leaves...

[SSBN]
Members
412 posts
11,356 battles

Yikes! I hope I never have the OP on one of my teams.

I have played thousands of battles in destroyers and never turned pink. It is frustrating to pass up a good torpedo shot because a friendly might get hit, but it's the right thing to do. If you fire anyway, it's your fault--100 percent--if they get hit.

Here's another thought for the OP: If a teammate fires from behind me, I have to stop what I'm doing and see where the torpedoes are coming from. If I have to maneuver, I lose even more valuable time. Other times, things might be too critical for me to look, and I have to hope my teammate knows what they were doing and I'm not going to get hit. Also, your torpedoes might force a teammate to turn or drop speed which ends up getting him killed even though your torpedoes didn't directly kill him.

It's very selfish to take the dangerous torpedo shot. Furthermore, don't insult our intelligence by claiming your pinkness isn't your fault.

• Cool 1

Members
19 posts
1,622 battles

First of all I never said that it wasn't my fault and I truly do understand about how things can go south in a heart beat when your playing dueling torpedoes with the other guy. Like some of you I've been blown out of the water from another players torpedoes, and no I did not turn into them. Once I was killed near the start from a cruiser behind me firing at way to long a range to make any difference, since torpedoes have limited range. There's a obvious issue as I see pink warships in nearly every battle I play. Sometimes there's more then one within the group...  My biggest issue, hence this post, is getting dinged for hitting a bot played ship. As has been mentioned in this post, bots will not change course unless your targeting them, and since they happen to be on your team they operate on there own schedule. I have died many times waiting so I could fire my torpedoes only to die instead.