Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ipara

Those Wonderful Bots...

18 comments in this topic

Members
19 posts
1,654 battles

I was in a naval battle last night where the only "players" left on both sides were bots, and what did they do??? Well our side had a cruiser and two destroyers and they had two destroyers left and for eight minutes camped in a zone, ours in B, theres in C... And all they did for the eight minutes, until the battle ended, was to rock back and forth within there circles, not bothering to engage each other. My side lost because they won on points; however the points were real close and it just so happened when the game ended they were up...

Come on programmers!!! Make it so the bots "fight" instead of camp, as this battle totally sucked ...  

Anyone else have this kind of fun battle???

Members
19 posts
1,654 battles

Your right WaveRider; however I was intrigued when I noticed that NONE of the rest of my side wasn't moving to attack the other enemy ships, especially since we had more ships then the other side...

[H-W-C]
Members
1,259 posts
3,306 battles

I guess the programmers for the AI didn't expect them to survive until the end of the battle and thus just let them flip an off switch near the end of the game or something.

• Cool 1

[VIP-2]
Members
804 posts
2,827 battles

Best is what happens if you are the only real player observing, if you exit, the game ends instantly.

• Cool 1

[WOLF9]
Members
3,169 posts

I actually had green bots WIN a game for us by fighting!   6 bots and 2 humans- one of whom quit as soon as the game started.   After pounding the hell out of the reds for many minutes with my Baltimore,  the red Torpitz nailed me with a lucky salvo at long range while I was kiting him.   I thought we were toast then, but our remaining bots- 2 DD's and a cruiser- ended up wiping out the remaining bots for a win!

I was impressed- the green bots CAN play well!  They just don't most of the time...

[WOLF8]
[WOLF8]
Members
2,254 posts
3,130 battles

AFAIK, bots camping and missing each other doesn't happen too often. Most of the time, they will meet somewhere and rock-em-sock-em each other, until one side wins... usually reds, because green bots are ted less competent.

Members
19 posts
1,654 battles

You've got to love how they like to join together at close range and spit on each other... Most of the time the bots play stupid and do things that leave you scratching your head... FACT!!!

[STW-M]
[STW-M]
Members
99 posts
5,532 battles

It is equally unfun when all that is left are two bot CVs.....yeah that is clearly some high drama there.

• Cool 1

[WOLFB]
Beta Testers
1,446 posts
6,498 battles
11 hours ago, Ipara said:

I was in a naval battle last night where the only "players" left on both sides were bots, and what did they do??? Well our side had a cruiser and two destroyers and they had two destroyers left and for eight minutes camped in a zone, ours in B, theres in C... And all they did for the eight minutes, until the battle ended, was to rock back and forth within there circles, not bothering to engage each other. My side lost because they won on points; however the points were real close and it just so happened when the game ended they were up...

Come on programmers!!! Make it so the bots "fight" instead of camp, as this battle totally sucked ...  

LOL.. Lesson here is  :Smile_teethhappy: Bots think winning is much more fun as well !

Members
19 posts
1,654 battles

I guess all they need is a floating camp fire and start making smores...

[WOLFB]
Beta Testers
1,446 posts
6,498 battles
6 minutes ago, Ipara said:

I guess all they need is a floating camp fire and start making smores...

Imitation off the human kind :Smile_teethhappy:

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,497 posts
10,223 battles
7 hours ago, Fletcher7_1944 said:

I actually had green bots WIN a game for us by fighting!   6 bots and 2 humans- one of whom quit as soon as the game started.   After pounding the hell out of the reds for many minutes with my Baltimore,  the red Torpitz nailed me with a lucky salvo at long range while I was kiting him.   I thought we were toast then, but our remaining bots- 2 DD's and a cruiser- ended up wiping out the remaining bots for a win!

I was impressed- the green bots CAN play well!  They just don't most of the time...

Yeah I have had a couple times where the bots pulled it out. Usually a CV does it but have had other types too. I have even purposely rammed to take out the last close threat to our bot CV, when we were down and I was such low health I knew I couldn't stay alive long enough to pull it out so it had a chance. Slap me stupid if it didn't work! LOL

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,497 posts
10,223 battles
12 hours ago, Ipara said:

When I 1st started play the game the bots would never stay in a cap/base when they should. Sure they would go for them and take them during the early portion of the game but if a game was on the line and all they had to do was sit in a cap/base for the win you could easily draw them out by just shooting at them so you became detected. They would then charge out at you. I used that trick to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat many times LOL.

Now it seems like bots will stay in and defend a cap like it is their kid and won't come out even if they should. Sort of swung the other way now. BB's seem to be the worst offenders for this. They will go for a cap and if they take it they seem to stay in it for most of the game even if they are needed elsewhere. Not always but I would say 50-60% of the time or so.

WG is slowly working on improving the AI but it has to be a Herculean task to try and think of and code for every possibility. I think eventually they will get it figured out and will get a good compromise between the bots staying in a cap/base when they should and leaving it when they should. And while bots still do "bot things" they are leaps and bounds better then they were when I started playing. 

Edited by AdmiralThunder

[WOLF5]
Beta Testers
207 posts
2,337 battles
4 hours ago, Taramada said:

It is equally unfun when all that is left are two bot CVs.....yeah that is clearly some high drama there.

That's asking for a Draw

[WOLF2]
Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles

It sounds like the bots are getting pretty good at mimicing player behavior.

• Funny 1

[STW-M]
[STW-M]
Members
99 posts
5,532 battles
20 hours ago, AzureTerra said:

That's asking for a Draw

I make them fight it out, when they become our masters they will make us do the same in an arana.....might as well torture them now!!

Sign in to follow this