Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
CFagan1987

Did they make Defense of Naval Station Newport harder?

8 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
277 posts
6,619 battles

I remember when this operation first came out it was pretty darn hard and then they toned it down somewhat and since then it's been relatively easy to win with at least 3 stars and even 5 star wins weren't that uncommon. However this past week it's been very tough to even win with zero stars much less 3 stars. What happened? I didn't see anything in the patch notes about upping the difficulty.

I've also noticed a sharp increase in players bringing destroyers into Operations (a huge no-no), and players that seemingly have no idea what to do (ie: they charge out to where the surveillance stations are and predictably they get their rear ends handed to them in short order).

Some suggestions for Wargaming regarding Defense of Naval Station Newport:

1) Limit the number of destroyers to 1 per team. Operation bots are super bots and easily dodge torpedoes fired from even 3km away unlike human players which makes destroyers a big liability since their main weapon is useless. Furthermore we only get 7 ships, cruisers and battleships are far more useful. I would suggest this cap for all Operations except maybe Killer Whale and Aegis.

2) Maybe swap out some of the attacking destroyers for more cruisers or even battleships. The 3rd wave in particular is very destroyer heavy and if you've taken losses it's hard to cover them all.

[MBR]
Members
221 posts
5,584 battles

Yes, they made it easy (many updates ago) but nothing changed on the last updates. You were just unlucky to encouter those players. Also, my last Newport battle; me (Farragut) and a Shinonome, we were the top players and we won 4 stars.

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,088 posts
18,615 battles

Too many player that have no clue how to play the mission and didn't focus fire. It also didn't help if they try to snipe with their BB from the position of the repair ship even they didn't have a scratch. While it was the last time rare to not earn 5 stars this week you must call yourself lucky if you get away with 3.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,322 posts
9,387 battles

I figured 3 of my team-mates could handle one Konig (BB, and 2 CA) while I gunned down the CV. 

Got the CV, but I guess they gave up.

TWO STARS.

[NWNG]
[NWNG]
Members
1,884 posts
3,260 battles

New players who don't know how to focus fire, as an earlier poster said.

Many of them easily become CV blind, despite the CV no longer being a threat, except for potentially entering defensive zone. Or hunting the Hiryu when another ship is more of a threat to the failure of the mission... <---had that last statement happen once, I and one other player started rooting for the shore batteries, knowing they weren't going to win. But man did that shore battery take down two ships before its demise against a BB. I call for a moment of silence, to honor the fallen Battery 2

Ships hanging out at repair ships when they don't have to be.

Ships who shouldn't stray from the defensive line, straying too far from the defensive line.

Destroyers who are allowed to move away from defensive line for scouting, straying way too far from it, making defending them impossible.

"YOLO!!! LOL!"! <---these players irritate me the most. They knew they didn't have a chance and they go and do it anyway, screwing over the rest of the team

"Oh they're just bots, they're easy to deal with on Co-Op" <---similar to YOLO, but they truly believe they stood a chance in a 4v1 fight... getting gunned down in the first wave.

The difficulty of the operation didn't change... the difficulty of the players did.

Beta Testers
405 posts
4,755 battles

Had a match where  one player took it upon himself to call out targets, five star victory with only one ship lost.  Every other attempt?  10 losses, 12 victories with various stars from one to three and no one calling out targets.  I wish there was some sort of pattern to help me and other players struggling win more often.....

Hell with it, I don't have any weed, but Captain Morgan is gonna sail with me from now on!

[_JSS_]
Members
5 posts
1,197 battles

I think the comment that was most interesting here was more recent when you have someone call out targets.  That is always helpful.      Or retreat or whatever.    Is there some helpful guide for the chat?  I had looked at the instructions a couple of time but could never get the hang of it.  Thanks

Sign in to follow this