You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Estimated_Prophet

One small step...

5 comments in this topic

[TF16B]
Members
8,063 posts
16,998 battles

Well, against my own expectations I managed to get a win in Hellcarrier on my first try, and to secure the ‘One Small Step...’ achievement.

My micro ability stinks. Controlling Indy’s 1-1-1 is enough trouble; Ryujo’s 1-2-2 pushing the ragged edge; Hak/Hellcarrier’s 2-3-3 is right out.

Think the only thing that saved me was a good team, the Meteor Storm limiting the Reds options, and my knowing how to deal with an AS carrier, (4-2-2,) that apparently didn’t know how to strafe.

My bomber attacks were autodropped and ragged at best, but I still managed moderate damage, (about 65k, I think,) and 2 sunk, mostly okay scouting, and a few ‘strafe/out - strafe-ins’ that also helped deal with the AS fighter group.

Just reinforces that I have no place in high tier carrier play; someone just a bit more competent, and who knew how to strafe would have wiped the floor with me.

As a partially related aside/observation; I really think AS is a bad choice for weak carrier drivers. What I saw in the game seemed to reinforce what I saw back during the old Bogue AS days; a smart strike CV driver who pushes for damage and avoids the AS fighters as much as possible, combined with even a mildly aggressive team, will outdamage and win against an AS driver because their CV is doing damage, while the AS CV is just shooting down planes.

I pushed up towards A on the straight-line caps version of the map, thanks to my team also pushing, so I was able to cycle a bit faster. I also chased and shot down Red bombers; but I’m not sure if they actually even attacked the Greens much.

Sigh; I like to play ships in five-game blocks,  and will probably play at least 4 more with Hellcarrier, but I feel like I may have used up all my faux T7 carrier luck with that one game...

Edited by Estimated_Prophet
typos
  • Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,109 posts
18,631 battles

Gratz! Couldn't get myself into playing a CV even in space battles. Not good at them even carriers are the ships that get me into naval history,

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,037 posts
12,522 battles

Hakuryu isn't my thing on the water, turned out it wasn't my thing in space either.  :fish_sleep:

Minor thing that might help, take the stock flight control (2-3-2). It's a legit choice because the DBs kinda suck, and the 2-3-2 flight control changes the balance of your reserves so you have more fighters and torpedo bombers. You also have one less squadron to control, which can be a big deal if your micro is being overwhelmed.

[TF16B]
Members
8,063 posts
16,998 battles
45 minutes ago, Edgecase said:

Hakuryu isn't my thing on the water, turned out it wasn't my thing in space either.  :fish_sleep:

Minor thing that might help, take the stock flight control (2-3-2). It's a legit choice because the DBs kinda suck, and the 2-3-2 flight control changes the balance of your reserves so you have more fighters and torpedo bombers. You also have one less squadron to control, which can be a big deal if your micro is being overwhelmed.

Yeah, I switch over originally after getting swamped once in a Alldestroyer by the 3 + 3, but it might be a good idea to switch back...

[TF16B]
Members
8,063 posts
16,998 battles
3 hours ago, Edgecase said:

Minor thing that might help, take the stock flight control (2-3-2).

Might also help if I asigned skills...

Basically fought that battle with a zero point captain...