You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
WES_HoundDog

Please explain stigma

19 comments in this topic

[WOLF2]
Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles

Little white mouse tends to explain sigma best.

[AWP]
Members
780 posts
2,950 battles

Assuming you mean sigma...

Imagine a dartboard, the size of the dartboard is the dispersion while the likeliness the darts hit near the middle is sigma. It is back to the whole accuracy and precision. 

[HINON]
Supertester
18,903 posts
12,441 battles

Sigma affects the shell dispersion within the dispersion ellipse. The higher the sigma the more the shells tend to land towards the center of your dispersion. Sigma is often assigned mythical importance, but truth be told .1 sigma difference is barely noticeable.

[ARGSY]
Members
5,722 posts
3,912 battles
7 minutes ago, Lert said:

The higher the sigma the more the shells tend to land towards the center of your dispersion.

Ballistic missile engineers call it the CEP, Circular Error Probable, the zone within which 50% of the missiles fired at a target will land. For ICBMs it is circular because the warheads can correct for velocity and it can be described in terms of diameter (because diameter is an explicit function of circle area); for shells, the unavoidable natural variation in velocity means there is always elongation in the direction of the shell flight, so it's an ellipse rather than a circle. The fact that velocity variation and side to side irregularities can cause the ellipse to have all sorts of shapes for a given area makes things a little more complicated, but it can still be described and treated mathematically.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,034 posts
12,515 battles

Picture a dartboard. That's where you aim, but your shots will land all over it.

Now picture a (pretty big) magnet behind the center of the dartboard. Your shots will still land all over, but they'll tend to be pulled toward the middle. It won't stop you from occasionally throwing a really crappy one that sticks in the wall, but they'll generally clump up better.

Sigma is how strong the magnet is. High sigma values (2.0+) pull really strongly toward the middle, while low values (1.7 and below) only create a slight clumping effect.

• Cool 1

360 posts
194 battles

Thank you everyone for the information about Sigma values, the dartboard analogy is really good. I should repost this to my Stigmagram, :Smile-_tongue:

• Funny 1

Members
426 posts
8,345 battles

Thanks guys.   I started to catch on by about 3 posts in.   I just looked at little white mouses post about the missouri accruacy and and made the connection.   I always just thought shells were random inside the dispersion circle.   Little naive i guess considering very often at least one shell lands where i shoot them.

On the flip side this just adds support to my

Rigged games 2018 conspiracy

[ARGSY]
Members
1,267 posts
8,675 battles
12 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Ballistic missile engineers call it the CEP, Circular Error Probable, the zone within which 50% of the missiles fired at a target will land. For ICBMs it is circular because the warheads can correct for velocity and it can be described in terms of diameter (because diameter is an explicit function of circle area); for shells, the unavoidable natural variation in velocity means there is always elongation in the direction of the shell flight, so it's an ellipse rather than a circle. The fact that velocity variation and side to side irregularities can cause the ellipse to have all sorts of shapes for a given area makes things a little more complicated, but it can still be described and treated mathematically.

If I'd have known you were this smart, I would have never invited you to the clan!

[ARGSY]
Members
1,267 posts
8,675 battles

A topical question, BTW, as STIGMA is the singular form of 'stigmata', which is a word used to describe the wounds of Jesus at his crucifixion when exhibited by the faithful. I believe it is from an old Greek word for 'tattoo'. St. Paul (Saul of Tarsus) was the first to record such marks upon his body in either Gallatians or Corinithians 1 (it's been a while since I read either...).

Just Googled it: it's in Gallatians. 

Happy Easter!

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
5,722 posts
3,912 battles
3 hours ago, legozer said:

If I'd have known you were this smart, I would have never invited you to the clan!

Argosy - the few, the brave, the brainless!!! :Smile_teethhappy:

Naah, doesn't work - we need a few neurons here and there for variety's sake.

Alpha Tester
3,476 posts
1,521 battles

Accuracy is pretty complicated but the reality is high sigma is always desired because no matter what dispersion circle you dealing with, as long as the shells tend to land near your aim point, your going to end up with good hits on the target.  This is way people tend to consider sigma the most important stat when determining accuracy.  I  mean lets face facts here, you could have a 400m dispersion circle but if you sigma was something crazy like 3.0 or higher, most shells would tend to fall very near your aim point each and every time you fire.  Sure you would have some shells take off for outer space but most would tend toward the center and actually hit the target.  

However, like Lert said, 0.1 difference in sigma doesn't make alot of difference UNLESS you have other factors like a larger dispersion circle and/or higher velocity shells  to contend with in the first place.  For example,  on a BB combine a low sigma with a 300m dispersion circle and high velocity shells and you have a shot gun each and every shot.  In those situation every 0.1 increase in Sigma makes a huge difference.  

[OPEC]
Members
925 posts
5,108 battles

Stigma is the shame and disgrace you feel when you repeatedly miss shots due to the poor sigma of your guns.  :Smile_sad:

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
3,769 posts
12,872 battles
1 hour ago, delp5117 said:

Stigma is the shame and disgrace you feel when you repeatedly miss shots due to the poor sigma of your guns.  :Smile_sad:

Or, in short, "Sigma Stigma".

• Cool 1