You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
AlaskanPredator

Team play and penaltiies

15 comments in this topic

Members
19 posts
12,433 battles

I love this game. I spend too much time and too much money but hey, everyone has vices right? I'm wondering how many others out there are frustrated by the prevalent game play of so many. I understand working on my stats, however, an overriding concept to this game is "team play". Any actual authentic  naval battle requires ships of a fleet to support each other, that said, I have witnessed so many players today that sit far back to where their support is ineffective to say the least. They usually end up being the last to die due solely to not being in range to be hit until they have nowhere to run/hide. Meanwhile, they sit back trying to get the lucky shots to claim kills others fought for up close and died attempting for their stats and team. I thought WOWS was addressing this though not sure how due to my lack of computer skills and knowledge (I'm OLD guys! LOLl). Many players are extremely dissatisfied--as am I-- with these players and "actions" which occur stemming from player frustrations. Just the other day my friend and I were in T8's and found ourselves in a T10 match, one person decided he was going to tell my friend that he needed to get forward and my friend replied he was using his T8  NC's gun range to start due to how easily we kill NC's when we're in our T10's. The discussion escalated to where this Ibuki left C cap to launch torps against my friend. My friend stopped flooding by repair and fired upon this Ibuki who survived the game while my friend did not. Instantly my friend received a 33 game penalty with no action against the aggressor/initiator . This happen once before that I recall when it was a Russian player that did the same type of thing against my same friend and the same thing happened with my friend getting a 7 game penalty. So what is wrong with the system to allow this punishment of "aggressor vs retaliator"  to happen? The Ibuki player--a level 1 player by the way-- said in a post game discussion we had, that he was frustrated with people sitting in the back and AFK's. I understood completely the players in the backfield and the AFK players, however my friend is not normally in the backfield except when sorely outgunned by the MM game set up. I'm wondering how many others out there are as frustrated with the current type of players in the game and the disproportionate and unbalanced penalty distribution.

Edited by AlaskanPredator
typo

[HINON]
Members
8,842 posts

It's never okay to intentionally fire on an ally. Your friend got baited into firing back and became pink. It's not a big deal right now anyway since pink doesnt do anything.

[-WC-]
Members
17 posts
13,213 battles

I find it odd that a non-death-dealing retaliation resulted in 33 pink games.  That just seems excessive.  Yeah, he retaliated, so he earned a penalty.  And the original guy should have gotten penalized as well.  But he did not.  (I thought the result for a first-time tk was 7 games of pink...)

[H-W-C]
Members
1,259 posts
3,306 battles
4 minutes ago, Wabbit_Season1 said:

I find it odd that a non-death-dealing retaliation resulted in 33 pink games.  That just seems excessive.  Yeah, he retaliated, so he earned a penalty.  And the original guy should have gotten penalized as well.  But he did not.  (I thought the result for a first-time tk was 7 games of pink...)

If you're getting 33 pink games you're probably doing team damage a lot.

• Cool 1

[WOLF5]
Members
439 posts
18,289 battles

For your friend to get a 33 game pink, this would indicate that he has team killed multiple times (at least 4) in either a short period or doesn't play a bunch of games, so timewise it may be long, but a small number of games AND does alot of team damage. You can turn pink without killing the other player if you take a majority of their health. If your friend was already pink then any substantial damage (more than a short ram) would be reflected back on him and he would be deleted instantly and assessed a penalty.

It's never OK to retaliate. What your friend could have done is to let the flood tick, then when the other player turned pink then repair and heal since flood damage can be fully recovered. If he really wanted to get the other player out, then he could have waited for them to turn pink, then allow more damage to take place and that would have been reflected damage and would have sunk the other player. If he did it right, he could have farmed a unsinkable and dreadnought achievement from it. 

[TSPC]
Beta Testers
1,104 posts
10,099 battles

something about "turn the other cheek"

Do not retaliate against own team.  No matter how stupid they are.

Members
588 posts

Funny, Just had a Pink Player who really cannot play or at least doesn't play per. Flamu, Notser etc shoot my DD!   All because of it being too far forward...amusing as the map used and the low tier of 6 it is exactly what the very few DD's have to do.  

The Chat is going nuts with  GET BACK from the pink clown.   I never even thought to shoot his boat.  Now it did mess up my game as I was trying to get forward fast and behind a certain Island.

But hey it was RANDUMB battle!    So I reported him seven times !  No clue what that will do and I really don't care.   I am very surprised we do not see more of this.    Players who get so wrapped up in anything RANDUMB really need to take a brake or a BREAK!!!   I can understand getting furious during Clan or Ranked....But RANDUMB?

I blocked my stats because of the cold hard reality that for most casual players if you play only one ship your stats can go up a lot.   When I was only playing one Tier 7 cruiser I had 67% win rates and all sorts of joyous crap.  When I started playing a ton of ships stats fell even on that one Cruiser that had a 67% win rate.

So Stats...who really cares...Have fun and get laughs at Randumb crap that happens.  My belief is that BB players are too wrapped up in Stats.   DD mains have so many other problems to worry about that Stats are nice but they sure do not cause us to hide behind Islands waaaaay in the back.   With so few DD mains in the game we be very valuable:)

My understanding is more than 7 games pink there is previous problems....rather serious problems.   I am a DD main and in the last four months have only Team Damaged never Team Killed....Only one torping of a Team Mate......three torps at about 8 miles.   It was bad but did not sink. I have not been pink in almost two years!     Other than that a few 5" shells here and there.   So I really have little sympathy. 

• Angry 1

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
3,840 posts
4,224 battles
1 hour ago, AlaskanPredator said:

LOLl

yRixaJowMwbPY8Kkqv-4TN4gQeHYolI-09trUIeA

Edited by Carrier_Lexington
  • Funny 1

Members
19 posts
12,433 battles

Again, thanks for all the feedback! I know how mad I am at myself when either errant shots by me or inattention by teammates results in a team damage/kill.

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,298 battles
4 hours ago, AlaskanPredator said:

I love this game. I spend too much time and too much money but hey, everyone has vices right? I'm wondering how many others out there are frustrated by the prevalent game play of so many. I understand working on my stats, however, an overriding concept to this game is "team play". Any actual authentic  naval battle requires ships of a fleet to support each other, that said, I have witnessed so many players today that sit far back to where their support is ineffective to say the least. They usually end up being the last to die due solely to not being in range to be hit until they have nowhere to run/hide. Meanwhile, they sit back trying to get the lucky shots to claim kills others fought for up close and died attempting for their stats and team. I thought WOWS was addressing this though not sure how due to my lack of computer skills and knowledge (I'm OLD guys! LOLl). Many players are extremely dissatisfied--as am I-- with these players and "actions" which occur stemming from player frustrations.

Just the other day my friend and I were in T8's and found ourselves in a T10 match, one person decided he was going to tell my friend that he needed to get forward and my friend replied he was using his T8  NC's gun range to start due to how easily we kill NC's when we're in our T10's.

The discussion escalated to where this Ibuki left C cap to launch torps against my friend. My friend stopped flooding by repair and fired upon this Ibuki who survived the game while my friend did not. Instantly my friend received a 33 game penalty with no action against the aggressor/initiator . This happen once before that I recall when it was a Russian player that did the same type of thing against my same friend and the same thing happened with my friend getting a 7 game penalty. So what is wrong with the system to allow this punishment of "aggressor vs retaliator"  to happen? The Ibuki player--a level 1 player by the way-- said in a post game discussion we had, that he was frustrated with people sitting in the back and AFK's. I understood completely the players in the backfield and the AFK players, however my friend is not normally in the backfield except when sorely outgunned by the MM game set up. I'm wondering how many others out there are as frustrated with the current type of players in the game and the disproportionate and unbalanced penalty distribution.

This was your friend's initial mistake, right there, on a couple of levels. 

First, staying way back for any length of time isn't a good idea.  However, there's nothing inherently wrong with opening a battle with a few volleys from extreme range if you have the shots. 

Secondly, the real mistake here was for your friend to have replied at all, and then to get in a raging argument over it.  All he ended up doing was apparently angering the Ibuki player so greatly that he lost self control and attack your friend.  That doesn't excuse the Ibuki player.  However, it doesn't excuse your friend from provoking him either.  Your friend should have stayed silent on this one.  

I've opened some battles on certain high tier maps with a few extreme range volleys, often using spotter planes.  However, once the spotter plane is expended, I'm usually closing in.  Heck, I'm usually closing the range while the spotter plane is up too.  

As for the Ibuki player's frustration with AFK's, I'd have probably ticked him off because I'd have told him to bleeping deal with it.  This game, however much we may love playing it, does NOT take precedence over real life.  You can lose power, lose internet.  You can have a family emergency (kids fighting or crying or whatever) or a door bell or phone ringing.  There are many, many reasons why people have to legitimately go afk.  And that doesn't even speak to the person's game only loading really, really slowly or crashing.  On top of all that, you can win battles even with an afk (though if it's an AFK carrier, you may be boned).  Last night, my  team won even though we had an afk and the enemy didn't.  When all's said and done, a good team will beat a bad team, even if the good team is short a player.  And a bad team will probably get smoked whether that afk player was in the battle or not (again, unless it's a carrier and then all bets are off).

• Cool 2

[O_S_D]
[O_S_D]
Members
98 posts
11,891 battles
5 hours ago, Toxic_Potato said:

But hey it was RANDUMB battle!    So I reported him seven times !  No clue what that will do and I really don't care.   

One only gets to use a single Report/Compliment on another player after a battle.  You wasted six Reports.  Also, another player must use a Report before the bad player's Karma is decremented by one.  Only person that can see Karma score is the player, no one else.  Therefore, Karma scores are useless for shaming bad players.

Pink AFKs should always be reported because it is a deliberate act.  Give other AFKs the benefit of the doubt -- Real Life, connection drop, or game crash may be the cause.

Members
588 posts

Thanks I had no idea. Never reported anyone before. I thought the intentional shooting of a very friendly DD warrented this extreme action. 

Sadly due to being shot from behind I had to do the Flamu evasive shuffle. Could not make the Island cover and had to fight in the open.   I feel considerable shame in not being able to carry my tier 6ish team to victory.

Rabid.....Random ...Game # 592,385,861 shall always haunt me. 

...as well as that clip above of Cluch_Cargo   ....I know be nice....he is special. 

Edited by Toxic_Potato

Members
19 posts
12,433 battles
On 4/2/2018 at 12:14 PM, Crucis said:

This was your friend's initial mistake, right there, on a couple of levels. 

First, staying way back for any length of time isn't a good idea.  However, there's nothing inherently wrong with opening a battle with a few volleys from extreme range if you have the shots. 

Secondly, the real mistake here was for your friend to have replied at all, and then to get in a raging argument over it.  All he ended up doing was apparently angering the Ibuki player so greatly that he lost self control and attack your friend.  That doesn't excuse the Ibuki player.  However, it doesn't excuse your friend from provoking him either.  Your friend should have stayed silent on this one.  

I've opened some battles on certain high tier maps with a few extreme range volleys, often using spotter planes.  However, once the spotter plane is expended, I'm usually closing in.  Heck, I'm usually closing the range while the spotter plane is up too.  

As for the Ibuki player's frustration with AFK's, I'd have probably ticked him off because I'd have told him to bleeping deal with it.  This game, however much we may love playing it, does NOT take precedence over real life.  You can lose power, lose internet.  You can have a family emergency (kids fighting or crying or whatever) or a door bell or phone ringing.  There are many, many reasons why people have to legitimately go afk.  And that doesn't even speak to the person's game only loading really, really slowly or crashing.  On top of all that, you can win battles even with an afk (though if it's an AFK carrier, you may be boned).  Last night, my  team won even though we had an afk and the enemy didn't.  When all's said and done, a good team will beat a bad team, even if the good team is short a player.  And a bad team will probably get smoked whether that afk player was in the battle or not (again, unless it's a carrier and then all bets are off).

I agree in part in that he was wrong to escalate the issue and I told him so. It is prevalent play these days with people sitting too far back and play solely for themselves which I disagree with. No fleet can be victorious w/o supporting fire in a fleet action and usually the "better" players know the range to be effective. It is a game and not real life as you say and I never get too excited about afk's beyond the detrimental effect upon the fleet. Thanks for your input!