USCG_Fan2016

To Free XP or not to Free XP: What to do with Orion/Iron Duke

9 comments in this topic

Members
72 posts
790 battles

Hi all,

I have the Orion now (love the BB line so far) and am steadily grinding along. I have a few thousand XP on it already and ~30k Free XP to play with.

My question is: If I want to make it to the QE with as few horrible undertiered games as possible, should I skip to the Iron Duke with Free XP, or save the XP so I can spend less time with the Iron Duke? Essentially, is Iron Duke worth grinding?

Thanks!

Happy hunting, Captains.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,488 posts
10,194 battles
8 minutes ago, USCG_Fan2016 said:

Hi all,

I have the Orion now (love the BB line so far) and am steadily grinding along. I have a few thousand XP on it already and ~30k Free XP to play with.

My question is: If I want to make it to the QE with as few horrible undertiered games as possible, should I skip to the Iron Duke with Free XP, or save the XP so I can spend less time with the Iron Duke? Essentially, is Iron Duke worth grinding?

Thanks!

Happy hunting, Captains.

NO!!! Save your Free XP to get through quicker or even bypass completely QE. Iron Duke is a decent BB for T5 but QE is a turd. If you have to grind one grind Iron Duke as it is a better BB and the grind is shorter from T5 to T6 than it is T6 to T7. KGV at T7 is great and a joy to play but then Monarch at T8 is another turd. Lion is ok at T9 although kind of meh but T10 Conqueror is pretty good.

[WOLF1]
Members
10 posts
4,123 battles

It depends on your over all goal. There are ships that can only be had with free experience i.e. British BB Nelson, US BB Missouri (when it was on the tech tree, and probably will return) and a Japanese BB Musashi. The Iron Duke AP rds are lacking, especially against angled armor. However the HE rds are great, with high percentage guarantee of fire. Typical slow BB with slow turret traverse. I generally don't skip boats in the higher tiers. I skip tiers 1-3 when needed, since they don't generate a lot of Free XP. When trying to decide on my next boat, I use http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/World_of_Warships and YouTube reviews of boats. Hope this helps you.

Members
626 posts
1,630 battles
1 hour ago, USCG_Fan2016 said:

Hi all,

Thanks!

Happy hunting, Captains.

Orion is as good as you're going to have it until T7(probably the most OP tech tree BB in the entire game at it's tier). Iron Duke is basically an uglier Orion at T5 that has to fight T7's. Stick with the Orion as long as you can. QE IMO and numbers wise is the sore spot on the line and the light at the end of the tunnel is the KGV at T7(which might be the second most OP tech tree BB in the entire game).  My advice is to grind to the QE in the Orion and if by then you have enough free XP to get KGV I'd skip QE all together. 

Here's a breakdown of the line by how much IMO one should be looking forward to things. I own all these ships except Conqueror and Monarch. 

1)UK line's main strength is the three OP monsters it has at T4, T7 and T10. These three basic configurations dominate the line with the Iron Duke, Monarch and Lion being very similar UP versions. 

2)Lion at T9 probably used to be in group 1 and is still something to look forward too but it's dominance has taken a hit with the introduction of Alsace and Musashi. 

3)Monarch and Iron Duke are both barely altered T8 and T5 versions of the super OP T7 and T4 ships in group 1. Orion and KGV are so OP that these ships are still competitive another tier up but there is very little improvement you are getting here and for what it's worth I think T8 and T5 are the two worst tiers in the game, so that honor doesn't mean all that much as the tiers are joint suffering exercises for the tech tree BB's because of the matchmaking. Iron Duke looks uglier and has nominal improvements and the Monarch's got 15 inch guns rather than the KGV's 14. 

4)QE is the only ship on the UK tech tree BB not winning in at least one statistical category. QE is also the only UK tech tree BB after T4 to not have the OP 40%+ fire chance HE and it's biggest asset is AP. QE also is pretty hard to maneuver and while Orion and Iron Duke's slow turrets are somewhat more manageable because they are in low tiers, QE is facing better competition where many BB's have fast turrets and fast ROF so QE's powerful AP is more than negated IMO by it being harder to use than your opponents likely weaker weapons. Premium Warspite is basically a QE without these issues. 

You've already went through Bellerophon so I didn't include it. IMO Bellerophon is wedged between groups 2 and 3. 

[USCC2]
Members
3,434 posts

If you like BBs then save your Free XP, there's bound to be another Free XP BB on sale again. :Smile_honoring:

• Cool 1

Members
996 posts
5,744 battles
1 hour ago, USCG_Fan2016 said:

Hi all,

Thanks!

Happy hunting, Captains.

It sounds like you're asking your questions at the wrong time, about the wrong things.

If you want to skip undertiering (being uptiered), then you want to stay in the Orion as long as possible, and not skip to the Iron Duke. Orion is in the "protected" Tier 4 matchmaking. Don't skip the rest of the grind, if you like the grind you're in. If you skip to the Iron Duke, you're in Tier 5, and that where the uptiering suffering actually starts.

I would disagree with AdmiralThunder's characterization of the QE as a turd. I don't think he's wrong; I think we do different things. I think Thunder is mainly a PVE player, and with the hard charging reds and close ranges of Co-op games, you will suffer with the slow turrets on the QE. In randoms, where the sides spend more time farther apart, the slow turret reverse is less of an issue. Still an issue, yes, but less of one. Although I didn't have a great win rate with the QE, my average damage was 40% above server average. That was done mainly with AP shells.

If the Wiki is correct, the QE has 1% more fire chance than the Warspite, and does 1000 more damage. The Warspite does have a faster turret traverse.

I would suggest saving your Free XP. At least finish the Orion grind since you like it. Also, you're at some 600 total battles, so you're likely still very much in the mode of learning basic game mechanics. But, if you find you absolutely must use Free XP to skip some of the Iron Duke, you will have a bit more saved up.

[TDG]
Members
1,127 posts
5,736 battles
3 hours ago, USCG_Fan2016 said:

Hi all,

Thanks!

Happy hunting, Captains.

I enjoyed my time in the ships so far, but the line is not a priority for me.  I didn't just grind through one ship at a time.  I didn't feel it was a hard slog as I was always running different ships.

I can't really comment on the ships as I did well in them. However, at the time I went through, they were the most recent BBs I had run and was better in the game overall.

All that said, I don't skip ships (I did this once and still regret it.).  I will use Free XP to avoid the stock hulls.  I will also on rare occasions use a bit of Free XP to unlock a ship if there is a specific reason I don't want to take the time.  The last one was a discount on buying the next ship and I was not able to finish before the discount ran out.

Members
2,120 posts
4,735 battles

Orion is the best Tier 4 battleship, hands down. Just burn everything and use AP on broadside cruisers and battleships at close ranges (I'd say below 10 kilometers). Iron Duke is basically an Orion at Tier 5, but tier for tier she's significantly weaker as she will often see Tier 6 and 7 in the currently ridiculous matchmaking for Tier 5 and Tier 6. Tier 6 QE is simply no good, but Tier 7 is decent. KGV is like a supersized Japanese CA.