You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ace_04

What do you do when not grinding ship lines?

62 comments in this topic

[-K-]
Members
5,086 posts
8,969 battles

For the first time, I've managed to grind all tech tree lines out (except CVs...waiting for UI overhaul first) and find myself wondering what approach to take when putzing around with the game.

For those in the same boat (yes, pun intended), what do you do?  Play T10's?  Play premium ships?  Seal-club?

I may go find some sub-par stats on tech tree ships I did poorly in and work on those, but am curious to know what you guys do.

[HINON]
Supertester
18,966 posts
12,487 battles

Play ships I enjoy and actually have fun playing the game without worrying about some nebulous goal ahead of me.

Yes.

Really.

Actually having fun playing a game, perish the thought.

• Cool 4
  • Boring 1

[WOLF2]
Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles

The only time I don't play ships I like is when searching for new ships I like. I don't see the point in having unlocked a complete line of ships I never intend to play.

• Cool 1

[5BS]
Members
4,534 posts

Spam Lion, Warspite, Baltimore, DM, Kidd, and Minotaur matches. Or work on events that are going on.

1 minute ago, cometguy said:

The only time I don't play ships I like is when searching for new ships I like. I don't see the point in having unlocked a complete line of ships I never intend to play.

Useful for events. I'm no fan of IJN Cruisers (other than Mogami) or IJN DD's or IJN BB's (frankly most IJN ships handle poorly for my playstyle) but I wanted the TX's in all of them for when WGing gives out free stuff associated with owning TX's (like last year they gave SC for each one owned).

Edited by _RC1138

Members
8,076 posts
17,037 battles

I don’t grind lines, and Tier 10 can go to hell.

Currently where I want to be, so I just play for missions/tasks or what I feel like playing.

• Cool 3

[WOLF2]
Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles
2 minutes ago, _RC1138 said:

Useful for events. I'm no fan of IJN Cruisers (other than Mogami) or IJN DD's or IJN BB's (frankly most IJN ships handle poorly for my playstyle) but I wanted the TX's in all of them for when WGing gives out free stuff associated with owning TX's (like last year they gave SC for each one owned).

I'll admit that I missed out in quite a few SCs when they did that, but I have found getting to t7 in a line to be a fairly quick and painless process, and that's usually more than enough to be able to do almost all events. Especially having done some of the events where you are given a free t6 tech tree ship as a reward.

[5BS]
Members
4,534 posts
Just now, cometguy said:

I'll admit that I missed out in quite a few SCs when they did that, but I have found getting to t7 in a line to be a fairly quick and painless process, and that's usually more than enough to be able to do almost all events. Especially having done some of the events where you are given a free t6 tech tree ship as a reward.

They do keep giving out free things associated with TX's though. Last year was SC's, the year before that was a ridiculous amount of Dragon flags (50? 100? per Tier X right, either way, a lot). And the next birthday is coming soon (5 months) so they are worth it, even if you never play them. I sure as hell never play Shima or Zao, but I'm glad I have them done for when I need them.

Members
1,690 posts
7,231 battles

I did not grind any ship lines in a very long time. Last two T10 lines were jump started by WG giving me significant head start in the lines and assisted by huge chunks of free XP I had nothing to do with since getting all free XP ships.  When I don’t grind anything I find myself mostly playing T9 premiums and T10 ships, with occasional T7 premium here and there.  Which is a huge shame for the rest of premium ships, especially T8 ones...  Tirpitz, Alabama, Kutuzov, Atago, Loyang - don’t get played at all...

[HINON]
Members
8,854 posts

To crush my enemies, to see them driven before me, and to hear the lamentations of their women.

• Cool 1

Members
321 posts
2,900 battles

Dunkerque, Cleveland, Atlanta, Kami R, Clemson, (and a recent addition to this list: Pensacola)

And try to get a 19 pt. captain

And get my new Pensa captain up to lvl10 (Previous one moved up to the New Orleans

Edit: I am currently actively grinding the MN BBs and the US CAs, sidelined grinds include:

• US --- DDs (@T6), BBs (@T5), CVs (@T5), CLs (when they come out)
  • IJN --- Torp DDs (@T5), CVs (@T4)
  • MN --- CL/CAs (@T6)
  • KM --- CL/CAs (@T5), BBs (@T3)

Specific Ships: Richelieu, Iowa, Independence + Lexington, Algiere, Des Moines, Gearing

Edited by zucchinibob

Members
411 posts

Either grind Commander Elite XP on my 19 point captain ships. Or have fun taking turns picking different ships and tiers with clan mates in divisions round-robin style.

Alpha Tester
2,731 posts
4,352 battles

Grind elite commander EXP...i.e. Marblehead with my carrier captain...or grind Planes :Smile_trollface:

[WOLF2]
Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles
5 minutes ago, _RC1138 said:

They do keep giving out free things associated with TX's though. Last year was SC's, the year before that was a ridiculous amount of Dragon flags (50? 100? per Tier X right, either way, a lot). And the next birthday is coming soon (5 months) so they are worth it, even if you never play them. I sure as hell never play Shima or Zao, but I'm glad I have them done for when I need them.

Debatably worth it. Personally, I'd rather not grind up to t10 for a ship line I hate, and open my wallet when necessary. Besides, since I'm playing ships I love, instead of grinding up a bunch of lines, credits, free XP, and elite captain xp aren't a problem.

• Cool 1

[5BS]
Members
4,534 posts
1 minute ago, cometguy said:

Debatably worth it. Personally, I'd rather not grind up to t10 for a ship line I hate, and open my wallet when necessary. Besides, since I'm playing ships I love, instead of grinding up a bunch of lines, credits, free XP, and elite captain xp aren't a problem.

IDK I didn't enjoy grinding IJN DD's (and I did it just as the way-back-when torp nerf took place), but I made a ton of credits doing it, and at least got an appreciation for how those lines work. I'm not a fan of the Hinde for example: not my style of CA play (same reason I'm not a fan of Zao), but having at least played to Tier X with both those lines I know how to deal with them because I remember what killed me the easiest. Same thing with the Khab; I don't mind fighting Khabs as much as many others do because I've played it enough to understand what works and doesnt work against it.

• Cool 1

Members
3,554 posts
6,867 battles

Randomly select odd ships I play less frequently, from tier II to X. Collect flags, credits and exp for some future acquisition not yet thought about.

• Cool 1

[WOLF2]
Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles
4 minutes ago, _RC1138 said:

IDK I didn't enjoy grinding IJN DD's (and I did it just as the way-back-when torp nerf took place), but I made a ton of credits doing it, and at least got an appreciation for how those lines work. I'm not a fan of the Hinde for example: not my style of CA play (same reason I'm not a fan of Zao), but having at least played to Tier X with both those lines I know how to deal with them because I remember what killed me the easiest. Same thing with the Khab; I don't mind fighting Khabs as much as many others do because I've played it enough to understand what works and doesnt work against it.

That's a good way to go about it. So far, I've been able to figure out enough without having to play the ships I hate. It does mean I would be a poor source for how to do well in/buff/nerf those ships though.

[5BS]
Members
4,534 posts

Also, isn't there a random ship mod? I think I've seen it on the long list of Aslains right? It just picks a random ship to play. I haven't done it but I imagine that could be fun/interesting if you have a reasonably large port.

[OPG]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,872 posts
10,416 battles

I play tier 10 with friends. I like winning and always being top tier, so playing t10s is how I have my fun

[SF-3]
Members
1,450 posts
7,929 battles

replay ships i havent played in a while, play ships i enjoy playing, try new ship types out (CVs). I dont usually grind ships though, too boring, so I bounce around with whatever ships I am feeling like playing.

[O7]
[O7]
Members
287 posts
12,074 battles

I am buying back every tech tree ship. Otherwise I am playing ships I enjoy which is currently Republiqúe among a few others.

[WAG]
Members
379 posts
7,274 battles

I play ships I enjoy, which preferable have 19 point captains, so I can earn Elite Commander XP. These are split between tier ships with 19 point captains assigned, and premium ships I can put them in to get an extra daily win bonus. I'm not big into "seal clubbing," so while I have premium tier 3 and 4 ships, I rarely play them. My current favorites include:

• Gulio Casare
  • Arizona
  • Lyon
  • Shchors
  • Kutuzov

[5IN]
Members
1,786 posts
8,109 battles

I'm not actively grinding anything in particular.  So, I generally play ships that I do well in, or are just fun to play.  

Improving personal performance in a particular ship that I did poorly in the first time around is always a goal.  

B

[NOOOB]
Members
1,441 posts
12,097 battles

Find myself in the same situation.  Have just about every ship I want, both tech tree and premium, the three free exp ships, not interested in CVs until rework.  Have 100M credits, no real need for free exp.  

Members
9,434 posts
11,601 battles

i am done with grinding.   t9 on 5 lines  don't care about CV.    rest at 10.       next one will be the USCL  to 9 at the least.