Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Neph

Is the Minsk OP?

21 comments in this topic

[SOUTH]
Members
233 posts
2,368 battles

I don't know what it is. Normally, DDs are my worst class (from USN and IJN). I'm an okay player, but suddenly when strapping into RU DDs, my win rate goes to 75% in the last 40 battles. The Minsk in particular seems insane, given the power of just hanging and laying sniper fire from 13km on any target, doing very slight course adjustments that dodge all fire.

Is this line entirely OP, and just held back by players who are trying to play like destroyers, instead of warp drive cruisers?

[AXANR]
Members
3,354 posts
16,514 battles
3 hours ago, Neph said:

I don't know what it is. Normally, DDs are my worst class (from USN and IJN). I'm an okay player, but suddenly when strapping into RU DDs, my win rate goes to 75% in the last 40 battles. The Minsk in particular seems insane, given the power of just hanging and laying sniper fire from 13km on any target, doing very slight course adjustments that dodge all fire.

Is this line entirely OP, and just held back by players who are trying to play like destroyers, instead of warp drive cruisers?

RU DDs are extremely strong when played well by a skilled player. It could also be that your playstyle and skill set just fits their capabilities more than other DDs. Sometimes a given ship line just fits a given player. BBs are my weakest class, but I'm winning 60% in both Republique and Alsace because they just fit my style perfectly. Maybe thats what Minsk is for you. 

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Supertester
18,903 posts
12,441 battles

It's 7th in WR and DPG among T7 DDs, so hardly OP.

WoWS Wiki Editor
7,204 posts
6,433 battles

If you think Minsk is OP, you haven‘t tried Leningrad. You trade a little bit of gun range against vastly stronger Torps, which are actually usable.

• Cool 2

[AAA]
Members
393 posts
5,123 battles

Leningrad doesn’t get enough love. My favorite dd, and I rock in it. If all I had was the grad and Belfast WoWS would be awesome. 

Sad thing about the grad is it’s what the khab should be but khab is merely a dcruiser with self defense torps

[AXANR]
Members
3,354 posts
16,514 battles

I haven't played my Leningrad in months. I should take her out soon. Love that boat.

[INTEL]
Beta Testers
1,572 posts
3,893 battles

Maybe I'll have to give Leningrad and Minsk a go.  I was in a weird place when the RU DD line split, and ended up vaulting to T8 in both lines.

[SOUTH]
Members
233 posts
2,368 battles

In the grand scheme of stats, she's not got any particularly good W/R or other numbers. But also for some odd reason, the Minsk is the least played by a huge amount for her tier. I find this odd, given how incredibly simple her play style is (shoot at 12-13km, slowly rotate a few degrees and slice out one target at a time, disengage from anything capable of actually hitting you).

Guess playing cruisers and other DDs first, then getting traumatized by Khabs for a while really hammers in how insane 47 knots and 13km laser beams are as a combo.

[TF57]
Members
1,237 posts
3,918 battles

By definition, no T7 DD can be OP..... T7 is not a great DD tier and even the best is... like being the tallest dwarf...

[BBP]
Members
333 posts
3,977 battles
31 minutes ago, evilleMonkeigh said:

By definition, no T7 DD can be OP..... T7 is not a great DD tier and even the best is... like being the tallest dwarf...

Leningrad, Gadjah Mada, and Błyskawica are the better T7 DDs IMO.  

[TF57]
Members
1,237 posts
3,918 battles

Leningrad, Gadjah Mada, and Błyskawica are the better T7 DDs IMO.  

Correct. But why did you quote my post when your comment had nothing to do with it?

[BBP]
Members
333 posts
3,977 battles
7 hours ago, evilleMonkeigh said:

Correct. But why did you quote my post when your comment had nothing to do with it?

What I mean to say is that they are actually pretty good DDs.  You implied that T7 was a bad tier for DDs and I was pointing out 3 pretty good ones.  

In a T5-T7 match, Leningrad, Gadjah Mada, or Błyskawica can be pretty dominant.  

[APOC]
Members
637 posts
11,416 battles
46 minutes ago, _MiDKnighTx_ said:

What I mean to say is that they are actually pretty good DDs.  You implied that T7 was a bad tier for DDs and I was pointing out 3 pretty good ones.  

In a T5-T7 match, Leningrad, Gadjah Mada, or Błyskawica can be pretty dominant.  

I'm not afraid of ending up in a tier 9 match in my Leningrad either honestly.

Members
842 posts
14 hours ago, Lightninger said:

I'm not afraid of ending up in a tier 9 match in my Leningrad either honestly.

Well, RU DDs take the T7/8 gap quite easily, because the primary problem is lack of the Concealment module at T8/9.

Seeing as how the RU DDs don't really bother too much with concealment in their playstyle, being uptiered really isn't hard to cope with.

Every other DD line, however, which DOES depend quite heavily (or even exclusively) on their stealth for effectiveness, it's murder.

That's why T7 is in such a problematic place for DDs.  I'd go so far to say that the majority of your matches are with T8 and/or T9 ships in them.  You very rarely see a T5, and even the T6/T7 match isn't that common.  The T8 and T9 DDs have such a huge concealment advantage over their T7 counterparts that it's not really even a fair game.

To be clear here: by having access to the Concealment module, you get a MINIMUM of a 700m concealment buff. That's enormous. It's so bad that the stealthiest T7 DD (Shiratsuyu) is out-stealthed by over half of the T8 and T9 DDs, and it goes downhill from there really fast.

• Cool 1

[APOC]
Members
637 posts
11,416 battles
8 hours ago, EAnybody said:

Well, RU DDs take the T7/8 gap quite easily, because the primary problem is lack of the Concealment module at T8/9.

Seeing as how the RU DDs don't really bother too much with concealment in their playstyle, being uptiered really isn't hard to cope with.

Every other DD line, however, which DOES depend quite heavily (or even exclusively) on their stealth for effectiveness, it's murder.

That's why T7 is in such a problematic place for DDs.  I'd go so far to say that the majority of your matches are with T8 and/or T9 ships in them.  You very rarely see a T5, and even the T6/T7 match isn't that common.  The T8 and T9 DDs have such a huge concealment advantage over their T7 counterparts that it's not really even a fair game.

To be clear here: by having access to the Concealment module, you get a MINIMUM of a 700m concealment buff. That's enormous. It's so bad that the stealthiest T7 DD (Shiratsuyu) is out-stealthed by over half of the T8 and T9 DDs, and it goes downhill from there really fast.

I don't use my Russian destroyers as "light cruisers" and take concealment module on every ship in the line that can along with concealment expert on all but the Khabarovsk. I actually play them as destroyers and I have no issue with it even when uptiered but most people also aren't able to replicate the way I play easily either.

[KP]
Members
1,995 posts
18,375 battles
On 4/1/2018 at 11:19 PM, Neph said:

The short answer yes! 

[ICBM]
Members
295 posts
4,844 battles

I didn't find it OP, but it was a blast to play. Was so much fun I decided to purchase leningrad which is a powerhouse. It is small and crazy fast and well nigh impossibleto hit. So fun.

[S_B]
Members
415 posts
10,468 battles

Took AFT first over CE on my Gnenvy and Minsk. I only use the 4km torps in an ambush situation or a kamikaze late game rush on a BB. They are great DD gunboats. Took CE first over AFT on my Ognevoi due to it being Tier 8, 10km torps and decent gun range.

• Cool 1

[KP]
Members
1,995 posts
18,375 battles
17 hours ago, dust340man said:

Took AFT first over CE on my Gnenvy and Minsk. I only use the 4km torps in an ambush situation or a kamikaze late game rush on a BB. They are great DD gunboats. Took CE first over AFT on my Ognevoi due to it being Tier 8, 10km torps and decent gun range.

Yeah that Ognevoi is a complete anomaly you really need a different spec'd Cpt for sure compared to the others.

Sign in to follow this