You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Battle_Cat_Cringer

Ship XP Question

12 comments in this topic

Members
35 posts
3,918 battles

I've got 145K XP(or ship XP?) over a bunch of battles in the Hsienyang. I also researched/bought the B hull for 30K XP. So if the Chung Mu is 160K, shouldn't I have enough XP to research it by now?

It's telling me it wants to also use some of my freeXP, which I want to avoid.

Edited by Battle_Cat_Cringer

[-BSS-]
Members
385 posts
5,934 battles

If the Ching Mu is 160k then your 145k is 15k short, assuming you have already purchased any hulls required.

• Cool 1

[TF16B]
Members
8,064 posts
17,019 battles

Yeah, some kind of price difference usually means you missed researching something required to advance on the previous ship.

• Cool 1

[TF16B]
Members
8,064 posts
17,019 battles

Oops... DP somehow from my phone... Sorry.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet

[HINON]
Members
8,841 posts

145k minus the 30k for the hull module means you have 115k ship xp left, you need 160k ship xp to research the next ship. See the 160k doesnt include the required modules in the total cost.

• Cool 1

[RIPQP]
WoWS Wiki Editor, Supertester
725 posts
7,647 battles

Oh I get it.

When you research a module, that exp cost is permanently lost. So if you had spent 30,000 exp already, you are now 30,000 exp less than what you had before. The total cumulative exp on a ship is NOT counted towards the exp needed to advance. 

I know Armored Warfare works like that, where it's total accumulated exp towards the next vehicle, and spent exp doesn't get detracted from that total; warships doesn't work like that.

Edited by _Fantomex_
  • Cool 1

Members
842 posts

Yeah. It's a little unclear.

The amount show under Ship XP is the amount you have right now to spend, whether on upgrade to hulls/guns/range/torps/etc. or for advancing to the next ship.

Costs for any such upgrade are deducted from that Ship XP "bank".

This is important because once you've researched the next ship in the line (and you end up with close to 0 in the ShipXP bank), you can still go back and play that older ship again. That XP then accumulates as "EliteXP", which can be converted to FreeXP via doubloons. Though, frankly, the EliteXP -> FreeXP ratio is ridiculously bad, in a 25:1 XP:doubloon ratio. Heck, even the 35:1 occasionally seen is pretty awful.

Remember, if you're buying doubloons in modest chunks (say 3000-5000 or so), you're getting about 200 doubloons for $1.  Which means every $1 can convert around 7000 ShipXP to FreeXP.  There's a little fudge room based on specials, etc.  But the math says you'll NEVER be able to convert more than 10,000 ShipXP to FreeXP for $1.  It's a terrible deal. 

It's a well-documented psychological trick that by inserting an artificial currency between a item and any real one, you divorce actual cost/benefit analysis from the buyer VERY significantly. Which in turn makes it easier to get people to spend money they wouldn't normally, because the True Cost of the item is extremely well-hidden.

Here's an example:  Quick, without looking at my post above or ANY other WG website, how much USD is 3750 doubloons worth?  Any clue?  Of course not. 

That's how Freemium games trick people into spending money. There's a lively debate amongst psychologists right now whether or not this actually boils down to fraud, and whether or not it should be make illegal.  I'm of the opinion that all in-game currency that can be directly purchased via real-world money should be required to be pegged to a major currency (e.g. USD, Euro, Yen) in either a 1:1 or 100:1 ratio.  In WG's case, this would be Doubloons, but you'd also have to outlaw buying Silver with real money (or fix that to some similar ratio, like 10,000:1)

Edited by EAnybody

[TDG]
Members
1,127 posts
5,701 battles
On 4/1/2018 at 8:02 PM, EAnybody said:

Here's an example:  Quick, without looking at my post above or ANY other WG website, how much USD is 3750 doubloons worth?  Any clue?  Of course not. 

No less than $15 at the best normally available rate.

I don't think the "Of course not." is valid.  I will not argue that most don't think about it, but this is not universally true.

As to legality, none of the information is hidden.  It is fairly simple to establish an equivalent value.  I do this all the time when looking at the bundles.  I low-ball the value of the items I intend to use and then decide if the ship (or other item) is worth residual cost.  Silver is also fairly easy.  300,000 to the $1 when looking at value in-game and 500,000 to the $1 when looking at value of the silver in bundles.  (Best conversion normally available using the above doubloon rate is 375,000 to the $1.)

As to the rest of the argument, any currency not in use by the player in normal activities may as well be in an artificial currency.  Euros, Won, or Yen are not significantly different that an artificial currency if you cannot get the value out of the game.

Finally, I avoid buying silver to the extent I can as it can be earned in-game.  Of course, the evaluation of the value of that time is another matter.

Members
842 posts
3 hours ago, YeOldeTraveller said:

No less than $15 at the best normally available rate.

I don't think the "Of course not." is valid.  I will not argue that most don't think about it, but this is not universally true.

You're off by 20%:  it's $18.19.  Note that I didn't ask "how much does 3750 doubloons work out to cost if I buy 20,000 at once". No, I asked for a straight translation, and you (and I, and everyone else) can't do that easily. We *must* run over to the WG Shop and type in in to their purchase system. Which will spit out different numbers at different times.

That's a huge error, and why what I describe is a major problem: it effectively short-circuits most people's ability to do cost analysis. You can't know because it's INTENTIONALLY made as difficult as possible to know - the $1:doubloon ratio varies all over the place by several factors.

As to legality, none of the information is hidden.  It is fairly simple to establish an equivalent value.  I do this all the time when looking at the bundles.  I low-ball the value of the items I intend to use and then decide if the ship (or other item) is worth residual cost.  Silver is also fairly easy.  300,000 to the $1 when looking at value in-game and 500,000 to the $1 when looking at value of the silver in bundles.  (Best conversion normally available using the above doubloon rate is 375,000 to the $1.)

Again, you're not reading the literature about how this one layer of indirection makes it very hard to know what the price is when you buy.

How would you like it if you went to the grocery store, and they were legally allowed to write things like "About $2" for the price tag, then charge you anywhere from $1.60 to $2.40 at the register?  That the only way you'd have to figure out the real cost would be to go to the register and ask?

Basically, it's a way to hide pricing data from your customer, and misdirect them as to the true cost of a product.  That the ultimate price is possibly discoverable elsewhere is irrelevant to the effect.

I didn't say it was illegal, but there's very significant talk among economists and legal experts as to whether it really does fall under deceptive advertising, or even if it doesn't, that it *should* be made illegal, as there is a very strong case to be made that it's a form of consumer fraud or deceptive trade practice.

As to the rest of the argument, any currency not in use by the player in normal activities may as well be in an artificial currency.  Euros, Won, or Yen are not significantly different that an artificial currency if you cannot get the value out of the game.

I didn't say that you had to use Yen, Euro, Dollars in-game. I said that whatever in-game currency was used should have to be trivially and OBVIOUSLY related to a major Real World Currency.  Ex, "doubloons" is just fine to use in WoWS, and if you can't get them back out, that's no different than buying a Gift Card from any major retailer, but you should be buying 100 doubloons for $1. Not 213 or 198 or 243 doubloons for $1. 

Edited by EAnybody

[TDG]
Members
1,127 posts
5,701 battles
3 minutes ago, EAnybody said:

You're off by 20%:  it's $18.19. 

I stopped right here as you have completely discredited your argument.

25,000 doubloons at $99.99 makes 3750 doubloons worth $15 (actually $14.9985).  Verified just now.  I did say the best normally available rate.

Have a nice day.

Members
842 posts
2 minutes ago, YeOldeTraveller said:

I stopped right here as you have completely discredited your argument.

25,000 doubloons at $99.99 makes 3750 doubloons worth $15 (actually $14.9985).  Verified just now.  I did say the best normally available rate.

Have a nice day.

Then you didn't read my question, and you chose to answer a different one. Which is typical.