Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Thornir

OMG! Weekend players....

18 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

541
[WOLF6]
Members
1,757 posts
4,786 battles

...turn out to be better than during the week again for me this weekend. 

What? What's that you say? Your experience is different? Well, my experience is correct! You must be mistaken! I took careful notes, and when I won a game, why, I wrote it down! And when I lost, I wrote that down, too! And now I have evidence! I have proof that the weekends are BETTER for player skill than weekdays!

All seriousness aside (:Smile_amazed:) , that's the other side of the "weekend players suck and are always on my team" threads. In truth, I've had really good games, poor games, and games in between this weekend, last weekend and the weekend before - but overall, better than my weekday evenings. This weekend for example, there were five games where I did poorly, and we won 3. Three games, I did really well, and we won all three. The other two, I did middle of the road, and we won 1 and lost 1. So, 70% for the weekend (all T9). 

So...clearly, this is not a representative sample. Why not? Too few games/only one player, for starters. Can I claim players are BETTER on the weekend, based on my experience? Of course not. Will others who have the mirror image of my experience complain that they had all the potatoes on their teams and they lost and lost and it's because "as everyone knows" the bad players only play on the weekend and/or MM is rigged to put the bad players on their team more often than not? Yup.

Thing is, in order to assert that the MM is controlled in any way, or that more bad players play on the weekend, or that those bad players end up on anyone's team more often BY DESIGN, you need data. LOTS of data. What happens to one person and their friends on weekends is too small a data set to make any conclusions. Just like my dataset here is too small.

None of this will stop some from insisting they know "the truth" and what I'm saying here is all wrong, of course. For them, we have this

Thanks for tuning in. Sorry for the bait and switch! :Smile_teethhappy:

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
933
Members
4,438 posts
6,118 battles
28 minutes ago, Thornir said:

...turn out to be better than during the week again for me this weekend. 

What? What's that you say? Your experience is different? Well, my experience is correct! You must be mistaken! I took careful notes, and when I won a game, why, I wrote it down! And when I lost, I wrote that down, too! And now I have evidence! I have proof that the weekends are BETTER for player skill than weekdays!

All seriousness aside (:Smile_amazed:) , that's the other side of the "weekend players suck and are always on my team" threads. In truth, I've had really good games, poor games, and games in between this weekend, last weekend and the weekend before - but overall, better than my weekday evenings. This weekend for example, there were five games where I did poorly, and we won 3. Three games, I did really well, and we won all three. The other two, I did middle of the road, and we won 1 and lost 1. So, 70% for the weekend (all T9). 

So...clearly, this is not a representative sample. Why not? Too few games/only one player, for starters. Can I claim players are BETTER on the weekend, based on my experience? Of course not. Will others who have the mirror image of my experience complain that they had all the potatoes on their teams and they lost and lost and it's because "as everyone knows" the bad players only play on the weekend and/or MM is rigged to put the bad players on their team more often than not? Yup.

Thing is, in order to assert that the MM is controlled in any way, or that more bad players play on the weekend, or that those bad players end up on anyone's team more often BY DESIGN, you need data. LOTS of data. What happens to one person and their friends on weekends is too small a data set to make any conclusions. Just like my dataset here is too small.

None of this will stop some from insisting they know "the truth" and what I'm saying here is all wrong, of course. For them, we have this

Thanks for tuning in. Sorry for the bait and switch! :Smile_teethhappy:

You make very good points.  BUT I still don't much like playing on weekends. :Smile-angry:  My "scientific" study has been to look at those win/loss graphs on Warships Today data site. Downturns in my win rate correlate very much to when I have played weekends. Of course it may also be due to the fact that I SUCK too often.  But if I embrace that I would have to look in a mirror. Heh. :Smile_sad:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,819
Members
5,574 posts
7,121 battles

Many want some kinda proof about weekend play being worse.

In my experience, it's worse than weekdays. I don't need to show proof of this, it's simply something that I know through experience.

Literally, I'll have all the time in the world on some weekends, and I still won't play wows.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
540
Members
2,059 posts
5,097 battles

I just watched a well grouped team with a 600 point advantage, all 3 caps, and 4 more ships, all at full or near to HP. Lose to a 4k hp Black, a 30khp Iowa, a lex with 4 strike planes, and a 2k hp hipper.

 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
541
[WOLF6]
Members
1,757 posts
4,786 battles
41 minutes ago, HMCS_Devilfish said:

2229C0CE-B914-49B3-B8AD-42FF981A0AC9.jpeg

No, not again. Still. :Smile_teethhappy:

 

32 minutes ago, X15 said:

I just watched a well grouped team with a 600 point advantage, all 3 caps, and 4 more ships, all at full or near to HP. Lose to a 4k hp Black, a 30khp Iowa, a lex with 4 strike planes, and a 2k hp hipper.

 

And that can only happen on weekends? :Smile_amazed:

Wow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
540
Members
2,059 posts
5,097 battles
Just now, Thornir said:

And that can only happen on weekends? :Smile_amazed:

I never said anything like that.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
541
[WOLF6]
Members
1,757 posts
4,786 battles
39 minutes ago, Wulfgarn said:

Many want some kinda proof about weekend play being worse.

In my experience, it's worse than weekdays. I don't need to show proof of this, it's simply something that I know through experience.

Literally, I'll have all the time in the world on some weekends, and I still won't play wows.

You don't need to show proof, unless you are stating your experience as fact

That would be the difference. We're all entitled to opinions and our own experience.

But opinions and experiences aren't facts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
541
[WOLF6]
Members
1,757 posts
4,786 battles
1 minute ago, X15 said:

I never said anything like that.

 

Which is why I asked. But, if you weren't making a point about weekend play...what point were you making?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
85
[FKIT]
Members
377 posts
8,220 battles

My experience is the same, usually week-end players are better than week day players for me. Week day players will find a rock to hide under and stare at a cap, without fail. Week-end players on the other hand will actually move up ahead, and with skilled support.... you can turn it into an actual push?!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
335
[DPG]
Members
816 posts
4,165 battles

Well someone has to be winning all those games that the other people are complaining about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
541
[WOLF6]
Members
1,757 posts
4,786 battles
3 minutes ago, Amenhir said:

Well someone has to be winning all those games that the other people are complaining about.

Someone is. Just not the person complaining.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,602
[INTEL]
Members
8,395 posts
25,183 battles

I have lots of win/loss data for weekends. It shows the same thing: weekend games are more likely to be short stupid collapses.

Just got another idiot 35% Shokaku, that CV being his second most played ship. The idiot even tried to snipe the other CV with his opening strike, failed horribly, planes all got eaten. Then our Missouri killed the red CV, and our CV still couldn't manage to dominate. 

Once again, thanks WG, for making CVs so dominant and then doing nothing to ensure that people can actually play them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,052
[OPG]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,871 posts
10,411 battles
3 hours ago, Wulfgarn said:

Many want some kinda proof about weekend play being worse.

In my experience, it's worse than weekdays. I don't need to show proof of this, it's simply something that I know through experience.

Literally, I'll have all the time in the world on some weekends, and I still won't play wows.

 

Alright, if we just take our experience as fact, then here I go. All teams are bad. There is no difference between a Wednesday team or a Saturday team. I know this from experience.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
453
[WORX]
Members
1,623 posts
12,629 battles

 Before we give titles to start shaming people for which in real life works well, just because you "FEEL" something emotional does'nt mean its an absolute truth. What I have seen is emotional out cry other then  the cold hard facts. Sometimes based on emotions not facts we convince ourselves that it is fact its the ultimate truth because we feel/experience through it, so it must be the irrevocable truth/fact. That is wrong way of cementing what is fact. My theory is. Some games are just not winnable regardless of what day it is and here is why..

  • Regardless of tier, your going to have BB drivers potato-ing in regular mode ( especially in tier X)
  • Regardless of tier you're going to have BB drivers not knowing how to play Domination mode yet (especially in Tier X)
  • Cruisers are going to do campaigns that require  a suicide move like spotting.
  • DDs not capping in the later part of a domination game once there is no red DD left
  • DDs soloing
  • No back up/ team coordination  for light cruisers

So in the end, I left the examples in game. I can give examples of this "FEELING" becoming false truths scenario in the political point of view but then the Moderators will start censoring educational (but not opinionated design to divide)post.  Or it can happen in your personal lives. So every time I go into these unwinnable battles I just well try to blow stuff up. CHeers guys ! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57
[LOD_2]
Members
263 posts
13 hours ago, X15 said:

I just watched a well grouped team with a 600 point advantage, all 3 caps, and 4 more ships, all at full or near to HP. Lose to a 4k hp Black, a 30khp Iowa, a lex with 4 strike planes, and a 2k hp hipper.

 

Cant be that well grouped then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
304 posts

Weekend means more beer consumption, and for me everything get lost in the laganita IPA I enjoy.  Play better, or play worse...doesn't matter as long as the beer fridge is full.  Lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×