Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
crazyferret23777

Best Build and commander points for Yamato?

13 comments in this topic

Members
205 posts
4,223 battles

Finally got this beauty and want to know if my friends advice of a secondary build is worth it? What upgrades are best? Is the dispersion reduction and faster reload a good idea on it? TIA

[SOUP]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,300 posts

Yes. Secondary build is hilarious for ambushing DDs

[PLPTV]
Members
1,457 posts
9,077 battles
1 hour ago, crazyferret23777 said:

Finally got this beauty and want to know if my friends advice of a secondary build is worth it? What upgrades are best? Is the dispersion reduction and faster reload a good idea on it? TIA

Yami and Izumo cant brawl at all. Their citadels are exposed, and placement of secondaries gives them restricted firing angles - meaning you need to give more broadside to bring them to bear.

Spec for Endurance and Concealment if you want to be competitive in a match. Ideal build: Preventative Maintenance, Expert Marksman, Adrenaline, Basics of Survivability, Superintendent, Fire Prevention, Concealment.

Forget about AA, on the Yami its all short ranged and even with all the skills its not enough to kill tier 9-X planes before they drop on you.

Edited by Ulthwey

[RIPQP]
WoWS Wiki Editor, Supertester
725 posts
7,624 battles

The only Tier 10 ship that should use a full secondary build is the Kurfurst, and even then, full survival build is preferred by many players. For the Yamato, you should never be within 10 km of an enemy ship, as your slow turrets and weak armor will be the death of you in that kind of situation.

Speccing into concealment and survival skills are your best option. Advanced Firing Training can probably be used if you have a 19 point captain, as the extended AA range also helps a bit against lower tier CV's. For modules, dispersion, reload, and concealment are what you should go for. Everything else is up to you.

[SOUP]
7,300 posts
2 minutes ago, _Fantomex_ said:

The only Tier 10 ship that should use a full secondary build is the Kurfurst

Joke's on you, I have a pretty effective Republique secondary build, and she isn't even maxed yet~<3

[RIPQP]
WoWS Wiki Editor, Supertester
725 posts
7,624 battles
8 minutes ago, Chobittsu said:

Joke's on you, I have a pretty effective Republique secondary build, and she isn't even maxed yet~<3

I run AFT on her, cause she has pretty good AA, but no other secondary skills or modules.

I ran a secondary build on her while she was in testing, and I had ~15% of my total damage each game in combined secondaries+fire damage. I don't know how my overall damage or "effectiveness" changed when I switched to a survival build, though.

[SOUP]
7,300 posts
2 minutes ago, _Fantomex_ said:

It all really depends on playstyle in my opinion, I used my Yamato in brawls all the time and did pretty well cause I kept a close eye on my surroundings. My main tactic for Republique is to hunt down cruisers and destroyers with her, it's the last thing they expect and usually are caught off-guard because "It's all about the meta"

Members
8 posts
4,118 battles

Honestly, Secondary build on yamato is may not work as well as you think.

Yamato is too slow to fight near at hand, and can't use the secondarys on her broadside because she usually has to use her 'head on' mode.

It is only recommended in german 'Großer Kurfürst' or french 'Republique'.

But Captain Skill always depends on you as captain. you.

GL!

Edited by Lodestaar

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
4,926 posts
6,423 battles
4 hours ago, crazyferret23777 said:

Secondarys arent bad, but they arent anywhere near the levels of German and French BB secondaries, id honestly go a AA or survivability build(minus the skill that gives you more HP, thats only good for DDs really), because a ship like Yamato that can lol-pen everything is a BIG target and chances are the enemy will want you dead ASAP because of those big gun's ability to virtually ignore any and all armor

[KNTAI]
Members
173 posts
4,737 battles

The biggest issue with Yamato is that she shouldn't even be fighting at secondary ranges to begin with. A full survivability build is much more effective because you will be focused down the moment you are within firing range of the enemy.

Edited by Cruiser_ChoukaiKaiNi
Misspelling

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,557 posts
14,005 battles

For PVP, the typical build that is "safe" to do is Main battery / Survival / Stealth for Yamato.

19pt Yamato Capt

PT or PM

EM & AR

BOS & SI

FP & CE

Upgrades

MAM1 / DCSM1 / ASM1 / DCSM2 or SGM2 / CSM1 / MBM3

Your turret traverse is going to be terrible since you slot MBM3, but your 460mm guns reloading at 26.4 seconds is SCARY.

You have a lot of spec towards dealing with fires, which is important since Yamato is a favorite target for lots of people.

With CE & CSM1 for Stealth Build, Yamato is just as stealthy as Montana.

For upgrades, I recommend DCSM2 for further reduction of fire duration, but I do concede some would prefer improved rudder shift.

Your AA & Secondaries however, are going to be complete sh*t.

Also, don't be too eager looking for a brawl like I was when I first got Yamato.  Her turret traverse and citadel weakness will be the end of you if you are not wise to these issues.  Below is that citadel weakness.

8eX25qm.jpg

People will aim for this area and if you do not protect it, you are going to get punished heavily.  I did not know of this weakness when I first got her and I got crushed accordingly.  But you get used to having to compensate for it and it starts becoming second nature.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,267 posts
On 4/1/2018 at 9:53 PM, HazeGrayUnderway said:

For PVP, the typical build that is "safe" to do is Main battery / Survival / Stealth for Yamato.

19pt Yamato Capt

PT or PM

EM & AR

BOS & SI

FP & CE

Upgrades

MAM1 / DCSM1 / ASM1 / DCSM2 or SGM2 / CSM1 / MBM3

Your turret traverse is going to be terrible since you slot MBM3, but your 460mm guns reloading at 26.4 seconds is SCARY.

You have a lot of spec towards dealing with fires, which is important since Yamato is a favorite target for lots of people.

With CE & CSM1 for Stealth Build, Yamato is just as stealthy as Montana.

For upgrades, I recommend DCSM2 for further reduction of fire duration, but I do concede some would prefer improved rudder shift.

Your AA & Secondaries however, are going to be complete sh*t.

Also, don't be too eager looking for a brawl like I was when I first got Yamato.  Her turret traverse and citadel weakness will be the end of you if you are not wise to these issues.  Below is that citadel weakness.

8eX25qm.jpg

People will aim for this area and if you do not protect it, you are going to get punished heavily.  I did not know of this weakness when I first got her and I got crushed accordingly.  But you get used to having to compensate for it and it starts becoming second nature.

Trusting you on your skill setup. I finally got Yamato after buying/selling Izumo four times... swore I'd never own the Izumo again so I waited for the doubloon free xp conversion sale, snagged some doubloons and free xp'd my way (about half the way) to finally, finally take possession of the mighty Yamato. 

May see further advice for the proper care and feeding of this ship in a week or two. Thanks for the info. 

Sign in to follow this