You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
MrEndeavour

What is the point of making low tier ships?

27 comments in this topic

[-K-]
Members
642 posts
8,560 battles

What is the point of making low tier ships if you are going to allow players to skip to T5, T6, T7, T8 ( the French containers/ battleship missions ). It seems like a huge waste of company resources and time to make models that over half the player base isnt going to play anyways. Of course there will always be low tier players and new players to the game but it still seems dumb to do so much work on models just to have them barely get played by more seasoned players.

Any thoughts on this?

• Bad 3

[P2W]
[P2W]
Members
1,239 posts
3 minutes ago, Edgecase said:

Time for a T3 Ranked season.

Approved.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Beta Testers
1,554 posts
3,734 battles

No different than using free xp to skip them.

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts
5 minutes ago, Edgecase said:

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

[JKSDF]
[JKSDF]
Members
1,601 posts
2,491 battles

No! Tier 1 Ranked Season!

Also because not everyone has the money to skip and need somewhere to start at in order to learn the game! I’d rather start at tier 1 over the first ship I ever see is Yamato.

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,587 posts
14,010 battles
2 minutes ago, CLUCH_CARGO said:

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Time to dig out Konig Alberg...

[5IN]
Members
200 posts
17,211 battles

I think the way they launched the French Battleships was GENIUS.  I think giving out missions to fast forward the line a bit evened out the matchmaking a bit on launch day, which I'm assuming was what they were going for.  I remember when german BB's launched it was 4-minute wait time for a match at tier 3 with 300 Battleships in queue,  by spreading players out with those missions the low-tier launch day choke point was lessened.  If you want to play the tier 3 and 4 go for it even if you got the Richie Lou in a mission you can still go play the lower ships if you so choose.  I hope they continue this strategy to help with the bottleneck at low-tier on launch days for future lines.  This was a genius move IMO

[WOLF3]
Members
5,949 posts
2,203 battles
18 minutes ago, Edgecase said:

Yes.  9x9 (or however many) St. Louis. 

[PVE]
[PVE]
Beta Testers
1,554 posts
3,734 battles
7 minutes ago, Submarine_Albacore said:

No! Tier 1 Ranked Season!

Also because not everyone has the money to skip and need somewhere to start at in order to learn the game! I’d rather start at tier 1 over the first ship I ever see is Yamato.

The thing is in order to obtain the French ships from the cobtainers, the players must have at least a tier 5 ship.

Then some mission requires a certain amount of base xp to earn (I believe it is 20k base xp for one of the missions)

And then there's that abysmal low chance of actually getting a battleship mission with the Lyon and Richelieu being the rarest.

Plus you need to earn a certain amount of base xp to finish whatever battleship mission you got.

At this point a player would've earned just about the same amount of time and/or experience to skip the low tier French BBs (Tiers 3 and 4). Getting the Richelieu or even the Lyon is a stroke of luck.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,148 posts
8,762 battles
24 minutes ago, Edgecase said:

20 minutes ago, w4spl3g said:

Approved.

Seconded.

[STP]
[STP]
Beta Testers
2,022 posts
11,126 battles
6 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

Seconded.

3th

[STP]
[STP]
Beta Testers
2,022 posts
11,126 battles

Also, for skip ships people need play... or pay. So its not a waste of resource make that low tier ships.

• Cool 1

[WOLF6]
Members
1,785 posts
4,804 battles
35 minutes ago, MrEndeavour said:

What is the point of making low tier ships if you are going to allow players to skip to T5, T6, T7, T8 ( the French containers/ battleship missions ). It seems like a huge waste of company resources and time to make models that over half the player base isnt going to play anyways. Of course there will always be low tier players and new players to the game but it still seems dumb to do so much work on models just to have them barely get played by more seasoned players.

Any thoughts on this?

What?! Where is that coming from?

Also, how do new players progress without them? :Smile_ohmy:

How would "seasoned" players seal club and stat pad without them? :Smile_ohmy::Smile_sceptic:

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester
937 posts
6,345 battles
4 minutes ago, xXxRCADDICT said:

I like it! Konig Albert with my 19 point Bismark Captain! :Smile_izmena:

I have that ship and a 19 point Frederick Captain.  I honestly don't understand the hype about it.

Members
216 posts
2,023 battles
28 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Time to dig out Konig Alberg...

It would have been more ironic if you had talked about using Vampire while using that video.

• Funny 1

[-K-]
WoWS Wiki Editor, Members, Supertester, WoWS Community Contributors
4,672 posts
15,162 battles

I do agree that I dislike skipping the low tier French BB (and same with the PADD line)...  I get that WG is trying to reduce the number of times we see over 100 of a certain class in MM, but at the same time, if WG spent the money and resources to build the ships, I'd like to at least play them.  While I could go back and play the FRBB line (started at 7 thanks to mission), I don't know that I have any real reason to do so...

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
1,311 posts
9,395 battles

I think the single biggest reason for having the container missions was to break up the 937 French Tier 3 BB's sitting in que the day they went live.

Alpha Tester
937 posts
6,345 battles

Realtalk

The reason I play low tier ships is because it is fun and it is like a different game.  You get different maps and a different experience.  DDs are true torp botes and you don't have to fight for caps in the same way so it isn't as repetitive.  Low tier cruisers really aren't that fun although the Japanese have some good ones.

Big Race still one of the best maps in the game, in my opinion.  When I duel someone or test drive a ship, that is my map of choice.

[SAINT]
[SAINT]
Members
285 posts
9,590 battles
13 minutes ago, HyenaHiena said:

3th

4th. Time to dust the Aurora off

[DPG]
Members
816 posts
4,211 battles

Doubloons and premium time is probably their bread and butter,  Giving people a way to skip a large part of the lower tier grind gets them into those higher tiers faster, which is hardly sustainable, unless you never, ever lose.  In fact, I bought some more premium time when I get the Lyon mission in a container.  Now I'm up to the Alsace and I'm really enjoying that ship.  Guess what I"m going to be doing in about a week?  If you guessed buying more premium time, you'd be correct.

I also think that they wanted to dilute the tiers a bit so that there weren't huge clumps of BBs in the queue for lower tiers.

Members
4,442 posts
6,143 battles
9 minutes ago, Bolo_MkXX_Tremendous_DMD said:

Realtalk

The reason I play low tier ships is because it is fun and it is like a different game.  You get different maps and a different experience.  DDs are true torp botes and you don't have to fight for caps in the same way so it isn't as repetitive.  Low tier cruisers really aren't that fun although the Japanese have some good ones.

Big Race still one of the best maps in the game, in my opinion.  When I duel someone or test drive a ship, that is my map of choice.

I think 2 of the most fun cruisers (ships) in the whole game are tier 3 Bogatyr and St Louis. FUN!  Tier 4 I also consider a hoot. These ships existed but are from an earlier era. Not all just want to play WWII era ships.   Highest tier ship I got is Scharnhorst....it's also fun. One thing about low tiers is that you get to shoot a lot. Most of those cruisers just pump out the shells and there is a lotta fighting.  I think that is fun. Gameplay is not as bad as some seem to think IMO.  However I do see lots of BBs played poorly in those low tiers....just my opinion of course.

• Cool 1