You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Snargfargle

What Did Your Ancestor Do?

30 comments in this topic

[PSP]
Members
6,038 posts
8,580 battles

Great-great grandpa's unit, the 1st Arkansas Cavalry (Union).

lwBxlJI.jpg

Edited by Snargfargle

[POP]
Members
1,224 posts
8,023 battles

My granddad was on Attu Island when the Japanese invaded. He was awarded a bronze star for leading a flanking attack on the Japanese beachhead. 

He was injured (grenade shrapnel in the foot), but that counted as overseas combat duty, so he avoided the Pacific Islands campaign and Normandy. Instead he switched to paratrooper training and spent the rest of the war as a Drill Sergeant in Ft. Benning, GA. 

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,150 posts
8,766 battles

The first relative to come to the new world from France came as a mercenary hired by the King to help in New France in 1665.

[SOUP]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,314 posts

e-comm-transcona-litchie-supplied-Nov1.j
Sir Frederick Banting, great-uncle on my grandmother's side
Sir_Winston_Churchill___19086236948.0.jp

I forget exactly how but it's through some complicated marriage shenanigans

These are the only two big noteworthy names that you folks would care for, and I don't know a damn thing about the German side of the family so I could be related to Hitler for all I know.

[-BRS-]
Members
877 posts
7,315 battles

Well, the history that I knew for my family, was upended when I did that ancestry DNA test. At this point, I'm only sure that whoever my ancestors are, at least were fruitful and multiplied lol.

Alpha Tester
4,699 posts
2,401 battles
18 minutes ago, Chobittsu said:

Sir_Winston_Churchill___19086236948.0.jp

You're related to Gary Oldman? (jk)

As for the OP's question, the German side of my family came over around the time that Bismarck was waging war to form the German Confederation (late 1860s-early 1870s) They settled down in Huron-Perth County, Ontario and my grandparents on that side farmed there for years and years before selling it and moving to the suburbs in the 1970s or 80s. There's likely more to it, but it's buried somewhere within massive amounts of generic stuff.

My Dutch side of the family grew up just outside of Amsterdam. The earliest I've been able to trace my lineage there is to a duck blind circa 1700; The blind still exists and is owned by a distant relative of mine. I also still have lots of relatives in the Netherlands as well. My Opa came to Canada in 1948 working for a salvage company and spent a year in the Maritimes working there before heading back in 1952. It was then he met my Oma and they became close. After he returned to Canada, they exchanged letters for a year before she came over and they settled down in Strathroy. The rest, as they say, is history.

Members
321 posts
2,900 battles

Note: Generations in my are typically quite a bit longer that average, especially on my Dad's side.

Father's Side:

• My grandfather co-founded a seed company right before/during the Depression. He bought out his business partner's share after a dispute between the two. He proposed to my grandmother (the secretary) on a certain Sunday. His former business partner then became his father-in-law!
  • My grandfather was too young for WWI, and also missed out for WWII due to a combination of being too old, having health issues, and being in an industry that was crucial to the war effort. (His company hybridized corn.)
  • One of my uncles served on the USS Nautilus (SSN-571).
  • A trio of brothers immigrated to the Americas to serve in the U.S. Revolution. The farm that they got as payment is still in the family. They left Europe after one of them had got a woman pregnant (They were in school to become clergy at the time)

Mom's Side:

• My grandfather was a pastor and my grandmother was a schoolteacher. Last year, at one of my cousin's weddings, we counted 6 of my grandparents' children and grandchildren were engineers. (I'm in college to become #7 right now.)

[PSP]
Members
6,038 posts
8,580 battles
3 minutes ago, Cpt_Cupcake said:

Well, the history that I knew for my family, was upended when I did that ancestry DNA test. At this point, I'm only sure that whoever my ancestors are, at least were fruitful and multiplied lol.

Amazon sent me a "23 and Me" kit by mistake. I gave it to my niece. Rumor has it that the family has some Indian blood.  I know that several family lines are Indian but these are all cousins that married Indians. However, my Grandpa's Dad's name is one the early Dawes Rolls as a Cherokee but is not on later rolls. The family story is that his dad had him removed because at that time it was best if people didn't know you were an Indian.

Grandpa's cousin married this guy's daughter. He was a colonel in a Choctaw battalion for the CSA during the Civil War. After the war he served in the Choctaw senate and then was elected chief of the Choctaw Nation in the 1880s.

600px-J_f_mccurtain.jpg 

• Cool 1

[WOLF9]
[WOLF9]
Members
158 posts
3,471 battles

Sorry no pictures but my grandfather, trained as a civil engineer, helped rebuild the railways in France during WWI. 

Alpha Tester
4,699 posts
2,401 battles
1 minute ago, Snargfargle said:

Amazon sent me a "23 and Me" kit by mistake. I gave it to my niece. Rumor has it that the family has some Indian blood.  I know that several family lines are Indian but these are all cousins that married Indians. However, my Grandpa's Dad's name is one the early Dawes Rolls as a Cherokee but is not on later rolls. The family story is that his dad had him removed because at that time it was best if people didn't know you were an Indian.

Grandpa's cousin married this guy's daughter. He was a colonel in a Choctaw battalion for the CSA during the Civil War. After the war he served in the Choctaw senate and then was elected chief of the Choctaw Nation in the 1880s.

600px-J_f_mccurtain.jpg 

I'm guessing that's not a close enough relation to apply for status, is it?

[-BRS-]
Members
877 posts
7,315 battles
1 minute ago, Snargfargle said:

600px-J_f_mccurtain.jpg 

I was under the impression that I was primarily German with maybe 10% native American... I'm actually over 50% percent English, 45% Scottish and wales, with 5% Nigerian thrown in.

I feel my life has been a lie!!! lol.

1,266 posts
13 battles

These are some amazing backstories guys! Sadly, I don't know very much regarding family history, my grandparents are no longer living on my mother's side and I'm not very much in contact with my dad's side of the family, as they live out of state so I don't get to talk to them as often as i'd like. My parents never thought much to ask about family history, which is something that I regret.

[PSP]
Members
6,038 posts
8,580 battles
1 minute ago, 1Sherman said:

I'm guessing that's not a close enough relation to apply for status, is it?

I'm adopted so I'm out of luck. However, if grandpa was 1/4 Cherokee as is rumored, my brother and sister could get free hunting and fishing licenses, that is if an Indian tribe accepted them as Indian.

What's ironic is that there are some Cherokees that hid out during the "Train of Tears" removal and never got listed on any government rolls. Some of these families are still mostly Indian "by blood." However, whereas many  "official" Indians now may be as little as 1/32nd actual Indian, they are officially recognized as such wheres the one's whose ancestors hid aren't. 

[PSP]
Members
6,038 posts
8,580 battles
18 minutes ago, Cpt_Cupcake said:

I was under the impression that I was primarily German with maybe 10% native American... I'm actually over 50% percent English, 45% Scottish and wales, with 5% Nigerian thrown in.

I used to teach a genetics course in college. It's quite interesting how genes get reshuffled and recombined in offspring. It's also interesting how a certain phenotype (outward appearance) can be produced by different and only distantly related genotypes.

One interesting reshuffling happened when two parents both of mixed African and European ancestry produced daughters who looked like they came from completely different sets of parents. You can actually work the odds of this out by hand for the major genes involved using a Punnet square. They are slim but not zero.

hqdefault.jpg

Edited by Snargfargle

[POP]
Beta Testers
289 posts
10,443 battles

Well , grandpa was on a snargle hunt in the Andromeda galaxy, and found his soul mate in a dreef bar sipping void juice. She was a sassy little dancer. The rest is history. 

grandpa.png

grandma.jpg

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2

[RTXN]
Beta Testers
582 posts

One grandfather stationed on Nihau (northern Hawaiian Islands) with USCG.  Worked on early nav system (prior to Loran).  B-29's used it for guidance into Japan.  Later in life worked on the Apollo missions bringing down the video feed from moon landings. 

Have direct proof that the moon landings were NOT government conspiracies done in some studio in California.

[WOLF3]
Members
5,952 posts
2,203 battles
29 minutes ago, HowitzerBlitzer said:

My grandfather was a radio operator on an Mil-6, nothing too interesting... 

Not interesting?  That's a Russian chopter. 

And .. grandfather?  Are you 12?

Members
1,904 posts
2,492 battles
23 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

And .. grandfather?  Are you 12?

No, my grandfather is in his late 70's now, my parents are nearly in their 50's.

Edited by HowitzerBlitzer

Alpha Tester
4,699 posts
2,401 battles
5 hours ago, Cpt_Cupcake said:

I've always had indisputable proof as to what my background is; 50% Dutch, 50% German, that's all.

[EREKT]
Members
752 posts
5,761 battles
5 hours ago, jmanII said:

One grandfather stationed on Nihau (northern Hawaiian Islands) with USCG.  Worked on early nav system (prior to Loran).  B-29's used it for guidance into Japan.  Later in life worked on the Apollo missions bringing down the video feed from moon landings. 

Have direct proof that the moon landings were NOT government conspiracies done in some studio in California.

You know the gov lost all the recordings right? you might want to give them the proof back for the greatest achievement of mankind.

[REVY]
Members
6,014 posts
5,102 battles

The Chinese side of my family were landowners whom fled the Communists to Taiwan (not all of them got out), where they started a clothing factory.  My Polish grandmother kept the secret that she was born in Poland to her grave, my father only found out after she died.  My German ancestors have been running businesses in the States since after the Civil War, printing, air compressors, bicycles, and whatnot.  My ancestors really didn't do much, as far as I can tell, the last direct family ancestor with a military background was a Prussian Lancer, whom I have a cheaply made "photograph" of.

Supertester
5,220 posts
8,057 battles

I never knew exactly what my ancestors did, but i know my genetics are a bit complex.   

I know i am English/German/Spanish with some Scandinavian .     My grandfather on my mothers side served in the US navy in the 60's, and met my grandmother by accident lol

[EREKT]
Members
752 posts
5,761 battles

Great-great-great-great uncle(?). Batman (Bruce Wayne) and John wayne are named after him. We heard about it through my moms side, when we did the ancestry.com's DNA test, a Wayne actually showed up... He was George Washington's right hand man during the revolution. After that, he basically created a successful/permanent version of the US army in 1790 (after 2 failed attempts by other generals), and conquered the northwest territory (Ohio, michigan, illinois, wisconsin etc).

http://www.ushistory.org/valleyforge/served/wayne.html

You should read about his capture of the Stony point fortress in New york, pretty bad [edited]. He also had a critical role in the final battle where Cornwallis surrendered in the revolutionary war.

He also sent Lewis and Clark on their exploration journey.

EJ

3457664069_f3623f50aa_b.jpg