You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
kagero__

Idle thoughts over coffee...

19 comments in this topic

Members
126 posts
303 battles

It just occurred to me as I was sipping my coffee and reading some “What tier 10 should I grind?” thread that when the US cruiser line splits, anyone and everyone who owns a Cleveland will suddenly have access to tier 10 rentals for clan battles - Including people who have never played a game beyond tier six in their lives. Of course, I then had to consider that they will suddenly own a tier 8 ship and be at the mercy of a match maker that cares not for the player’s experience, or inexperience, as the case may be. Brutal. The harsh reality of it almost put me off my bagel.

Almost.

Edited by kagero__
Comma karma
  • Cool 2

[RIPQP]
Members
3,710 posts
14,567 battles

I will allow it.

Edited by m373x
  • Funny 1

[O_O]
Members
4,338 posts
9,312 battles

Players who have only gotten up to T6 with Cleveland will find themselves with a shiny new T8 Cleveland.  Have pity on these poor souls taking their very first steps into a T10 game with a USN T8 cruiser... :Smile_ohmy:

Edited by desmo_2

Members
8,085 posts
17,047 battles
10 minutes ago, desmo_2 said:

Players who have only gotten up to T6 with Cleveland will find themselves with a shiny new T8 Cleveland.  Have pity on these poor souls take their very first steps into a T10 game with a USN T8 cruiser... :Smile_ohmy:

lol

Of course, my own stupidity made things even worse; my effective jump was T3-T10...

Chester, St Louis, (fxp) Cleveland, (no usefully significant number of games) (fxp) Des Moines...

Ive regretted that ever since.

[ARGSY]
Members
5,868 posts
4,001 battles

This may be the rationale behind the Space Battles event, as fighting a battle in a Tier 6 ship is what gives you access to the Tier 10-derived "spaceships" of the same ship type. In effect, it is practice for Tier 6 players at handling Tier 10 ships, because they know that quite a few people are going to be in that boat soon (so to speak).

It may also be the reason why some of the maps we've been fighting space battles on are a sort that I've only ever seen in ranked battles and the occasional Clan Wars Youtube vid.

This makes me wonder if they aren't getting us ready for a cruiser split in patch 0.7.4 after all. This is why I am hustling so hard about grinding the Omaha, so that I don't have to spend precious Free XP a day or two before the split patch drops. That said, I would be equally as content for them to extend Space Battles until 0.7.5. I am having a LOT of fun with that mode, and I would be quite content for WG to stash the code for that away somewhere safe and bring it back at regular intervals.

• Cool 2

[ARRGG]
Members
4,681 posts
7,503 battles
1 hour ago, kagero__ said:

It just occurred to me as I was sipping my coffee and reading some “What tier 10 should I grind?” thread that when the US cruiser line splits, anyone and everyone who owns a Cleveland will suddenly have access to tier 10 rentals for clan battles - Including people who have never played a game beyond tier six in their lives. Of course, I then had to consider that they will suddenly own a tier 8 ship and be at the mercy of a match maker that cares not for the player’s experience, or inexperience, as the case may be. Brutal. The harsh reality of it almost put me off my bagel.

Almost.

E59D3A81-53EA-4019-89CE-C4EFED87C372.jpeg

[NSC]
[NSC]
Members
200 posts
3,885 battles
1 hour ago, kagero__ said:

suddenly have access to tier 10 rentals for clan battles

Clan Battles will likely be over before the split gets to the live server. They only started limited testing a couple weeks back.

[2347]
Members
178 posts
4,764 battles

It's the principle of the thing that matters, matey, don't lose the forest for the trees. One of the more common complaints about this game centers around players advancing too rapidly through the tiers. It's interesting.

[ARGSY]
Members
5,868 posts
4,001 battles
2 hours ago, kagero__ said:

anyone and everyone who owns a Cleveland will suddenly have access to tier 10 rentals for clan battles - Including people who have never played a game beyond tier six in their lives. Of course, I then had to consider that they will suddenly own a tier 8 ship and be at the mercy of a match maker that cares not for the player’s experience, or inexperience, as the case may be.

I just realised that actually it's worse than that. Some of them would have JUST got their Cleveland in time for the split. They might never have played a game in their life above Tier FIVE. And clan hires or not, if they're in the New Cleveland they are going to face Tier X.

[ARGSY]
Members
5,868 posts
4,001 battles
4 minutes ago, xXxRCADDICT said:

Well  this thread is depressing.....................:Smile_hiding:

You need to get into the spirit of Schadenfreude. You are about to witness new vistas of seal clubbing (and an endless new source of salt).

• Cool 1

[JUICE]
Members
814 posts
6,369 battles
Just now, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

You need to get into the spirit of Schadenfreude. You are about to witness new vistas of seal clubbing (and an endless new source of salt).

With the way my luck has been going  they will end up on my team 90% of the time.

[ARGSY]
Members
5,868 posts
4,001 battles
Just now, xXxRCADDICT said:

With the way my luck has been going  they will end up on my team 90% of the time.

Oh.

Yeah, there's that.

But think, the alternative you in the alternative timeline gets 90% seal-clubbing glory and a Kraken, High Calibre and Confederate games. So you are doing them a favour... :Smile_teethhappy:

[WOLF5]
Members
1,140 posts
8,303 battles

I mean, the same thing happened with the Bismarck campaign and with the ARP Takao campaign - both of which, if I recall correctly, could be completed with tier 6 if not below that.  I do specifically remember that when I earned my Takao I didn't have a main line T8 cruiser yet (and so mothballed it for a bit out of a sense of propriety).  That said, both are probably more forgiving ships than the new T8 Cleveland is going to be.

[TBW]
Members
6,354 posts
11,905 battles

I worked my way to tier 10 but still can't do well with them, or at least most of them.

[LUCK]
Members
1,278 posts
19,115 battles
1 hour ago, _Starbuck said:

It's the principle of the thing that matters, matey, don't lose the forest for the trees. One of the more common complaints about this game centers around players advancing too rapidly through the tiers. It's interesting.

Coming from someone who rushed down various lines like a meathead, I wish I had not but what's done is done.

I encourage anyone who is doing this currently to slow down unless you're having success then keep it up.

[TBOW]
[TBOW]
Members
1,134 posts
10,061 battles

Right now the general level of play at Tier 6 is superior to that at Tier 10. Where Tier 6 players at least try to group up and kill ships, a lot of high tier players just phone it in, if that. 

Beta Testers
236 posts
5,822 battles

I remember 5 or 6 years ago when I was grinding up tiers in World of Tanks and was at tier 5 tops and joined clan and then purchased SuperPersing to play Clan Wars. I got a rude awaking playing clan wars and it drove my to go back and grind up tiers right and learn more about how to play the game. However, for Warships I was a closed beta tester so I got to learn how to play the game before most so never got feeling I bite off more than I could chew.

[HELLS]
Members
1,695 posts
15,353 battles

I have 5 T10s that I ground for the hard way. If the newbies show up in a T8 Cleveland in a T10 game, they'll learn....the hard way!