You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
_TheEntireUniverse_

Should a destroyer ever use AP?

50 comments in this topic

[VVV]
[VVV]
Members
681 posts
10,348 battles

I occasionally use AP against broadside cruisers gotten a few citadels too 

• Cool 1

[RIPQP]
Members
42 posts
7,253 battles

Oh yeah, definitely. If you run up against a broadside BB at close range, aim for the bow and stern. Can get some pretty good salvos in.

[INTEL]
Members
748 posts
7,913 battles

Get a UK cruiser broadside at under 9km and watch the Cits ring up like a pinball machine. 

[ARGSY]
Members
5,802 posts
3,974 battles

I have citadel shot British cruisers even with US destroyer HE, so it does have a place at the right range and versus the right ships, preferably directly broadside on.

[HINON]
Supertester
18,957 posts
12,479 battles

At close range against broadside CLs DD AP can be murderous.

• Cool 3

Members
2,120 posts
4,735 battles

I'm not a DD player, but using AP in a destroyer can be a viable choice at times. Cruisers such as RN line are very thinly armored, and can be citadeled if they show their side. You could also try to pen the superstructures (correct me if I am wrong) of broadside battleships, but I'm not sure if you'd always get consistent damage.

[TF-64]
Members
364 posts
12,595 battles

I've wrecked most CLs, Pensacola's, aobas with AP from DDs. Knife fights usually end up being too twisty for good AP damage for me but I've seen it used against players to good effect before as well. If you end up too close to a BB aim for the superstructure and you can do well sometimes as well.y suggestion is play with it and see where it works for you. It will pay off to know when it works for you. 

[TF16B]
Members
8,065 posts
17,029 battles
12 minutes ago, yamato6945 said:

I occasionally use AP against broadside cruisers gotten a few citadels too.

10 minutes ago, Ares1967 said:

Get a UK cruiser broadside at under 9km and watch the Cits ring up like a pinball machine. 

8 minutes ago, Lert said:

I add a most definitive yes to all of the above.

HE is of course a destroyer’s ‘go-to’ shell type in most situations; but broadsided cruisers? Especially inside 5k, or perhaps a bit more? You can rip up certain cruisers pretty quick like that. Low tiers would be Clemson’s vs Omahas or Kumas; further up my Gaede hammered an Atlanta to bits inside 4k once; and Lord help some of the higher tier cruisers that let a Khab get close... :Smile_ohmy:

8 minutes ago, Zionas said:

I'm not a DD player, but using AP in a destroyer can be a viable choice at times. Cruisers such as RN line are very thinly armored, and can be citadeled if they show their side. You could also try to pen the superstructures (correct me if I am wrong) of broadside battleships, but I'm not sure if you'd always get consistent damage.

Back before IFHE really became big; firing AP into superstructures was Akizuki’s bread and butter; and it uses a dinky 100mm shell. I’ve personally made GkFs curse me out in chat doing that. Destroyers with bigger guns should be able to do better in terms of individual hits, if not volume of fire.

• Cool 1

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
9,056 posts
7,611 battles
28 minutes ago, _TheEntireUniverse_ said:

For example, should I be using AP in duels with other DDs? Or just spam HE always?

It depends on the destroyer you're facing, what range and angle they are and what guns you're firing.  For example, USN 127mm/38s have a very long fuse timer which makes their AP shells great for hitting the citadel of select cruisers at close ranges but they don't work especially well against DDs as they tend to (but don't always ) over penetrate. 

• Cool 3

Beta Testers
1,143 posts
3,273 battles

I have completely wrecked a Broadside Neptune in my Atlanta with AP. And while 'lanta is a CL she is rocking DD weapons. 

So if you're shooting at a CL, that's within effective Torpedo Ranges (>10.0km), IF the broadside is flat enough your AP will do significant work. 

Not sure about the sub 127mm calibre guns, but the +127s are punchy if the target is flat enough with relatively low armour. 

[DIEBL]
Members
1,413 posts
14,279 battles

Yes u can on DD if they broadside but it is better to just use HE to break torps and guns on cruisers and bb a big YES when in closer proximity hit the right spots and you will be surprised.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,783 posts
14,864 battles
42 minutes ago, yamato6945 said:

I occasionally use AP against broadside cruisers gotten a few citadels too 

This.

39 minutes ago, Lert said:

This.

22 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

I add a most definitive yes to all of the above.

This too.

AP will absolutely wreck light cruisers who are broadside and close, though for the extra effects of the fires I stick with HE against BBs, and against CVs I get more citadels with HE than AP because of their crap armor.

[SALVO]
Members
16,627 posts
17,300 battles
54 minutes ago, _TheEntireUniverse_ said:

For example, should I be using AP in duels with other DDs? Or just spam HE always?

Absolutely yes!!!!  I will say that it's situational, but never be afraid to try it out with any DD just to see how you do.

Just tonight, I was in my Chung Mu, which is just a PA Fletcher with DWTs.  And I was in a gun duel with a Khab.  I immediately switched to AP and started taking fairly decent chunks out of him.  I switched to HE just to see if I could do better, and I did much less damage, so it was back to AP.  And I was able to finish him off, with the help of others.

I now strongly promote the use of AP in USN DDs (and the high tier USN DDs in the PA line) against enemy BBs at longer ranges, say around 8+ km, where your shells start plunging more and you get much better damage production than you do with HE.  HE is OK in those USN DDs vs BBs if you're shooting at BBs that are angled at long ranges where you're fairly uncertain of your accuracy, and getting a fire might be your best case scenario.  But if you're shooting at an enemy BB (probably from smoke) at a bit less extreme range and have a good clean broadside at 8+ km, use that AP!!!

I also use my AP in my German DDs in DD v DD gun duels because most of the time you seem to get better damage than you would with HE.   

And Russian DD AP is quite good when you get broadside targets.  But their HE is pretty good too, so you need to be situational in your ammo choice.  

The takeaway from this should be to not be afraid to experiment with ammo choice in DDs to see what works in what situations, so that you can see all this for yourself and learn from the experience.

Alpha Tester
3,334 posts
3,779 battles

Yes, absolutely, there's a huge set of situations where destroyers should use AP instead of HE. I will stop there because I don't want all the destroyers in the world to figure this out.

[SKDSH]
[SKDSH]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,979 posts
9,855 battles
25 minutes ago, Umikami said:

This.

This.

This too.

AP will absolutely wreck light cruisers who are broadside and close, though for the extra effects of the fires I stick with HE against BBs, and against CVs I get more citadels with HE than AP because of their crap armor.

I definitely use it against most tier 4 and 5 cruisers when I am in my Ok Nik .

:Smile_honoring:

Beta Testers
1,143 posts
3,273 battles

In knife-fights if the the DD is full broadside or shallow-angling then AP depending on calibre and how wide the ship is will yield great results. 

I was in my Harekaze a few weeks back and almost wrecked a full HP Khabarovsk with 10cm AP. It got away with 500hp since I got hit with a huge frame rate drop and ate his Torpedoes... knew they were coming, but didn't anticipate the massive drop in connectivity. 

[VIP-2]
Members
804 posts
2,827 battles

There are few (if any) cases where one can say only ____ can only fire ____ against ___.

DD AP is good at low and mid distances against cruisers, broadsides are best. Against BB at mid to close when fired into the superstructure, or if lower tiered bb than you, perhaps into the side of bow/stern area. Rarley do you want to fire AP at other DDs, but, when shooting through the length of the ship, and especially when they have larger HP of their tier.

Ultimately the reasons for ammo selection are best when you know your pen ability, and how much armor your opponent has that is facing your shells, and if you want to disable something in particular. There is enough variation in ammo, guns, distance, angle and armor to permit almost anything to be damaged somehow.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,723 posts
11,347 battles

Yes to AP. Mostly against broadside cruisers, but other situations are out there.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,783 posts
14,864 battles
57 minutes ago, Chien_Lu_Anderman said:

I definitely use it against most tier 4 and 5 cruisers when I am in my Ok Nik .

:Smile_honoring:

Okhotnik is a very good example; Russian AP works very well indeed.

[XBRTC]
Members
1,202 posts
7,185 battles

I use Khab AP anytime I find something broadside on to me. I've taken >4k from a T10 BB in a single double-click. 

• Cool 1

[-AGW-]
Members
637 posts
9,330 battles
3 hours ago, Ares1967 said:

It's true. I never realized this, but I'm in my Farragut sitting in smoke shooting at an Emerald with AP by mistake and there come the citadels. It was hilarious.