Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu

I am seeing this more and more often

60 comments in this topic

Members
2,120 posts
4,735 battles

BOTH teams either camping / sniping or running away / evading for the entire match. It makes for a poor gaming experience especially when you're in a slow ship like a dreadnought, but it sucks in any ship really (perhaps with the exception of CVs). It's not the way I remember things were, they were better back in early 2017. At that time I saw more pushing. This kind of gameplay that I'm describing is now the norm even at mid-tier, which coupled with the already atrocious Tier 5 and 6 matchmaking, results in seething rage at times.

• Cool 5
  • Bad 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,334 posts
9,415 battles

As opposed to me ramming an aircraft carrier to end the battle (in the picture)...

This replay is nice - and the most entertaining mission I've had in years.

Mar_31_18_KG5_Kraken_A.jpg

20180331_154708_PBSB107-King-George-V_42_Neighbors.wowsreplay

[RKLES]
Members
7,101 posts
8,757 battles

Is this weekends or all the time? Also it still is Spring Break which might be affecting things. Worst gameplay I ever say was Soring Break weeks in 2017, so would not expect great things at the moment. Even Summer Cacation was better than Spring Break last year. 

Sometimes though you have a ship push too far and too fast early on and it scares the rest of the team, if the team moves in 1 or 2 large groups then they are typically more that willing to steam roll right in, even into the enemy base if allowed to get that far with ease.

Edited by Admiral_Thrawn_1

Members
5,579 posts
3,952 battles

This is what happens when people become preoccupied with stats and performance: they play like complete losers.

• Cool 6
  • Funny 1

Members
2,120 posts
4,735 battles

I care about my stats to a degree and according to WT I am barely blue, but..... I'm sure you'd all understand how I feel when I am left to do all the dirty work while the rest of the team chickens out. Recently I've been on a number of teams where I was the last one alive. Those players that sit in the back get taken out anyway, sooner or later. I'm being forced to be less "pushy" in battleships, which I'm not used to, and many battleships aren't effective unless they get into like around 60% of their maximum range, perhaps even closer.

Edited by Zionas
  • Cool 1

Members
5,579 posts
3,952 battles
Just now, Zionas said:

I care about my stats to a degree and according to WT I am barely blue, but..... I'm sure you'd all understand how I feel when I am left to do all the dirty work while the rest of the team chickens out. Recently I've been on a number of teams where I was the last one alive.

It's specifically the idea that one should be "farming damage."

Members
2,120 posts
4,735 battles

If we talk about farming damage, I had a match last night in the Nelson where I ended up with 104k damage, my team only managed to sink 5 ships, and 2 were sunk by me and a third one was nearly sunk by me. What's astonishing was that the CV provided me with no air cover whatsoever, the BBs and CAs on my team were brain dead. Saw a Colorado firing HE at a full broadside enemy CA 10-11km away. What's even MORE astonishing was that I ended up fourth place on the team, I thought #1 or #2 was guaranteed. No, the top 3 were not DDs. I thought I pulled my weight and did the most damage on my team, but....... I don't know what happened to the scoring because I can't possibly see how those 'damage farmers' could have dealt more damage than me.

When it comes to holidays, I think average players like me are the ones that suffer the most. We certainly aren't burdens to our teams and we can pull of fine performances from time to time, but we're nowhere NEAR the skill level required for constantly carrying matches. Why do average players suffer even more than the bad players? It's because we have attained a certain level of performance but not quite enough to turn the tide, so we're still dependent on external factors to a degree, but we know enough to separate ourselves from the "kids."

Edited by Zionas

Members
1,119 posts
3,141 battles

I actually had the closest game of warships I've ever played last night. Both teams coordinated and played very well. We were able to get a cap advantage but couldn't finish off their battleship to win the game. It ended in a draw, but it reminded me just how much fun a game can be when there are no potatoes on either team. I'd rather take a draw like that than have a complete stomp. 

Members
5,579 posts
3,952 battles

I kind of like playing with and against potatoes. At least they move forward.

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

Maybe if the random battles were sized reduced from 12 v 12 to 9 v 9.

Maybe if each individual was assigned a personal mission at the beginning of the battle, Do this to qualify for extra rewards. {Fail and receive 1/2 the normal exp and credit}

Succeed in your mission get another ect. ect.

Getting orders from command {WG} like in Operations. {You may be the Captain of your ship but your not the Fleet Commander} Follow orders.

• Cool 2

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,019 posts
11,539 battles
23 minutes ago, Elegant_Winter said:

This is what happens when people become preoccupied with stats and performance: they play like complete losers.

No, this is what happens when people are too afraid to make mistakes.

[TF16B]
Members
8,063 posts
16,998 battles
3 minutes ago, crzyhawk said:

No, this is what happens when people are too afraid to make mistakes.

If I have and kind of complexes related to this; I blame it at least in part on playing Tanks.

(redacted) stat farmers with their lunatic numbers of games and maxed out crews running around one-shotting new players just trying to learn the game quickly enforces a sense of inferiority, risk averse gameplay, and gunshyness.

I suppose I don’t completely regret playing Tanks; I did occasionally have fun, and got to use some familiar tanks; but none of that makes up for watching my tank get one-shotted again and again and not being able to do anything no matter what I tried.

I haven’t played Tanks in nearly four months.

I wish I could have back all the time and money that now seems wasted on Tanks.

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,291 battles
37 minutes ago, Zionas said:

I care about my stats to a degree and according to WT I am barely blue, but..... I'm sure you'd all understand how I feel when I am left to do all the dirty work while the rest of the team chickens out. Recently I've been on a number of teams where I was the last one alive. Those players that sit in the back get taken out anyway, sooner or later. I'm being forced to be less "pushy" in battleships, which I'm not used to, and many battleships aren't effective unless they get into like around 60% of their maximum range, perhaps even closer.

Depends on what you mean by "many".  Some are like this, yes.  German BBs in particular.  "Many" is a little too vague for my taste, in this instance. 

I think that some BBs are best used in the mid range, basically starting at outside of what your enemy's secondary range is, IMO.  If you're taking secondary fire from an enemy BB, then you're definitely NOT in the mid range.  USN BBs are good mid range BBs, for example.

Some are best in close, by which I'll define as within their secondary range.  German BBs are the obvious example of good close range BBs, aka brawlers.

And a few are best used at long ranges.  I prefer staying at longer ranges, at least early on, in HE spamming RN BBs, particularly when I'm not top tier.  HE and fires are best used as longer ranged attacks because you require time for those DoT attacks to do their work.

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,291 battles
7 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

If I have and kind of complexes related to this; I blame it at least in part on playing Tanks.

(redacted) stat farmers with their lunatic numbers of games and maxed out crews running around one-shotting new players just trying to learn the game quickly enforces a sense of inferiority, risk averse gameplay, and gunshyness.

I suppose I don’t completely regret playing Tanks; I did occasionally have fun, and got to use some familiar tanks; but none of that makes up for watching my tank get one-shotted again and again and not being able to do anything no matter what I tried.

I haven’t played Tanks in nearly four months.

I wish I could have back all the time and money that now seems wasted on Tanks.

For what it's worth, Prophet, I'd suggest going back and playing a few games in tanks, if only just for the experience.  WoT1.0 looks freaking AMAZING!!!  Even if the game play itself really hasn't changed any.  I think that it's worth it just to experience how amazingly beautiful the HD maps truly are.

Beta Testers
1,291 posts
3,583 battles

destroyers in greater numbers encourage more passive gameplay that could be one reason for why we are seeing this. We will have to see what happens when Ashiao releases as well 20km deep water torps at tier 8.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,019 posts
11,539 battles

Destroyers have little to nothing to do with this.  People are afraid to take damage period.  Ive been in games with no DDs, and the BBs still hide with pride.  People get trashed too easily if they are closer.

Members
3,553 posts
6,867 battles
1 hour ago, Elegant_Winter said:

Agree. I say ban consistent low scorers to the boonies, erm Coop, for 10 battles or so until they display some sort of courage and drive.

Members
9,434 posts
11,601 battles

heck, I've been in coop and  BB players still hide behind island.  lol.     

[TF16B]
Members
8,063 posts
16,998 battles
3 minutes ago, crzyhawk said:

Destroyers have little to nothing to do with this.  People are afraid to take damage period.  Ive been in games with no DDs, and the BBs still hide with pride.  People get trashed too easily if they are closer.

I think this shows up in one kind of way...

’God i sucked... Wait; I’m first place??? SERIOUSLY???’

2 minutes ago, centarina said:

heck, I've been in coop and  BB players still hide behind island.  lol.     

I abuse this tactic mercilessly in destroyers... Use my allies as spotters, hide in my destroyer until the bots are too close to really dodge; then torp them to death.

Members
4,451 posts
6,152 battles

4 years here....no change. None really. WoT, WoWs ....same. Just accept it. Not many unicorns......most are casual....and that is fine in a free to play game.

Members
751 posts
6,800 battles
1 hour ago, Zionas said:

What's even MORE astonishing was that I ended up fourth place on the team, I thought #1 or #2 was guaranteed. No, the top 3 were not DDs. I thought I pulled my weight and did the most damage on my team, but....... I don't know what happened to the scoring because I can't possibly see how those 'damage farmers' could have dealt more damage than me.

AFAIK the damage to XP calculation works on percentages rather than raw damage - you get more for doing 15k damage to a DD compared to 15k damage to a battleship for example.

1 hour ago, Zionas said:

When it comes to holidays, I think average players like me are the ones that suffer the most. We certainly aren't burdens to our teams and we can pull of fine performances from time to time, but we're nowhere NEAR the skill level required for constantly carrying matches. Why do average players suffer even more than the bad players? It's because we have attained a certain level of performance but not quite enough to turn the tide, so we're still dependent on external factors to a degree, but we know enough to separate ourselves from the "kids."

Bad players are used to it and most don't even think that they are bad..  it's the best explanation I can think of for how many times i've seen a cruiser trading shots with a BB at 8kms while sitting side on at 1/4 speed.

[HEROS]
Members
1,400 posts
11,820 battles

It IS bad.. and getting more common.  I'm to the point that during prime time some days I log off the US servers and go play on the RU servers..

(not only are their more players, the internet connect to the servers in St Petersburg is a lot more stable.. and I'm in California.. less packet drops etc.. the us net utterly stinks these days and it's going to get worse as ISP's start playing favorites)

I'm to the point I'm thankful for long mission load times.  I load in a minute to 2 minutes late, I'm not the first DD to the cap, and I can now see what the BB's and cruisers on the team are doing or not doing... usually not doing.   I am a good player these days but not sufficiently good to carry a team afraid to be aggressive.

SO yea, just try to develop coping mechanisms for it because unless folks get some serious motivation to play differently it's just gonna become more and more common just as it has been.

Maybe some tweaking to the reward structure on maybe XP and cash boost just for operating on the enemy side of the map might motivate folks.  I don't know.. but I sure see a lot of it and I gotta wonder where is the fun in that sort of play style.  Gaming on the net 3 plus decades most of it PvP.. that is NOT "Fun and Engaging"

Members
2,120 posts
4,735 battles

What's really annoying is, when I see more and more of these enemy ships make absolutely horrible plays such as slowing down or reversing in the middle of a crossfire, my aim is often screwed up because i don't EXPECT players to do such a thing. I always assume they know better than that. I've been playing the game on and off, and this kind of meta just saps my will to play. It's gotten to the point where, at least for me, it's no longer just me or the ship. No matter how hard I try, the sheer incompetency of many teams I've been on just dilutes, no, nullifies the effect of a half-decent player. I can get a Confederate in a match and still lose because my team gets taken out like sitting ducks. Happened in a French battleship 2 weeks ago. Shards is one of those maps I absolutely detest. Horray! Let's go hide behind that big island and wait to be slaughtered! I'm not talking about being suicidal, but how can one expect to play a combat-oriented, arcade-style shooting game and not expect to die or take damage?

Just being a 'casual' player doesn't necessarily correlate to a lack of ability, at least in my view. I'm not 'hardcore' to the degree of these Youtube streamers or some of you here, I'd consider myself a 'core' kind of player that wants to do well enough. I'm starting to think that a lot of players just want to drive ships around and fire guns. It took me 1,000-1,200 battles to become green, and this is my first shooting game. It's a genre I'm frankly not good at due to my below average reflexes and situational / spatial awareness, but I keep trying and I don't think anyone would now consider me an all-around bad player. Apart from the 'I play for fun crowd', which, if we go by their definition of 'fun', can be quite self-centered depending on who you ask, but don't we all play for fun? And I guess for the majority of us it's not fun to keep losing, sometimes without even achieving much. Apart from this, many of the maps are simply too big (high tier) and a chore to navigate. Big maps+passiveness, we have a combo that kills enjoyment.

Edited by Zionas

Sign in to follow this