You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
ImperiumDylan

How do you think Austro Hungarian battleships would of looked like if Austro Hungary was in the 1940's

9 comments in this topic

Members
35 posts
448 battles

I think if Austro Hungary was in the 1940's their battleships would look a little like the Japanese, German, or British battleships.

• Boring 1

[ARGSY]
Members
5,802 posts
3,966 battles

This post more properly belongs in the "Historical Discussions and Studies" thread.

I think if the Austro-Hungarian Empire had survived the First World War, it would have done so in a weakened state - much like Italy, if not worse - and I suspect we might have seen either a devolution to heavy (8-inch) cruisers as their heaviest units or an emphasis on refurbishment of existing dreadnoughts (in the manner the Italians did it) rather than new construction.

Remember also that Austria-Hungary was on the losing side, and if it had not been utterly dismembered it might have found itself facing similar limitations on its naval construction to those of its partner, Germany, with similar responses from the designers. 

I'll take a brave stab and suggest shrunken Bismarcks with 11-inch guns (a la Scharnhorst) instead of 15 inch, or perhaps cropped Scharnhorsts with only two guns per turret, and Scharnhorst-like secondary gun fits.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

Members
3,554 posts
6,867 battles

Viribus Unitis was one of the first dreadnoughts to use 4 triple gun turrets and I imagine her ships would have been up to German standards at least had the dual monarchy survived to WW II.

5ac00a5d051f2_ViribusUnitis3.jpg.533b20e652a55afb94f0d5184ff95769.jpg

[ARGSY]
Members
1,267 posts
8,704 battles

I'm suddenly yearning for a good night of Diplomacy play...

[ARGSY]
Members
1,267 posts
8,704 battles

I will add that I am the only Diplomacy play to ever live who actually LIKES playing as Austro-Hungary. It makes me a very popular guy in such circles. 

Dear God, I've wasted my life...

[S0L0]
Beta Testers
477 posts
3,550 battles

Would have assume A-H was either on the winning side of WWI or somehow remained intact.  Post war neither country had a port, both completely land-locked

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,298 battles
3 hours ago, ImperiumDylan said:

I think if Austro Hungary was in the 1940's their battleships would look a little like the Japanese, German, or British battleships.

For crying out loud, Dylan.  There's no such thing as "would of".  It's "would have".

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,683 posts
10,011 battles

Well, A-H had major internal issues even before WWI and even if it managed to maintain it's territory in a no-Versailles alternate history I'd expect it to be greatly weakened, dropping from 'still almost a great power if you look at it' to distinctly second rate.

I would therefore expect it to have a weak fleet. If it had been included in any WNT/LNT deliberations I would not expect a major allocation and would not expect it to be able to fill it even then.

What that fleet would look like would probably be decided by her likely opponents. My knowledge of A-H history is fairly limited but her major involvement in WWI was with Italy in the south and Russia to the east. Given there is no body of water connecting A-H to Russia and that a Russian Mediterranean presence is unlikely it would be plausible that any fleet was aimed at Italy across the Adriatic. Depending on the alternative peace settlement it could be that A-H would feel some grievance with for instance Trieste annexed by Italy, and that could be a consideration. Though the down side of that line would be that Trieste seems to have been the biggest A-H shipyard - where 3 of 4 Tegethoff's were built.

Assuming A-H had some capacity to build ships (one Tegethoff was built in Fiume and that city could have remained A-H) then littoral operations around the Adriatic seem likely, with 4 Cavour and Duilio class Dreadnoughts vs. A-H's two remaining (and inferior) Tegetthoff class ships fighting Dreadnought to Dreadnought or trying for a Dreadnought rebuild race seems implausible. Perhaps coastal defense ships in the line of the Norwegian and Swedish examples rather than full on battleships would be considered. Given France and Italy's 'big big destroyer' race A-H could have done similarly, as Yugoslavia did with the large Dubrovnik.

If a rich (enough) A-H did attempt to build a 'Treaty Battleship' in the vein of the Litorrio, Richelieu, KGV, North Carolina etc. I suspect something with a lot of German influence would be probable, and given previous ships an inclination toward heavy main armament is likely. Beyond that there are so many factors I can't try to guess. In the same vein as the Deutschland-Dunkerque-Scharnhorst-Richelieu-Litorrio/Bismarck arms race it might be possible that they'd try and build something competitive with the Litorrios.