You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Grey_Paladin

Two Questions on DD Construction

10 comments in this topic

[NFFS]
Members
26 posts
3,720 battles

Good Afternoon!  Just two quick questions that have had me wondering for a while.

On most DD's and a few CA/CL's there is a 'cowcatcher' construction near the stern of the ship.  It is the rounded/angular (depending on nation) item attached to the sides  that looks much the the front of an old steam train.  What is the purpose of that?  I have come up with several theories, like fending off a dock when leaving, but would like some more information.

On some of the interwar DD's like the Gallant, the Leningrad, the American and the German DD's there is a raised platform above the 'A' turret and below the 'B' turret.  What is the purpose of that?  Is it to shed water from breaking waves?

Many thanks!

[-BRS-]
Members
1,605 posts
13,183 battles

It's to protect the propellers which protrude further than the side of the ship in dock or tugs and such team players ramming you

I'm on my phone so I can't  look  but I think the platforms you're talking  on the second and third turret is to protect the gun Crews below from Flashfire and concussion

Edited by silverdahc

Beta Testers
1,012 posts
13,566 battles
17 minutes ago, Grey_Paladin said:

Good Afternoon!  Just two quick questions that have had me wondering for a while.

On most DD's and a few CA/CL's there is a 'cowcatcher' construction near the stern of the ship.  It is the rounded/angular (depending on nation) item attached to the sides  that looks much the the front of an old steam train.  What is the purpose of that?  I have come up with several theories, like fending off a dock when leaving, but would like some more information.

On some of the interwar DD's like the Gallant, the Leningrad, the American and the German DD's there is a raised platform above the 'A' turret and below the 'B' turret.  What is the purpose of that?  Is it to shed water from breaking waves?

Many thanks!

The platform looks as if it was designed to protect the lower turret from the muzzle blast of the turret above.

gallant.JPG

[HINON]
Supertester
18,912 posts
12,446 battles

Do you mean these?

qggYXMz.jpg

The structure circled at the back is to protect the props. The hull is narrower than the props and the racks serve to stand the hull off from any other ships or piers the ship might dock alongside.

The platform at the front is more to protect the crew of #1 turret from the muzzle blast of #2 turret, though it does also catch sea spray and keep #2 turret clear of that.

<Edit> Ninja'd.

• Cool 1

[NFFS]
Members
26 posts
3,720 battles

Okay, that makes quite a bit of sense, now.  I didn't know the hull was actually narrower than the props.

The old turrets were open in the back, so I see what they did there.  It also explains why those platforms were heavily reinforced on the bottom, not the top.  Many thanks!

[RKLES]
Members
7,101 posts
8,751 battles
22 minutes ago, Lert said:

Do you mean these?

qggYXMz.jpg

The structure circled at the back is to protect the props. The hull is narrower than the props and the racks serve to stand the hull off from any other ships or piers the ship might dock alongside.

The platform at the front is more to protect the crew of #1 turret from the muzzle blast of #2 turret, though it does also catch sea spray and keep #2 turret clear of that.

<Edit> Ninja'd.

Aren’t the rear brackets ( aside from helping protect propellors which I had not considered before) also used for towing the Paravanes used in Mine Sweeping? Pretty much all of our DDs and even some CAs have multiple Paravanes stored  various places out on decks, so that is why I had asumed was the main purpose the rear brackets were used for...

[HINON]
Supertester
18,912 posts
12,446 battles
Just now, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Aren’t the rear brackets ( aside from helping protect propellors which I had not considered before) also used for towing the Paravanes used in Mine Sweeping?

I honestly don't know, but if they are it's incidental use and not their intended purpose. I'd suspect they'd use any of the deck mounted hardpoints or actual winches to tow paravanes though, easier access than having to lean over the edge to access the platform / bracket.

[RKLES]
Members
7,101 posts
8,751 battles
16 minutes ago, Lert said:

I honestly don't know, but if they are it's incidental use and not their intended purpose. I'd suspect they'd use any of the deck mounted hardpoints or actual winches to tow paravanes though, easier access than having to lean over the edge to access the platform / bracket.

Looks like you are right, found some info that shows Paravanes can even be used mounted off the bow.

8EE7CCFC-4DA5-4751-A8AD-3A87E881DD5E.thumb.jpeg.150c1c3ebe6b7150556f1d843d038c86.jpeg

Chains hanging off bow are for the Paravanes.

FFBEBA3F-FAE5-41E3-9CAC-1F9DECE7F706.thumb.jpeg.15296865371c27aaa877adfbf0145fa3.jpeg

[NFFS]
Members
26 posts
3,720 battles

My father was on a minesweeper in the 1950's - the USS Exploit.  The only ship in the Navy that had the option to run away if they met the enemy. 

You see, the ship was made of wood to prevent setting off magnetic mines.  The engines were aluminum blocks, if I remember him correctly.  Their primary armament was a single 40mm, mostly to put holes in mines if they floated to the surface.  A couple of 50 cals to help.

I am pretty sure they used booms and winches when the sweeps were out.

• Cool 1

[RTXN]
Beta Testers
582 posts
2 hours ago, Grey_Paladin said:

Many thanks!

1.  The brackets main purpose was to protect the propellers (if they protruded from the side of the ship) from quay wall damage while docking, things being dropped over the side (cargo and man overboard - to give him a chance to survive) and yes the additional purpose of limiting collision damage.  If there is a collision, I suspect that there is going to be more damage than just your props, you are going to have more problems than just that!

2.  The raised portion is to:

1. Shield the loader from muzzle blast of the upper gun

2. Break up large waves in heavy seas before they get to the pilot house and the additional more sensitive tophammer (radars and other sensors).  You will only sea this on smaller vessels as larger vessels have more     freeboard forward to accomplish this task and the sensitive areas are much higher. 

3. It creates a gunnery cutout so you don't shoot into your bow.

1 hour ago, Grey_Paladin said:

My father was on a minesweeper in the 1950's - the USS Exploit.  The only ship in the Navy that had the option to run away if they met the enemy. 

You see, the ship was made of wood to prevent setting off magnetic mines.  The engines were aluminum blocks, if I remember him correctly.  Their primary armament was a single 40mm, mostly to put holes in mines if they floated to the surface.  A couple of 50 cals to help.

I am pretty sure they used booms and winches when the sweeps were out.

Mineship hulls are made of wood - and GRP (Glass reinforced plastic) to limit the ship signature over influence mines (see Avenger and Osprey class ships).  They also have more powerful degaussing cables and non-ferrous metal engines for this purpose.  Sweeping is an option for sea mines but in todays fleet, they would rather hunt the mines with ROV's as not to put the ship in danger.  They use MH-53 helicopters towing sonar to locate a possible mines then deploy the ships and EOD to prosecute the contact.

Standard practice is NOT to shoot the mines as they then become submerged mines (if they do not sink to the bottom) when they part way fill with water.  Easier is to cut a moored mine cable, float it to the surface and deploy EOD to neutralize it.

Image result for minesweeping diagram

They do use booms and winches when sweeping - but it is rarely used anymore.  The saying is "Hunt when you can, sweep if you must".  Hunting being with the ROV submarine deploying a mission package with explosive and blow it next to the mine resulting in a sympathetic detonation.