You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Combined_Fleet_HQ

VIII is getting some love

28 comments in this topic

Members
1,145 posts
4,192 battles

Hipper:

German cruiser Admiral Hipper received faster base rudder shift (9.2 s instead of 10.7 s) and faster main battery reload (11.5 s instead of 13). Both are true for Hulls "B" and "C". Even though the cruiser has many unique aspects it didn't always show the desired effectiveness at her tier. Now the ship is a better match for her rivals.

Prinz Eugen:

German cruiser Prinz Eugen received the Repair Party consumable, similar in stats to that of Atago. The change increases average lifetime of the cruiser and makes her gameplay more unique, compared to that of Admiral Hipper.

Remember these are in testing and not finalized...

so what do you think?

for me it'll give me an incentive to come back and play these ships, Admiral Hipper was my first VIII cruiser and what I used to farm the original ARP missions. Eugen came to me in a santa crate but has had 1 game under if I remember correctly.

Edited by Combined_Fleet_HQ

[HINON]
Supertester
18,944 posts
12,460 battles

Might cause me to buy Hipper back. I still have her captain lounging around somewhere ...

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,335 posts
9,424 battles

Back when I had more money than brains (and before the Prinz Eugan), I bought premium camo for the Hipper.

Then the Prinz Eugan came out - and I got it in a Christmas Crate.

Ground up to the Roon and moved the Captain...  Kept the empty Hipper.

Now that I have the Hindenburg (with $25 camo), I moved my Konigsburg captain to the Hipper and sold the non-camo Roon.

German Cruisers are:  Hermelin, Emden, Kolberg, Graf Spee, Hipper, Prinz Eugan, and Hindenburg.  Hermelin and Kolberg do not have permanent camo.

Problem is that I'm through with this line.  The ships are all ground out and rusting in port.  I only flag them up and use them for the oddball missions.

Members
1,145 posts
4,192 battles
16 minutes ago, Lert said:

Might cause me to buy Hipper back. I still have her captain lounging around somewhere ...

yeah she's been a dedicated port queen, her captain is probably sitting in reserve

other than the hindenburg, the hipper/eugen were the only other cruisers I kept

[HINON]
Supertester
18,944 posts
12,460 battles
2 minutes ago, Combined_Fleet_HQ said:

yeah she's been a dedicated port queen, her captain is probably sitting in reserve

Sold Hippie when I got Eugen. Still had the 17 pt captain. Found out when I just re-bought Hippie that she actually had a permacamo on her, I don't even remember buying that.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,335 posts
9,424 battles
2 minutes ago, Lert said:

Sold Hippie when I got Eugen. Still had the 17 pt captain. Found out when I just re-bought Hippie that she actually had a permacamo on her, I don't even remember buying that.

I recall 2015 when WOWS went 'LIVE' was when the German cruisers were released.

At the time the Hipper was up against the Mogami and (non-radar) New Orleans.  The Atago was also out there - and the Tirpitz and Kutuzov were going to be new in a few weeks.

The higher tiers were not very well populated.

The Hipper had excellent ballistics, good AP, and usable torps.  Since Team Battles were tier 8 at the time, it was an excessively used machine.

Members
1,510 posts
7,962 battles

Hey

I still have Hipper and PE, and enjoy both yet BUT, they both need a bit of love in order to compete with more modern (power Creeped) ships.  Even the beloved Atago could use a little range and reload buff.   I just wish Wargaming would make a slight change from one to another with something like a reload buff for Hipper and maybe a heal for PE.  Especially considering the history of the Prinz Eugen in the Bismarck affair and the fact it made the first hits on Hood.

Pete 

[RKLES]
Members
7,103 posts
8,758 battles

Lol kind of glad when I started playing the game I only went to tier V and stopped on the German CAs in favor of other lines. Now I will have good reason to restart it back up again with Hipper getting buffs.

Members
842 posts

I actually really loved my Hipper. It's still sitting in my port, with a 17-point captain on it. It was the first T8 of anything I owned, and I played the crap out of it in 2016.

But yeah, the powercreep has been really horrible to it. Haven't played it more than a dozen games in the past 1.5 years.

So it will be nice to take it out for a spin again and see how it fairs.  The ROF bump is really what it needed, so I'm hopeful it can be competitive again. 

I mean, it was kinda pathetic to see the upgraded New Orleans and the Charles Martel manhandling a Hipper.

[SOA]
Alpha Tester
557 posts
2,486 battles

Good changes. I think there's an excellent chance of these going live, because both Hipper and Eugen (being virtual clones in their current state) are rather underwheming. The 11.5 second reload will help Hipper out tremendously vs its competitors, while Eugen should have enough staying power with the heal to make it a compelling alternative. Less DPM, but vastly improved tankiness to make up for it? That's a fair trade, I think.

2 hours ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Lol kind of glad when I started playing the game I only went to tier V and stopped on the German CAs in favor of other lines. Now I will have good reason to restart it back up again with Hipper getting buffs.

Yorck and especially Hipper are a drag at the moment, but Roon is worth it. And Hindenburg is DEFINITELY worth it, from what I hear. Haven't got there yet, but Roon is fabulous and a real joy to play.

--Helms

[RKLES]
Members
7,103 posts
8,758 battles
3 hours ago, thehelmsman said:

Good changes. I think there's an excellent chance of these going live, because both Hipper and Eugen (being virtual clones in their current state) are rather underwheming. The 11.5 second reload will help Hipper out tremendously vs its competitors, while Eugen should have enough staying power with the heal to make it a compelling alternative. Less DPM, but vastly improved tankiness to make up for it? That's a fair trade, I think.

Yorck and especially Hipper are a drag at the moment, but Roon is worth it. And Hindenburg is DEFINITELY worth it, from what I hear. Haven't got there yet, but Roon is fabulous and a real joy to play.

--Helms

I have found Konigsberg and Nurnberg are temperamental to use as well, but tiers 1-4 were nice enough and sounds like 9-10 are good, and now hopefully so will Tier 8 in German CA line. Although German Cruisers do have 1 champion that saves the honor of German Mid Tier Cruisers, the Graf Spee. Been loving Graf Spee a lot since it carries the largest caliber guns of any Cruiser in the game, Torps are great as well, AA is little weak but workable if properly equipped.

German BBs have long served me as strong workhorses in my fleet of ships, so trying to make the German CAs and perhaps the DDs work for me as well. But if not at least I have pretty much every ship in the IJN being at minimum serviceable or better in quality to fall back on, and they have taken up most of the CA work.

Although with CVs an ever lurking threat I do need so strong AA Cruisers in my port to fill the roles when needed such as CV event weekends.

Members
842 posts

The Konigsberg is a great silver and XP earner.  Because it's functionally almost identical to the Nurnberg (the DAA is the only real difference), it plays well uptiered. In fact, I'd go so far to say that the Konigsberg is the ONLY T5 cruiser that can handle being bottom tier well. It's a standoff cruiser, which means you don't get closer than 12km to ANYTHING that's not a DD. 

And I'm still in the minority of people who like the Yorck. I did find it needed at 15-point captain to really work well, but it absolutely does very well once you understand it's role. 

Sadly, I hated the Roon. The same playstyle I love in the Konigsberg doesn't work at all in the Roon. 

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,423 posts
3,367 battles

Oh sure, I see this AFTER I unlock the Roon! Meh, who am I kidding, I really like the Hipper and wouldn't mind at all getting a Prinz Eugen if she comes back on sale and I've got the cash.

Members
1,510 posts
7,962 battles

Hey

I will believe it when I see it;  Too many times we get teased about stuff only to have nothing happen, especially in the German lines.  Like the last minute nerf's to the German DD's, the Graf Zeppelin affair, the T61(dead?), the yet to happen Z39 (mediocre at best at this point it seems).  Will have to wait and see if this will be true.

Pete

[VIKNG]
[VIKNG]
Beta Testers
376 posts
6,016 battles

Might actually buy Hipper back. Sold her off to buy the Roon, which I'm currently (not) grinding.

Got the Prinz Eugen in a Santa Crate, which was cool, because I really wanted her.

So, both ships getting some buffs is definitely welcome here.

Members
91 posts
1,815 battles

Just got to Hipper so great timing. This is my first tier8 ship. First match was pretty rough.

Not sure whether I should go with double rudder or concealment build. 

[SOA]
Alpha Tester
557 posts
2,486 battles
18 hours ago, TypicalEngineer said:

Just got to Hipper so great timing. This is my first tier8 ship. First match was pretty rough.

Hipper probably needs the concealment, but FWIW I run double-rudder on Roon and it's plenty comfortable.

--Helms

Members
91 posts
1,815 battles

I ran Hipper with concealment for my first battle. Not so sure if I like the manouvreability without double rudder. I think I will try again after the buffs.

[0456]
[0456]
Members
2,809 posts
7,992 battles

Heal on PE isn't the worst news I've ever heard. Wanted to enjoy it- never really got the hang of it. 

This will give me a reason to bring him out of mothball.  

Edited by Gascan75

[DRACS]
Members
3,350 posts

Eugen is already one of my favorite cruisers to play. Giving her a heal would make me never want to put her down and I am very much looking forward to that.

Wish I knew when this would go live, mind you.

Members
1,145 posts
4,192 battles
On 4/3/2018 at 4:54 AM, TypicalEngineer said:

The few times I went back to it (at Hindenburg), I've tried to run double rudder on her like her X counterpart, but concealment is more needed.

Members
3,638 posts
13,487 battles

It would've been nice if WG had reduced both ship's detectability. As it stands some of the BBs that they go up against have lower detectability than those 2 smaller Cruisers have.

Edited by ReddNekk
  • Cool 1

[CTTDS]
Members
42 posts
7,896 battles
On 4/11/2018 at 1:14 PM, ReddNekk said:

It would've been nice if WG had reduced both ship's detectability. As it stands some of the BBs that they go up against have lower detectability than those 2 smaller Cruisers have.

Well 'some' BB's sit very low in the water and the Hipper has a rather tall profile,  so just over the horizon type spotting,  the Hipp SHOULD stick out more than some of the low-rider BBs

• Bad 1

Members
842 posts
1 hour ago, davehenrie said:

Well 'some' BB's sit very low in the water and the Hipper has a rather tall profile,  so just over the horizon type spotting,  the Hipp SHOULD stick out more than some of the low-rider BBs

Well... that's irrelevant.

In this, a video game, the very idea that a BB (actually several BBs) can out-stealth a Cruiser (especially a cruiser in full-on stealth build) is insanely stupidly unbalanced.

WG desperately needs a balance pass on the stealth mechanics, and absolutely make it so that for any instance, any captain build or module configuration, DD < CL < CA < BB < CV, no exceptions. That is, there should be AT LEAST a 3km detection gap between the stealthiest CA and the worst DD, and a similar gap between the worst CA and best BB.

Doing anything else is just broken.