You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Reymu

Space battles thus far

23 comments in this topic

[NG-NL]
Members
4,958 posts
8,103 battles

No achievements available in Space Battles? Didn't notice until I 80-0'd a Zaya earlier in Hellcarrier and no "Devastating Strike" popped up.

But since it's a temp mode w/ 19-point commanders (and opportunity to try out a bunch of T10 ships for free), think that's why.

That said, it's a pretty fun mode. Love the lazer sound effects and how each ship (literally) has a huge warm engine for a tushy. Only real complaint I have is it's not a 24v24 mode--that would be bonkers!

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,160 posts
8,772 battles

It is also a nice way to grind a bunch of elite experience.

[ARGSY]
Members
5,783 posts
3,942 battles

The fun thing about this is that it's Tier VI captains driving Tier X ships in a Tier VI way.  Glorious chaos, with brutally short games and brutally quick deaths for anyone who screws up. I wish I'd started my US cruiser grind earlier so I was done with it and could concentrate on hammering out Elite Captain XP, but as things are it's a huge bonus - I hadn't expected this opportunity till Halloween - and I'll grab what I can, when I can.

A couple more games of this and I'll have enough to kick my 11-point Fiji captain up to 12 points without having to put any Free XP on top. Then again, maybe I should save it for completing my US cruiser captains' training when they go into their new ships (I have a free ten-pointer that I will probably put on the T6 New Pensacola when she's in port, as I intend to climb the heavy line and leave the Cleveland be at T8 for a while).

Members
1,240 posts
20,608 battles
46 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

The fun thing about this is that it's Tier VI captains driving Tier X ships in a Tier VI way.

It is nice to have fun finally with T10 ships.  Plus pixel people aren't worried about their stats (or shouldn't) be which prompts closer engagements.

• Cool 1

[4HIM]
Members
1,703 posts
3,886 battles

For me it's kind of 'meh'.  But that's just my opinion.  Cool graphics, but the games have been overly dull.  Got a couple crates and that was about all I could stand.  

Members
9,434 posts
11,601 battles

i just run gearing (flyfyre or some such)  since queue is short.  its funny seeing so many 16km torp hits   lol.   i will do enough for 16 wins and that is all, only gotten the 999 xp   achievement 10 times (pretty much every match).    otherwise, it is very much   potato version of clan battle.

Edited by centarina

Members
660 posts
4,255 battles

It's a fun and rewarding little mode particularly for those of us who don't have 19 pt captains or T10 ships yet. That being said I'm not sure why they didn't do more in terms of sci-fi abilities and effects (like we had in the Halloween operation) to shake the game play up a little. If you already had a bunch of T10s I'd imagine its not that interesting. 

Members
30 posts
659 battles

It's pretty fun to someone who's never played it before, although no different from regular gameplay. It's nice to see what higher tier ships are like for someone who's only gotten to Tier 6.

Although I think it really would've been special if they'd thrown in the third dimension of movement to make them more like spacecraft instead of naval battles in space.

[INTEL]
Members
8,429 posts
25,290 battles
19 hours ago, Reymu said:

No achievements available in Space Battles? Didn't notice until I 80-0'd a Zaya earlier in Hellcarrier and no "Devastating Strike" popped up.

But since it's a temp mode w/ 19-point commanders (and opportunity to try out a bunch of T10 ships for free), think that's why.

That said, it's a pretty fun mode. Love the lazer sound effects and how each ship (literally) has a huge warm engine for a tushy. Only real complaint I have is it's not a 24v24 mode--that would be bonkers!

I am enjoying it. My Gearing doesn't face any Russky DDs. And I swear they monkeyed with the dispersion, although it may just be that the engagement ranges are so short. 

[WOLF5]
Members
272 posts
5,094 battles

Hmm....I think I like it overall.  I have a tier 10 US Cruiser (Des Moines) and have access to most of the spaceships except for carriers but the space equivalent of the Des Moines is what I played with twice.  Interesting setup but the sound effect isn't very good.  Graphics reminds me of arcade games of the 1980s, which isn't bad but I think the normal sea graphics are prettier.

Both engagements are short and sweet, quite a bit like co-op play but with human opponents.  I like battles this way, being that I mainly play co-op.

The space perm camo for Des Moines is very tempting for me, I think I'll buy it just for the fun factor.  :Smile_teethhappy:

[TF16B]
Members
8,063 posts
16,998 battles
8 hours ago, Reymu said:

Just a few mode-specific ones.

6 hours ago, BrushWolf said:

Not sure I agree with this; maybe if you're already a purple it is...

5 hours ago, slokill_1 said:

It is nice to have fun finally with T10 ships.  Plus pixel people aren't worried about their stats (or shouldn't) be which prompts closer engagements.

Are we talking about the same mode? Basically the same stupid camping I usually see in higher tier games; and the same stupid get torped to death by other cruisers [edited] I always see trying to get glose to where DM/Galaxy's AP is supposedly so awesome.

5 hours ago, ZARDOZ_II said:

For me it's kind of 'meh'.  But that's just my opinion.  Cool graphics, but the games have been overly dull.  Got a couple crates and that was about all I could stand.  

I've played what I consider to be the minimum for each ship/mode; five games, 3 wins, 2 losses.

Experiencing basicly the same thing that always happens in Tier 10 battles means quiting the mode now wouldn't bother me a bit; and leaves me with the thought; Fun? Where is it? Don't see any here.'

Edited by Estimated_Prophet

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,160 posts
8,772 battles
7 hours ago, BrushWolf said:

12 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Not sure I agree with this; maybe if you're already a purple it is...

They are 19 point captains, all of their experience goes into the elite pool, no purpleness needed.

Members
1,690 posts
7,230 battles

I lack the motivation to play the mode.  It sounds good in theory to generate elite captain XP, but...  I own eight T10 ships, each of them has 19 point captain.  One of them has the space skin, and seven others all have the type 20 permanent camo.  The two T9 premiums also have their own dedicated 19 point captains, with Musashi running HSF camo with additional commander XP bonus.  Playing space battles generates less elite XP than the ships I normally play.

[TF16B]
Members
8,063 posts
16,998 battles
2 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

They are 19 point captains, all of their experience goes into the elite pool, no purpleness needed.

Correct.

Still meaningless because my experience with Galaxy is just as bad as with DM in the regular game.

Never seem to be in the right place to do the high amounts of damage so meany seem so proud of; (*) get one-shotted or rendered ineffective for all intents by things I never see; die to torpedoes from napkin drawings trying to get to where the 'real' DM/Galaxy's guns are supposedly so effective.

(*) One time;  ONE FREAKING TIME; I actually got within 5k of an Alldestroyer and did a pathetic 36k of damage before someone else sank it. All the other games were basically the same as my previous DM games; trying to get close was stupid. Hurray; everyone shoots at me and I'm dead; or Hooray; I 'm apparently supposed to sit on my butt half the game like a carrier; waiting until my supposedly 'great' ship won't get slaughtered, and might actually be able to do something before dying without accomplishing anything.

[TF16B]
Members
8,063 posts
16,998 battles
18 minutes ago, Ramsalot said:

I lack the motivation to play the mode.  It sounds good in theory to generate elite captain XP, but...

(snip)

Playing space battles generates less elite XP than the ships I normally play.

Somewhat similar situation here; I'd rather use my normal captains in other game modes.

That's besides continuing my history of underperforming pathetically in DM/Galaxy; and a refusal to try any of the other ships because I either loathe them as napkin drawings, or do just as badly in the real game versions as I do with DM.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts
13 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Correct.

Still meaningless because my experience with Galaxy is just as bad as with DM in the regular game.

Never seem to be in the right place to do the high amounts of damage so meany seem so proud of; (*) get one-shotted or rendered ineffective for all intents by things I never see; die to torpedoes from napkin drawings trying to get to where the 'real' DM/Galaxy's guns are supposedly so effective.

(*) One time;  ONE FREAKING TIME; I actually got within 5k of an Alldestroyer and did a pathetic 36k of damage before someone else sank it. All the other games were basically the same as my previous DM games; trying to get close was stupid. Hurray; everyone shoots at me and I'm dead; or Hooray; I 'm apparently supposed to sit on my butt half the game like a carrier; waiting until my supposedly 'great' ship won't get slaughtered, and might actually be able to do something before dying without accomplishing anything.

10 free Elite Captains Exp is still better than ZERO.

I dont play to win in space battles i play for the Exp the win just sweetens the pot.

[TF16B]
Members
8,063 posts
16,998 battles
2 minutes ago, CLUCH_CARGO said:

10 free Elite Captains Exp is still better than ZERO.

THIS; at least; is a reason to play.

• Cool 2

[ARGSY]
Members
5,783 posts
3,942 battles

On second thought it is not quite the Captain XP farm that Halloween was, mostly because

a) you're up against human beings in equal ships rather than slightly down-tier ships performing in a mostly scripted fashion. 

b) As a non-scenario mode, you DO have to worry about team damage. So flinging torpedoes and shells hither and yon without a care in the world isn't an option here.

All that being said, any chance for lower-tier players to mine Elite Captain XP is still a good chance, and with (potentially) lots of ships to choose from (if you have a broad swath of ships to unlock them with), you're never short of a spaceship to take into battle. There are times even the most determined line-grinder gets fatigued of the ship they are grinding, and stuff like this makes for a refreshing break. Better still when the refreshing break brings side benefits. :Smile_coin:

[WOLF5]
Members
1,140 posts
8,303 battles

I'm enjoying it as a low pressure way to play T10 ships, getting some practice with those I have (but have barely played - DM and Moskva) and trying out some others, while grinding some elite xp.

And I didn't think I would like it.  When I tried it on PTS, I really couldn't read the waterline of ships very well because of the way reflections worked.  Maybe I've just gotten used to it, but if you told me that WG adjusted the opacity or something to make ships easier to read I wouldn't be surprised.

The small maps are revealing.  I've had the completely exposed center spawn in the Aurora on that East-West cap map a couple of times, and it validates every stereotype about the Moskva - don't mind me, I'll just be throttle-jockeying in spawn for a bit, because if I try to turn I'm dead.

[LUCK]
Members
1,276 posts
19,034 battles

The graphics are very disorienting to me but that's not a criticism.  I usually do all the events but have to sit this one out.

Edited by Wye_So_Serious

Members
1,509 posts
7,947 battles

Hey

I have to admit; for me the game play of the space battle, sucks.  I like the ships and all, but I prefer the normal style, maybe had they taken place on oceans of a planet in a distant galaxy, it would have been better for me.  Just don't care for the grid style of ocean, everything is dark, hard to distinguish where your aiming, just not my cup of tea.  I will continue playing the normal stuff only.

Pete

[DARTH]
Members
532 posts
11,374 battles

I've been rather enjoying the battles and the gobs of elite captain XP ... I also think I may have changed my mind and will probably buy one of the camos.  A couple of them are quite attractive.