Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Obscurous

Special Events and the New/Casual Player.

15 comments in this topic

[ARS]
Members
4 posts
627 battles

Greetings,

I have always wondered why the events held in WoWS are more often that not put beyond a Tier Wall that a casual or a newer player may access. The Matchmaking mechanics of Tier-V are legendary and are like some messed up right of passage, or a deliberate grind wall to encourage acquiring premium ships at a higher tier. I understand that this is a FOR PROFIT organization so for the most part its not a big deal to me. Until you factor in that me as a casual, non-premium time player its 50 to 100 rounds to go from a tier V to VI ship. For a normal person that is a 5 to 8 day grind at an hour a day. Those numbers are based on you being a bad [edited]and can get over 1k natural  XP every match in a something like the New York against Teir VIII ships every match.

So the real questions are:

Does Wargaming intentionally lock out casual and new players from events?

Does Wargaming not want their events to draw in new players?  OR Does Wargaming want their events to bring in ONLY PAYING new players willing to immediately buy a T-VI ship?

Does Wargaming think that everyone that plays is either wealthy enough to pay to reduce the grind, OR has all the free time in the world, AND nothing in between?

Thanks for listening to the concerns of a long-time casual player who has never once been allowed to participate in an event,

Obscurous

• Cool 2

[PLPTV]
Members
1,457 posts
9,077 battles
1 minute ago, Obscurous said:

Greetings,

I have always wondered why the events held in WoWS are more often that not put beyond a Tier Wall that a casual or a newer player may access. The Matchmaking mechanics of Tier-V are legendary and are like some messed up right of passage, or a deliberate grind wall to encourage acquiring premium ships at a higher tier. I understand that this is a FOR PROFIT organization so for the most part its not a big deal to me. Until you factor in that me as a casual, non-premium time player its 50 to 100 rounds to go from a tier V to VI ship. For a normal person that is a 5 to 8 day grind at an hour a day. Those numbers are based on you being a bad [edited]and can get over 1k natural  XP every match in a something like the New York against Teir VIII ships every match.

Does Wargaming not want their events to draw in new players?  OR Does Wargaming want their events to bring in ONLY PAYING new players willing to immediately buy a T-VI ship?

Does Wargaming think that everyone that plays is either wealthy enough to pay to reduce the grind, OR has all the free time in the world, AND nothing in between?

Thanks for listening to the concerns of a long-time casual player who has never once been allowed to participate in an event,

Obscurous

They want to avoid putting new players into tier X ships for pretty obvious reasons. There are already plenty of people spamming tier Xs on regular basis without having any understanding of how to actually play these ships ... the last thing we need is more of it.

Also, do you have premium account? Because that basically cuts the grind in half.

• Cool 1

[WOLF2]
Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles

You can get to tier 6 in a matter of days, so the only people who are excluded by circumstance are those who have been playing for around two weeks.

[5D]
Members
2,214 posts
13,978 battles

Tier 4 & 5 used to be the minimum and then WG realized that many experienced players were dropping down to those tiers to easily complete these events while also seal-clubbing newer players. To avoid that they raised the requirement to tier 6 for most of these events.

So would you rather participate and be frustrated by not completing the events due to the excessive amounts of very experienced players killing you quickly. Or would you rather get your tier 6 ships and have a fighting chance?

[H-W-C]
Members
1,259 posts
3,306 battles

Well, I mean, it only took me 36 battles without premium to get from Emerald to Leander, and I'm utter trash at Emerald (31% winrate :cap_haloween:) Just spam XP Signals and camo, which I started to do partway through the Emerald grind and things will speed up considerably.

CWYBAme.jpg

Use this

mqvMPjZ.jpg

And this

• Cool 1

[ARS]
Members
4 posts
627 battles

This forums system is odd to deal with so i will just layout a few responses

I agree Newbs in T-X not good. (been gaming, since there was gaming. Just like you would not give an M249 to some one who has never even shot a pistol)

No I don't have a premium account and that is part of the point of the post.

Signals do help and I go with the Signals and Camo boxes everytime i get one.

I have plenty of time in the captain chair just never picked a single path to go down. (dang you WG and your constant vomet of new tasty ships) it was not until recently i decided to focus down and try to get a few choice ships at T6. i started with my US BB's cause i am a moron. lol

So you are saying the average player can get to T-6 in a matter of days. Ok I have been grinding my New York for an hour or two a day 3+ days a week for almost a month and I still need 30k XP to unlock the New Mex. Its really hard to get good XP when the people you are playing against are all T-VII and above and the DD's can send torps dang near as far as you can shoot. A single surprise salvo to your broadside FROM ANYTHING T-VIII and above, is an insta-sink so getting any real XP is impossible. Next time you play a match look at the average XP on the team break down at the end. before premium, before flags, etc etc. the average is going to be roughly 800 or so. Thats a long grind to 54k XP 

I was hitting T-IV and then T-V with in weeks, some times DAYS before they would decide they needed to raise the Tier for Missions and Events has caused my grind to feel more intense.

But we are deviating from the Questions at hand 

Does Wargaming intentionally lock out casual and new players from events? (There are ways to set the Matchmaking triggers for events to help) but i think it should NEVER be lower than T-III or IV cause you at least need to know how to move your ship and how to aim, etc.

Does Wargaming not want their events to draw in new players?  OR Does Wargaming want their events to bring in ONLY PAYING new players willing to immediately buy a T-VI ship? (again event specific matchmaking code is all it would take)

Does Wargaming think that everyone that plays is either wealthy enough to pay to reduce the grind, OR has all the free time in the world, AND nothing in between? Again I don't have premium cause I got mouths to feed. and i am ok with a little grindy because of it. but months per ship at T-V to VI cause you dont have premium is a bit much.

Members
9,864 posts
19 minutes ago, Obscurous said:

This forums system is odd to deal with so i will just layout a few responses

I agree Newbs in T-X not good. (been gaming, since there was gaming. Just like you would not give an M249 to some one who has never even shot a pistol)

No I don't have a premium account and that is part of the point of the post.

Signals do help and I go with the Signals and Camo boxes everytime i get one.

I have plenty of time in the captain chair just never picked a single path to go down. (dang you WG and your constant vomet of new tasty ships) it was not until recently i decided to focus down and try to get a few choice ships at T6. i started with my US BB's cause i am a moron. lol

So you are saying the average player can get to T-6 in a matter of days. Ok I have been grinding my New York for an hour or two a day 3+ days a week for almost a month and I still need 30k XP to unlock the New Mex. Its really hard to get good XP when the people you are playing against are all T-VII and above and the DD's can send torps dang near as far as you can shoot. A single surprise salvo to your broadside FROM ANYTHING T-VIII and above, is an insta-sink so getting any real XP is impossible. Next time you play a match look at the average XP on the team break down at the end. before premium, before flags, etc etc. the average is going to be roughly 800 or so. Thats a long grind to 54k XP 

I was hitting T-IV and then T-V with in weeks, some times DAYS before they would decide they needed to raise the Tier for Missions and Events has caused my grind to feel more intense.

But we are deviating from the Questions at hand 

Does Wargaming intentionally lock out casual and new players from events? (There are ways to set the Matchmaking triggers for events to help) but i think it should NEVER be lower than T-III or IV cause you at least need to know how to move your ship and how to aim, etc.

Does Wargaming not want their events to draw in new players?  OR Does Wargaming want their events to bring in ONLY PAYING new players willing to immediately buy a T-VI ship? (again event specific matchmaking code is all it would take)

Does Wargaming think that everyone that plays is either wealthy enough to pay to reduce the grind, OR has all the free time in the world, AND nothing in between? Again I don't have premium cause I got mouths to feed. and i am ok with a little grindy because of it. but months per ship at T-V to VI cause you dont have premium is a bit much.

Unfortunately you'll never get many positive responses for this. :Smile_amazed:

Most of the players in the forum are more serious players, and even though they are a tiny minority in this game, they can't seem to see beyond their own little world. They honestly believe this is a competitive game, even though 90% of the player base doesn't seem to agree.:Smile_teethhappy:

[HINON]
Members
8,838 posts

Wg does events across many different tiers to appeal to different sets of players. Because this one is using t10 ships it requires t6 though tbh t8 would have made more sense imo due the large gap between t6 and t10.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,019 posts
11,539 battles

There are events for lower tier players; taste of blood for a free HMAS Vampire being one of them.  The problem is, in making them easy entry for new players, they run the risk of making them /too/ easy for existing players.  I personally would like to see more sub t4 content in general, and adding a cap to captain skills sub T4 (7 points) to help reduce seal clubbing.  As it is, players move through those tiers too quickly, get into the deeper water, and get shell-shocked.

[SF-A]
Members
2,849 posts
5,548 battles

Use every signal flag and camo available to you (and maybe a little premium as well) to speed up the grind. There are events for those flags and camos, so make sure to pick those up, and you can get a week of premium from the "Science of Victory" campaign.

You can scrounge up some gold from that campaign or from lotteries. Go looking for small Youtubers running promotions so you get the best chance at winning things, but don't neglect big pools. You just might get lucky! With this gold you can get premium time.

Go for either flags containers (for flags) or Try Your Luck (for gold/premium time). Each can give some of the other rarely, but for grinding those are best.

When you hit a spot where you need credits, skimp on premium consumables you don't need. Mount "India Bravo Terrathree", "Zulu Hotel", and "Wyvern" if you have them. Camos like "gamescom 2016" (my favorite), "Ocean Soul", "FTW", "Hunter", "Blue Lagoon", and "Revolutionary" will make you more credits. Also, permanent camos on premium ships you might have will lower repair costs. A premium ship will make credits very easily as well (they have a built-in improvement).

You might not have all of these flags or camos, but every one will help. Remember that effects do stack, so try to load up and get big wins.

This is a very nice, thoughtful thread by the OP. +1 to you sir!

• Boring 1

[ARS]
Members
4 posts
627 battles
20 minutes ago, pewpewpew42 said:

Use every signal flag and camo available to you (and maybe a little premium as well) to speed up the grind. There are events for those flags and camos, so make sure to pick those up, and you can get a week of premium from the "Science of Victory" campaign.

You can scrounge up some gold from that campaign or from lotteries. Go looking for small Youtubers running promotions so you get the best chance at winning things, but don't neglect big pools. You just might get lucky! With this gold you can get premium time.

Go for either flags containers (for flags) or Try Your Luck (for gold/premium time). Each can give some of the other rarely, but for grinding those are best.

When you hit a spot where you need credits, skimp on premium consumables you don't need. Mount "India Bravo Terrathree", "Zulu Hotel", and "Wyvern" if you have them. Camos like "gamescom 2016" (my favorite), "Ocean Soul", "FTW", "Hunter", "Blue Lagoon", and "Revolutionary" will make you more credits. Also, permanent camos on premium ships you might have will lower repair costs. A premium ship will make credits very easily as well (they have a built-in improvement).

You might not have all of these flags or camos, but every one will help. Remember that effects do stack, so try to load up and get big wins.

This is a very nice, thoughtful thread by the OP. +1 to you sir!

Unfortunately I am not in a position to do anything that requires money. (you don't understand what poor is till you have your first child. lol but $ to joy ratio is very good.)  But I will try and find some US based folks to watch for promotions and what not. There is a HUGE amount of that on the EU side of things, but have not seen much on the US side.

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,298 battles
2 hours ago, Ulthwey said:

They want to avoid putting new players into tier X ships for pretty obvious reasons. There are already plenty of people spamming tier Xs on regular basis without having any understanding of how to actually play these ships ... the last thing we need is more of it.

Also, do you have premium account? Because that basically cuts the grind in half.

Ah, no, they're not "pretty obvious reasons" because this is an April Fools mode that's separate from regular Randoms.  I think that it's wrong for them to have an April Fools mode that's locking out so many.  But if they didn't want to have the risk of so many new players in "tier 10" ships in this mode, the answer is simple.  Design the mode to use lower tier ships, rather than max tier ships.  Problem solved.

But frankly, it seems like they designed it at tier 10 so that they could then charge a rather high cost in gold for the skins, even if they aren't looking to sell huge numbers of them, and get a little return on this event.

• Bad 1

[WOLF3]
Members
5,975 posts
2,203 battles
5 hours ago, Obscurous said:

Greetings,

Obscurous

I must be Speshul because I get to play ships and events I am not qualified for.  I get to play them before anyone on the live server.  Not only that, I get some tasty rewards for doing it! 

You can be Speshul too.  How?  Play on the Public Test server.

Edited by iDuckman

[WOLF3]
Members
5,975 posts
2,203 battles
4 hours ago, Obscurous said:

recently i decided to focus down and try to get a few choice ships at T6. i started with my US BB's cause i am a moron. lol

I'm still sitting in a New York, not because I don't like the USN BB line (it's got its pluses and minuses) but because I switched focus to the USN cruiser line when the line split/shuffle was announced.  (If you don't know about that then you should be following the WG News and the forum.) 

Until recently I was a casual player something like you.  Then I focused on grinding to T6 Cleveland (a.k.a. The Beaver) and it's all been downhill (in the sledding sense) from there.  With a T6 I could get into events and earn the T7 Pensacola to get into more events to earn more XP and loot. 

And besides the events I will earn at least one free ship when the line split occurs.  Where are you with USN cruisers?  IMO they're harder to play well than BBs, but can be more fun too.

[ARS]
Members
4 posts
627 battles

I got my New Mex finally using the Signals for afew rounds to up my XP and burning all my Free(was not much). So i can at least start running missions and other things. i have a few other T-V ships that i will be focusing on getting the T-VI versions as well. 

As far as USN Cruisers, I think i have the XP to unlock the dreaded Phoenix which i may do so soon. but i ended up with USN BB's cause i originally went for a Carrier and found I did not like. However, afterward I respected good Carrier Captains even more. And I think running with my Clan mates at higher teirs with a carrier would be fun. i just refuse to grind out the carriers with PUG's cause i would quit the game listening to every Captain of every team tell me how to use my carrier. Cause OMG if you don't listen cause they will TK you or Grief you or generally try and make your life miserable by reporting your position in all chat. LOL

But I agree that locking missions and what not into a higher tier is not a bad thing. but special "fun" events being locked out of new players and low tier players to me just seems like bad design and a missed opportunity to grow the player base. you don't have to have ONE event with ONE set of criteria. You could easily do a T3-4 T5-7, t8-10 with rewards tuned to those tier ranges.

Sign in to follow this