You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
CarbonButtprint

How do you deal with losing streaks?

46 comments in this topic

Members
1,114 posts
3,141 battles

9 games today, the first one was a win and the rest were losses. I'm done for today. What do you do to deal with losing streaks, other than just leaving and coming back later?

[WOLF2]
Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles

If I lose 3-4 in a row, I hop over to a CV. When I play CV, in the early game, I try to keep the caps off limits to enemy destroyers, if not out right sink them, and provide our capping ships with fighter cover, so they can remain unspotted. From there, it's just whatever keeps the scales tipped in our favor.  If that won't break the streak, then I don't know what will.

[DPG]
Members
816 posts
4,165 battles

I log off.  I rarely do battles back to back anyway.  I take 15 or so minutes before I queue up again.  I take that time to relax, think on what I could have done differently in the last battle and what mistakes I'm sure I made.  

Members
3,551 posts
6,867 battles

That is the question to ask in Wows as it's the bugbear of playing--the agony and the ecstasy of losing and winning. I've come up with my own way of dealing with losing streaks and it involves two things--a practical plan and assessing one's attitude.

Re the former I will immediately stop playing for the day if I get 3-4 losses in a row. If you carry on past that you are likely to sort of get gambling fever, throwing good money after bad, convinced that the odds will swing your way. Well they will, but likely not in the time-frame of today. Under pressure to win you start making mistakes, you desperately need that first win to prove things are swinging around. Odds are you are just going to make the losing streak worse.

As for attitude I think I have an advantage over many in that I am a collector first, and while I pay attention to stats it is not my primary goal here. My goal is to enjoy playing as many different unique ships as possible; therefore I expect my WR to take a major hit as I will play the ships I keep whether I am good at them or not. The second thing about attitude has to do with the fact that  if you are at least a +50% WR player, which I am but not by much, then things will swing your way but you have to take a big step back looking at your stats and see things in terms of months played, not weekly, and certainly not daily. na.wows-numbers.com is the place to keep an eye on this.

Hope this helps.

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,249 battles

Play a battle or 2 in coop, or maybe operations.  And relax a little bit.  or maybe step away from the game for a bit.  Watch a TV show or a YouTube video.  Come to the forum.  And then come back in a little while.

[WORX]
Members
1,623 posts
12,629 battles

I get into my ISHOKAZE, and start putting holes on swiss cheese BB hulls just for fun. IJN DDs are more support ship in where a win or a loss is not depended on me. There is no great feeling putting torps on some poor BB driver just for my release of my frustration. The fun part other then putting holes on BBs, there is no real pressure to win. I end up winning and that is a good feeling. :cap_rambo:

[WOLF5]
Members
256 posts

..depends how and why to lose?? If in a good fight,when team gave all it could,but the opposing team was simple better,,that`s still a winning in my book,a good match is a good match. Now,if you lose because got the "potato" team,match after match,,that`s a whole different story...

[RKLES]
Members
7,073 posts
8,720 battles
36 minutes ago, CarbonButtprint said:

9 games today, the first one was a win and the rest were losses. I'm done for today. What do you do to deal with losing streaks, other than just leaving and coming back later?

Typically I jump in my one of my old and faithful ships like the Kuma to break the streak, or maybe do Co-Op or a Scenerio Batle. But now Space Battles are great way to go, they pay well in credits and XP, and best of all it is more relaxing since no stats to worry about when having a bad day.

Edited by Admiral_Thrawn_1

[WOLF2]
Members
860 posts
6,963 battles

Same answer I give on every "what do you do with losing streaks" threads:

If I'm doing some kind of mission, I realize I'm probably derping because I'm in an unfamiliar bote or class.   If I'm close to the objective, I keep on.

If in randoms, I understand these things go in cycles.   I certainly didn't gripe on that 10 game winning streak, or a week of 65%+ win rate.    I keep playing.    I do measure my performance during said losing streak - am I contributing, doing lots of damage, getting kills, in the top two or three of the leaderboards?   If yes, I keep playing.   If I've totally potatoed, with 20k damage total (or less) per match, yeah, I'll pack it up.

[RUST]
Beta Testers
928 posts
10,335 battles

Remember a time when I had a winning streak and didn't complain about it. 

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Members
2,765 posts
1,320 battles
43 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

I get into my ISHOKAZE, and start putting holes on swiss cheese BB hulls just for fun. IJN DDs are more support ship in where a win or a loss is not depended on me. There is no great feeling putting torps on some poor BB driver just for my release of my frustration. The fun part other then putting holes on BBs, there is no real pressure to win. I end up winning and that is a good feeling. :cap_rambo:

Orion notsered himself on a rock last night...I came around the corner in an Isokaze just after.  Orion broad on my starboard beam at 3 km, not moving.  I dumped my launchers, two directly at him, and one set just behind him in case he started backing out, and ran like hell, laughing my [edited]off the whole way.

• Funny 1

[WORX]
Members
1,623 posts
12,629 battles
2 minutes ago, mavfin87 said:

Orion notsered himself on a rock last night...I came around the corner in an Isokaze just after.  Orion broad on my starboard beam at 3 km, not moving.  I dumped my launchers, two directly at him, and one set just behind him in case he started backing out, and ran like hell, laughing my [edited]off the whole way.

And its fun as hell... See it works lol

• Funny 1

Members
4,438 posts
6,118 battles
1 hour ago, Stauffenberg44 said:

That is the question to ask in Wows as it's the bugbear of playing--the agony and the ecstasy of losing and winning. I've come up with my own way of dealing with losing streaks and it involves two things--a practical plan and assessing one's attitude.

Re the former I will immediately stop playing for the day if I get 3-4 losses in a row. If you carry on past that you are likely to sort of get gambling fever, throwing good money after bad, convinced that the odds will swing your way. Well they will, but likely not in the time-frame of today. Under pressure to win you start making mistakes, you desperately need that first win to prove things are swinging around. Odds are you are just going to make the losing streak worse.

As for attitude I think I have an advantage over many in that I am a collector first, and while I pay attention to stats it is not my primary goal here. My goal is to enjoy playing as many different unique ships as possible; therefore I expect my WR to take a major hit as I will play the ships I keep whether I am good at them or not. The second thing about attitude has to do with the fact that  if you are at least a +50% WR player, which I am but not by much, then things will swing your way but you have to take a big step back looking at your stats and see things in terms of months played, not weekly, and certainly not daily. na.wows-numbers.com is the place to keep an eye on this.

Hope this helps.

3-4 losses in a row and that is time for a break. You can go on tilt and compound the thing. WG (tinfoil hat stuff here) is NOTORIOUS for this. Ha!  But it's just the luck of the draw. Old military axiom......do NOT reinforce defeat!  Napoleon did this at Waterloo and Lee did it at Gettysburg. Hitler did it in the "Battle of the Bulge". Brits did it in "The Battle of the Somne" in 1916. WWI........ That one is a classic example.  Etc. Etc.  Blah blah. So on and so forth.

Edited by dmckay
  • Cool 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,703 posts
11,317 battles

Usually just take a break, or maybe move on to a ship I can carry a bit better with.

Members
3,551 posts
6,867 battles
12 minutes ago, dmckay said:

3-4 losses in a row and that is time for a break. You can go on tilt and compound the thing. WG (tinfoil hat stuff here) is NOTORIOUS for this. Ha!  But it's just the luck of the draw. Old military axiom......do NOT reinforce defeat!  Napoleon did this at Waterloo and Lee did it at Gettysburg. Hitler did it in the "Battle of the Bulge". Brits did it in "The Battle of the Somne" in 1916. WWI........ That one is a classic example.  Etc. Etc.  Blah blah. So on and so forth.

+1 for that. Good historical examples. You can add the Germans at Verdun too, and the Germans at Stalingrad, the Americans in Vietnam... "doubling down" and losing some more!

• Cool 1

Members
4,438 posts
6,118 battles
8 minutes ago, GrandAdmiral_2016 said:

..crack another cold beer and move on...don't forget the chips...

Your dip sir?  I like hot bean sauce dip. Stops the losing. :Smile_glasses:

[SIDE]
Members
1,331 posts

I keep playing. This is a fun escape from the much more critical responsibilities and stress in my professional life.

Perspective: Nobody’s life depends on me, I’m not wearing 80pounds of bunker gear, nothing is burning down and the air isn’t loaded with toxins. I can deal with somebody trying to hit my f2p pixels with their pixels. Savvy?

Winning, losing, it’s all good until I get bored, frustrated or there is a naked woman with a bottle of wine waiting in the next room. 

Edited by thebigblue

Members
4,438 posts
6,118 battles
41 minutes ago, Stauffenberg44 said:

+1 for that. Good historical examples. You can add the Germans at Verdun too, and the Germans at Stalingrad, the Americans in Vietnam... "doubling down" and losing some more!

Hell yes....there are many examples. Romans at Battle of Canae (sp/) against Hannibal in the Punic Wars. Threw legion after legion into the fray not realizing he was sucking them in.  Surrounding them.....KILLED THEM ALL.....bout 50,000 in 1 day. Battle still studied at military colleges. 

Edited by dmckay

Members
2,274 posts
7,297 battles

Quit for the day. Maybe even for a couple days.

Members
3,551 posts
6,867 battles
2 minutes ago, dmckay said:

Hell yes....there are many examples. Romans at Battle of Canea (sp/) against Hannibal in the Punic Wars. Threw legion after legion into the fray not realizing he was sucking them in.  Surrounding them.....KILLED THEM ALL.....bout 50,000 in 1 day. Battle still studied at military colleges. 

Canae... the name rings loud to this day as the ultimate finale for a losing streak!

Mind you for our American friends you can add Burnside at Fredericksburg, December 11–15, 1862.

Members
4,438 posts
6,118 battles
26 minutes ago, Stauffenberg44 said:

Vietnam.....tragic example.  Run by politicians and bureaucrats. Idiots. Our brave boys got screwed there. Johnson and McNamara NEVER grasped how determined the Vietnamese were to finally unite their country (and take the casualties) after over a century of colonial occupation.....they never "got" it. Classic reinforce defeat. Either do it all the way.............. or GET OUT.  This getting too political...I need to shut up.

Edited by dmckay