Rendering Lag Issue

13 comments in this topic

[PNG]
[PNG]
Beta Testers
220 posts
7,879 battles

hi,

In the last two patches, I have had lag issues, where my graphics engine would render my ship (and all ships) fraction of a second too late, resulting in the rendered position of ships being behind where the actual ships are. This leads to almost impossible shooting, because the actual position of ships are not where they shown to be. It makes game practically unplayable. I have tried to lower the graphics settings to min, but still doesn't help.

My computer specs:

AMD FX-6300 Six-Core Processor, 3.5 GHz

8 GB RAM

GeForce GTX 1050 Ti

I use full screen 1980 x 1080 resolution

My drivers are updated as far as I know

Anyone else run into this problem and/or know how to solve it? Thanks

[HINON]
Supertester
18,921 posts
12,454 battles

What's your average ping? Is your ping more or less stable, or does it vary a lot? Is the packet loss indicator often red instead of green?

[PNG]
[PNG]
Beta Testers
220 posts
7,879 battles

my frame rate normally around 60-61 fps at start of battle. Ping is 30-31 ms. When shooting (and lag) starts, frame rate drops to 47-50 fps, ping is lower to ~50-60 ms, but sometimes it stays at ~30 and I would still be lagging. Honestly, at that point I don't pay attention to ping, as I'm focus on the game. I can make note next time I play. I don't recall seeing the red indicator on. The weird thing is, the game still looks smooth, just the whole rendering is delayed.

[HINON]
Supertester
18,921 posts
12,454 battles
5 minutes ago, axyarthur said:

my frame rate normally around 60-61 fps at start of battle. Ping is 30-31 ms. When shooting (and lag) starts, frame rate drops to 47-50 fps, ping is lower to ~50-60 ms, but sometimes it stays at ~30 and I would still be lagging.

Ping and FPS are two unrelated things. FPS is how often your local computer can refresh the screen, ping is how long it takes a packet of information to go from your computer to the server. High ping and packetloss can, under some circumstances, lead to delayed rendering on the screen even if your local computer keeps high FPS. That's why I asked.

However, that only starts happening around several hundred ping, with flickering packet loss. 30 ~ 50 ping? No, there's something else happening, and I don't know what it could be.

Maybe a DirectX issue? You say your drivers are up to date, maybe roll back to a video driver version that worked? Run a virus / malware scan and registry cleaner? I'm not sure what else to suggest.

[PNG]
[PNG]
Beta Testers
220 posts
7,879 battles

I just finished a battle, and throughout the battle the ping never went higher than 40 ms, even though there was still lag. I checked my directX driver, and I'm on DirectX 12 and I use DirectX 11 in game. I haven't tried to use DirectX 9 option yet. 

This has happened before, but it usually goes away in 1 or 2 days. This time it's been consistently bad for last two patches. That's why I'm posting here. 

thanks for help anyway

[NDA]
Supertester, Alpha Tester
5,473 posts
4,055 battles

Hi axyarthur,

I've experienced the same issue in the last two updates as well. Please try this process:

1. Exit World of Warships and right-click on the Date/Time in the taskbar. Then select Adjust date/time.
    i9LohiP.png

2. Select the third tab (Internet Time). Click on the Change settings button
    6aQSVuO.png

3. Make sure that the checkbox for Synchronize with an Internet time server is checked/ticked. From the Server list, select one of the servers with 'nist' in it. Then click on the Update now button.
    WBGtJE8.png

4. Once the clock has been synchronized, click OK. You can close everything and launch World of Warships.

If you still experience the issue, try selecting a different server on the list in Step 3. Good luck!

[WOLF5]
Members
256 posts

I`am just wondering,,how can you tell,that your rig`s graphics engine  rendering all ships a fraction of a second too late?? Isn't that just simple network lag ,your computer renders every moving pixels too late,because of network issues ?  Wouldn't that be a lot more likely culprit ?     

[PNG]
[PNG]
Beta Testers
220 posts
7,879 battles
24 minutes ago, VonSmallHausenn said:

I`am just wondering,,how can you tell,that your rig`s graphics engine  rendering all ships a fraction of a second too late?? Isn't that just simple network lag ,your computer renders every moving pixels too late,because of network issues ?  Wouldn't that be a lot more likely culprit ?     

well, when enemy shells comes in, I see it hit the water in front of my ship, yet I take damage. As DD, when I launch torp, the torps appear in front of my ship, instead of from the launchers. Could be network issue too, but my ping is fine, and I have no problem with any other internet activities, like watching youtube or streams.

58 minutes ago, Panbun said:

Hi axyarthur,

I've experienced the same issue in the last two updates as well. Please try this process:

If you still experience the issue, try selecting a different server on the list in Step 3. Good luck!

Thanks for the tip, I will give it a try. Thing is, how would you know that is the setting to change?

[NDA]
5,473 posts
4,055 battles
5 hours ago, axyarthur said:

well, when enemy shells comes in, I see it hit the water in front of my ship, yet I take damage. As DD, when I launch torp, the torps appear in front of my ship, instead of from the launchers. Could be network issue too, but my ping is fine, and I have no problem with any other internet activities, like watching youtube or streams.

Thanks for the tip, I will give it a try. Thing is, how would you know that is the setting to change?

Someone taught me that process a while back. Apparently it’s caused by de-synchronisation between the time that the client uses and the time that the server uses. That’s why the ship is displayed behind where it actually is. For some reason, I get the issue every few updates or so. But updating the time settings seems to fix it consistently for me.

[PNG]
[PNG]
Beta Testers
220 posts
7,879 battles

12 hours ago, Panbun said:

Someone taught me that process a while back. Apparently it’s caused by de-synchronisation between the time that the client uses and the time that the server uses. That’s why the ship is displayed behind where it actually is. For some reason, I get the issue every few updates or so. But updating the time settings seems to fix it consistently for me.

well, I tried to change synchronization, and it helped...for a while. It starts ok at beginning of battle, but as battle goes on it gets worse and worse, so it didn't completely solve problem. I only have two options for server time, the windows.com and nist.gov, how do you get the others and what time do you use to fix problem?

[NDA]
5,473 posts
4,055 battles
18 hours ago, axyarthur said:

well, I tried to change synchronization, and it helped...for a while. It starts ok at beginning of battle, but as battle goes on it gets worse and worse, so it didn't completely solve problem. I only have two options for server time, the windows.com and nist.gov, how do you get the others and what time do you use to fix problem?

I use time-a.nist.gov. Sorry but that’s about all I know regarding the time servers, and I’m not sure why you only have those two options. 

One of the results I got from Googling “using a nist time” was a PDF with instructions on how to install a program that sets your computer’s time to one of those NIST times. I haven’t read through the whole thing or tried it for myself so I don’t know if it actually works. If you wanna go for it, just be careful.

Otherwise, it might be worth sending a ticket to Wargaming Support with a detailed explanation of the issue. Include a list of things you’ve tried, as well as some screenshots and replays if possible.

Good luck!

[PNG]
[PNG]
Beta Testers
220 posts
7,879 battles

Ok, I figured out how to make more options. I just copied the link and set it to synchronize. I also found out that you need to restart computer before it works, even though the menu box says it is updated. After choosing the same time website as yours and restarting my computer, it solves the problem. 

Thanks for the help!

[ARRGG]
Members
4,674 posts
7,503 battles
On 3/30/2018 at 3:32 PM, axyarthur said:

hi,

In the last two patches, I have had lag issues, where my graphics engine would render my ship (and all ships) fraction of a second too late, resulting in the rendered position of ships being behind where the actual ships are. This leads to almost impossible shooting, because the actual position of ships are not where they shown to be. It makes game practically unplayable. I have tried to lower the graphics settings to min, but still doesn't help.

My computer specs:

AMD FX-6300 Six-Core Processor, 3.5 GHz

8 GB RAM

GeForce GTX 1050 Ti

I use full screen 1980 x 1080 resolution

My drivers are updated as far as I know

Anyone else run into this problem and/or know how to solve it? Thanks

My solution was to turn down some of the game settings ... this fixed my lag issue after a patch