You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
awiggin

Anyone have an explanation for this?

22 comments in this topic

Members
9,863 posts

Why are numbers looking like this when Clan wars is active and also several events?:Smile_amazed:

Not to mention WG is back to advertising heavily, I can't go to a website without seeing a WOWS ad.

WG finally managed to bring back players and get some good numbers on the NA server, but seeing it drop off like this seems like a bad sign.

Spoiler

bAPqgPl.png

Even worse is the fact that the Top servers like RU, never managed to pull back many of their players, and those servers are tanking even worse...

Spoiler

5a4V497.png

So...why are numbers in a tailspin, when they should be holding up?

• Bad 2

Members
3,360 posts
3,915 battles

NA stats look fine to me. RU? Probably because they don't have a strong naval tradition, a lot of their population has never even seen the sea, and it just doesn't have much of a hold on them compared to tanks?

Look, the game is fun for what it is, but let's be real here: it doesn't have a lot to keep players invested over the long haul. There is no RvR... there is no 'higher level' play that people are working towards. I'm not saying that this game should be some kind of an EVE Online clone, but there are definitely some MMO elements that could be adopted to keep players tuned in even when they're not necessarily 'feeling it' in terms of gameplay. 

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Members
2,765 posts
1,320 battles

Probably some of the aftermath of the initial Steam launch.  The first rush is over, and some are going on to the next thing whatever that is, some are unhappy that they got sunk at tier 3, some are....whatever.

Beta Testers
1,359 posts
45 minutes ago, awiggin said:

Why are numbers looking like this when Clan wars is active and also several events?:Smile_amazed:

Not to mention WG is back to advertising heavily, I can't go to a website without seeing a WOWS ad.

WG finally managed to bring back players and get some good numbers on the NA server, but seeing it drop off like this seems like a bad sign.

Reveal hidden contents

bAPqgPl.png

Even worse is the fact that the Top servers like RU, never managed to pull back many of their players, and those servers are tanking even worse...

Reveal hidden contents

5a4V497.png

So...why are numbers in a tailspin, when they should be holding up?

FYI the advertisements are because your cookies are telling google and facebook (primarily) that you have visited or searched WOWs related stuff.

As for numbers.. all I can say is why I am not playing as much as before: carrier dominance imbalance garbage design, blatant soviet bias and this nonstop ridiculous challenges and events that interfere with gameplay. Like that corgi bulldung that makes entire teams lemming after one player and ignore ..well, playing. Bleh.

[PLPTV]
Members
1,457 posts
9,077 battles
10 minutes ago, mavfin87 said:

Probably some of the aftermath of the initial Steam launch.  The first rush is over, and some are going on to the next thing whatever that is, some are unhappy that they got sunk at tier 3, some are....whatever.

Dont forget the latest prioritization of new premiums over actual ingame content. New premiums keep poping out on monthly basis, however to this day:

1. There is still a significant lack of new maps. There is fairly little variety at every tier.

2. CVs have been broken for how long now?

3. So few operations, are they really THAT difficult to develop?

4. Co-op has been left in the dust for a while now. Personally I never play it but aparently a lot of people do so these people have been alienated for quite some time. Many probably left the game.

5. Pay to win has been becoming more and more of a factor. The fact that ships like Belfast, Saipan and Kutuzov exist in the state they are in is very concerning ... especially when you are on the receiving end, being killed by people who are clearly inferior to you but manage still kill you because they are playing a ship that is idi.ot-proof.

6. ... I can keep going but you get the picture.

• Boring 2

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

ZJsQZCh.jpg    DAm8O5v.jpg

WORKING ON IT

[SYN]
Members
326 posts
5,988 battles

So when spring comes, people go outside... whoa.

• Cool 1

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Members
2,765 posts
1,320 battles
5 minutes ago, MikeLWX said:

So when spring comes, people go outside... whoa.

Yep.  Easter Weekend.

[SAINT]
[SAINT]
Members
286 posts
9,603 battles
17 minutes ago, Skyfaller said:

Like that corgi bulldung that makes entire teams lemming after one player and ignore ..well, playing. Bleh.

Well, a lot of people seemed to enjoy that particular weekend event so I'm somewhat doubtful that it drove people out of the game. I understand that you didn't like it, and I'm sure many other people agree with you, but I had fun with it. As a side note I was a corgi captain and never saw any lemming trains chasing me around, although I'm sure that happened.  

For me one of the big issues with the game has been the match making. I originally started with some friends from another game and we all started here at the same time. Out of the four that started playing here I am the only one left. I was used to the MM from WOT but the others were not and eventually got tired of getting farmed by higher tiers. 

14 minutes ago, Ulthwey said:

Dont forget the latest prioritization of new premiums over actual ingame content. New premiums keep poping out on monthly basis, however to this day:

1. There is still a significant lack of new maps. There is fairly little variety at every tier.

4. Co-op has been left in the dust for a while now. Personally I never play it but aparently a lot of people do so these people have been alienated for quite some time. Many probably left the game.

5. Pay to win has been becoming more and more of a factor. The fact that ships like Belfast, Saipan and Kutuzov exist in the state they are in is very concerning ... especially when you are on the receiving end, being killed by people who are clearly inferior to you but manage still kill you because they are playing a ship that is idi.ot-proof.

^This^, nailed it. 

• Boring 1

Members
17,779 posts
5,084 battles

I don't get it. I'm not a whiz with graphs, but aren't the NA numbers better than the 2 previous years at this time?

[RUST]
Beta Testers
931 posts
10,345 battles

I don't see anything wrong with the player numbers either. The overall trend over the 1 year period and 2 year period seem to show a growth in overall player population.  If you are looking at anything over a shorter period, then local trends becomes heavily dependent on events... like KM BB / Bismarck promotions during ~Dec of 2016, and steam launch ~ Feb 2018 which naturally see a quick rise and then reduction in population over a short period. 

[INTEL]
Members
8,428 posts
25,288 battles
26 minutes ago, Ulthwey said:

Yup yup yup. 

Maps especially. It's unconscionable. All the high tier maps suck. They have maps from Operations that would make excellent domination maps but.... we're getting the Kronstadt....

P2W crossed my mind when I looked at the new Cossack. It is blatantly OP and skilled players will commit murder and mayhem in it. 

One factor you hadn't reached yet when you quit: radar. When you start encountering radar at T5, it right away reduces the fun of the funnest ships in the games, DDs. I am developing some numbers for the effect of radar on the game, and even a confirmed radar hater like myself was shocked when I saw the numbers. If I had been radared in Minekazes in the old days I never would have continued to play the game. 

The restricted MM is also a serious problem. No act harmed gameplay more than restricting the T4 MM. That was an idea whose negative effects have propagated throughout the tiers like a snowballing slow moving catastrophe. 

• Boring 1

[EREKT]
Members
759 posts
5,763 battles
1 hour ago, Ulthwey said:

Are you serious? Those ships are not idiot proof. You can be deleted easily in both of those cruisers. You're exaggerating. There is no way an idiot can easily beat the tech tree counterpart in a Kutuzov or a Belfast if he's going against an average player.

This pay to win crap is irritating me, every new premium ship has GARBAGE GUNS because people are whining about premiums being OP. 3-4 damn ships have to spoil the bunch, of course.

EJ

Edited by HorrorRoach
  • Boring 1

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Members
2,765 posts
1,320 battles
1 hour ago, Skpstr said:

I don't get it. I'm not a whiz with graphs, but aren't the NA numbers better than the 2 previous years at this time?

Yeah, population is generally higher than it was when I started playing, afaik.

[SYN]
Members
326 posts
5,988 battles

It's hard to tell what kind of point the OP was trying to make.  Year over year numbers for each of the last two years show growth.  Each year shows that this is the time when the pop starts to decline, and it starts to come back in late summer.  It makes an awful lot of sense, doesn't it?  It's nice that the game continues to get more popular.

Beta Testers
405 posts
4,755 battles

Well, looking at the graphs it seems the server populations go up and go down in repetitive cycles.  And the down trend you are freaking out about is much too short of a sample to draw any kind of conclusion that would necessitate panic or even concern.  If it continues to drop in the next six months, then start thinking of moving to a bunker and hoard food and water.

[-AGW-]
Members
685 posts
3,886 battles
4 hours ago, Skpstr said:

Yep, that's what I see as well. Stronger this year than in 2017, and much better that 2016.

Looks like the game is growing steadily. Thanks for the graph.

Members
377 posts
8,258 battles

To me, 2 things generally annoy me with this game : Poor maps in the top tiers, and the MM. I love the game, but mostly stick to tier 5-8 because the maps there are just better. As for the MM... you win some, you lose some, but carrying at mid tiers/ lower tiers is much easier. But yeah, NA numbers are on the rise from what the graph says, so I'm not too worried.

[WOLF5]
Members
604 posts
12,000 battles

The weather/spring is the answer. Numbers will continue to decline (overall, there will be spikes) through spring into summer. Winter will bring many back. 

These drops are seen across several different industries...several of which I have worked for...I first saw this back in the days of Tech Support for AOL...the joke was 'good weather is our biggest competitor' - That whole open internet thing may have been a bit bigger. 

Members
1,125 posts
6,708 battles
10 minutes ago, RevTKS said:

The weather/spring is the answer. Numbers will continue to decline (overall, there will be spikes) through spring into summer. Winter will bring many back. 

These drops are seen across several different industries...several of which I have worked for...I first saw this back in the days of Tech Support for AOL...the joke was 'good weather is our biggest competitor' - That whole open internet thing may have been a bit bigger. 

yep.  activity changes with the seasons.  summer can see a lot of people come back as school is finished and people generally have more free time.  depending on the weather, people may just want to stay where its cool(or warm).  spring, mainly march and april, perhaps early may will see a large decline as the weather improves, and people focus on school after slacking for the first month or 2.  these are common for every game and community.  of course, the make up of said community can change how much they are effected.

as for WoWs.  the game has a lot of things that need to be improved imo. 

[DRG_N]
Members
407 posts
582 battles
7 hours ago, Ulthwey said:

WG doesn't like Operations that much, it's why Operations so limited and restrained and why Co-Op may as well not exist.  Were it otherwise, they'd would be another form of progression, and WG is slavishly devoted to making everyone chug through the [edited] that is ramdoms in the name of keeping the digital fighting elite happy and paying.

Edited by Highlord