Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Radical_20

Is a 100 pt AA rating really worth the 4 captain points?

13 comments in this topic

Members
120 posts
6,330 battles

I am skilling up on my Colorado, Alabama, North Carolina, Iowa and Missouri. (long story, but it's my game playing style) (I haven't unlocked Montana yet)

Anyway... I give my captain the typical skills, BFT among them, and I get the ships' AA rating into the 90s. They're AA monsters after-all. But if I add in AFT the North Carolina goes from 95 to 100, Alabama from 93 to 100, Iowa from 97 to 100, Missouri from 98 to 100.

For 4 captain skill points, I get as few as 2 AA points.

So my question is.. should I spend 4 captain skill points on AFT, and not see as much benefit (percentage gain wise) as I do on lower tiers? If it was possible to go over 100 point AA rating, I'd say it was really worth it. But as the game currently is.. I'm not so sure.

Thoughts are welcome...

Thanks,

Radical_20

[HINON]
Members
8,809 posts

The number rating is arbitrary. It all depends on how much you hate planes.

[HINON]
Supertester
18,912 posts
12,446 battles

The arbitrary number scale only goes to 100. Your actual AA doesn't magically stop upgrading and can go beyond what the game calls 100.

• Cool 3
  • Bad 1

[TBW]
Members
6,319 posts
11,878 battles

If you div with CVs all of the time, maybe.

[DIEBL]
Members
1,413 posts
14,205 battles

the range increase is nice works for your secs as well but I don't know for sure cause I sadly don't own either

[NGA-A]
[NGA-A]
Supertester
174 posts
5,133 battles

Ive seen a mod that allows the scale to increase over 100 (cant remember the name) and the iowa gets up to 127 if i remember correctly with all the upgrades and cap skills.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,361 posts
10,151 battles
1 hour ago, EpicLeveler said:

Ive seen a mod that allows the scale to increase over 100 (cant remember the name) and the iowa gets up to 127 if i remember correctly with all the upgrades and cap skills.

AFT is a huge boost as it adds 20% range to your AA.

Lets use Montana with AAGM2 installed and a Capt w/o and w/ AFT as an example....

W/O AFT:

• Rating - 95
  • 20MM Range - 2.4km
  • 40MM Range - 4.2km
  • 127MM Range - 6.2km

W/ AFT:

• Rating - 100 (obviously if the scale was able to it would be higher)
  • 20MM Range - 2.9km
  • 40MM Range - 5.1km
  • 127MM Range - 7.5km

So your AA starts to fire a full 1.4km sooner with the 127's, .9km sooner with the 40's, and .5km sooner with the 20's. This is a big help and can mean the difference in how many planes get to you or even totally wiping out a squadron. When I play Montana and see T8 and even T9 CV's the planes just don't get through unless it is multiple squadrons that come right on top of each other so that there are too many at once in close to take them all out. Even then you decimate them and make the CV pay heavily. If the CV sends them in individual squadrons few if any ever get to the ship to drop bombs or torps. T10 CV's will get through with a full squadron but pay for it. Follow up strikes with damaged squadrons don't get through.

Investing another 4 pts in Manual AA might be a waste as CV's are rare at high tiers in PVP (less rare in Co-op where I play but still not every game) but 4 pts for AFT on a ship with excellent AA like US high tier BB's is not a waste IMO at all. It is actually good use of those 4 pts IMO. On my 19pt Montana Capt I run BFT and SI for 3 pt skills and AFT and CE for 4 pt skills.

Another benefit of running BFT and AFT to boost your AA is it also boosts your secondary guns rate of fire and range.  Again I will use Montana as the example and will show w/o and w/ BFT and AFT...

W/O BFT & AFT:

• 127MM Range - 6.0km
  • 127MM ROF/RL - 15 shots p/ min w/ 4.0 second reload 

W BFT & AFT:

• 127MM Range - 7.2km
  • 127MM ROF/RL - 16.66 shots p/ min w/ 3.6 second reload 

So you get a 1.2km secondary range boost and the guns fire a little faster. Montana is surprisingly good with it's secondary guns with just a Capt running BFT and AFT.

JMHO but AFT is well worth the points for the ships you are talking about.

Edited by AdmiralThunder

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,587 posts
14,010 battles
12 hours ago, Lert said:

The arbitrary number scale only goes to 100. Your actual AA doesn't magically stop upgrading and can go beyond what the game calls 100.

I have no clue why someone downvoted your simply stated fact.  So +1.

You got a stalker, Lert? :Smile_teethhappy:

OP, disregard what the AA rating is as pure gospel.  It's simply a quick pulse check to see if the ship has decent AA or not.  You have to look at the AA range groups of the ship and the DPS of those range groups.  Then you have to consider the tiers.  You start seeing enough and you know what a truly good set of AA guns are on a ship.

A ship may have 90-something AA rating, but it may not be actually good AA, especially considering the tier.

My Tier X Conqueror has 93 AA rating with a Main Battery / Survival / Stealth Build.

My Tier X GK has a 98 AA rating with a Secondary Spec.

They have 90+ AA ratings but I consider their AA as garbage for Tier X, even the GK with a 98.  On paper, they look decent in AA, but against Tier IX-X CVs with their tougher, FASTER bombers, the AA does not kill planes quickly enough.

My Tier VII Gneisenau has a 93 AA rating.  That may not sound special compared to those other 2 BBs I listed, but 93 AA on a Tier VII ship is extremely potent.

Now, whether you should invest into an AA Build, that's up to you.  Many around here will tell you that AA Builds are useless.  Then again, we have MANY threads on these boards with people ranting and raving about CV airstrikes and how the AA they refused to improve isn't enough to stop or soften up the airstrikes. 

People like to say AA is meaningless, until they see that Midway, Taiho, Hakuryu bomber group coming for them.

Then they get nuked.

Then they go cry on the boards.

[HINON]
Supertester
18,912 posts
12,446 battles
3 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

You got a stalker, Lert? :Smile_teethhappy:

I do.

My theory is that he's simply a very devoted but shy fan, as surely he must realize that him downvoting perfectly fine posts will lead to multiple people upvoting it in return.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,361 posts
10,151 battles
9 hours ago, Lert said:

I do.

My theory is that he's simply a very devoted but shy fan, as surely he must realize that him downvoting perfectly fine posts will lead to multiple people upvoting it in return.

I got at least one of those too. Follows me around down voting every post LOL (or he did for a while anyway  - he has been absent lately - I miss my little troll LOL).

I consider it a badge of honor the way people say you know you have got good at the game when you are accused of cheating in chat.

Edited by AdmiralThunder

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,361 posts
10,151 battles
45 minutes ago, Lert said:

ROFL :Smile_teethhappy:

You summed it up exactly. Sounds just like my little troll. Would even down vote things like a simple answer about something game related (not opinion but just simple fact like T5 sees up to T7 in MM). Posts that were old would suddenly get a single down vote and such too. At 1st it annoyed me like "why is that worth a down vote"? And then it humored me as I realized this little troll has such a pathetic life he gets enjoyment down voting every post I make and doesn't even have a big enough set to post something in an opposite view or own up to the down vote. It now makes me happy to bring joy to such a pathetic person's life. I feel I am doing God's work. LOL

Miss you little Troll buddy and hope you are ok. :Smile_amazed:

Edited by AdmiralThunder

[PVE]
[PVE]
Beta Testers
1,554 posts
3,734 battles

Another thing to look out for is what that AA rating is being based upon.

For instance, both the North Carolina and the Kii can get an AA rating of a 100, but the differences lies in where that AA power is focused on. Kii out performs the North Carolina in the long range AA which is particularly beneficial not only to yourself, but also for the team in providing a large AA bubble. Plus add in the 4pt manual AA skill and the Kii's long range AA is murderous let alone its mid range AA being very strong as well.

Another example would be the Lyon and the Gneisenau, both can get a maximum AA rating of 96, but their AA power is focused on different areas. The Lyon beats the Gneisenau in the mid range AA by a wide margin, however the Gneisenau's long range AA makes up for that and the Manual AA skill further puts the Gneisanau ahead.

Sign in to follow this