Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
renegadestatuz

Octavian commentary on some of the latest issues

78 comments in this topic

[SYN]
Members
4,548 posts
11,437 battles

Nope, let's make all Porsche GT3-RSs and Ferrari 488 Pistas affordable and available for everyone!  

Edited by Kuckoo
  • Funny 1
  • Bad 1

Beta Testers
220 posts

They really need to add those Space sound effects to the Camo. 8k DB is far too much for purely camo. I like how he makes it sound difficult, when really it couldn't be much more than a copy/paste here and there, which is how easy it is in WoT

[INTEL]
Members
8,588 posts
25,732 battles

This is useful. I had wondered why the space camos were so expensive. 

[SALVO]
Members
17,088 posts
17,754 battles
19 minutes ago, Spooooooooooooooooooooon said:

Always interesting to read developers mindset

But it REALLY pisses me off that they post this stuff to an unofficial site, rather than their OFFICIAL game forum!!!!  :Smile-angry:

• Cool 5

[5BS]
Members
4,766 posts

Okay, and I agree whole-heartily with the concept that FTP games are best served making their bones on Cosmetic items. Fine. Then where the HELL is the duel-flag, alt-camo/alt-prem camo upgrade for every nation OTHER than Japan? Cause I do really agree this is the RIGHT way to make money on a game like this, and since they've already done it once, they really should roll out the rest.

• Cool 2

[POP]
Members
858 posts
9,808 battles

Finally, the removal of some economical signal flag batches from Premium shop. Well, this is not some kind of strategy, but an unfortunate case. We've implemented an option to refill basic eco signals in client for doubloons. It was to be released in 0.7.3, obviously it is a very friendly option comparing to batches (you just buy doubloons and spend only when you actually need to refill). And these batches were removed from our sales plan as no longer needed. However, a bug occurred, and this refill option was ON by default. We could not let it happen, and while the plans were already "freezed", we had to revert this feature. It should be there (with correct default setting) in 0.7.4. For now - sorry for the inconvenience, but we had to chose lesser evil here.

Anyone else notice they changed the Flag Batch names and raised the prices?

• Cool 1

Members
1,697 posts
7,233 battles
17 minutes ago, kruppw said:

They really need to add those Space sound effects to the Camo. 8k DB is far too much for purely camo. I like how he makes it sound difficult, when really it couldn't be much more than a copy/paste here and there, which is how easy it is in WoT

My job is to manage software development team.  There are so many times you can say “no problem, it’s an easy fix”.  Your plate gets filled up with easy fixes real fast, to the point where it starts to take extra time away to deal with those “easy” issues, issues that steal time away from ongoing priority projects that have deadlines on them.  Do you think that they just have couple of developers that fiddle their fingers at any given time?  I bet they are all busy on tasks with timelines...

[USCC2]
Members
3,584 posts

So the space camo took a lot of time and effort to make - therefore they need to make money on it and that is why it is expensive.

But on the other hand, it is so expensive because they don't want lots of people to buy it. :Smile_amazed: Their marketing strategy is truly unique!

Edit: Ty Renegade! :Smile_honoring:

Edited by _WaveRider_

Members
1,697 posts
7,233 battles
11 minutes ago, _RC1138 said:

Okay, and I agree whole-heartily with the concept that FTP games are best served making their bones on Cosmetic items. Fine. Then where the HELL is the duel-flag, alt-camo/alt-prem camo upgrade for every nation OTHER than Japan? Cause I do really agree this is the RIGHT way to make money on a game like this, and since they've already done it once, they really should roll out the rest.

I am sure they will roll out the rest eventually, but not without using it as an opportunity for more profit.  At the very least they could make those alternative camo colors a reward for some collection or mission chain, that in turn requires pretty high XP earnings and silver earnings.  That in turn will promote sales of eco flags.  Why throw out something for free, when you can make profits from it?

Beta Testers
220 posts
6 minutes ago, Ramsalot said:

My job is to manage software development team.  There are so many times you can say “no problem, it’s an easy fix”.  Your plate gets filled up with easy fixes real fast, to the point where it starts to take extra time away to deal with those “easy” issues, issues that steal time away from ongoing priority projects that have deadlines on them.  Do you think that they just have couple of developers that fiddle their fingers at any given time?  I bet they are all busy on tasks with timelines...

If I could do it for 4 different tanks in WoT myself, which uses the same file structure essentially, in less than 30 minutes..... I am sure a dev can do it in 5 minutes or less. So I'm pretty sure 5 minutes for much, much more $ made because of a lot more camos being sold is common sense.
I am actually at work now but when I get home I am going to attempt it myself, after doing research ofc to make sure I'm not breaking any rules.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,412 posts
9,589 battles

Normal T10 premium camo price is $25.  So $40 is $15 extra.

If you already purchased premium camo for your T10 ships..  yeah, you wasted the original $25 investment.

But if you just got to T10 (or will soon), and have no camo for one of those ships in the event...    Go for it.

Members
1,697 posts
7,233 battles
1 minute ago, AVR_Project said:

Normal T10 premium camo price is $25.  So $40 is $15 extra.

If you already purchased premium camo for your T10 ships..  yeah, you wasted the original $25 investment.

But if you just got to T10 (or will soon), and have no camo for one of those ships in the event...    Go for it.

Yes, that was exactly my line of thought on getting the Paris skin.  I never paid for Type 20 camo for it.  But the reasoning behind the “no discount if you have type 20 camo” was made clearer to me in this post.  Perhaps I will invest in 3 more space skins, perhaps not.  Time will tell.  Some sort of doubloon sale may change my mind, or not.

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
9,133 posts
7,658 battles

It's interesting (to me) to see that they didn't want to sell a lot of them.  I'm sure they had someone tell them what proportion of the player base sprang for premium camouflage in the past for their tier 10 ships, what portion of the community spent money (and how much) acquiring Hallowe'en ships.  I'm sure the Kobayashi camo on Roma was carefully monitored too. That kind of data always fascinates me and it's often counter intuitive and the business decisions surrounding items like this are usually carefully monitored. 

[RLGN]
Members
8,275 posts
17,307 battles
7 minutes ago, Ramsalot said:

Yes, that was exactly my line of thought on getting the Paris skin.  I never paid for Type 20 camo for it.  But the reasoning behind the “no discount if you have type 20 camo” was made clearer to me in this post.  Perhaps I will invest in 3 more space skins, perhaps not.  Time will tell.  Some sort of doubloon sale may change my mind, or not.

Or I will just not get any of them?

It is less a matter of economics, or liking/disliking the space camos for me, than it is disliking Tier 10 as a whole.

Members
841 posts
4,880 battles
27 minutes ago, _WaveRider_ said:

So the space camo took a lot of time and effort to make - therefore they need to make money on it and that is why it is expensive.

But on the other hand, it is so expensive because they don't want lots of people to buy it. :Smile_amazed: Their marketing strategy is truly unique!

Edit: Ty Renegade! :Smile_honoring:

Yeah, i noticed that too. It is their game, they can set their pricing any way they see fit... but, yes, their stated reasoning doesn't make sense.

Members
1,697 posts
7,233 battles
5 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Or I will just not get any of them?

It is less a matter of economics, or liking/disliking the space camos for me, than it is disliking Tier 10 as a whole.

I love tier 10.  I spend majority of my time in T10.  Which is part of the problem, because I own perm camo on all my space skin eligible ships, except Republique.  I am fairly sure Paris will be the only spaceship in my port after the space battles go away.

[DIEBL]
Members
1,413 posts
14,625 battles
1 hour ago, Ramsalot said:

And I bet if the boss was standing in the same room as them watching a lot more would get done I notice this when I do it and yes at any company you will find about 30% of employees looking for any reason to twiddle thumbs (  texting friends or family is a common one I had one guy took his phone from him looked on it and he had over 300 texts before lunch hence I smashed it right in front of him) people that work hard and try to not only meet but beat deadlines are a rare breed nowadays I am sure WG prob gots a few ( at least I hope so ) cause god they make work life enjoyable and are necessary for success 

[USCC2]
Members
3,584 posts
57 minutes ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

It's interesting (to me) to see that they didn't want to sell a lot of them.  I'm sure they had someone tell them what proportion of the player base sprang for premium camouflage in the past for their tier 10 ships, what portion of the community spent money (and how much) acquiring Hallowe'en ships.  I'm sure the Kobayashi camo on Roma was carefully monitored too. That kind of data always fascinates me and it's often counter intuitive and the business decisions surrounding items like this are usually carefully monitored. 

Maybe if what is stated is the truth, then they should have made them limited additions (only so many on sale). Probably would have had people buy them much quicker and would have limited the numbers to what they feel is acceptable?

On the flip side I think that may have caused even more uproar on the forums. :Smile_honoring:

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
9,133 posts
7,658 battles
1 minute ago, _WaveRider_ said:

Maybe if what is stated is the truth, then they should have made them limited additions (only so many on sale). Probably would have had people buy them much quicker and would have limited the numbers to what they feel is acceptable?

On the flip side I think that may have caused even more uproar on the forums. :Smile_honoring:

That wouldn't have worked.  You would have people complaining they missed out.  The price they set works just as well as a barrier for entry but now the gate is in the player's hands, not some artificial scarcity.

Members
1,697 posts
7,233 battles
16 minutes ago, GuntherPrein said:

...texting friends or family is a common one I had one guy took his phone from him looked on it and he had over 300 texts before lunch hence I smashed it right in front of him...

Wow, that whole phone smashing, is that a thing in Canada?

[5BS]
Members
4,766 posts
1 hour ago, Ramsalot said:

I am sure they will roll out the rest eventually, but not without using it as an opportunity for more profit.  At the very least they could make those alternative camo colors a reward for some collection or mission chain, that in turn requires pretty high XP earnings and silver earnings.  That in turn will promote sales of eco flags.  Why throw out something for free, when you can make profits from it?

Well the USN Cruiser split is as good an opportunity as they'll get for the USN Duel flag/camo stuff.

[SIMP]
Members
833 posts
8,467 battles
1 hour ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

Usually these decisions are pretty mundane.

They have cost tiers and sales projections worked out for each tier and they have set margins they are required to meet.

They have a meeting to determine cost to produce, talk through concerns and risks and set a price.

This tells me they were going to sell them cheaper (probably the same as T10 camos) but it was brought up in the meeting about customer immersion being affected by space ships in the general population and the price was bumped to bring the sales projections in line.

Sign in to follow this